“Beautiful Property”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Sheraton is an older property, but very well maintained. They are located on the cliffs at the end of Kaanapali Beach. Stay in one of the front buildings next to the ocean, and at least the 4th floor. You'll be above the palm trees with a beautiful ocean view, and will hear the crashing waves every night while you sleep. While the restaurant at the pool was good, I didn't have as much luck with the Black Rock restaurant in the hotel. It was pricey, and not very good (especially their prime rib special). But there are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jan H
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that you enjoyed the location of our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We especially liked the free shuttle service to Lahina. There was a $31 daily resort fee that I don't remember having been quoted when I was shopping. They said that was for parking ,internet etc.It would have been very much worth it if we had rented a car.

Room Tip: Garden View rooms are better if they are on 3rd floor or higher
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GarryZ2014
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay. Our shuttle is part of our daily resort charge as well. Daily resort charge inclusions can be found on our website. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I've heard so many stories of the Sheraton Maui. Most were positive so given the opportunity, I went to check it out.
Upon my arrival, I was immediately impressed by the immaculate landscape. There was even a kalo patch! The checkin process was fast and courteous. I even got an upgrade to an oceanfront room! This getaway was getting better by the minute
Getting to my room was a bit tricky. This property is spread out. Along the way, I was greeted with 'Aloha!' by various hotel associates. This simple gesture made me feel very welcome.
My room was not large but comfortable. The lanai allowed me to relax in the tropical trade winds. It was very soothing to put up my feet and not have a care in the world.
I decided to do dinner at the hotel's
Black Rock Steak and Seafood restaurant. My steak and lobster were perfectly cooked. My travel companion's steak was a bit over done to her disappointment. Here's what impressed us most. The waiter came to check on us. He must've sensed something wasn't quite right and noticed my companion's steak was over cooked. Immediately, he apologized, offered a new steak. In 15 minutes, he was back with a new dinner and a steak that was perfectly cooked. WOW! That was service!
The only glitch I experienced was at checkout. As much as possible, i try to avoid the front desk due to lines. I tried to checkout on the room's tv but couldn't locate the feature. I tried calling the front desk but there was no answer after a couple of minutes. This meant a visit to the front desk. Thankfully there were no lines and the checkout process was quick and friendly.
Sheraton Maui is a beautiful hotel. Hopefully, I'll return for a longer stay to really enjoy everything it has to offer.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience from your short stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at our resort and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I travel a lot and had a hard time deciding between the Sheraton, Westin, and Westin Villas on this first trip to Maui. I ended up choosing the Sheraton after reading many reviews. Being SPG Platinum, I also thought I'd get the most out of the Sheraton. I was wrong on that, but still had a great time in Maui.

The Sheraton is located at the best location of the 3 SPG properties, at Black Rock, the beach is beautiful and less crowded than at the Westin. The Sheraton property is wide and spacious and is better suited for romance and people without children. It was wonderfully quiet and relaxing. The staff was very kind and helpful. These are the benefits of the Sheraton.

However, it's a Sheraton and in need of some upgrades. The bed was terrible and there are no room amenities. My SPG Platinum gave us an upgrade to an Ocean View room, which was nice, but they couldn't give us a suite though I knew that there were suites available. SPG Platinum did not give us access to the newly opened Club Lounge (that had an amazing view). We did get a free continental breakfast with $8 buffet upgrade.

As it was slightly removed from the "action" - there was nothing to do once you were at the hotel. The restaurant was mediocre. Room service menu terrible. When I booked, I didn't think this would be an issue since Whaler's Village (and the Westin) was just a short walk away - but it stormed for 2 days while we visited, and highlighted the lack of amenities that the hotel offered. No real bar, no jacuzzi (or we never found it) and a very small fitness center. Internet connection was slow.

The next time, I will probably try the Westin Villas, which offers a kitchen for some more flexibility. The Westin, which looked a lot nicer, was also overrun with people and children - its probably a good place for younger couples and families.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank theccc

Aloha,

Thank you for being a loyal SPG member. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. Your feedback will be reviewed by our management team and used as a tool to better serve our future guests. We hope you will give our resort another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The hotel was reasonably priced, rooms were over the top beautiful and beach access was convenient. There was also a beautiful golf course next to the resort. The staff were accommodating and extremely friendly, meeting our every need. Once I discovered the whales blowing water out of their spouts, I could see them from my balcony with the naked eye. There is too much good for me to add. Lets face it, your in Hawaii, It's paradise and the Sheraton enhances the experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikea168

Aloha,

We are happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. We appreciate you taking a moment of your time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was in Sheraton in Maui last December 2013. I had a fantastic stay overall but there was one major disappointment - its queueing system. While we were SPG Gold card members, there was one guest (a travel agent he seemed) who was actually directing the queueing system and pushed us away because he claimed that he and his ward had been queueing for more than 30 minutes already so we demanded that we stand at the end of the queue. Eventually, we managed to get the attention of the manager who was very apologetic and allowed us to check-in at the designated counter for SPG Gold card members.

Their food offering in their restaurant was quite limited. I can understand why this might be the case - there were other restaurants nearby that offer cheaper but much better food. Nonetheless, for a 5-star resort, I expect the hotel to have a restaurant that can complement the nice overall ambience of the resort. And this is one area Sheraton Maui needs to improve on.

Ooops, I forgot... I am not sure if their hotel renovation/repair is now over. But if not yet, please give your self some peace of mind by staying in a different hotel. I just couldn't stand the noise from the constant pounding/drilling done by the contractors.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank L0nd0nTraveller2020

Aloha and mahalo for your feedback. We apologize your stay was not up to your standards. We appreciate you being a loyal SPG member and appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We haven't been under any kind of renovation, and would love to hear more about your stay and what you are referring to. Please feel free to reach out to us at sheraton.maui@sheraton.com.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from a four day stay at the Sheraton Maui. If you like large resorts this place is awesome. We were there mainly to see the whales and they were everywhere. Upon checking in we were offered an upgrade to a room on top of Black Rock because it was supposed to offer better whale viewing. We were hesitant but who knows when we will be back to Hawaii so we went for it. The room was huge and very clean but the best part was that any time of day you could sit on your balcony and watch several whales. Not sure when the busy season is but the resort never felt overly crowded and we were able to find chairs by the pool every afternoon. The only complaint was that I wish the pool was heated but that's just a personal preference. The resort is ideally located so that there is a wonderful beach north or south of the property. A short 10 minute drive to Lahaina provides several dining/shopping options or you can just walk 10 minutes along the beach walk to Whalers Village. The grounds are very beautiful and seemed to be well maintained. I really can't say enough about the staff, we encountered several friendly people throughout the property. I know some of the reviews complain about the prices and while it is expensive it seems like most of Hawaii is more expensive than the mainland. We had a great time at this beautiful resort and will return someday for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Aloha,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to see many whales from your balcony. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Guest Experience Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!