“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

When we arrived, they upgraded our room at no cost to a Hale Hoku suite.
It was simply amazing. We paid $228 for a $800 room at no cost more.
We also went to their luau. Which was great!
Everyone was extremely nice. We did a couple's massage outside & it was perfect!
The water was clear & great for snorkeling. The beach was pristine!
The pools were clean & beautiful!
The valet's were super friendly & always took care of us!
We could see humpback whales from our lanai!

Room Tip: We used Bookit.com for a great discounted price. When we pulled up & checked in they upgraded us...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had reservations for a package plan to stay for ten days at this lovely resort. Our package included a rental car and buffet breakfast each morning. Upon arrival, we presented our Starwood Gold Preferred Guest card and were offered an upgrade for $75 per night. My husband declined, whereupon we were offered the upgrade for $50/night, and I said "We'll take it!" We were then moved from a room with a view of the tennis courts and parking lot to the top floor of Bld. 6, a large room with a full view of the ocean! It's a hike from the lobby and restaurants, but we're hikers anyway. We loved the privacy here and so enjoyed watching the whales frolic in the ocean right below us. The room was very clean, came with a sizable bathroom and a refrigerator and microwave. We were very pleased. Beware that all of the resorts add a "resort" fee at the end of your stay, $25/day in this case. This does include shuttle service to sister properties and to the nearby town of Lahaina, as well as towel service at the pools, etc. We were very pleased with our stay at this lovely resort!

Room Tip: Because we were in the building farthest from the lobby and other activities, we enjoyed privacy and...
6 Thank WinstonAZ
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Great property. Great location. We enjoyed this place despite a rocky check-in. We waited 15-20 minutes just to get to the check in desk. Everyone was very friendly. Loved the pool for our toddler but as others have said it was very cold. Nice beach with what we heard was great snorkeling, though we didn't snorkel. Whales and dolphins were all over out in from of the hotel. The room was pretty typically sized... Clean, well maintained. We were able to book with points and miles so it was great value for us!

Room Tip: We had a partial ocean view and though it was a great view. We were in building 3 of 6 and loved th...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelinLB
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

So we got here to Hawaii for the first time and having prebooked 6 months prior. When we arrived, there were no king beds so they upgraded us from an ocean front to a deluxe ocean front with 2 full size beds. This means there is 100 extra square feet. As parents of a 19 month old, we need the extra feet in bed, not the room size. We had room 5108 and the view was beyond amazing!! The room was great too except for the full size beds. Had they been queens we could have dealt with it. So the hotel was very kind and accommodating and had us another room the next day by 3 pm. The bellman was also sent with our keys and to help us move into the new room. We were placed in 5108 which is a suite ocean front! We are in a freaking apartment sized room now. Just stunning! This has an amazing balcony and a jacuzzi tub with 2 bathrooms and a living/dining room. Way more than needed for our stay but has a king bed and we really appreciate it. The view is still ocean front but certainly not as spectacular. So it's whatever is more important to you. We can still hear the ocean at night and that's all that matters to me. Thank you Sheraton for being so generous!

By the way I read several reviews about building 6 being too far away from things and I have no idea where that came from. We are in 5, adjacent to 6, and the Mai tai bar, pool and beach are right outside of our elevator. Either building is perfect. There is a difference between ocean view and ocean front Btw. Front is closer.

Lahaina is only 7-10 mins away by car. Lots of great sites to see within 30 miles. Gorgeous drive up HWY 30 to see dragons teeth, the blowhole and the olivine pools. Quite a hike though.

Room Tip: 5108 and 5102 are amazing. Can't go wrong with building 5.
4 Thank Autumn S
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear that our team was able to accommodate you in a room that fitted your family's needs. We apologize that it was not available upon arrival. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our beautiful resort sometime soon!

Mahalo,
Guest Experience Team
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

The resort is Beautiful. The rooms are adequate, but hey your in Maui, don't spend much time in a room. The hotel location is perfect, restaurants are good. Snorkeling at Black Rock and cliff jumping was great. Nice shuttle to get you around. If you are a runner they have a 3 & 5 mile course, just ask at the front desk & they will give you a little card. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My first room was a disaster as I had the elevator pump in it and my shower handle broke off. HOWEVER, I called to the front desk, they got me a manager right away, sent up a bell hop and quickly moved me to a new room and got me all set.

The only drawback was the front desk is really slow, not enough staff to serve everyone.
I would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view BUT If you got the coin, ask for room 5111 :)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

This hotel's location is perfect. Right on the beach and wthin an easy walk of Whalers Village with its shops and restaurants. However, it charges the highest Resort Charge I have ever seen, for practically nothing except internet. I wish they would incorporate this into the room rate and do away with the annoyance. The pool does get a lot of non-hotel guests, people who just walk in from other locations and use the loungers and pool facilities. The pool staff do a very poor job of controlling this. They would just walk up to people who clearly did not have hotel towels and say "are you a guest" and if the person said yes, give them a wristband. No request for room key or room number. I suspect the bar staff like the extra business. One day a very loud group of almost a dozen non-guests showed up and even called their friends from other hotels to come over, still no action from the pool staff.

6 Thank Buggy222
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past summer with our daughter but I would be hesitant to stay here again. We stayed a couple of weeks at our timeshare at the Marriott Ocean Club prior to our stay at the Sheraton and can say that I much prefer the Marriott. We used Starwood points to stay here, so we actually had a choice between the Sheraton, the Westin Maui and the Westin Villas but I wished we would have chosen the Westin Villas instead since it is the newest property of the three (though it isn't in Whaler's Village area like the Sheraton or the other Westin). This property had a wonderful lazy river pool but the lounges around the pool were cramped and most were not shaded. I never felt very comfortable lounging by the pool.

As for the rooms, they are in desperate need of an upgrade. I believe the property recently underwent a renovation but I don't think it was up to par. The bathrooms felt like they were from the 60's and so did the closet areas. I truly felt like I was staying in a budget motel situated on gorgeous grounds. Also, our room was really far away from the pool, so if you don't like to walk 10 mins to the pool, I would suggest requesting a location close by. On the plus side, I believe all of the rooms on the property have an ocean view, however I was a little disappointed since I used extra points for an ocean view when I doubt this was necessary...I wished Starwood would have told me this when booking so I didn't waste my points.

All in all, this property is very beautiful on the outside with nicely manicured grounds, but I think I would try another resort the next time around.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family