“Wonderful Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Wonderful Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

My DH and I stayed here for 10 days (3 additional due to Irene canceling our flights back home). Upon arrival be were upgraded from a resort view room to an ocean view room on the 8th floor in the building on black rock. The view was stunning and the room was heaven. The room was enormous, with a living room area, wet bar with fridge, sink and microwave and a separate sleeping area with a king bed. There were 2 lanais one much larger than the other with a table and 2 chairs. The bathroom was also quite large with a separate water closet. The grounds are very well maintained as are the interior common areas. The property is large so if you have difficulty ambulating (or you prefer not to walk any distance) then this may not be the place for you. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Angelica at the front desk was a gem! The pool was beautiful and there were 2 bars within a short distance from our loungers. Cold/frozen fresh pineapple chucks were passed daily poolside. We had snack type food at the bar- it was adequate. We were offered a distress rate due to Hurricane Irene and were permitted to stay in the same room. We were offered use of a hospitality room on our last day since we had a 10:30pm flight. Is this the Four Seasons? No but it doesn't claim to be. If you want the Four Seasons then you shouldn't be staying at a Sheraton. If you want a lovely resort with very good amenities and a fabulous location (with a free shuttle into Lahaina) then this place cannot be beat! We will absolutely return. The $25 resort fee covers the internet service (ethernet cable was provided in the room), parking and the shuttle.

2 Thank lob
PRBianca, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Aloha,

It is always a pleasure to hear to about a guests experience at our resort. We are happy that you enjoyed your room on top of Black Rock and were able to lounge by our pool and relax. Thank you for taking the time to share your memories with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.

Bianca, PR Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Korean first
NL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Poor Quality Poor Rooms, not really impressive. Location is reasonable.
Spa treatment for facial is very poor.

1 Thank ATNT
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay with us. At the Sheraton Maui we take pride in providing warm and engaging service to our guests and spreading the spirit of Aloha and we truly apologize that you were unable to enjoy your time with us. Your comments are valued and have been forwarded to upper management for review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay and for allowing us the opportunity to visit these concerns and resolve them for future guests. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back one day and provide you with a true Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa experience.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

This hotel is pretty lavish when you arrive, because of the way the lobby looks at the ocean, but the rest is pretty average. Upon checking in we got upgraded from a standard room, to a Deluxe Ocean View on the 8th floor, two rooms away from the Penthouse, or equivalent. If it weren't for the room, it would have been a 3-star rating, because of the childish/gimmicky pool situation, and the difficulty of getting from our room (on the black rock/cliff) to the lobby. To conclude the trip, I much prefer Wailea, and staying at the Four Seasons, it is DEFINITELY worth the price!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your guest room on the 8th floor on top of historic Black Rock! Because the resort was the first built in Ka'anapali we are situated on the best stretch of beach as well as literally built right on top of a historical landmark. Due to the rock formation, that side of the resort has some tricky paths to get by so as to not disturb the entity of Black Rock. We understand that this can make the trip towards the lobby more of an adventure and apologize for any inconveniences it might have caused you during your stay. We appreciate your comments regarding our pool area and have passed them on to upper management to review. We hope that you will be able to visit Maui again soon and give the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa as well as Ka'anapali another try!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa for our honeymoon. As it was our honeymoon we decided to book the Delux Ocean Front room and found a deal for $648 AU per night (inc breakfast).
It was simply not worth the money!

- We couldn’t see the ocean from our room unless we actually stepped outside on to the patio.
- The room was small, furnishings were nothing special.
- Breakfast was good but not great.
- The restaurant on site has below average food.
- Pool was OK (average).
- Beach in front of the resort is nice... however the resort charges you a ridiculous amount if you want to hire their sun lounge chairs.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay but didn’t meet our expectations. I believe Maui in general has overpriced accommodation,

My advice is, hire a car and find better accommodation!

Room Tip: Find the best deal online
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Angela T
PRBianca, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your honeymoon stay. We understand the importance of a special celebration trip and it is dissapointing to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your comments and the opportunity to look into your concerns so as to resolve them for future guests. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back and provide you with a proper Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa experience.

Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

When my wife and I first arrived we couldn't believe how beautiful the place was. A slight hiccup in our room as we asked for King bed and all they had was 2 beds. I will say they made it right for us as we stayed the fist night in the 2 bed room, they then switched us to a beautiful room (upgrade) that had unbelievable views! The food at the Restaraunts was excellent and the beach bars were great! We loved the happy hour(s) :)! The facility was in walking distance of many great places to eat and shop, and right across the street from a fabulous golf course that just happened to be the site for the 2011 Senior "Skins Match". We both had a great time walking around the course on both practice, and days of the match. Our family and friends even saw us on TV! We would definetly return to this facility and look forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tripplanner99
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort and the many options surrounding it. We apologize for the miscommunication regarding your room and bedding type but are pleased to hear that it was resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa as your choice when traveling to Maui. We look forward to welcoming you back!

dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I had chosen this resort Hotel primarily because I thought the location looked beautiful. Right at the end of Ka'anapali beach. I was a bit concerned that the score seemed average. Out of the 30 or so hotels in the area it scored in the middle somewhere. I decided to delve deeper and read all the reviews before deciding. It seemed there was no particular reasons why it didn't score very highly. I decided to go with my gut and chose the hotel for my honeymoon. I emailed the hotel a couple of times prior to our trip and asked if it be possible for a specific room that I thought would be ideal for our needs. It overlooked the beach and the grounds and had beautiful views of the sunset and cliff dive ceremony each evening. The hotel of course cannot guarantee room but did assure me they would make a note of this request and do their very best.
We travelled from Ireland and were exhausted when we arrived. We had been up for 27hours straight. Dublin, London, LA, Maui.... but... it was worth it. Even though the airlines lost our cases for 2 days haha. Still worth it. We checked in quite late, maybe 9 or 10pm and the staff were very nice. They offered a tour of the grounds to help orient us, but we were too tired so had to decline. The check in process was swift as I think the check in lady must have seen how tired we were. Everything was ready and we were on our way to the room within 2 minutes! The lady also informed us that the resort fee had been taken care of and also supplied us with complimentary breakfast vouchers. This turned out to be a really really nice extra as the breakfast setup was amazing. It set us up for the day each morning. Chef on hand to make imlettes with a smile, excellent choice of hot foods, excellent choice of fresh fruits and baked items. Very attentive staff on hand with OJ and coffee and a smile. It really became a centrepoint to our day. A great start each day with smiles and good food. 10/10 for the breakfast setup. If your not sure about paying for the breakfast each day I would 100% recommend it. I know buffets can be hit and miss, but this one is a hit! anyway... back to my story. We arrived at our room, and it was the exact room I had requested, on the top floor of the building I had requested, overlooking the sea. There was a very nice note congratulating us on our honeymoon etc. This would be a good point to say that the condition of the rooms is excellent. I had read the hotel was last updated in the early 2000s? but it looks top quality. Nice furnishings, nice HD TV with plenty of channels, excellent air con, a good size cooler/fridge/icemaker, and plenty of storage space. Oh, and a BIG safe, not the 6inch high half size ones, but a full size one which was also nice. Iron and hangers and all the usual you would expect. Our room had two balconys(Lanai?) but we only used the one that face the sea mostly as the other one was overlooked by some other rooms. This was fine, the other one was just a bonus really. The bed is really comfortable and I slept 9 hours each night, uninterrupted. Beautiful. So peaceful. Opening the balcony door in early morning at sunrise and all you would hear is the gentle lapping of the waves.
We went for a morning swim at Dawn most mornings because our sleep cycle ended up being 9 or 10pm till 6am. This was fine though, it was great to get early starts and get down for breakfast for 7am. I would recommend a morning swim if you are awake. We saw a green sea turtle swim right under our feet while snorkling in the morning. My wife saw a Ray one morning too.
So, a couple of things to help with your trip.
Whalers village is only 5minute walk at most. Maybe 200 or 300 yards from hotel. I had heard people say it was a drive only etc. Are you crazy? :) It's right there. 5minute walk. Yo can drive though if you want to buy alot of stuff and don't want to carry it back. plenty of parking off the Ka'anapali parkway. It has 40 or 50 shops. Tshirts, Jewelry, ABC stores for beer/suncream/groceries etc and McDonalds, and some restaurants, and everything else you would need. It's very nice.
