“The Highlight of our Hawaiian Vacation”
Review of The Plantation Inn

The Plantation Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I LOVED The Plantation Inn. We're already planning a return trip.

We were attending a conference in Honolulu and decided to add a side trip to Maui before returning home to the mainland. In Oahu we'd stayed at the Hilton Village resort and enjoyed it but wanted something more spontaneous and less 'corporate" for the vacation part of our stay. I looked at a number of properties both resorts and more moderate hotel chains, then found an article in which someone mentioned their three favorite things on the island - and one of them was the Plantation Inn. I booked it based on the article, guest photos and reviews on TripAdvisor but mediated my expectations because the price was between 1/2 to 1/3 what other resorts were charging.

The first thing my husband said when he stepped on to the grounds was "We win!" I'm not kidding. It's intimate, lush and beautiful. Only a half a block from the main street but light years in terms of ambient noise levels. The woman who registered us, Regina, was a hoot. She had seen us drive up and already had the key waiting, along with the biggest smile on earth. By the end of our stay she felt like family.

We booked a standard room but are considering a Lanai for our next stay. Still - don't be fooled by the photos on their website - the entire property was renovated and our "standard" room was pretty luxurious. It had a beautiful tall plantation bed similar to what we have at home, large dressers on each side of the bed with extra deep drawers, a mini fridge that kept things very cold, and a vhs/dvd player tucked in the cabinet. Our unit had a nice wide bathtub and it was clear that everything - from the bathroom tile to the bedroom rug was new. The guest photos are pretty accurate of the style of the new furniture. I hope the hotel updates its website photos to match because the new decor is worth showing off. But even photos don't quite show how magical this place is when you're there.

The free breakfast was fabulous. My husband had French Toast and I had Eggs Florentine. While waiting we were served cut oranges, juice, coffee and tea. A lot of food. I was stuffed. There is also a $50 credit for two for a 3-course meal at Gerards. The meal gets pricey and having a drink or two will eat up the credit, otherwise it's fabulous and gourmet. My husband tried the scallops as an appetizer which were served raw. We were both skeptical until after the first bite. Delicious.

I would also note that we were on the property as Hurricane Iselle headed towards the islands. We were kept apprised of the situation. The staff had already arranged rooms for us at their sister resort hotel in case we had to evacuate. They put candles in every room (and there's a flashlight in the closet) in case we didn't. During breakfast the day the storm was due, the manager came to let us know they had our cell phones and to keep a small bag packed in case we had to move. They also left phone messages to make sure we were kept up to date and given status reports. Instead, the storm lessened and we all (staff included) stayed on sight and hunkered down. There were high winds but not damage. I felt secure and well cared for. early in the morning the staff was clearing debris and by breakfast the grounds were meticulously clean. Also on site were a number of international visitors - we met couples from France, Germany and England while there.

The pool is the perfect temperature and the hot tub/spa is toasty. Lots of lawn chairs and big comfortable towels available at the front desk. We often had the pool to ourselves. What I loved is that the pool is open 24 hours and they only ask that guests maintain quiet after 10pm. On my last night I went for a midnight swim and it was a perfect end to the trip.

Shout out to staff members Rose and Nancy who bent over backwards pampering us and for feeling comfortable to hang out and chat.

By the way - it's only a short drive from Lahaina to the Ocean center (aquarium) or to the resort hotels. A half block walk to Front Street in Lahaina, and two blocks to the enormous Banyan tree, museums, and the wharf. Lots of shops and restaurant choices.

Parking is free, there is wi-fi on site and there is NO resort charge. When we left I told the staff I would write a bad review so no one would want to go there and we could be assured of a room when we booked again. But I was just joking. The inn is peaceful and perfect.

Advice - more suited to adults - singles and couples to maintain its intimate and quiet appeal.

Room Tip: I don't think there "is" a bad room. We took a tour as people checked out and they wer...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KCkidwriter

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Plantation Inn. Compared to other hotels in Maui, it was definitely cheaper, and cannot argue with free parking and free 5-star breakfast every morning. Very close to front street, which made it awesome for going out to dinner, and just walking around and taking the area in.

Customer service was great. We were running late, as we did the Road to Hana prior to checking in. We called, talked to the person in the office and they stayed open until we got there so we could get our key. Couldn't ask for more.

Only downside is that it isn't oceanfront, but they are affiliated with Kaanapali Beach Hotel, so you can drive there (roughly 3 miles, easy drive) and use their oceanfront access. Was not a big deal to us, but we were being very 'touristy' - seeing as much and doing as much as opposed to laying on the beach all day.

Room Tip: Ground level room right off the pool was great!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent a week here and were quite pleased with it especially the convience to lahina. It is a few blocks from the ocean and also is near a large food store. Nthe only negative I read on trip advisor that I agree with us the rather silly dollar charge for use of the safe.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our ground floor room by the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon34895
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed for 8 nights after Christmas and through the new year. It was our third time staying at the Plantation Inn. Love this place! Breakfast is included and you enjoy it poolside. Eat dinner at Gerard's, a bit pricey, but oh so worth it! A short (literally block and a half) walk to Front St. If you love Lahaina, you will love the Plantation Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room if you have a choice, they are nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights in May and had a wonderful time. The Inn is so centrally located in Lahaina that you can walk to all the shopping and restaurants. On checkin, the staff were very helpful. Our room was at the front of the main house and we sat on the verandah watching time go by, so peaceful. Breakfast was a fresh and easy meal but the dinner at Gerrad's was a different matter. We had one of the best meals of our whole 3 week Hawaiian holiday here. I definitely recommend dining here even if you don't stay. (but please do its worth it)

Room Tip: ask for room 8 or 9
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue F
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed for five nights in October 2013. The location is really perfect, so close to the main shopping and dining street and just down the street from MauiGrown coffee, which I loved. The building is charming, room nice and bathroom more than sufficient. I was a solo traveler and chose the Plantation Inn because as a solo traveler I thought i would feel more comfortable there than in a large hotel or resort. At breakfast they always asked me when my second person would arrive, which is okay the first day but then, shouldn't they know that I'm by myself. I love traveling by myself but that made me uncomfortable. One time, I was swimming in the pool and they asked me my name and room number. I'm sorry, but with 19 or 20 rooms and a guest who is staying for five nights, shouldn't they know me? I personally would not stay there again, but that doesn't mean I can't recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bettina131
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay in lahAinA so much...we were surprised to be upgrAded to a suite that wAs newly renovated... Pool was beautiful and so welcome after a day at the beach.. Staff were so helpful, esp reginA & Sam. Breakfast was included, lovely & stAff wAs also so accomodating!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank visitor305
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to The Plantation Inn? Share your experiences!