“Awsome anniversay trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Greenwood, Indiana
“Awsome anniversay trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

When my wife and I first arrived we couldn't believe how beautiful the place was. A slight hiccup in our room as we asked for King bed and all they had was 2 beds. I will say they made it right for us as we stayed the fist night in the 2 bed room, they then switched us to a beautiful room (upgrade) that had unbelievable views! The food at the Restaraunts was excellent and the beach bars were great! We loved the happy hour(s) :)! The facility was in walking distance of many great places to eat and shop, and right across the street from a fabulous golf course that just happened to be the site for the 2011 Senior "Skins Match". We both had a great time walking around the course on both practice, and days of the match. Our family and friends even saw us on TV! We would definetly return to this facility and look forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tripplanner99
PRBianca, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort and the many options surrounding it. We apologize for the miscommunication regarding your room and bedding type but are pleased to hear that it was resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa as your choice when traveling to Maui. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Bianca, Public Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Korean first
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I had chosen this resort Hotel primarily because I thought the location looked beautiful. Right at the end of Ka'anapali beach. I was a bit concerned that the score seemed average. Out of the 30 or so hotels in the area it scored in the middle somewhere. I decided to delve deeper and read all the reviews before deciding. It seemed there was no particular reasons why it didn't score very highly. I decided to go with my gut and chose the hotel for my honeymoon. I emailed the hotel a couple of times prior to our trip and asked if it be possible for a specific room that I thought would be ideal for our needs. It overlooked the beach and the grounds and had beautiful views of the sunset and cliff dive ceremony each evening. The hotel of course cannot guarantee room but did assure me they would make a note of this request and do their very best.
We travelled from Ireland and were exhausted when we arrived. We had been up for 27hours straight. Dublin, London, LA, Maui.... but... it was worth it. Even though the airlines lost our cases for 2 days haha. Still worth it. We checked in quite late, maybe 9 or 10pm and the staff were very nice. They offered a tour of the grounds to help orient us, but we were too tired so had to decline. The check in process was swift as I think the check in lady must have seen how tired we were. Everything was ready and we were on our way to the room within 2 minutes! The lady also informed us that the resort fee had been taken care of and also supplied us with complimentary breakfast vouchers. This turned out to be a really really nice extra as the breakfast setup was amazing. It set us up for the day each morning. Chef on hand to make imlettes with a smile, excellent choice of hot foods, excellent choice of fresh fruits and baked items. Very attentive staff on hand with OJ and coffee and a smile. It really became a centrepoint to our day. A great start each day with smiles and good food. 10/10 for the breakfast setup. If your not sure about paying for the breakfast each day I would 100% recommend it. I know buffets can be hit and miss, but this one is a hit! anyway... back to my story. We arrived at our room, and it was the exact room I had requested, on the top floor of the building I had requested, overlooking the sea. There was a very nice note congratulating us on our honeymoon etc. This would be a good point to say that the condition of the rooms is excellent. I had read the hotel was last updated in the early 2000s? but it looks top quality. Nice furnishings, nice HD TV with plenty of channels, excellent air con, a good size cooler/fridge/icemaker, and plenty of storage space. Oh, and a BIG safe, not the 6inch high half size ones, but a full size one which was also nice. Iron and hangers and all the usual you would expect. Our room had two balconys(Lanai?) but we only used the one that face the sea mostly as the other one was overlooked by some other rooms. This was fine, the other one was just a bonus really. The bed is really comfortable and I slept 9 hours each night, uninterrupted. Beautiful. So peaceful. Opening the balcony door in early morning at sunrise and all you would hear is the gentle lapping of the waves.
We went for a morning swim at Dawn most mornings because our sleep cycle ended up being 9 or 10pm till 6am. This was fine though, it was great to get early starts and get down for breakfast for 7am. I would recommend a morning swim if you are awake. We saw a green sea turtle swim right under our feet while snorkling in the morning. My wife saw a Ray one morning too.
So, a couple of things to help with your trip.
Whalers village is only 5minute walk at most. Maybe 200 or 300 yards from hotel. I had heard people say it was a drive only etc. Are you crazy? :) It's right there. 5minute walk. Yo can drive though if you want to buy alot of stuff and don't want to carry it back. plenty of parking off the Ka'anapali parkway. It has 40 or 50 shops. Tshirts, Jewelry, ABC stores for beer/suncream/groceries etc and McDonalds, and some restaurants, and everything else you would need. It's very nice.
Second point, I would recommend a car. I assume most would have one anyway as Americans seem to go everywhere by car, and I think its was 95% americans at the resort and in the area in general. I only saw 2 other Europeans. I guess its a long way to come.:) The reason I would recommend a car? Well there are some lovely beaches that I thought were even better than Ka'anapali beach and they are only 10minutes drive north up the coast. Napili bay being one. Plenty of street parking once you get up there by 1030 or 11am. If you try and arrive inthe afternoon you will have ZERO chance of finding parking, s make it a day trip and go in the morning, and have lunch there at the Napili beach hotel restaurant, which is very reasonably priced and has wonderful menu and views of the bay.
There are also some other more private beaches along the same road. Explore. :)
We also drove to visit the Haleakea crater one day. We didn't bother with the sunset/sunrise though as it was too much to get up at 3am to start driving etc, or to drive home at 8pm in the dark. So we did a day trip. Leaving hotel at 730 and arriving at the summit about 3 hours later. The views were spectacular, 10,000ft. Up above the clouds. I know people say it is cold etc, so we took hoodies but didn't use them. Sure it was obviously colder than sea level but not as cold as I had expected. We were fine in our shorts and T-shirts. Mind you, we are from Ireland so what we think is cold is probably freezing for someone from California etc. :)
We also visited Maui Ocean Centre on the way back in the afternoon as its on the same route. Well worth the steep admission fee. You should put aside at least 2 hours for the visit. so much to see.
We booked a Catamaran trip from the pool attendents office. They were very helpful and rang the catamaran people and set it all up. It seemed price at 120usd each, but... it was worth it. It wa son the Terelani 2 and the staff on the boat were excellent. The price included an all yo can eat lunch f salad and burgers and hotdogs freshly BBQ'd on the boat, plus an open bar with cocktails and beers (once you were done snorkling for the day). I had a great time, and considering the trip, all the equipment included, the lunch and the 3 or 4 beers I had, all of a sudden 120 seemed like great value.
We also then did the highway to hana drive another morning. Left at 7am, and got home at about 9pm at night. It's a long day, but so worth it. We bought an audio CD in boss frogs rental shop that tells you all about the drive as you do it. Each track is linked to am ile marker so you can hear relevant info as you drive, very nice for 8 or 9 bucks. well worth it.
We bought sandwiches in Piea, the last town before the highway starts proper. Good move, I would have bought more sandwiches as its along drive. We stopped along th way for photos of course. At the end of the highway to Hana at the seven pools, we parked and did the walk to the waterfall. It was almost 2 miles of uphill walking, but.... the reward was magical. Through the bamboo forrest I had heard so much about and then out to see the highest waterfall I have ever seen in my life. It's beautiful. Like something out of avatar or lost. :)
anyway, get a car as Maui has alot more to offer than just 2 weeks by a pool. Even if the hotel is wonderful. Always enough space, always enough sun loungers, and the staff were always genuinely friendly and warm. Aloha spirit is alive and well at this hotel. Every member of staff I interacted with, from gardeners, to room attendents, to bellhops, to barmen, to breakfast staff, were the embodiment of the Aloha spirit. They are a credit to the hotel and make it a warm place to be not just a glitzy luxury hotel with no spirit.
So thats pretty much it really. I'll attach some photos I took.

