“Ok at best”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Overall the hotel is very nice. The amenties are great, and the location is one of the best on Maui. My husband and I got a great deal otherwise we would have never picked to stay here. The actual rate of the hotel is outrageous for what it is. They need to cut their rates in half. Never pay full price for this place. The customer service there was horrible. We were never a priority and we had to ask about things several times before they were fulfulled. The pool area LOOKS very nice, but packed with children and sunscreen. The pools actually looked dirty to me. The finally complaint was on the last day we of course had an evening flight out, so we asked about a hospitality suite for a shower later in the day. We were able to book it to use. But the room was nasty and smelly, and there was no A/C. Nothing like showering without AC and sitting on a plane for almost 24 hours. Not a great impression to leave your guests with.

1  Thank SirTravelAL0t

Reviewed 23 February 2010

The Westin Maui Hotel and Spa are on a great beach with great activities but the hotel is a perfect example of poor management. Check in and check out took greater than 10 minutes with only one person helping the long line of guests. Front desk staff who could have helped just ignored the line and went on breaks. The workout area is a joke most home gyms have more equipment. The gym had several cardio machines but only had eight different weight stations for a greater than 400 room hotel. The television in my room would turn on great sound no picture. Each nigh I had to call maintenance to fix the television. They would work on it for 10 minutes and eventually get a picture(a suggestion to Westin change the television or fix the problem). I would definitely not recommend this hotel. Lastly Starwood packages internet into the resort fee but you can opt for higher speed(don't it is no faster than the resort packaged internet but costs $4.99 per day)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank travelingman1968
Reviewed 22 February 2010

There are several choices on Ka'anapali Beach in Maui and we made the right one. I was especially torn between the Sheraton down the beach and the Westin Maui. As a Starwoods Gold member staying on cash & points, everything I read online told me the chance for an upgrade was better at the Sheraton. But with young kids, I opted for the better pool figuring that we would spend little time in whatever room we received anyway.

Surprisingly, we ended up being upgraded - twice. From the mountain side of the Ocean Tower to the oceanview side and then again to the Beach Tower facing north towards the Sheraton and Black Rock (overlooking Whalers Village). Obviously, not everyone can be upgraded but if you are given the option of either the Beach Tower or the Ocean Tower, go for the Beach Tower, which has newer and larger rooms. It also has lighter and brighter halls and public areas. Each floor is designated a "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor, I guess owing to the new-ness of the building itself. Only the top few floors in the Ocean Tower are given that designation. Because the rooms are larger, our standard room also had a twin-sized overstuffed chair with pull-out bed which gave our family of four some extra sleeping space. We also had a bathroom with dual sinks, a refrigerator, safe, etc.

The only problem with the room was we had smokers next door out on the lanai. When I called the front desk to see about moving to another room (maybe another upgrade?), I was informed that smoking wasn't allowed in the rooms or on the lanais and only in designated areas on the property. The front desk manager told me security would be dispatched to the offending party's room immediately. Yikes! Not only was security there within minutes (I heard them knock), the couple next door checked out the next day.

The $25 resort fee does seem a little exhorbinant at first but when I thought about it, it really wasn't that bad. In the age of hotels and air carriers nickel and diming for everything, paying $25 each day for parking, internet access, gym access and two bottles of water daily seemed like a good deal. On a recent trip to San Francisco, I paid $35 per day to park my car, $12.95 for daily internet access, $10 per day for the gym but opted to bring my own water. If you don't plan on using these amenities then yes, it's kind of ridiculous but you can always try to take it up with management. The parking is close by and secure, the internet access realtively fast, the gym very well equipped, and the water welcome. Plus you get the free shuttles to the other Starwood properties and to Lahaina.

The grounds and pools were all lovely. We never had trouble finding two lounge chairs together among the several pool decks. The kids loved the water slide and the activties including the lei making, henna tattoos, and ukulele lessons. They didn't visit the Kids Club but it looked like it had several great programs. One night, the hotel staff set up a large movie screen on the pool deck and we watched "Beverly Hills Chihuahua." Since it started at dinner time, I ran next door to the food court at Whaler's Village and brought back dinner to eat on the lounge chairs as the kids watched the movie. Another night, the staff brought in an amateur astronomer and telescope and we did a little stargazing.

We rented a beach umbrella and chairs for a full day for $25 and it was well worth having a reserved spot under cover although there is plenty of room on the beach. The items are yours for the entire day and we didn't have any problem leaving for lunch and returning later. Other resorts down the beach that we visited (Hyatt & Marriott) don't allow these items on their short beaches, only on the grass lawns above them.

