“Beautiful Atrium”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 3 July 2006

We loved our stay. My favorite part was getting up early (which was easy, considering we are from California and due to the time difference--are naturally up before dawn) and seeing the birds sleeping in the atrium trees before daybreak. The whole lobby was beautiful. My son loved the pools because there is a hidden grotto (a jacuzzi underneath a waterfall) and I have to confess to having a great time finding it myself. We had a lovely ocean view over the pool area. I loved walking around the beach at sunset and listening to the sounds of the Hyatt luau in the distance. It was also convenient to be directly next to Whaler's Village (which includes the Whaling museum). We never ended up eating at the hotel because we were always over at the fantastic restaurants on the beach in the village, though I heard other guests saying the food was good. I found the heavenly beds incredibly comfy and the service great. I love Westin hotels in general and tend to pick them when we travel, but this is definitely one of my favorite Starwood properties in the islands, second only to the Princeville on Kauai (only due to location--Kauai is my favorite island). On Maui, the Westin is for us :).

12  Thank Ladyhawke
Write a ReviewReviews (5,224)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Maui for 5 nights (6/18-6/23/2006) as part of our island-hopping honeymoon 2 weeks ago. I was utterly disappointed in the Westin for having put their nameplate on this hotel. It is simply not up to par with the 7 or 8 other Westins I have stayed at nationwide - period.

To be fair, the lobby is very nice, and in a "punch you in the face" over-the-top way, much like the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the big island. Lots of waterfalls, koi ponds, amazing pools, etc. But unfortunately, that's where the quality ended, as far as I'm concerned. As soon as you get in the elevators and make your way to the guest rooms, it is painfully obvious that this is an older property that Westin bought and has put their name on. The walls are very beat up, covered with vinyl wallpaper, all of the outside corners of the wall in the rooms and the hallways have this cheesy plastic angle-bracket material on them in an attempt to cover up the thrashed drywall on the corners. Our bathroom tub had a drain that simply didn't drain, and the tub was clearly the beat-up original one from the old hotel. The wallpaper in our room was peeling off all over the place, and the desktop was all gouged up. I would put the level of quality on par with a lower-priced Mariott property - not a Westin.

I should say in all fairness that in areas where the Westin clearly had done completely new construction, like the workout facility, those areas were of disntinctly normal Westin quality. It almost drew more attention to the shortcomings of the rest of the hotel, however - the fit and finish on the Westin-built sections was drastically different.

I've stayed at plenty of other Westin properties nationwide, and have always looked forward to staying at one when I have had the chance on business. This property was an absolute letdown, I'm sorry to say. The food was mediocre at best at the poolside restaurant, and the place was crawling with screaming kids - it was like an amusement park. I'm not saying that kids are a bad thing, but the acoustics in the pool area/lobby are terrible - it's like an echo chamber.

Conversely, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu on Kauai for a week after that, and there were just as may kids there, and you hardly noticed them. It was easy to get away to a relaxing spot, and the fit and finish of the hotel was worlds better. Granted, we started the trip out with a week at the Four Seasons Hualalai, so my level of comparison was possibly skewed, but even the Hyatt was orders of magnitude nicer for about the same money - and for nearly $400 a night, I would expect to see no peeling wallpaper in my room. That is straight-up Holiday Inn.

Overall, I think Westin should change the name of the hotel and maybe put a "powered by Westin" logo on there or something, because as a standalone Westin resort, it is simply just not up there with the rest of the Westin chain.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Stayed at the Westin on a vacation package through Starwood since we are members. This was our 3rd trip to Maui, having previously stayed at Embassy Suites and Sheraton. We had a mountain view room, which essentially looked out over the parking lot. Not a problem since you are in Maui and not spending a whole lot of time in your room. We did not hear any noise from the parking lot at night and we were on the 3rd floor. The room was spotless and appeared well maintained. I did not think the room was small at all. Plenty of room for all of our things in the armoire and we had packed for a 10 day stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We were asked to attend a timeshare presentation but declined and it was laft at that, no pushiness at all. Liked the hotel so much that we are planning on another trip in 2008. I can see why there are complaints about the lack of seating at the pool. My thought is you are at one of the best beaches in the world, whay hang out at the pool? We did go by the adult pool one afternoon and did not have trouble finding a chair so maybe it is just near the kids pool area. Also the pool was a pleasant temperature since I tried it to see what everyone was complaing about. Maybe the complaints are from the time that there was a prpane shortage on Maui and the resort pools weren't being heated as a conservation measure, hardly the hotels fault. All and all we were very happy with our stay and are looking forward to our next visit.

18  Thank mauijunkie
Reviewed 20 June 2006

Returned a few days ago from the beautiful island of Maui. It was our first trip to the islands and a positive one at that.

Upon arrival at the Westin we were not able to find a parking space in the lot. This happened 3 out of the 6 days we were there. Each time we let the valet area know and were given complimentary valet parking. (You will need to review your bill at check out as we were charged but it was removed upon notification).

This was a special trip to Maui for my husband's 50th birthday and we also took our 11 yr old son along. I like the heavenly bed/bath with Westin and noticed when we checked in there were no bathrobes (a little detail no big thing but again they were brought to the room when requested). When I made reservations I selected the Premium Deluxe Ocean View Room and requested to be on as high a floor as possible (to get the best view). I also mentioned wanting to be able to view the sunsets. We were on the 10th floor (of 11 in our building). About the only complaint I have is that I specifically wanted us to be able to sit on the lanai in the evening to watch the sunset and have a glass of wine. Our room was not in the direction of the evening sun so that was not possible. I would have been able to upgrade for $257 more to a room that would allow this but didn't see the value in it after already paying a higher rate for the Prem. Deluxe.

