“Average to Good”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Breckenridge, Minnesota
“Average to Good”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel during the 2nd part of our first trip to Hawaii in Feb of 2014. Had an ocean view on the 3rd floor- ask for a higher floor so the trees don;t block your view- it was fine really but if you have a choice take it. Had 2 lanais the so it was really nice to get cross ventilation and ocean air, air conditioning was available but who needs it you're in Hawaii! Rooms were clean and comfortable and I am a clean freak, germaphobe so it passed my inspection. We have just booked our February 2015 stay in Kuaui at the Sheraton... Can't wait.

Room Tip: Choose a upper level floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Enjoy the Sheraton Kauai next year!

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,071)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui in March 2014 as part of a Globus Tour. This was my favorite of the Sheraton hotels we stayed at during our trip to the Hawaiian islands. Although busy and in a “touristy” part of Ka’anapali beach, the grounds are simply beautiful and incredibly well-kept. We were in building 3 (Anuenue Hale) and I was initially disappointed when I realized we were on the ground floor; however, our room faced the pool and ocean and had an incredible (although not so private) view. There was no musty or damp smell that we have experienced with ground floor rooms, especially in the Caribbean. Consistent great Sheraton housekeeping. We had a Globus-included daily breakfast at the Black Rock terrace – nice buffet with open-air seating. We loved the nice (and free!) bus service for SM and Westin guests to the Lahaina Cannery Mall and downtown Lahaina Town. The last pickup is at 10:35 pm so you can take your time shopping and enjoy dinner and drinks in town! SM is also in walking distance to the Whaler’s Village – easy access to nice shopping, ABC store and great restaurants. Ka’anapali beach is very nice but crowded – good luck getting a spot for your towel! It is worth it to snorkel and see the friendly sea turtle who often swims around the black rock. I can honestly say I was sad when our tour moved on to Kauai because I really would have liked a few more days to explore this resort and the Ka’anapali beach area. Will definitely be back someday!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay at our beautiful resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmest Aloha,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Aloha, I'm back and relaxed from another great Maui vacation. This time I stayed at both the Hyatt Regency and the Westin resorts. I visited and had drinks at the at the Sheraton Blackrock resort, and stayed there 18 months ago. Now that I've stayed at all three resorts, let's have some fun and compare.

Some housekeeping first. I worked in hotels (Marriott, the Beverly Hills Hotel) for years when I was younger and am more particular than most, a thousand pardons, ...be glad you don't have to live with me. Kanapali is a north Maui strip of top-notch resorts (3) timeshares and condos. The beachfronts are all pricey, but if you're like me and want it all, that's the place to go. If you want generally the same (hotels, restaurants, a local mall), you could also try Wailea which is south Maui. I used to stay there, don't enjoy it quite as much though it's certainly also great (though the Grand Hyatt there belongs in Vegas, not Maui, …but loved the Marriott, didn't stay at Four Seasons.) Kanapali has a livelier vibe, but not too much. Both have paved beach front walking paths on the beach so you can get from place-to-place, happy hour-to-happy hour, without ever leaving the beach. Both have good snorkeling (Kanapali = Blackrock, Wailea = McKennas), both have white sand beaches. Both have quiet upscale malls and good dining options, both are west facing to provide the best of tan lines. Both areas border local towns, but Kanapali’s Lahina has more tourist options (excursions departures, etc.) than Wailea’s Kihei that some girls I’ve traveled with find a little yesteryear. Kanapali is mere minutes from Lahaina, (free shuttles or taxi), alas I only went once for the better whale watching tour and otherwise I found all I needed in Kanapali anyway.

Overall, I think the Hyatt wins for me. It’s tough to beat the Sheraton, maybe Hyatt doesn’t. It’s much easier to say that the Westin loses. But on with the show, I’ll say, you decide:

BEACHES: Hyatt’s beach is narrow, underwater rocks make it almost impossible get out to swim there, ouch almighty on the feet!! Westin wider beach has a couple of paths though underwater rocks to get out and swim. It was easiest to get out at Sheraton’s beaches, and of course, that’s where arguably Maui’s best snorkeling is also. A huge turtle swam between me and my buddy brushing him. However, realize these hotels are all within walking distance on the beachfront path and the free shuttle stops at each. Sheraton is easily the busiest of the three beaches, and though Sheraton wins here, we enjoyed Hyatt’s pool and didn’t mind walking away from Hyatt’s beach.

POOLS: The easy winner here is Hyatt, the easy loser is Westin. The Hyatt’s pool is huge, has waterfalls, a basketball hoop, a kiddie pool, swim up bar and awesome waterslide. Contrasting the Westin, their pool is large (a little smaller), have a volleyball (but without balls,) basketball hoop and a waterslide also. But don’t ask the pool bar waiter 5 feet away from the slide where the entrance is, he doesn’t know. And me and my buddy are both 175lbs; that waterslide bounced us unexpectedly and pretty well near the bottom twice. We both said the same thing to each other, not again, amazing they haven’t gotten injuries from that hazard, …but perhaps it’s for lightweight kiddies. The Westin’s and Sheraton’s towels are half the size of Hyatt’s …and at Westin that goes on the plastic wicker pool chaise either purchased for looks or durability, certainly not for comfort, …way too hard. Meanwhile, the other two hotel chaises have normal flexible backing. The Sheraton is the only one that has a lazy river, fun to just float and ponder around the pool bar as the happy hour BBQ smoke temps you. And recall, that one is steps away from the best beach.

HAPPY HOURS: It’s hard to beat Sheraton’s BBQ roasting burgers or fish skewers, but let’s talk price. All have fun drinks, all have fun food. Hyatt’s is all around the most expensive, but their $8 happy hour Mai Tais yummy and pint size. We got way lit off of two, …if they didn’t taste so good, one would do. Hyatt’s HH doesn’t begin until 4:00pm, that’s a little goofy as everyone is from an earlier time zone and dinner is eaten early in Maui. The Westin’s is the cheapest and they also have a pool restaurant with all-day $6 hot dogs, yum again. Where Sheraton’s wins on food (not necessarily cheap, but a good value) drinks are expensive in comparison for happy hour as they forgive a couple of bucks off a high price, but still it’s a small glass. Regardless, you should walk over to each which is doable as long as you don’t start with a Hyatt Mai Tai.

STAFF: Well, here my snooty hotel experience kicks in. I waited an hour, no kidding, an hour to check into the Westin. Their special passport members kept walking to the part of the desk trying to escape the line (only 5 ppl deep) to no avail, no one came to their aide. The clerks I eventually dealt with were nice though, but why it takes so long to check in at 6:00pm is beyond this dude. That wait and their pool bar guy who didn’t know, or want to know where the water slide was speaks to Westin’s management. Now LOL, Westin and Sheraton roll up to the same company and I didn’t have any issues at Sheraton, so you figure it out. The Hyatt was friendly and efficient as expected with a Regency name, though the computerized bell desk should not have pointed me to the front desk line to see if my name on the register was spelled correctly. Got to cancel that out with the Hyatt waiter watching me pour my hot coffee into my half full ice water glass, then unprovoked bringing me a capped cup of ice coffee for my drive to Hanna, awesome. The Sheraton is funny, the place is so spread out you don't see many staff on the floors and you can't afford the vacation time treking to the lobby. The pool/beach folks there are nice though. You can rent an umbrella on the sand, the dude digs a hole and secures it. (Sounds like something this beach dude would never do, but did to enjoy the beach longer under the baking sun.)

