“Great Time at the Resort”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 December 2012

As a Platinum member, my family (and my sisters) were really taken care of.
We were upgraded to an awesome suite, that had a master bedroom and an additional living room with extra bathroom, which connected to my sister room, through the balcony and front door. Seem we had a section of the hotel to ourselves.....
The only downside that I can think of....it sure was tough to actually find our room(s) which turned out to be top floor, but the resort is so huge, it was like a maze to the unfamiliar. But once we knew where we were at....turned out great.
Would have nice for the bellboys to just take us there in their golf cart.

Prior to the hotel arrival, first stop when we arrived was Costco to ensure we had snacks for the kids and drinks for us adults. Also bought snorkeling gear there. This worked out perfect.

Beach was great, even went cliff jumping off of black rock, in addition to some pretty good snorkeling right there.

Wife and I took morning runs, and nightly walk to check out other places. This place has to be the best in the area, and platinum status really was worthwhile (although no lounge)

Kids loved the pool area, seemed to be there most of free time (or maybe they were at the beach)

We did a variety of activities:
Hotel Luau was fun
Snorkeling trip on a catamaran
Ziplining
Parasailing......
Wife didn't like the parasailing too much, since she seemed to get dizzy from the height.

Didn't actually eat at any of the hotel restaurants, so can't comment. Drinks were expensive, but I had my own. A short distance away was a McDonalds, walked there a couple mornings to pick up breakfast for the family. I didn't seem to eat much on the trip though.

Great time at a great place.....headed to the Sheraton Waikiki when we left here....Tough to actually choose which place was better, both were very nice....
I think I enjoyed this portion more, since less crowded, the wife and kids probably enjoyed Waikiki more with all the shopping....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank R C
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for being loyal Starwood guests. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back sometime soon!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

We took 3 rooms for 6 people from December 24 - 30, 2012. The campus is big and stunningly beautiful and that's where an 'outstanding' rating ends for the Sheraton, Maui. For what you pay for, the value is average. For example, breakfast buffet is overpriced for what you get and don't sit down past 10:30 am because they stop replenishing the buffet at 10:50. Service at Black Rock Restaurant was very good and courteous as was valet and concierge. They are terribly understaffed at the front desk, poolside bars and pool services hut. As a result, poolside hut personnel were surly. By 8:00 am, all poolside chairs are taken for the day and they charge for chairs on the beach, so get ready to compete if you want to sit...very stressful for 6 people trying to stay together. Also, garbage cans are overflowing by 2 pm every day with food, diapers, bottles, cans, etc. Disgusting! This is not the Ritz or Four Seasons (which we have stayed at), so as long as you keep expectations in line, you should be satisfied. Beautiful venue makes up for short comings.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank beentheredonethat97
Reviewed 28 December 2012

The rooms were clean and well furnished. The pool area was good,I didn't like paying for a beach chair after I paid so much for the room.Chairs at the pool were first come first serve.The Black Rock was a great place for beginners to snorkel. It was right out the door. If you snorkel a lot you can start here but you may want to try a few other places. It was nice but not a lot of colorful fish. The breakfast buffet can be skipped, it was the price of a fancy casino but with less food. If it was $15 cheaper I would have gotten my moneys worth. The hotel was in a great location.Close to shopping and food. Go to Front street to find more restaurants and shops. The valets were very nice here they always asked if you need directions . They had coupons for some places don't be afraid to ask what they have, You might be going there anyway. We didn't have drinks here so I can't say anything about the bars. The free wi-fi was plenty fast I didn't need to upgrade.Just sent pictures and emails and surfed the web for nearby attractions no work.If you have a choice between here and the Weston stay here the beach was better here. Thanks to my boss at Aaac service heating and cooling Mcdonough for picking up the tab.Sorry I had to throw that in. I recommend this hotel for family,couples,business. I almost forgot the reason I didn't give it 5 stars, the pillows were bad, way to soft. We asked for a different kind but they were no good. My neck was sore every morning.My pillow must be firm. If you like soft pillows you will be ok.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RodDaly
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We took a cruise around Hawaii for our honeymoon five years ago and had a great time, so we decided to come back for our 5-year anniversary this past August. Not knowing much about Maui hotels, we had originally planned to stay at the cheapest place we could find that didn't seem sketchy. However, we ultimately decided to stick with a "safe" brand name and went with the Sheraton Maui, which was more expensive but still within our budget. It was only after we arrived that we found out how great of an experience this hotel was, from the location to the amenities to the accommodating staff.

