“Not Our Cup of Tea” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not Our Cup of Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2005

My huband and I stayed at the Westin Maui and were excited when we checked in to see the beautiful lobby. That all changed when we checked into our room. We stayed on the 11th floor and had a beautiful view but the housekeeping was horrible. The hallways are dark and the bathroom lighting is circa 1960's. Although the furniture and carpets are new the upkeep is less than par. There were stains on the carpet and the furniture was very well worn. Upon arrival, we went to the pool. I couldn't figure out if it was a circus or a resort pool. There was hardly any room to walk, it was loud and they had tents where you could get a massage, schedule water activities, get your nails done, get a snack etc... If you want peace and quiet this is the last place you should go in Hawaii. We will never stay here again. Don't waste your money.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2005

I have been to Hawaii many times and have stayed at both Hotels and Condos. This time we chose to stay at The Westin Maui. I have to say that I do not understand all the negative reviews about this resort. I was raised a spoiled child and became use to the finer things in life, and the Westin Maui is no exception. If you are traveling with a family, and you are worried about the amount of space in your room, then I suggest you get a condo. The rooms are not large, but they are also not small by any means. They are average size hotel rooms. You are not paying a premium price for the size of the room, you are paying for the location and the amenities, namely the pools. We paid for an ocean view room and boy did we get it. On the 10th floor with a knock out view of the ocean and the pools. Garden view rooms be aware; waterfalls are on all night, and they are quite loud. With the door closed, you will barely hear them. For those that say they paid discount internet prices on some website and were given the cheapest room in the category you paid for, well what did you expect? Those of us who paid top dollar should get the better rooms. Ever heard the saying "You get what you pay for"? Anyway, the rooms are very comfortable, but for a family of four, I could see how they might feel small. They were perfect for the 2 of us. The rooms in the Beach Tower are a bit larger, but not much. They also come at a premium price, and I felt our view in the Ocean Tower was better, unless you get an ocean front suite. The bathrooms are a bit small, but not surprised for the age of the resort. The armoir was perfect for us. We had enough space to hang everything we needed to hang, and had ample drawer space for the 2 of us. Again, in the Beach Tower, you get a full closet. The shower heads were a little low for someone tall like myself so I had to duck to get the head wet, but the showers were fine otherwise. We had the air set to 65 the entire stay, and during the day it would stay at about 71, and at night it would stay at around 67. It never did get to 65, but it was also quite hot outside. The beds were very comfortable. No compaints there either. As for the pools, what can I say? There are no pools like them in Kaanapali. The adults pool was great for someone without children, and it was more like an adult area with a pool, hot tub, pool table and a bar. There was security to keep the kids away as well. The other 4 pools were great as well, and perfect for families of all ages. The slide was a ton of fun, and the pools were a perfect temp. The hotter it got outside, the colder the pools felt because of your changing body temp. But once the sun went down, you could tell they were heated. They were quite warm, actually. We did eat at the breakfast buffet a few times, and it was pretty good. There were a lot of options to choose from. It was really as good as it can get for pre-made food. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel other that the occasional snack by the pool, as we wanted to eat at other restaurants around the Island. The drinks by the pool were small and watered down for $8.25, and don't bother with the daily drink special as it is $7.75, a mere 50 cents cheaper. The pools did get quite crowded, but not a problem if you are an early riser. The beach in front of the hotel is great, and it gets even better up towards the Sheraton. We never had a problem with the customer service, but again we were always nice and didn't complain about every little thing, and always managed to have a smile on our face. I would imagine they get quite sick of people complaining to get better rooms when they got what they paid for. We never got hasseled by the timeshare salespeople, but be aware that when you get an invitation to come to get your free gift, it will come with a sales pitch. We were aware of this ahead of time, and choose not to go and get our 2 dollar box of chocolate. If you are a gold or platinum starwood member, you will also get a invitiation to a managers cocktail party, and we chose not to attend that either, and assumed it came with a sales pitch as well. Stay away from those 2 things and you will not have a problem. For those who talked about the ongoing painting, rest assures it is all done now. They are just improving the hotel for all of us to enjoy. Would you rather them shut it down while they are complaining? The Westin Maui is no longet pink, it is white now. All in all, it was a wonderful stay, and if you are complaining about the Westin in Maui, then you are just looking for something to complain about. How could you ever go wrong in paradise?

8 Thank FitzNash
brampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2005

We stayed at the hotel from Aug 28- Sept 5th. The hotel was great! They immediately upgraded our room to a partial ocean view. The atmosphere was quite nice with the flamingos at the entrance and parrots flying to your balcony. Lots of pools and waterfalls. Great scenery! Free portrait and chocolates. Nice people and great restaurants and bars surrounding the hotel. Excellent shopping just a 2 minute walk away. The only negative here was that the rooms are quite small for teh price you pay. But if you're not on your honeymoon you will probably be enjoying the feaures of the resort much more!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank k.s-l.Brampton
Neptune, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2005

We stayed at the Westin Maui Resort from May 11th thru May 20th. This was our 2nd time to Maui, & our 2nd time at the Westin. We enjoyed the 1st time which was in 2001 and I was a bit hesitant after reading the reviews from people on this trip to even stay there.

