“Our first trip to Maui..our last stay at the Westin Maui”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 12 April 2009

While we loved Maui and plan to return we will never return to the Westin Maui . The rooms are very small (we stayed in the Beach Tower) and the service left much to be desired. Our first night we ordered coffee and dessert from room service. after a few sips of my coffee I looked down to see three segmented insects swimming in my coffee. After a call to room service the hotel manager called to say that he had removed the coffee from our bill! One of our children had an upset stomach and threw up on the carpet. After repeated requests to have it cleaned or something to absorb the odor we gave up. A few other notes: Mold in the shower, dirty carpet in the rooms , and the pool is uncomfortably cold.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mandmeplus3
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 10 April 2009

I read the reviews before we left for our 6 night/7 day vacation and didn't have extremely high expecations so wasn't too disappointed when I got to the Westin. I experienced the same things a lot of other people have. I felt that for a Westin, which I view as a higher ended brand in the Starwood Family, it was below par. We were not greeted by anyone when we pulled up at 8 pm on a Friday night. We had to figure out how to get into the self parking, which was full and we finally found a valet to help us park our car but no one offered to help us with our bags.

Check in was okay and the gentlemen behind the desk said we were upgraded to a full "ocean view" in the Ocean Tower. I should have right there requested a Beach Tower after reading the reviews, but figured it would be okay. The elevators are old and need to be cleaned or something - I understand that salt air/water will erode metal, but I think a Clorox Bleach wipe would have done a world of good. We were on the 5th floor so really couldn't see the ocean through the palm trees - so much for the "ocean view".

Our room didn't have to two complimentary bottles of water when we got to our room, nor did we get them consistantly everyday. And the wireless was hit or miss with signal strength in the room - for $25 a day as part of the resort fee, I would expect at least Westin could deliver on that. I am a "preferred" Starwood member and got a message that the concierge had a welcome gift for me, but when I went down, she just said that she was happy to tell me I was getting Starwood points for my stay - what? That's not a gift, that's part of being in the Starwood program.

The pool was crazy - it was crowded when we were there and the "chair hogs" were down at 7 am saving chairs that they wouldn't come sit on for hours later. Westin's policy is if a chair hasn't been occupied for over an hour, they'll move the stuff, but I never saw that happen. We chose to just stay on the beach, which was nice and not too crowded.

The location is great - Whaler's Village is right next store - I would highly recommend swinging by the ABC store in Whaler's Village to stock up on snacks, lunch items and such vs. eating at the Westin. The breakfast buffet was below average for the price - had it not been included in our package, we would have passed on eating at the Westin all together. The restaurants that are in Whalers Village are great and reasonably priced considering it is Hawaii - Lelani's and Hula Grille are great and fantastic at sunset! Black rock is a great location to snorkel at - if you are thinking about a boating snorkel trip - save your money and just visit Black Rock - lots of fish to see, sea turtles, etc.

All in all our stay was average - I probably wouldn't go back to the Westin - would definately stay in Ka'anapali area, but I would head down the beach to the Hyatt or Sheraton.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed at the Westin Maui for three nights then moved to the Hyatt. While the hotel isn't bad, for what you are paying you can get a much nicer stay at the Hyatt or, if you prefer a Starwood property, the Sheraton. We stayed on the Starwood preferred floor -- the room reminded me of a hotel room you would get at any mid-grade hotel (Marriott,etc.); I didn't think there were any "special touches" I would have expected for a preferred guest floor. We have stayed at Kaanapali numerous times at other hotels and this room reminded me of the regular Marriott rooms before they went time-share. The upscale hotels used to have robes for the guests to use during their stay as standard fare -- I don't know if this is still the case, but we had to ask housekeeping for robes to use. The hotel promises two bottles of water per room per day, we had to ask for these; in fact if there were any special perks for the Starwood preferred floor we were never informed about them. The parking situation wasn't a problem after the first night since the hotel did not appear to be at full occupancy (parking spaces at all the hotels are small since space is at a premium). The hotel appears to cater to families, so there are a lot of kids running around. On the plus side, you're right next door to Whaler's Village for dining and shopping. Our room came with breakfast every day (I wouldn't have paid the price for it out of pocket as the buffet was not worth the quoted price); our room was two doors down from the elevator, which we could hear running all night (since we decided to change hotels we didn't bother to ask to be moved). The biggest problem I saw was that there is no guest laundry facility -- the Sheraton, the Hyatt, the Marriott all have guest laundry facilities on premises -- we had to drive up the road to the coin op in Kahana; we stayed three nights since we had paid a deposit and the third night was free with the purchase of two nights. We moved to the Hyatt down the beach where we have stayed in the past -- like night and day -- much more relaxing atmosphere, more up-scale feel to the room (for the same price as the Westin) and the restaurant food is better at the Hyatt (especially the breakfast buffet); the pool area not nearly as crowded; bigger fitness room. Again, if you're a Starwood preferred customer choose the Sheraton--it's got a great beach, nicer rooms, much quieter as it is at the end of the beach near Black Rock. While the Westin isn't bad, you get a bigger bang for the buck at the Sheraton or Hyatt on Kaanapali.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stanzilla
Reviewed 8 April 2009

This was our second stay at the Westin and we were very happy with our choice once again. What makes this hotel the best on Ka'anapali is its location and the quality of rooms and amenities.