Room Tip: Look at the map of the hotel and decide where you would like to be, then email in advance to request...
1 Thank mcgon1979
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Unless you're looking to stay at a run down, overpriced, glorified day care, do NOT stay at the Sheraton Maui. The rooms are very worn down, the towels are just big rags (super thin), and the staff was less than accommodating while we trying to enjoy our honeymoon... No room upgrades were offered or available, no late checkout available, the list goes on. Overall, unless you get an amazing deal, I would look elsewhere to stay!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Aloha,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. At the Sheraton Maui we take pride in providing warm and engaging service to our guests and spreading the spirit of Aloha and we truly apologize that you were unable to enjoy your time with us. Your comments are valued and have been forwarded to upper management for review. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to visit these concerns and resolve them for future guests. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back one day and provide you with a true Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa experience.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

I last stayed at the Sheraton Maui 30 years ago and loved it. It's been totally revamped since then and is better than ever. The pool area is magnificent and the new blocks of rooms up on the cliff have an uninterrupted view of the ocean looking out towards the Islands of Lanai & Molokai....the sunsets from every room are stunning. The beach has beautiful white sand, swimming is safe and for those that snorkel and scuba dive, you're in for a treat! Whalers village just 5 minutes walk along the boardwalk is a great place to shop and eat. We had a great 10 day stay, wish it had been longer.

Room Tip: Room 6306.....the best!!
2 Thank saintf
Aloha,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It is great that you were able to return after 30 years! Thank you for sharing your experience at the resort and we hope to welcome you back again to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.

Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We arrived pretty tired after an early flight out of PDX into OGG. We found the place quite easily and asked if we could check in early. My wife and I were upgraded from a garden view room to an oceanfront room. I asked if there was a charge and they informed me that it was a free upgrade for our honeymoon. We were pleased to find a clean room with two small bottles of sparkling wine. I'm bad at identifying those sort of things. The bed was extremely comfortable. The resort is also very quiet at night.

I didn't eat at the restaurants because I heard they were pretty expensive. Sorry, I cannot recommend or not recommend them.

Want a possible upgrade on your honeymoon? Book with Journey Travel. If the Sheraton has an empty room, they may be able to give you an upgrade for no additional cost.

1 Thank eric m
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.

Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Since it was our honeymoon, they have promised us to upgrade our room if there's availability and a free champlain. When we first arrive, the lady at the front desk first offered us to upgrade our room to ocean view to 50 dollars per night. Of course we didn't upgrade since 50 dollars per night was WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than the upgrade offer from expedia. Then she offered us a "honeymoon discount" at 25 dollars per night, which we didn't want since they promised us a free upgrade with availability. She then scared us by telling us that there might not be a king size bed available on the current room that we've booked. She might have to make us to stay on rooms with 2 queen size bed... for our honeymoon. The arrival was late at night, and so we tried to accept what we were given since we were all exhausted. The room we were given was the crappiest hotel room I've ever seen. It was in worse shape than all the 3 star hotel that I've ever seen. There was no bathtub (I didn't understand why she's given me a wheelchair accessible shower), and everything was just so worn down. Even though we were so exhausted, my husband had to call the front desk to complain. The lady at the front desk FINALLY upgraded us for free, and we were moved to a way better room. I would say the new room is still not quite a four star standard, but it was already way better than the previous room. At the end, I didn't get any champlain at at all. I will try to stay close to Sheraton next time for the Black Rock spot, but NOT in Sheration.

1 Thank Jeanni123
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback from your recent stay with us. Our most sincere apologies for the miscommunications and inconveniences experienced during your stay. At the Sheraton Maui we pride ourselves in warm, engaging and understanding service and experiences and it is dissapointing that this was not received during your time here. We truly value your comments and appreciate the opportunity to resolve these miscommunications in the furture and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa and show you what true Aloha spirit is.

Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

THE GOOD NEWS: We live in Honolulu, hadn't been to Maui in 5 years & had a great vacation. The widespread openness of this vast Starwood property doesn't feel like you're with mobs of tourists, even at 80+% occupancy. Spent one morning at the meandering pool, floating along in a beanbag chair provided by the hotel...wished they could've cut the hedges a bit so I could see more of the ocean. Loved the Hawaiian music wafting throughout the property.

Our room #3534 was on the 5th floor, had a great ocean view just barely above the trees. Room was spacious, clean, had iron & ironing board, k/s bed very comfy with pillows that felt like lying in a cloud, & an empty mini-refrig for you to fill ( Safeway & Longs are 3 stoplights heading toward Lahaina).. Turn off the A/C, open the glass doors & let the sound of the ocean put you to sleep...ahhhhh. Hotel is within walking distance of other Kaanapali hotels & Whaler's Village, along a paved beach walk.

Our friends snorkled by Black Rock & saw lots of fish, 3 mantas (no, they're not those nasty stingrays), & turtles. Golfed at Kaanapali's Royal Course - great condition, lots of bunkers, windy, interesting greens, GPS on cart but no tips how to play the hole (darn!)...no course restaurant at this writing, but beverage cart will tide you over...Took the windy drive past Kapalua on a mission to get Julia's banana bread in Kahakuloa Village - beautiful vistas of mountain & ocean, with about two-mile stretch of single-lane road which made me glad I wasn't driving. Advice: Be patient, hug the side of the road & pray! If you're up for more adventure, keep going to the art gallery at the Point - nice stuff, make sure you look into the gorgeous valley in back.

THE BAD NEWS: A daily $25 resort charge is added, which includes self-parking (get a car), Internet, pool toys & towels, etc...Hot tub had one jet working (it's the one farthest from the steps)... No venting fan in bathroom, so leave the sliding glass doors open & put those ocean breezes to work....Hair dryer handle had sticky dried-on hair goo, & didn't start until the RESET button was pushed a few times...Funky in-room coffeemaker makes 2 cups of coffee without a carafe, so you gotta be alert & change up the cups before the first one overflows (a reflex test before you've had your coffee in the morning!). Had to leave & go back to the real world...shucks!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kahiau
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at the resort relaxing in the pool, snorkeling at Black Rock and enjoying the comforts of your room. It is great to hear that you were able to revisit Maui after 5 years! Thank you for the feedback regarding features in your guest room; your comments have been forwarded to the proper departments for review. We appreciate your time and hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.