ROOMS: Sheraton wins hands down here, beautiful and well appointed. Hyatt is an older property that has been renovated. Though the Westin’s rooms looked new, fresh tile and alike, I actually liked Hyatt’s remolded rooms better. Far more bathroom counter space there, a must when traveling with chicks (yes, I said chicks). The Westin’s mattress was a pillow top. However, I was less distinctly less comfortable than Hyatt’s that wasn’t, …so says my back. Westin’s white sheets were yellowish, very obvious next to the white bedspread, …someone is trying to save some money there. All had safes, all had refrigerators, my Hyatt room had two as they pulled mini bar service and left the fridge, cool! I’m not sure how to exactly quantify why a remolded room would be better than a new one, but things like the small cheap luggage racks at Westin vs. the wider, meatier ones at Hyatt. In short, while Sheraton felt like the new Lexus and Hyatt last year’s model, Westin felt like a Hyundai, a shiny new car that you wouldn’t want to traverse the desert with. (Last note: Hyatt is in process of adding two timeshare towers, they bang and clang 7:30ish to 4:00 daily, the property is so big only one existing tower looks exposed to that daytime noise. Alas that tower has an awesome ocean view. So check or make reservation request changes as desired.)

GYMS: Easy winner here is Hyatt, Westin is second and Sheraton is a little to corporate. So we didn’t use the spa, but did use the gyms. Hyatt’s is large or double the corporate 4 star property. Add infused water and spa towels, then put all the cardio machines in front of a window overlooking the palms and ocean, and they win. Westin’s was also large and dandy enough, but overlooked the pool; which is nice enough I guess. The Sheraton’s was smaller than the other two with a view of property roofs, …still better than many others I’ve seen.

PROPERTY: All three are in Maui, you’ll love it. When you walk into the Hyatt, it looks grand, huge open atrium, walk straight through the lobby to overlook the pool and ocean. Don’t forget to visit the lobby penguins. Yes LOL, I said penguins. Their breakfast restaurant wins for view, swans and waterfall. The Westin has the same, but you have to look through all the people on their main gangway, a less relaxing feel. The Hyatt grounds are large enough to walk and discover the flamingos and ducks, etc. Though the Hyatt is the biggest of the three, the Sheraton feels like the biggest and is the quietest, almost too quiet sometimes. We got a room overlooking the ocean there, but the walk to the front desk was up and down stairs and elevators and a good ten minutes to get there. The lobby and lounges are sedate at the Sheraton, while the opposite is true at the Westin. Interestingly, while the Hyatt has lots of folks too, you don’t bump into anyone and they have plenty of shops and places to investigate. The Westin looks awesome, then you try to spend some time on the property in the rain and discover they really only have two shops and that waterfalled pond in the lobby you’ve now walked by 120 times in the last 120 minutes. Anyway, totally surprising to me, but Westin loses here of the three if there is a loser on Maui’s coast.

OVERALL VALUE: I found Hyatt to be the best value, and it was easy to say that Westin isn’t. The Sheraton was the priciest of the three for us, but the property was gorgeous and totally felt five star. I booked Hyatt through Costco which provided for free breakfast buffets. (The desk said Costco Travel was their biggest customer.) I booked Westin through Travelocity, don’t recall how I booked Sheraton. The resort fee at Westin includes self parking for my rent-a-car, shame on you Hyatt for $14/day extra. All are high end and deservedly so for location, but for the dudes, Hyatt won here. For the chicks, Sheraton won. We all agreed Westin was nice, but capitalizing on location. I’ll be back, but for now it’s back to work tomorrow, ugh.

Room Tip: Many attached buildings there, we stayed in one at the ocean. It was considered premium and was cer...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank westcoaststays
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time on Ka'anapali Beach and at the Sheraton Maui. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to our beautiful resort again soon.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My significant other and I spent a week at the Sheraton Maui resort. We had a great time in Maui and would definitely go back and even stay at the Sheraton. We checked in on Friday into building 2 but requested a room change because our view was a bit obstructed... Overall the hotel is very good and below is an accurate overview:

Positives:
Great customer service especially from Irene at the front desk. She was extremely helpful is helping us to pick out another room and to pick the best building. I was not disappointed with my new room or her excellent customer service. She was also so pleasant and knowledgable! We stayed in 6518. The staff was very friendly and helpful with questions. They also provided a complimentary bottle of Champagne since I was celebrating my birthday!! Much appreciated.

