“Not what it use to be--but a great beach.”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“Not what it use to be--but a great beach.”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The hotel was fully booked and 99 percent occupancy was code for lack of service. We have stayed here many times before, it has the best beach in Kaanapali, with easy access and snorkeling. Pool side restaurant was great. Breakfast and dinner at Tepanyaki Dan, were not worth the money or the calories. I would eat all my meals outside of the hotel. Our room had AC and TV remote problems. The pool ran out of towels at 1230 PM. Some of the staff were great, too many just had an attitude and did not care. I will skip staying here next year and go back to the Westin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on black rock itself.
6 Thank Mike R
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your level of satisfaction. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The room was amazing. We stayed on the Black Rock and could see whales and hear them everyday and night. It was awesome. It was close to the fitness center, but a bit of a long walk to the pool and beach. It was nice to be alone in such a big and busy resort. I will say that the pool is amazing with a kiddie area, a couple of pool bars/places to eat, a little slide for the kids and a lazy river area. There was also a great beach and snorkeling right by the black rock, as well as diving off of the black rock. We didn't like that after dark there is only 2 places to eat and everywhere, even the bar, closes at 10p! Maui does close up early and there really is not a lot of night life, that we found...but with all the early excursions and things to do, it really wasn't a big issue. It is a close walk on the beach to almost anything you would want including surf lessons, kayak rental and everything else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank samjam801
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Aloha,

We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and were able to enjoy seeing and hearing the whales. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Eastsound, Washington
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Problem is: It's not 1992 anymore. This is one of the premier properties owned by Starwood. The Sheraton has been here since I believe 1968 and it is one of the most amazing locations in all of Hawaii. For that reason, I am deducting a couple stars here. The resort doesn't live up to its pristine location. Yes, I would go back. But I would be only looking for a good deal and not 5 stars. There are just to many seams showing here. As far as service the only really notable issue I experienced was with valet right on arrival. This is one I am sensitive because the valet is the first opportunity a hotel has an opportunity to show off what lies ahead. I pulled up and there were at least 3 bellmen present. At the Four Seasons in Wailea it is a 'swarm of bees' attempting to assist in anyway possible. Here it was sort of like they were kicking back waiting to see what I would do. So I started unloading all of our luggage onto the drive. Eventually, a gentleman came over and asked if I would like assistance and if I were staying here. Hmmm, no sh-- Sherlock.... He was not attentive and I still ended up shlepping all our stuff over to the curb.

Not an impressive start. But alas things did get better, but not for awhile. They had told us that the room would be available for early check in as we are Kamaaina. It wasn't. So we went up to the 'Na Hoku Club Lounge'. Wow, what a poor use of this dynamic space. I would love to see this converted into a open air bar. What an outstanding view of Kaanapali it has. There was no pulse here and some old outdated flatscreen tvs blaring CNN. It was like some sort of outdated office center with old tan telephones bolted to the walls. This should be where you have your first tropical drink upon arrival. Would love to see them update this. We stayed in the Lahaina Hale in a 'Deluxe Ocean View'.... Mmmm, yeah more like a stand on my lanai and 'Stick my head out as far as possible to see the ocean view room'. But I will say that the room was sparkling clean, linens were fresh and it did appear to be relatively recently updated. Flatscreen tv was starting to look a little dated. Of course you're right on Black Rock, so it doesn't get much better as far as location. Perfect for a morning snorkel or night dive. We enjoyed the pool, but I'm still in disbelief that there is only one hot tub for this MASSIVE property. It has cool colorful changing lights at night though. :)But yeah one hot tub, wow. The thatched umbrellas around the pool area also look a little dilapidated. I suppose if I were staying in a Deluxe Ocean view suite, I would have been telling a different story here. But even so the entire property feels like it needs some work. Also, waiting in your room you will find two large bottles of Hawaiian Springs water, for $5 each. I despise this particular cheap shot. Just build it into the price somehow please. I don't need to see a $5 price tag on a bottle of water in my room. Charge me for it just don't put it in front of my face like that. Cheapens the experience. Overall I enjoyed myself, and if you see a good deal on this resort go for it, but that is not how I want to feel about this property. Please, Starwood, step up to the plate and put some love and $$ back into this famous location so that it still deserves to call Black Rock home.

Room Tip: Go directly to the resort website where you will see a detailed map that breaks down the different r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank TravellingGormound
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to write a detailed review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, and do apologize for inconveniences you experienced. We appreciate you taking the time to share all of your feedback and we will be sure to share it with our management team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Auburn, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We decided on a ocean front and were very happy with our room. However the carpeting in building 3 was torn in the hallways, and could use some sprucing up. We stayed 7 nights and enjoyed walking on the walking trail that goes between hotels and condos, the torch lighting ceremony, and all the restaurants within walking distance. The location is perfect!

Room Tip: Go for at least an ocean view--property views are not pleasant out back
Aloha,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. It's great to hear you were happy with your room and that you had a wonderful stay. We appreciate your feedback and will review it with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 February 2014

the Sheraton holds the best part of kaanapali beach. great to snorkel right of the beach, especially around black rock. the pool was too cold of us. we enjoyed the water at the beach more. staff here are very nice all the time.

Room Tip: i loved the ocean view room.1 lift down to the pool and beach. the oceanfront rooms are too far awa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank satish_quintal
Aloha,

We are happy to hear you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed your time at the beach. We appreciate you taking the time to share your story and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Great location but needing major updates to the building (3) we stayed in for 7 nights. After arriving we were asked to upgrade to ocean view room in exchange for 2 beds instead of king. Sure, that was great! When we arrived at our door the carpet as far as one could see down the hall was peeling up. Not just one spot, the entire hallway. The room itself was pretty clean and standard. The towels were thin and the sheets scratchy. It seemed to be a conference hotel. There were no less than 3 while we were there. The staff was great and the grounds were wonderful. I have been to other resorts for less money that were in better shape. Being on Kannapali Beach is an excellent location. If at all possible go when you can see the whales, unbelievable!

2 Thank BarbOQ
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the location of our resort and that you were able to see the whales during your stay. We appreciate your honest feedback and will review it with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband surprised me with this trip to Maui for our belated honeymoon. After much research, he chose the Sheraton Maui and what an amazing place it was! From the moment we arrived, it was pure paradise ~ we enjoyed every day & night and we both cried when we had to leave... The staff was amazing and we definitely felt the Aloha Spirit while we were there. I will forever cherish the memories we made at this awesome resort and I can't wait to come back to make new ones! To anyone reading this, you won't regret staing here ~ Enjoy!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend building 6 ~ the ocean view & secluded area is top notch!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 518krissyk
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your story. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your surprise honeymoon at our resort! We look forward to welcoming the two of you back again soon.