We arrived at the hotel a few hours before check-in time and our room wasn't ready, but not to worry since the hostess at the front desk proactively and promptly re-booked us to a room with an even better view. We had reserved a "partial ocean view" room, but there was nothing partial about the view, which overlooked the expansive and green hotel courtyard, the entire stretch of beach in front of the hotel, and not to mention the Pacific Ocean for miles. No complaints about the room itself either - large and clean with a balcony that was large enough for an entire family to hang out on.

The hotel itself is located in the resort area of Kaanapali and in front of the best stretch of Kaanapali Beach next to Black Rock. Although that part of the beach was quite popular, there was a lot of sand to go around such that we could lay out our big beach blanket with plenty of space leftover. We snorkeled around Black Rock, which had calm clear water and schools of fish to boot. Kaanapali is on the side of the island that is always sunny, and it was reliably 80 degrees and sunny every day we were there.

If we had not rented a car and had no means of transportation, we could've still spent our entire vacation at the Sheraton, which had several restaurants and lots of daily events on the beach and on the hotel grounds, including luaus and paddleboarding lessons. The hotel is within walking distance of several other resorts along the beach, and a long walk or short taxi ride to the town of Lahaina which is sort of like a downtown Maui with lots of restaurants and shops.

For those visitors that did rent cars, including us, Kaanapali was a reasonable (45-60 minutes) drive to other major parts of the island, including Makena (the other beach resort town on the west coast of Maui) and the beginning of the Road to Hana. The drive in and out of Kaanapali itself is scenic and runs along the coastline, with plenty of places to pull over and enjoy the sun.

The only issue we had with our experience was that we had booked a combo room and rental car package which was presumably cheaper than booking each part separately. However, when we checked out I noticed we got hit with a significant daily surcharge (I forgot exactly how much but I think it was in the $50-100 range per day) for the car which was never disclosed to us prior to receiving the bill. Given that we were in a rush to catch a flight, I didn't notice the charge until we got back home. The happy ending to this story was that after calling up Brett, the guest services manager, to complain about the charge, he promptly researched the issue, noticed it was a mistake, apologized for the inconvenience, and removed all the charges without further question.

Because we had such a good experience with the Sheraton and Maui as a whole, we hope to make it back to Hawaii a lot more frequently. Without a doubt we would stay at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan_Monica

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

After thoroughly enjoying two wonderful properties (one on Big Island and other also on Maui), we ended our 2012 Christmas holiday vacation at Sheraton Maui. When we arrived about 1940 hrs, every spot in the traffic circle was cluttered by valet-parked vehicles and learned that the Sheraton does not offer temporary check-in/check-out slots. From there, everything went down hill; tepid check-in, poor instruction to the room/terrible information about how valet/complimentary valet/self park works, condecending valet attendants and sloppy directions to the business center, resulting in a self-discovery tour. The only thing that was clear was the check-in clerk sternly underscored the resort fee. That's just check-in. A VERY loud kitsch luau-ish entertainment in lawn-green (!?!) area, prompted us to hastily move off-site to eat. Then we have the "Rube-Goldberg" self-park attachment to the building (you have to take two seperate lifts or stairs to get between the lot and the room). Now the room IS large and clean...and boringly indistinguishable from any other Sheraton property, with little regard or attention to the fact that we are, well, in Hawai'i. I get that room requests can not always be honored, but we could not have been assigned a more centrally-located (mid level/mid building) room. We wanted an end suite as I am a super-light sleeper. No can do! I heard every rollerbag clackity-clack all hours on the tile hall ways. We woke to an unhappy girl screaming that she definately did not want to go outside with mommy and daddy before 0700hrs. With our unhappy rooster screeching away, I looked outside only to see the parents 20 feet away....while tons of other guests crawled all over the property like ants at a picnic. There is nothing intimate about this place at all. On check-out day, I noticed we had a message on the phone. It was a saccarin "Welcome" message from the concierge (aren't these the people who pay attention to details?), inviting us down for a welcome "gift" and select - more luaus. I saw her on my business center self-discovery tour. She looked horribly bored and not someone I would want to have handling any details on my behalf. Time to leave. Because ancillary fees are attached like flies to sticky tape, I really wanted my folio...which of course is not delivered to the room, so off to sloppy-Sue reception to request something which is generally delivered to the suite without question at other properties. How to we do this? Remember? The valet circle does not have check-in/check-out parking slots. But the "Express Check-out" key drop box is past the valets and at reception. Surely we don't need the keys to get out of the parking lot...but you do! The hotel is a mess. I believe this is my first "Terrible" review since 2005. With that, take my advice and enjoy your Hawaiian vacation elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Notam

