“perfect family vacation”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 6 June 2006

westin maui resort and spa is an amazing place for families and honeymooners alike. We have 2 kids, almost 4 and almost 7 and spent 6 nights on a perfect vacation. Beautiful pools with wonderful waterslides, great beaches, a boardwalk, a mall next door. These are the ingredients for a great vacation on Maui. We had a car and explored a bit. Went to Napili Beach but the waves were for surfers. Kaanapali is great beach. Lahaina is great to walk around shop and dine. Went on a snorkel trip Four Winds II. Many folks were sea sick so be prepared. Lots of time to snorkel in Molokini. $300 for 4 including 2 kids was a bit steep. Went parasailing with 6 yr old and we loved it!!! Sheraton SUnsetting ceremony is neat for 1st timers. Maui is definitely high class compared to Mexico and is also more expensive. Easy 5 hr flight from LA.

3  Thank brauns

Reviewed 6 June 2006

Oh what a vacation/honeymoon I had!!!! I will start with the room, we had a spectacular view of the ocean right in front of us from the 9th floor (i think it was 9, maybe 6, but hight anyway). First they put us in some side room overlooking the roof, but my husband asked for a nother room and voila, we got it. Now, the bed: I had a totally separate vacation on a Heavenly Bed. It was so good, I never wanted to leave! The breakfast buffet - ahhh what a treat, I tasted guava juice for the first time and thought this is the most delicious thing on earth! They even have "Japanese breakfast" served at that buffet. We never dined there, I personally was dissapointed with all restaurants in that area, no exotic food, all burgers and salads kind of stuff. I traveled for 9 hours in the plain to ear a burger??? But that's another story... Anyway, the pool: while I came to Hawaii to swim in the ocean, I ocassionally tried the pool (adult only pool) Yes, there is one, and trust me, kids are not allowed there! I saw this lady trying to sneak her kid in a diper in there, but the staff asked her to remove the kid! Pee-free pool, that's my kind of pool! The beach was great!!! I hated one thing, if i wanted to get a drink at the bar, they made me go to my room and get my ID to prove I am over 21, that was a BIG inconvenience, and they don't serve the drinnks on the beach... i wish they did. The decor and style of the hotel is very very beautiful, all Japanese style, i liked that. So, I give it 5 stars, and if we ever come to Maui we'll stay only in Westin. We were choosing between the Ritz and Westing and thought Westin was more fun and we were right. We went up to the Ritz to see if we missed anything, and discovered it was an absolute bore! (read my review on the Ritz section)
Stay at Westin!!!

• Stayed: October 2004
10  Thank hyastan
Reviewed 6 June 2006

My husband and I along with our two girls 12 and 9 had a fabulous time at the Westin(5/28 to 6/2)! The pool was the best for the kids. Slide was so entertaining. The goal of this trip was nothing but R and R and we got it. Everything we needed was right at our fingertips. Concierge was great helping us make reservations for dinner. We never had to wait more than 15 min for a pool chair and the beach was just a hop away. We charged most meals to our room so we never had to carry our wallets. Food was extremely pricey but good. Must try the Seafood Paella at Tropica. It was delicious!!! The rooms were small, but cozy for the family. The bathroom shower curtain did smell a little mildewy but I was so relaxed that it really didn't matter at the time. This was a perfect setting for a family serious about getting Relaxed. It was kid friendly but in such a controlled environment. I would highly recommend to anyone with kids. Classy place and professional friendly staff. BTW- Starwood villa timeshares were tempting.. but found many resales on net for thousands less.

8  Thank LauraIsela
Reviewed 4 June 2006

I am sooo glad that we kept an open mind when reading all of the reviews posted. We spent four nights at the Westin Maui (May 22-26). As we were on our honeymoon, we were upgraded from a garden view to a partial ocean view in the Beach Tower. We were also given a bottle of champagne and candy on our first night's stay. It's true the consierge did try to schedule us to attend a westin time share tour. We weren't pressured at all. We told them we had activities booked for our remaining time and received no pressure. The pool was wonderful. It was huge and very clean. Although there was a water slide, only about one quarter of the users were children. I didn't see an over abundance of children at this resort at all. The buffet breakfast was much better than many other four star hotels we've been to. It wasn't that crowded either. We also enjoyed a very nice dinner at Tropico on our last night. The rooms were large and very clean and we had no problem with room service. The location of the Westin next to Whaler's Village is a big plus. Whaler's Village has many shops, restaurants and a food court. I would recommend this hotel to anyone (including honeymooners). Our only complaint about Maui was the daily traffic going throuh Lahaina. This made travel outside of the resort area a real aggravation.