I got a decent rate for being a Starwood Resorts Gold Member (join - it doens't cost anything to do so). It was $260 a night with the 6th night free (we stayed 9 nights there) plus we got 35% off our meals (only lunch & dinner) from their 2 restaurants.

When we arrived we were given a room on the 9th floor of the Ocean Tower facing the mountains & parking lot. When we went into the room, someone was already in there. We went back to the front desk, the girl seemed very surprised about someone being in there so she gave us another room, on the 8th floor, facing mountains, and she said for our inconvienence she would drop the $18 daily resort fee which saved us about $160. That was fine by me. I will admit, the rooms are small, but they are clean & functional and the beds are comfortable. Feather pillows- not those hard foam ones everyone else gives you, down comforters, not the bright colored polyester quilted ones everyone else has. The bathrooms are small, the shower heads are a bit big for the size of the tub, but they work well. I usually never hang up my clothes on vacation, I keep them in my bag folded until I wear them, so the tiny armoire everyone complained about didn't bother me. I didn't hear any noise from the parking lot as others said they did. We never had to wait long for an elevator. I had heard the Beach tower had bigger rooms, we checked them out but I didnt think they warrented $130 more a night for a little more room.

The pool area can get a bit crowded at times. If you want a spot in the shade, you have to go down early in the morning and put a bag or something on the chair you want. By 9am most of the decent chairs are taken, but alot of people dont stay all day so you can usually get one that you desire (except for under the umbrella thing). There are alot of kids there but you can sit at the adult pool if you want some quiet. We sat at the main pool and it was fine. I think the pool chairs could be situated a little better - not so close to the one next to it, but I guess with so many people staying there, they want as many chairs as they can fit on the pool deck.
You can go down to the Sheraton & use their facilities like the pool, but the walkway in front of the hotels doesn't go all the way to the Sheraton- you have to walk out on the beach to get to it, so I found that a bit inconvenient. I think more people from the Sheraton came to use the Westin pool than the other way around.

They had a buffet there back in 2001 that was very good but they dont have it anymore- too bad). We only ate at their restaurants once for lunch and once for dinner at Ono's . I wasn't too pleased with the dinner choices at either place. They wanted $25 per person for the breakfast buffet which I though was way too much. Alot of people did eat there I noticed but most of them had Breakfast coupons that they got with whatever package they booked. We opted to eat at the Marriott for breakfast- French toast w/bacon or sausage for $8.75 which I thought was very reasonable or we went to Mc Donalds foir pancackes. I would rather spend money on a nice dinner than on breakfast. We tried dinner at the Marriott- all you can eat crab legs- STAY AWAY. That was terrible & expensive. The Hyatt had a nice dinner at Cascades, although I asked for one thing and got another. The waiter seemed a bit annoyed- but he brought me what I ordered finally. We did eat at Hula Grill & the sister restaurant across the way Leighlanis. Stay away from The Rusty Harpoon in the Whalers Village (that came for the locals). Kimos in Lahaina had excellent Halibut- we ate there twice. Also tried Ruth Chris Steakhouse- very good. If you want to know where to eat or have a question about a restaurant, ask a local store owner or whatever. That's what we did if we weren't sure.

Over all I was pleased once again with the Westin & their staff. We did have one day when the room wasn't cleaned until about 4pm, but other than that it was fine. The were in the process of moving the gift shop to near the elevators which makes it much eaiser from where it used to be. The parking situation - the parking lot is small and so are the parking spaces. One side of a row is for compact cars, the other for bigger ones. So you get a big car parking in a compact space, which results in taking up 2 spaces- theres the problem. We only had to valet park the car once because the lot was full (they double park them ) We were never approached by a time share/vacation club person there so I can't comment on that. I think for the price I was given ($260 a night) it was a good choice. (I know the Hyatt is $350 - $400 & up a night. ) If you can get a good rate for it, I would recommend staying here. I don't think I would pay $350 a night for it, (the Four Seasons in Kapalua charged that). The best thing to do is check the internet on the hotels website for all kinds of specials and then call & ask. The rate I got was by phone, it was lower than the AAA rate or any other advertised rate. Hopefully this will help someone with their choice.

9 Thank Yankeefan26
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2005

We stayed 3 nights at this resort. They gave us a room with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor with the garden view. Basically there is no view at all and very dark. We complained and they gave us another room with the king size bed on the 2nd floor on the other tower. But we have to promise to switch to another room the next day. So the next day I asked to review the room first before we move. Again they gave us another garden view room on the second floor and you will hear the sound of the waterfall which is so noisy all day. After a few pick, I rather choose the mountain view room on the 9th floor facing the parking lot which is less noisy. We heard lots of guest complain to the front desk during our stay. After all I do not recommend this resort, we walked to to Sheraton resort which seems much better even the pool area is not as nice as the Westin. The staff at the front desk is not friendly except one lady called Grace whom let me look and choose the rooms the 2nd day. Beware ! They treated you like second class citizen if you buy the package from the internet and will give you the worst room on the lower floors only.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank shing
Suburban Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2005