Second point, I would recommend a car. I assume most would have one anyway as Americans seem to go everywhere by car, and I think its was 95% americans at the resort and in the area in general. I only saw 2 other Europeans. I guess its a long way to come.:) The reason I would recommend a car? Well there are some lovely beaches that I thought were even better than Ka'anapali beach and they are only 10minutes drive north up the coast. Napili bay being one. Plenty of street parking once you get up there by 1030 or 11am. If you try and arrive inthe afternoon you will have ZERO chance of finding parking, s make it a day trip and go in the morning, and have lunch there at the Napili beach hotel restaurant, which is very reasonably priced and has wonderful menu and views of the bay.
There are also some other more private beaches along the same road. Explore. :)
We also drove to visit the Haleakea crater one day. We didn't bother with the sunset/sunrise though as it was too much to get up at 3am to start driving etc, or to drive home at 8pm in the dark. So we did a day trip. Leaving hotel at 730 and arriving at the summit about 3 hours later. The views were spectacular, 10,000ft. Up above the clouds. I know people say it is cold etc, so we took hoodies but didn't use them. Sure it was obviously colder than sea level but not as cold as I had expected. We were fine in our shorts and T-shirts. Mind you, we are from Ireland so what we think is cold is probably freezing for someone from California etc. :)
We also visited Maui Ocean Centre on the way back in the afternoon as its on the same route. Well worth the steep admission fee. You should put aside at least 2 hours for the visit. so much to see.
We booked a Catamaran trip from the pool attendents office. They were very helpful and rang the catamaran people and set it all up. It seemed price at 120usd each, but... it was worth it. It wa son the Terelani 2 and the staff on the boat were excellent. The price included an all yo can eat lunch f salad and burgers and hotdogs freshly BBQ'd on the boat, plus an open bar with cocktails and beers (once you were done snorkling for the day). I had a great time, and considering the trip, all the equipment included, the lunch and the 3 or 4 beers I had, all of a sudden 120 seemed like great value.
We also then did the highway to hana drive another morning. Left at 7am, and got home at about 9pm at night. It's a long day, but so worth it. We bought an audio CD in boss frogs rental shop that tells you all about the drive as you do it. Each track is linked to am ile marker so you can hear relevant info as you drive, very nice for 8 or 9 bucks. well worth it.
We bought sandwiches in Piea, the last town before the highway starts proper. Good move, I would have bought more sandwiches as its along drive. We stopped along th way for photos of course. At the end of the highway to Hana at the seven pools, we parked and did the walk to the waterfall. It was almost 2 miles of uphill walking, but.... the reward was magical. Through the bamboo forrest I had heard so much about and then out to see the highest waterfall I have ever seen in my life. It's beautiful. Like something out of avatar or lost. :)
anyway, get a car as Maui has alot more to offer than just 2 weeks by a pool. Even if the hotel is wonderful. Always enough space, always enough sun loungers, and the staff were always genuinely friendly and warm. Aloha spirit is alive and well at this hotel. Every member of staff I interacted with, from gardeners, to room attendents, to bellhops, to barmen, to breakfast staff, were the embodiment of the Aloha spirit. They are a credit to the hotel and make it a warm place to be not just a glitzy luxury hotel with no spirit.
So thats pretty much it really. I'll attach some photos I took.

Room Tip: Look at the map of the hotel and decide where you would like to be, then email in advance to request...
1 Thank mcgon1979
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Unless you're looking to stay at a run down, overpriced, glorified day care, do NOT stay at the Sheraton Maui. The rooms are very worn down, the towels are just big rags (super thin), and the staff was less than accommodating while we trying to enjoy our honeymoon... No room upgrades were offered or available, no late checkout available, the list goes on. Overall, unless you get an amazing deal, I would look elsewhere to stay!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Aloha,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. At the Sheraton Maui we take pride in providing warm and engaging service to our guests and spreading the spirit of Aloha and we truly apologize that you were unable to enjoy your time with us. Your comments are valued and have been forwarded to upper management for review. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to visit these concerns and resolve them for future guests. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back one day and provide you with a true Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa experience.