“nice place”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Arlington, Texas
“nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2005

The pool area was amazing with several pools and waterfalls. There were few kids, mostly couples. The "heavenly" bed was about what you would find at a Ritz Carlton. Great location right on the main beach were all the action is. The only problem was when we checked in they were going to give me and my fiance two double beds even though I reserved a king. This was our wedding/honeymoon and I would not accept that, so they upgraded us to a deluxe ocean view. TIP: Become a starwood member so you can check in faster and possibly get an upgrade.
My now husband has stayed at the Ritz in Maui and said if he came back he would stay at the Westin instead because of it's location and pool.

1 Thank texasbeez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,313)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2005

As my rating indicates this hotel was "okay". We arrived to find that there was a prom being held that night and there wasn't a parking spot to be found. In all fairness they did valet park us for free unless you count the tip they still expected. Throughout our 6 night stay parking continued to be a huge hassle. The slots are not even big enough for a standard car much less a mini-van. I think they should take that $18 a day resort fee and build a parking ramp. We went to see the sunrise at Haleakala and needed to leave at 3 a.m. one morning. When we got to our cars we found that valet parking had double parked all of us in. We had to wait for someone to find all the keys to the cars that were in the way and move them.

At check-in we asked for a roll-out cot for our daughter. (There is no space in the room for a sleeper sofa.) Before leaving the hotel in the evening we called again as a reminder and were told not to worry. When we got back from the Whaler Village still no bed. It took 3 more calls of being told it would be there (an hour later still no bed and a very tired 7 year old asleep in our bed.) Finally after having had enough we finally got ahold of a manager and had a bed in a matter of minutes. (My brother went through the same ordeal with his bed request)

The rooms are not very big and storage is very minimal. We put our dd's items in the night stand drawers. Our fridge was very small and seemed to be putting out heat not cold. The fridge in my mom's room was twice as big and worked fine (she had a double bed room). The bed was very nice with a super fluffy comforter.

The bathrooms are okay. Not as spectacular as they want you to think but okay nonetheless. They do give high end toiletries which do have a very strong scent. We did get our daily water bottles. They say it is complimentary but remember that is also what your $18 resort fee is supposed to cover. Wireless is included which my dh loved.

The grounds were simply gorgeous!! We were on the 7th floor with an ocean front view and it was truly stunning. One thing I probably would have preferred was the sound of the ocean vs. the overwhelming sound of the manmade waterfall, especially at night. The end of March was an extremely windy time. This made for some disappointments when it came to whale watching and going to Molokini. Due to school schedules this was the only time we could go but be forewarned the weather at this time is not what we dreamed of when we thought of Hawaii.

We had no problems with the towel lines at the pool as they moved very quickly. More difficult was getting a chair anywere at the pool. Pretty much I let my child go swim within sight and I scouted out a seat or waited for someone to leave. It was the week after Easter so I expected this and tried not to get to cranky about it. The staff was enforcing the rule about losing your chair if it is left unoccupied for more then 30 minutes. They also did a very good job of keeping chairs open to guests only. My dd loved the huge snow cones they sold at the poolside food counter.

It is a bit of a stroll down to Black Rock but not really bad at all. It is close to many restaurants and stores. We also went to Safeway and got basic groceries. Since our fridge was crummy we had to borrow some space in my mom's. My SIL signed up for a Safeway discount card and then we all took turns using it.

It was a nice perk going down to the Sheraton to use their pool . We liked the Westin's a whole lot better but it was nice to have options. I would say that I saw more Sheraton visitors at the Westin pool then vice-versa. (you can tell by the color of the arm bands). My dd wanted a hair braid and when I inquired about them I was very rudely told that I needed to call the hair salon if I wanted an appt. If they don't want to talk to people then why not put out a sign explaining how it all works?

All in all this is a beautiful hotel with average services and amenities.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2005

My huband and I stayed at the Westin Maui and were excited when we checked in to see the beautiful lobby. That all changed when we checked into our room. We stayed on the 11th floor and had a beautiful view but the housekeeping was horrible. The hallways are dark and the bathroom lighting is circa 1960's. Although the furniture and carpets are new the upkeep is less than par. There were stains on the carpet and the furniture was very well worn. Upon arrival, we went to the pool. I couldn't figure out if it was a circus or a resort pool. There was hardly any room to walk, it was loud and they had tents where you could get a massage, schedule water activities, get your nails done, get a snack etc... If you want peace and quiet this is the last place you should go in Hawaii. We will never stay here again. Don't waste your money.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2005