Room- we stayed in 6518... Building 6, 5th floor... Great views of the water, we saw the whales one morning and turtles another morning. Great views of the sunset and peaceful! The rooms were equipped with refrigerators and microwaves. Decent size room.

Cleanliness of the property- the property is well maintained including the house cleaning staff.

Spa- the spa was great... Open air rooms and the service was very good. My therapists name was Elizabeth. Tranquil close to the beach, good service and reasonably priced.

The shuttle services was a value add... It was great to have options since we didn't have a car the entire time. Very convenient and could get you to the main parts of Lahina. Recommendation may be to run the shuttle 2x an hour instead of 1x per hour into town.

Pool and beach access: the beach is pretty calm and close to black rock there is great snorkeling. You definitely need a cabana on the beach as the sun is pretty hot... So great for tanning. The pool has service for lunch and drinks and both restaurants have happy hour at different times. It's pretty easy to get a beach chair with an umbrella as long as you get out by the pool by 9... After 9, you'll need to search hard for a chair with an umbrella.

Location- the location of the resort is convenient to the town of Lahina, the Whalers market, the golf course and other hotels including the Westin (other Starwood property). The Whaler's market has an ABC store, restaurants and a few upscale stores. There is also an Enterprise rental car onside... Super convenient!

Opportunities for improvement:
When we arrived, no one greeted us with a Lei, cold drink etc... This is an opportunity for setting a good tone upon arrival.

No cold drinks or refreshments in the lobby only the Starbucks cart that's not always open. When we went over to the Westin the had refreshments and a different vibe in the lobby... More welcoming.

Lei making class and other resort activities should be complimentary... The price is nominal but it should be included.

Cocktails were a bit overpriced... Average of $11-13... And $7 for a beer... Prices were cheaper offsite. Even mimosa at breakfast were $10 but $5 off site. I saw other reviewers complain about the cost of breakfast $29 per person but breakfast was good but the mimosas should've been included at that price.

The food overall was reasonably priced but would've loved to see more variety especially by the pool restaurants.

Overall the resort itself was very good, convenient location, clean, very friendly staff, great customer service, decent rooms with great views. We would come back and stay at the property,

Btw, if you rent a car, definitely take the drive to Hana and stop at Coconut Glens for the fab coconut and pistachio ice cream... To die for!!

Room Tip: Building 6... Has full ocean views and views of the sun set... A bit further walk but worth it... Bu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nikki19128
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your detailed review from your recent stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time on Maui and your stay at our resort. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Folsom, California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here many times but the best time of year is during whale season. Great views. Awesome walking path right out the entrance of the hotel. Pool if very nice and beach front. Beach is perfect white sand. Waves are perfect and a great little snorkeling area right next to black rock.

• Stayed January 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy staying at our resort and especially during whale season. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We live in Oahu, so wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle so we flew to Maui for 3 nights at the Sheraton Maui. Booked a garden view, but for upgraded to ocean view with a view of black rock. Gorgeous. Beds are soo ooooo comfy and rooms are well equipped and clean. Drinks and food are amazing. The only negative comment I have is the issue with the available chairs. When we arrived at the pool at 9 am, they were all out of towels until noon and there were no chairs available. People had come down early and saved chairs and than left to go to breakfast or workout. They have so many cabanas that you have to pay to rent out, that they don't have enough chairs available. Since this is a big portion of our time? It ended up starting the vacation on a negative. We found out later that the valet has towels that are available all day. We went down at 6 am the next morning g and scored a great spot. Overall, great experience...

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank corexecution
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you had a nice stay, and appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback. We will share your feedback with our management team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was our first trip to Hawaii & it was amazing!! We cannot wait to go back. The food was great & our view of the ocean was beautiful! You didn't really ever need to leave the resort :) We will definitely go back & stay at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa! Thx

Room Tip: I think any room here would be good. Our room was clean & quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lori367
Aloha,

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Experience Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!