9  Thank MonkeyFoot
Reviewed 27 May 2006

We had an ocean front room in the Beach Tower. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. However, the entire hotel is in dire need of renovatioh. Although our room had a lovely view, the carpet was dirty and stained and the furniture worn. The hotel is geared to families with small children and to conventions. Reebok was having a convention there - need I say more? We didn't use the pool because it was overrun with small children so we utilized the beach instead. We rented a cabana each day for the entire day and could come and go as we pleased which was really nice. The food is cafeteria quality and pricey, but I found this to be true throughout most of Maui. The Tropico Restaurant at the hotel is a nice place for sunset dinner, music and people watching. The concierge does try to talk you into attending a timeshare for the Westin Villas which we declined but she was pretty persistent. Also, our package included a portrait but all the dates and times were already filled so were never able to get our portrait. Overall the staff was very nice and it was a pleasant stay. A word of caution if you have small children - the ocean currents are very strong.

8  Thank funsandiego
A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2006

I was a little nervous about choosing the Westin especially after some of the reviews I read but all in all we had a fabulous time. We stayed on Maui for our honeymoon 5 years ago at the Hyatt which is just up the beach from the Westin. Comparing it to the Hyatt I would have to say there are definately a lot more kids at the Westin then the Hyatt. We felt that we were one of the few couples without a baby or small child at the breakfast buffet. So I was happy that we weren't on our honeymoon because it is not nearly as quiet and romantic as the Hyatt was.

We did find the rooms to be a little small but that really wasn't such a problem since we spent most of the day outside the hotel room. The pools were great- they were never over crowded and we always found a chair.

We did the sunset dinner for two which was one of the most romantic dinners I've ever shared with my husband. Although if you do set it up (we did through our travel agent) check with "service express" since no one at the desk or the concierge had any idea what we were talking about.

I also highly recommend the spa- my husband and I did the couples massage- poolside and it was great! There was no one around the massage area and it was nice and quiet.

Also- just a tip- if you go to the concierge be forewarned that they will try to talk you into going to the villas/time share presentation. Which is fine if you want to spend 2 hours of your vacation looking at a pricey time share. We opted not to do it but they basically pressured us to go the tour when we stopped to ask where the doctor's office was located.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 May 2006

My husband and I just came back from a multi island trip ( 6 days in Oahu, 8 days in Maui(6 at the Westin and 2 at the Sheraton just down the road) and 6 days in Kauai) and I rate the Westin middle of the 4 resorts we stayed. We had booked a king room but it wasn't available so we had to change rooms the next day which was a pain, but we were compensated with a $50 breakfast buffet voucher. We asked for a upgrade to a partial ocean view because we had mountain view but they said no way, they were 96% booked. Even tho they may have been pretty full, we never had a problem getting a lounge chair. Pool was awesome, turn your chair around and look at Molokai and Lanai! People have complained about the pool temp, truthfully, of the 4 resorts we stayed at,. they were all the same, a bit cold when you first get in, but doesn't take more than a few seconds to get used to. The room was really nice with a granite bar type counter top between the bedroom space and the sink, safe, frig area, but there were no closets which I became accustom to in OAHU where I had b4,so we basically had to live out of our suitcases. Service wasn't that great, returned to our room after 3 and we had to call to have it cleaned, plus, we couldn;t get coffee for 2 days, even after calling about it. The worst part of Kanaapali was the trip back to the resort in the afternoon (lahaina to Kannaapli about 7 miles took 45 - 1 hr) Lahaina is the place to shop. EAT at Canoes along the way, notcrowded, great service and food sushi, fish etc and hugh salad bar. Also, in Lahaina, we ate on the rooftop of the oyster Bar for sunset, unbelievable! THE BEST PART OF IT all was the beach, it was the best of all the resorts we stayed at-clean and clear.

One more thing-Lahaina Moose Mcguillicudy's has all you can eat crab legs for $25. I think it was Thurs. nites, don't miss that!

And-don't listen to what they say about that south route road (31-39?)coming from Hana, that it's too rough to travel. It was actually considered closed when we went thru and there were several compact size cars in front of us which had no problems navigating this. Really pretty, but it is uneven, but not unpaved

Tropica was really nice, but check out Whalers Village Leilano,s, Rusty Harpoon, sometimes you need to get away from the resort. Whalers Village was great to shop at too, and also had a hula show one nite for free that was really nice.

Our lanai was over the car valet, beware. 95% of them were very considerate of the cars, but there was one that abused the (rental, I'm assuming) cars, putting in park while still in motion, or burning rubber with some high performance cars.)

14  Thank SUN-SNOWLOVER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!