I have been to Hawaii many times and have stayed at both Hotels and Condos. This time we chose to stay at The Westin Maui. I have to say that I do not understand all the negative reviews about this resort. I was raised a spoiled child and became use to the finer things in life, and the Westin Maui is no exception. If you are traveling with a family, and you are worried about the amount of space in your room, then I suggest you get a condo. The rooms are not large, but they are also not small by any means. They are average size hotel rooms. You are not paying a premium price for the size of the room, you are paying for the location and the amenities, namely the pools. We paid for an ocean view room and boy did we get it. On the 10th floor with a knock out view of the ocean and the pools. Garden view rooms be aware; waterfalls are on all night, and they are quite loud. With the door closed, you will barely hear them. For those that say they paid discount internet prices on some website and were given the cheapest room in the category you paid for, well what did you expect? Those of us who paid top dollar should get the better rooms. Ever heard the saying "You get what you pay for"? Anyway, the rooms are very comfortable, but for a family of four, I could see how they might feel small. They were perfect for the 2 of us. The rooms in the Beach Tower are a bit larger, but not much. They also come at a premium price, and I felt our view in the Ocean Tower was better, unless you get an ocean front suite. The bathrooms are a bit small, but not surprised for the age of the resort. The armoir was perfect for us. We had enough space to hang everything we needed to hang, and had ample drawer space for the 2 of us. Again, in the Beach Tower, you get a full closet. The shower heads were a little low for someone tall like myself so I had to duck to get the head wet, but the showers were fine otherwise. We had the air set to 65 the entire stay, and during the day it would stay at about 71, and at night it would stay at around 67. It never did get to 65, but it was also quite hot outside. The beds were very comfortable. No compaints there either. As for the pools, what can I say? There are no pools like them in Kaanapali. The adults pool was great for someone without children, and it was more like an adult area with a pool, hot tub, pool table and a bar. There was security to keep the kids away as well. The other 4 pools were great as well, and perfect for families of all ages. The slide was a ton of fun, and the pools were a perfect temp. The hotter it got outside, the colder the pools felt because of your changing body temp. But once the sun went down, you could tell they were heated. They were quite warm, actually. We did eat at the breakfast buffet a few times, and it was pretty good. There were a lot of options to choose from. It was really as good as it can get for pre-made food. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel other that the occasional snack by the pool, as we wanted to eat at other restaurants around the Island. The drinks by the pool were small and watered down for $8.25, and don't bother with the daily drink special as it is $7.75, a mere 50 cents cheaper. The pools did get quite crowded, but not a problem if you are an early riser. The beach in front of the hotel is great, and it gets even better up towards the Sheraton. We never had a problem with the customer service, but again we were always nice and didn't complain about every little thing, and always managed to have a smile on our face. I would imagine they get quite sick of people complaining to get better rooms when they got what they paid for. We never got hasseled by the timeshare salespeople, but be aware that when you get an invitation to come to get your free gift, it will come with a sales pitch. We were aware of this ahead of time, and choose not to go and get our 2 dollar box of chocolate. If you are a gold or platinum starwood member, you will also get a invitiation to a managers cocktail party, and we chose not to attend that either, and assumed it came with a sales pitch as well. Stay away from those 2 things and you will not have a problem. For those who talked about the ongoing painting, rest assures it is all done now. They are just improving the hotel for all of us to enjoy. Would you rather them shut it down while they are complaining? The Westin Maui is no longet pink, it is white now. All in all, it was a wonderful stay, and if you are complaining about the Westin in Maui, then you are just looking for something to complain about. How could you ever go wrong in paradise?

8 Thank FitzNash
brampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2005

We stayed at the hotel from Aug 28- Sept 5th. The hotel was great! They immediately upgraded our room to a partial ocean view. The atmosphere was quite nice with the flamingos at the entrance and parrots flying to your balcony. Lots of pools and waterfalls. Great scenery! Free portrait and chocolates. Nice people and great restaurants and bars surrounding the hotel. Excellent shopping just a 2 minute walk away. The only negative here was that the rooms are quite small for teh price you pay. But if you're not on your honeymoon you will probably be enjoying the feaures of the resort much more!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank k.s-l.Brampton
Neptune, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2005

We stayed at the Westin Maui Resort from May 11th thru May 20th. This was our 2nd time to Maui, & our 2nd time at the Westin. We enjoyed the 1st time which was in 2001 and I was a bit hesitant after reading the reviews from people on this trip to even stay there.

I got a decent rate for being a Starwood Resorts Gold Member (join - it doens't cost anything to do so). It was $260 a night with the 6th night free (we stayed 9 nights there) plus we got 35% off our meals (only lunch & dinner) from their 2 restaurants.