The room was in line with the Westin reputation and met our expectations. The maid even left wine glasses for us after seeing a bottle of wine sit out the first day.

The breakfast buffet, although a little pricey ($25 pp-but kids eat free with each paying adult) was good. The selection and quality of food was good. When we travel we like to get off the beaten path some and experience where the locals eat. The concierge recommended several places. To name a couple: Java Jazz-quaint, eclectic place for dinner, Aloha Mixed Plate-great place for inexpensive dinner. We ate at the hotel restaurants quite a bit as with our 35% discount on food it was comparable to other places around us and equally as good. We ate lunch one day at the Hula Grill (on the beach) which is at the Whaler's Village, just a short walk from the hotel. Food was good-no complaints. One of our more enjoyable and least expensive meals was on the drive back to the airport the evening we were leaving. It is called Da Kitchen (just minutes from the OGG airport). Small, locals hang out--large portions, very good food, great service! We did go to a luau--the Old Lahaina on Front Street. We took the trolley (for $1 pp as stated in previous reviews). The trolley stops running at 7pm though and the luau isn't over until 8:45. Knowing this beforehand I planned for us to take a taxi back to the hotel (cost was $11.50). Small price to pay for not having to bother with parking or for those who might imbibe too much.

As for the luau, I chose the table seating (recommended). One side of the table we were placed at faced the hot evening sun which wasn't pleasant but the sun goes down within a couple of hours of getting there. You're only facing it directly for a portion of that time as you are walking around looking at the arts and crafts and watching them uncover the imu. The food was okay (certainly didn't get $250 worth for the 3 of us but when food is mass produced like that your expectations are not the same). I guess we could have drunk from the open bar but it just didn't appeal to us. The show was entertaining--dancers were talented.

Back to the hotel--our son loved the aquatic playground. There are 2 water slides (one for older kids and adults, the other for much younger kids). Each morning at 9am they have slide races and the winner gets a free huge snow cone made at the pool side Sea Dogs. They also have 3 pt. contests at the basketball goal in the pool. Winner gets a snow cone or if it's an adult you get a free drink.

The hotel was not overly crowded as I had expected for the time of year we went. You do need to get out before 9am for best chair selection by the pool (as stated in previous reviews). The water was cool initially upon entering (80 degrees) and would warm up to 84 during the day.

We did not venture out from the hotel to sight see. This trip was to relax and do nothing and that was what we did. We found it extremely relaxing and quite near perfect (remember not being able to see the sunset)! We figured we could sight see the next time we're back there. Would definitely recommend the Westin.

15  Thank philisd93
Reviewed 16 June 2006

We stayed from 6/3/06-6/7/06. The room's carpeting was absolutely filthy. For a pricey hotel like this, this was completely unacceptable.

7  Thank BernaM521
Reviewed 16 June 2006

My gf and I stayed 7 nights from June 7-14 and it was fantastic!! We arrived b4 check in time, but the front desk found us a room quickly. Had a room in the Ocean Tower over the parking lot... not as noisy as some suggested except for some construction... but not bad at all. The breakfast buffet was fantastic!! Best I've had (free for 2 everyday w/ Pleasant Holidays)! Room was decent size, with space in TV to hang 6-8 items, no closet. The Bed was very comfortable! Housekeeping did accidently "misplace" my gf's swim suit bottoms, which were never found, and a Manager took care of it after 4 days. The grounds are beautiful!! With a party of 4 or more, get a pool side seat b4 10:30!! 4 or less, your good all day. Adult pool fills up fast though. The pools/slides/grotto/waterfalls are amazing!! If you are younger looking, bring your ID everywhere if you want a drink... they ID. Beer $6, Mai-Tai etc. $9. The poolside servers were prompt. TIP TO EATING IN MAUI: Make reservations anywhere and eat before 7 p.m. to avoid rushing servers and meals, cuz it gets busy!! Roy's in Kahana Center was "A+ seafood." Meals at hotel are a bit expensive and not bad, but will work in a crunch. Safeway in Lahaina Center is good for snacks and lunches and many restaurants along the beach close buy, all about the same price. Great snorkeling about 300 yards away, at Black Rock. Can rent snorkels at beach or close by at Snorkel Bob's for half the price and WAY better equip. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK MAUI, AND TO THE WESTIN!!

10  Thank ChadandChristina
Reviewed 15 June 2006

This was a great resort hotel. Fabulous pools that weren't too crowded at any time. The beach is lovely and the situation right next to Whalers village is good. We had breakfast a few mornings in the Rusty Harpoon which was good. The bedroom was comfortable albeit a bit small. We had booked a Mountain View room which also overlooked the car park. If you can get an Ocean View I expect it would be better. We dodn't eat much in the hotel. Restaurants in Whalers Village were Ok but nothing to shout about. By far the best meal we had on Maui was at Mamas Fish house at Pai'a. The food, service and location of Mamas made it a truly wonderful experience. If I return to Maui, I would definitely think about going back to the Westin.

4  Thank 2anj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!