Having stayed in different parts of the hotel we'd recommend the Beach Tower which has larger rooms and is closer to the pools and beach front. All rooms have recently been renovated with new furnishings and feature the Heavenly Bed which is simply divine.

The hotel has a great pool scene with several pools to choose from but the property does lack a kiddie pool for kids that cannot swim.

You should also know that the hotel does charge a daily resort fee of $26 so be sure to account for this as you budget for your stay. The fee covers wireless internet access, two bottles of water (daily), newspaper, parking, and access to a great workout facility.

Hotel food prices are expensive but is to be expected -- fortunately the food is very good and they have several healthy options. If your looking to save money I'd recommend utilizing the refrigerator in the room by buying breakfast items at the local grocery store (Safeway or ABC) instead of the $25 per person breakfast buffet.

In addition, the hotel is located next to Whalers Village which has great restaurants and shopping including the Hawaii chain store " ABC" (equivalent to CVS) which has great prices for things like snacks and gifts.

Lastly the hotel offers a great spa (complimentary for SPG Gold/Platinum members) that features a quite room with great views of the ocean and complimentary water and snacks.

While no hotel is perfect we'd definitely recommend the Westin. Its worth every penny and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Nomadic22
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Stayed for seven nights March 20 - 27. The staff was friendly, (bellman brought us a microwave after bringing up our bags) and efficient. The room was nothing to write home about, but no complaints either. The biggest complaint that I do have is the pools. They are cold and there is no depth less than 1.2 meters (47.25 inches) in any of them. My 40 inch son could only play in the pool with someone to hold him. We ate at Ono while there and our opinion was similar to that of the room - it was ok. Really enjoyed my first Melona pop at the pool snack bar but the hotel store sells them for less than 1/2 that price. I would recommend for families with older children but I would choose somewhere else if traveling with small children.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank caseyWhitewater
Reviewed 4 April 2009

The hotel is very nice and modern. We had a room with a king bed, shower, tub, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave and it was very spacious...
There was also a little balcony we spent a lot of time on!
The facilities I had a fantastic massage at the SPA. The rooms were very clean and spacious.
Drinks on the property are pretty expensive, even at happy hour, but it's Maui, so it's to be expected.
It was a little windy on the resort in January - it usually picked up at the end of the day.
The beach was amazing - you basically fall into the water and can see fish. Very cool!
You can also find many crabs along the beach if you stay still and look for them.
A great choice for a nice experience.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank endsun
Reviewed 3 April 2009

The airport is about a 45 minute drive from the airport because of the curvy road, but a beautiful drive along the coast.
We stayed at the Westin Maui with friends from Oct 17th-Oct 22nd. I was looking forward to the traditional Lai upon arrival, sadly we didn't receive so much as a hello much less a lai. Because this was a dream vacation I blew it off because of it being so late at night when we checked in.
I am a gold Starwood member and booked a fantastic rate on their website. At the reception desk there is a Starwood Preferred Line, however no one was there so we waited in the normal line. The young guy that checked us in, was horrible. I had to ask him for the upgrade, if that is what you want to call it. ( I will get to that later) While in the process of getting our keys, our friends arrived with Lai;s around their necks. They are also Starwood Gold members. I asked where they got the Lei's, they answered at the entrance to the hotel. Someone magically appeared at the Starwood desk and checked them in with a fabulous upgrade and full explanation of benefits they could enjoy as Starwood Members at the hotel. We went to our designated rooms. The room is large and comfortable, very clean. Big bathroom, lots of room to spread out for the week. I went to the balcony to see what are upgraded view looked like. To my surprise we were upgraded to a view of either the trash containers or the top of lobby roof. If we walked out on the roof far enough we could see the pool. (Stay away from the 2nd floor, it is labeled as a Starwood member floor) This was totally unacceptable, I left a message for the hotel manager and requested a phone call the next day. The manager called the next day and offered me an oceanfront premium room with her apology, Our friends were on the 8th floor, so we accepted an Oceanview premium instead to be closer to them.
We ate breakfast at the buffet one morning. Beautiful presentation and so many food choices. Excellent buffet, but not worth it to us at 25.00 per head per day. Westin offers rates that include breakfast, but we did not select one. Our room came with a frig, which we filled up with groceries from the local market. Food is very expensive in Hawaii, be it at a restaurant or at the market. This worked well for us, as we spent a lot of our time at the pool or at the beach, so we would run up to the room for sandwich or snack. There is a mall next door and a food court. (IE: McDonalds) There are lots of great restaurants to pick from as we did each night for dinner.
Pool: Huge Pool area, Kids Pool and an adult only Pool. Waterslide. Great fun for everyone. The water is cold. Didn't make sense since the temp was high. Every morning the staff fills the pool with freezeing cold water, so be prepared.
The spa is wonderful but pricey, so bring extra monies. Staff is wonderful.
Several evenings we would arrive back late after going out for dinner. If the self parking is full they will Valet for free. We enjoyed that several evenings.
Overall the Westin Maui is wonderful and I still rank it overall as VG. ALOHA

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank missjulykitten
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!