When we arrived we were given a room on the 9th floor of the Ocean Tower facing the mountains & parking lot. When we went into the room, someone was already in there. We went back to the front desk, the girl seemed very surprised about someone being in there so she gave us another room, on the 8th floor, facing mountains, and she said for our inconvienence she would drop the $18 daily resort fee which saved us about $160. That was fine by me. I will admit, the rooms are small, but they are clean & functional and the beds are comfortable. Feather pillows- not those hard foam ones everyone else gives you, down comforters, not the bright colored polyester quilted ones everyone else has. The bathrooms are small, the shower heads are a bit big for the size of the tub, but they work well. I usually never hang up my clothes on vacation, I keep them in my bag folded until I wear them, so the tiny armoire everyone complained about didn't bother me. I didn't hear any noise from the parking lot as others said they did. We never had to wait long for an elevator. I had heard the Beach tower had bigger rooms, we checked them out but I didnt think they warrented $130 more a night for a little more room.

The pool area can get a bit crowded at times. If you want a spot in the shade, you have to go down early in the morning and put a bag or something on the chair you want. By 9am most of the decent chairs are taken, but alot of people dont stay all day so you can usually get one that you desire (except for under the umbrella thing). There are alot of kids there but you can sit at the adult pool if you want some quiet. We sat at the main pool and it was fine. I think the pool chairs could be situated a little better - not so close to the one next to it, but I guess with so many people staying there, they want as many chairs as they can fit on the pool deck.
You can go down to the Sheraton & use their facilities like the pool, but the walkway in front of the hotels doesn't go all the way to the Sheraton- you have to walk out on the beach to get to it, so I found that a bit inconvenient. I think more people from the Sheraton came to use the Westin pool than the other way around.

They had a buffet there back in 2001 that was very good but they dont have it anymore- too bad). We only ate at their restaurants once for lunch and once for dinner at Ono's . I wasn't too pleased with the dinner choices at either place. They wanted $25 per person for the breakfast buffet which I though was way too much. Alot of people did eat there I noticed but most of them had Breakfast coupons that they got with whatever package they booked. We opted to eat at the Marriott for breakfast- French toast w/bacon or sausage for $8.75 which I thought was very reasonable or we went to Mc Donalds foir pancackes. I would rather spend money on a nice dinner than on breakfast. We tried dinner at the Marriott- all you can eat crab legs- STAY AWAY. That was terrible & expensive. The Hyatt had a nice dinner at Cascades, although I asked for one thing and got another. The waiter seemed a bit annoyed- but he brought me what I ordered finally. We did eat at Hula Grill & the sister restaurant across the way Leighlanis. Stay away from The Rusty Harpoon in the Whalers Village (that came for the locals). Kimos in Lahaina had excellent Halibut- we ate there twice. Also tried Ruth Chris Steakhouse- very good. If you want to know where to eat or have a question about a restaurant, ask a local store owner or whatever. That's what we did if we weren't sure.

Over all I was pleased once again with the Westin & their staff. We did have one day when the room wasn't cleaned until about 4pm, but other than that it was fine. The were in the process of moving the gift shop to near the elevators which makes it much eaiser from where it used to be. The parking situation - the parking lot is small and so are the parking spaces. One side of a row is for compact cars, the other for bigger ones. So you get a big car parking in a compact space, which results in taking up 2 spaces- theres the problem. We only had to valet park the car once because the lot was full (they double park them ) We were never approached by a time share/vacation club person there so I can't comment on that. I think for the price I was given ($260 a night) it was a good choice. (I know the Hyatt is $350 - $400 & up a night. ) If you can get a good rate for it, I would recommend staying here. I don't think I would pay $350 a night for it, (the Four Seasons in Kapalua charged that). The best thing to do is check the internet on the hotels website for all kinds of specials and then call & ask. The rate I got was by phone, it was lower than the AAA rate or any other advertised rate. Hopefully this will help someone with their choice.

9 Thank Yankeefan26
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2005

We stayed 3 nights at this resort. They gave us a room with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor with the garden view. Basically there is no view at all and very dark. We complained and they gave us another room with the king size bed on the 2nd floor on the other tower. But we have to promise to switch to another room the next day. So the next day I asked to review the room first before we move. Again they gave us another garden view room on the second floor and you will hear the sound of the waterfall which is so noisy all day. After a few pick, I rather choose the mountain view room on the 9th floor facing the parking lot which is less noisy. We heard lots of guest complain to the front desk during our stay. After all I do not recommend this resort, we walked to to Sheraton resort which seems much better even the pool area is not as nice as the Westin. The staff at the front desk is not friendly except one lady called Grace whom let me look and choose the rooms the 2nd day. Beware ! They treated you like second class citizen if you buy the package from the internet and will give you the worst room on the lower floors only.

11 Thank shing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!