I have to admit that we didn't have any meals on property during our four nights. As many reviewers have suggested the food was quite expensive. We chose to eat next door at Whaler's Village for almost every meal when we weren't visiting Lahaina. The restaurants are diverse and the food court offers several options including a McDonald's.

All in all, it was a great experience, helped along by the upgrade, but since we spent very little time in the room anyway, I think I would have rated the hotel high anyway.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank gbtrotter
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My spouse and I stayed at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa for a weekend get away and some whale watching. First of all, you do pay a $25.00 resort fee each day to stay at the resort. It is supposed to cover amenities. Well, I couldn't get internet access in my room without paying (this was supposed to be covered by the $25.00; so for $25.00 a day we got to park our car!!!! The $25.00 didn't cover an umbrella at the beach, which had to be reserved in advance (25 umbrellas for hundreds of guests?) and it didn't even cover a beach chair ($5.00 and make sure you drag it back to the beach desk!) My advice - go to the Big Island and stay at the Hapuna Prince. When you walk down to the beach the beach boys will make sure you have chairs and umbrellas, FOR FREE! and they will set them up for you! You can park for free and the food is much, much better for the same prices. Another advantage is the great beach and yes, there are lots of whales during the whale season.

3  Thank KonaWahine808
Reviewed 20 February 2010

My wife and I, along with your two girls (4 and 5), stayed at the Westin Maui last week and had a fantastic time. We've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and have always been impressed by their service, food quality, location and overall hospitality. Our kids loved the large waterslide, the pool was a hit and the beach is probably the best in the area. The waves were a bit large one day but we were still able to go in the water and have fun.

The hotel's location is fantastic - short walk (2 min) to Whaler's village is fantastic where there are a variety of restaurants, fast food type places and an ABC store. I highly recommend the fish sandwich at Nikki's (lower level of the shopping area near the McD's - best $7.95 sandwich I've ever had). As for luau, we didn't go but we did watch the fire dance from the sidewalk that runs right in front.

For kids - the Westin is great - from free fish feeding every morning, to "kids eat free", to the water slide, to the beach, to the warm, friendly staff, this is a great hotel. Our room - somewhat small but clean and the bed is fantastic. Also nice to have a refrig in the room and stocked bottled water (no charge) every day.

Aloha.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GlobalTravelGuy
Reviewed 20 February 2010

My husband and I visited the Westin last week. We had a wonderful time in Maui despite our disappointing stay at the Westin. The pool area was over crowded: all the chaises are lined up elbow to elbow, and one day we couldn't even find two seats anywhere. If you're a couple without kids looking for a quite romantic hotel, this is not the place for you (or us!) All the elegance of the "Westin" brand was lost here.

Meanwhile, the service was shoddy: from the front desk to the waiters. We had one very helpful conceirge who went above and beyond for us, but of the 5 different concierge desks, we could never figure out where to find someone when we needed help. Meanwhile, it wasnt until Day 3 of our visit that we learned the hotel offered an entire "Activities Calendar" for yoga, spinning, etc. I guess the person who checked us in decided that we didn't need to know about those activities? The gym was lacking in enough equipment even for me, and the stationary bicycle shook like it was about to fall apart.

I often stay at a Westin in Cincinnati for work, and i was disappointed to find our room here was no nicer than that one (at $80/night!). We reserved the "Ocean Tower" at the recommendation of a friend who said its the newer building. I cant imagine what the older building looks like because we were not impressed with the room. The view from our balcony was fabulous, and probably the best part of our visit!

Reviewed 20 February 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect after reading these comments before traveling. However, I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised after we arrived. True, the rooms are small and this did color our view of this property. The small size was further complicated by the fact that they had placed a table and 2 chairs in front of a desk - which meant that the desk was unusable. The table and chairs made it somewhat difficult to move around. The prices are high but this seems to be the case in Hawaii. High prices for food and drink are not unique to this property. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We did use the Concierge but be aware that another purpose of this desk is to get you to attend a time share presentation. Self parking was somewhat of an issue if you returned at night. The spaces are very small and not all drivers seem to be capable of parking straight, in between the lines, in these small spaces. As a result, many parking spaces were simply not usable. We used the American Express travel desk, located on-site, and the staff was very knowledgeable and very helpful. As other properties seem to do, this property charges a $25/day 'Resort Fee'. This fee gives you internet access and self-parking (plus a few other things). I am not a big fan of these 'fees'. We would return to this property in the future but we would also check out other properties in the area. Our room was also located in the center of the 9th floor and we had a fantastic view of the ocean. However, the size of the room. . . We would recommend this property to a friend as long as they understood the room and parking issues.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!