We just returned last weekend from our May7-14th stay. We had a wonderful trip with no real complaints. We stayed in the ocean tower with a king bed and ocean view. It is true the armoire is really small and the pool cushions could be replaced, but cover them up with towels and all is well. The adult pool was really nice. Drink service was adequate. All the staff we encountered were very friendly. The maid service was a bit late in the day, but the one day that it really mattered for us, I requested that they do it by 2PM and it was done by noon. Great location next to Whaler's Village. We ate at both the Hula Grill and Leilana's and felt the Hula Grill was a much nicer place, although both have good food. We rented a Mustang convertible for the week and were able to drive all over the island. I can't imagine not having a car there. One day we went to the aquarium in Maalea, then we drove up to Pa'ia to Mama's Fish House and had lunch which was absolutely one of the best meals I have ever had, then we went to the lavender farm in Kula which was a very nice drive and quite beautiful. Eight acres of all different kinds of flowers growing on the side of a volcano--you can either do a self-guided walking tour or a guided tour. The gift shop has great products for a great price. We also rented a Harley one day. If you do that, make sure you have a windshield because it is pretty windy. We also went up to Kapalua and ate at Sansei--a great Japanese/sushi place--then walked back to the Kapalau Bay Hotel and watched the sunset from their point (that hotel looks wonderful, though pretty far out of the way). We also drove down to Kihei one afternoon and did some shopping, then drove on to the Shops at Wailea (a very upscale mall) and had dinner at Spago in the Four Seasons (a breathtaking hotel). The Gemini sunset cruise was fun, but a little rough and more of a "sporting adventure" than romantic. We also did the Hike Maui 3 hour hike and that was very interesting, although for anyone afraid of heights I wouldn't recommend it. We finally did the dinner sunset cruise on the Maui Princess in Lehaina. I wouldn't spend your money--go to a nice dinner instead. It was overpriced and the food wasn't great. The Spa at the Westin was very nice. The Spa at the Hyatt was nicer, but the hotel staff at the Hyatt was not. Maui is gorgeous. If you find the historic church in Mackena, south of Wailea, it is a great place to watch the sunset. I was also told the lava fields down there are really neat, but did not go that far south.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
8 Thank guess2
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2005

My husband and I celebrated a belated honeymoon at the Westin. It was an expensive trip for us, but we felt that we couldn't go wrong in Maui.

Maui did not fail us. It's a beautiful place to unwind and relax. It's perhaps not the best place for partygoers. The place seems to shut down around 10 pm or so and we were there with lots of young families (but they weren't noisy or obnoxious) and retired folks. If you're looking for peace and quiet, this is where to find it.

The hotel was average, although the scenery was amazing from the 4th tower. The hotel is made up of about 6 towers so if you're in the farthest tower, be prepared to do a lot of walking between the lobby and/or parkade to your room EVERY DAY.

The rooms weren't anything specatular, which was a bit disappointing. Our room had a small balcony, which was great in the mornings because you could walk out into direct sunlight. Our hotel package did not include breakfast, so we shopped at the local Safeway and had cereal and fruit every morning on the balcony. The only annoying thing was having our neighbours' cigar smoke drift our way some of the mornings.

We also went at an unusually windy time in Maui. When we strolled along the beach in the afternoons, large gusts of wind would wind up blowing into our eyes and hair if we were sunbathing. It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth booking either one of the canopies (get there early in the a.m.!) or even an umbrella stand (be mindful the wind doesn't blow it on to you ...).

Rent a car, because you'll need it unless all you intend to do is stay in the hotel all day long. The roads are windy and require some care during the evening, but there's plenty to do with a car, driving about 20 minutes out from the resort area.

You'll find great eats, boutiques and art galleries on Front Street. Lots of small shopping centres (but power shoppers - you'll be disappointed. There is no Ala Moana style shopping centre here, most of the stuff is not worth buying nor can bargains be found). We also attended a luau at the Hyatt hotel, which was fun although the entertainment was quite cheesy. The beach by the hotel was not the best for boogie boarding or even surfing. Not enough waves - but really good for snorkeling.

If you're looking to save some money while in Maui, here are a few tips.

There's a fast food court in Whaler's Village, which is about 5 minutes walking distance from the Westin where you can find cheap, universal fast food (e.g. McDonald's).

You can also pick up small items at any ABC store - we loaded up on water, soda, and snacks. If you have a unit with a kitchen, you can probably find everything at Safeway. Whatever you do, avoid eating in the hotel. The average cost per person (regardless of breakfast, lunch or dinner) seemed to be about $30. You can get a really great meal on Front Street for far less than that per person.

If you're planning on spending more than two hours at the beach, consider booking a canopy or umbrella. They tend to get booked quickly (especially with families) so if you're making it a full day at the beach, might as well book it and have it for the day.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate my experience as an 8. There is plenty to see, do, and experience in Maui and you will definitely return home more relaxed. For single travellers, this is an ideal getaway if you really just want some R & R for yourself and in a safe, secure environment.

Two thumbs up.

• Stayed February 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,822 reviews
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!