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that our property was not to your liking and appreciate your honest feedback. We will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Unlike most people in Lahaina, I was here for a 5 day business conference at the Sheraton. The grounds are gorgeous, in that sort of make-believe resort style that can be seen on any of the Hawaiian islands or Cancun and places like that. This place is right on the beach, next to Black Rock, and has a fabulous location. My room was in Bldg. 3 on the ground floor, and I had view of the ocean and the waterfall across the path. The staff was good, but the lines at the front desk always were long, and it seemed a bit understaffed. I went to the buffet breakfast at their Black Rock Cafe in the hotel, and it was good until I got my bill: $29 a person plus tax and tip! Yikes....breakfast for 2 was over $60, and that was a first for me. I went to Safeway and Foodland (on Hwy 30 between the hotel and the town of Lahaina) and got some food and put it in my fridge in my room. All rooms seemed to have a fridge and a laptop-sized safe, which was nice. One night I was exhausted and hungry, and ordered room service. My hamburger and fries was $19 plus the delivery fee and tax and tip. Ouch. I wish there were other alternatives to walk to and eat, but there aren't. You need a car if you stay here.
The bed was immensely comfortable, and the pillows too. I found the room satisfactory. I don't if I'd stay here again, just because of the prices.

Room Tip: avoid the overpriced breakfast buffet!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank honurider
Reviewed 25 December 2012

The other reviews made me afraid of my reservation however I want to say that my stay was nothing but amazing and you should be confident in booking here if you so choose to.

We stayed in Building 4 and got upgraded to an ocean front view where we had an unhindered view of the beautiful beach, the hotel pool, the pretty coconut palms fluttering in the wind and the brave souls jumping off Black Rock. Not a bad start to our Hawaii vacation!

Yes, the rooms are a walk from the main reception but that's what you get for a resort that is built alongside the rock cliff, and a design which allows for maximum ocean views (the rooms have to be alongside each other).

We had no issues with the staff - even though the check-in was busy, the lady was courteous and took time to chit-chat and ask us about why we are visiting and what we plan to do.
The beach and excursion staff were equally friendly, dispensing free beach towels and advise on different tours to take or not take. The bar staff went aboveboard, opening up and serving a couple of pints of beer we sneaked into the resort, despite the sign on the bar that said that outside drinks were not allowed. (we didnt know that till afterwards!)

We also stayed for a couple of days at the Westin resort down the street so as a comparison I would say that the Sheraton is more classic - less resort and more beach. The hotel clearly puts a lot of effort into making one of the most valuable beaches in Maui accessible and approachable. The 'breezeways' (open air hallways) that lead to the rooms were amazing - more Hawaii and less hotel. In comparison, the Westin has a more traditional 'hotel' feel. And the room views are way way better than Westin's.

As an SPG Platinum, the Sheraton gives better rewards than the Westin. They upgraded us to the ocean view for free, gave us free continental breakfast at the restaurant and free valet service. The continental breakfast options are superior to the Westin's - Sheraton provides 5 different cheeses, Lox, salad, more kinds of fruit - things that Westin does not. However, both provide breads, pastries, cereal and a host of other hot food items that are 'premium'.
The cost to 'upgrade' to the full breakfast is cheaper at Sheraton ($7 vs $15!). Also, Westin doesn't give free Valet, just free parking.

In Westin's defense, their rooms are more modern, they gave us some really yummy welcome treats (chocolate macadamia nut cookies and some berries) and the resort was over-the-top. (details in the Westin review:) ) However, as a couple coming to Hawaii for the first time, we cared more about the beach and a view than any slip and slide or shop hawking local goods.

In sum, go to the Sheraton and have a great time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple