“Very enjoyable stay”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We just got back from our trip to Maui yesterday and stayed at the Sheraton Maui from 6/10 - 6/17. We did a package deal from another site and originally had a resort view room. I am a SPG member and when we checked in we asked about an upgraded room. They were able to get us up on top of Black rock, top floor overlooking the ocean, I don't think we could have beat the view we had and the upgrade price was very reasonable!

Check in was easy and quick, although it was almost 10pm when we did check in. Or room was nice, had a microwave and small fridge which was nice since we stopped at Costco by the airport and got some food and drinks to help save some money.

We never had an issue with our room being cleaned on time. We had a pretty active trip where we were leaving the hotel between 5-7am almost every day and sometimes came back around 12-2pm and our room was already cleaned up.

We did room service a couple of times just for dessert and it always came quick and those prices are what you would expect at a place like this.

I would like to give it 5 stars but just can't for a couple of reasons. First the whole beach towel thing... If you want to get a couple of beach towels, make sure you get them early from the little building between the pool and beach. We came back from a morning adventure trip and was at the beach by 1pm and they already ran out of towels.

They said they would expect some by 3pm but they still didn't have any available. I stopped by again around 5pm and they still didn't have any available... That's over 4 hours of not having any towels available which shouldn't happen and from other reviews, seems like it's been a problem there for awhile that they just don't want to take care of.

The people there told me that they just hand the towels out and take them back in and to talk to the front desk as they are a third party company and the Sheraton is responsible for the amount of towels. I did that and the front desk says that the third party company that runs the building that hands out the towels is responsible for ordering them so they are playing the blame game.

I found it easier to just get towels at the bell man's desk which you will have to sign out for. Just be careful when you do this. I made sure to return the towels after we were done with them each day (we needed them for the excursions we were doing early in the mornings) and made sure they crossed our name off but when we checked out on 6/17, we had multiple towel charges on our bill which took them 15 min to check into and take off the bill. They did remove one day of "resort fees" for the trouble but we shouldn't even have the trouble we did just getting towels.

My only other complaint is that just a buffet breakfast the first morning we were there for the wife and I cost $70 which is not worth the money. Yes the food was OK but that's just an outrageous price for a simple breakfast. We didn't bother with doing any dinners or even lunches because they do charge an arm and a leg. I think if they actually lowered their prices some, more people would eat there and they would make more money. But I know that would never happen because they want to feel more exclusive with having high prices. Def walk down to Whalers Village and have dinner there a night or two, still can be expensive depending on what you get but you get more for your money there. Sure they will comment and say they will take your comments into consideration about the prices but I think most of us are smart enough to know they will never lower the prices on the food.

We did do the Luau our final night there which was fun and the food there was good. My only complaint about that is the little activities they have in the beginning where you can play some "traditional" games and other activities was quite short. It seemed like people were starting to get into those things as there still were lines for the games when all the sudden they were pulling the pig from the pit and everyone had to stop and go to that and they started serving dinner quickly afterwards. If they work on the timing a little bit of that, I think it would be more enjoyable.

I know some people complain about the parking or staying on top of black rock and taking a few elevators to get to the lobby or beach but for me this didn't bother me. If you are staying up there, you have your own parking lot which is a shorter walk then if you were staying in the main building and we could be down at the beach in 5-10 min. I would say if you are with a older couple that doesn't like walking far distances or with little kids and hauling a lot of stuff just to go to the beach, just get a room in the main building as that would be easier in those situations. But if you are just a couple or with older kids, staying on top of black rock is worth it. Nothing like seeing sea turtles swim by first thing in the morning while you sit on your patio while you wake up!

Overall we did have a great time here and outside of the minor complaints that I did have, it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you want great views and don't mind a small walk, stay on top of black rock, it will be worth...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JSchimmy
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Aloha JSchimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and appreciate you sharing your feedback for areas of improvement. Your feedback will be shared with our management team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,485)

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here between jun 10-17 and most experiences are positive. The only complaint was it took them almost 1.5hr to deliver the crib and the manager on duty just appologized and no followup. On the positive note, I delay my check out for 2 hours for free and valet staffs were outstanding even without tipping. I do have 2 feedbacks, the resort fee should include at least 1 bottle of water and the beach umbralla and chair. Overall it was positive.

1  Thank Musumekiller
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Visited the Sheraton to book a couple's massage. It was GREAT! It was outside, beach front and was very relaxing with the sound of the surf. However, it's a little awkward just wearing a robe and having to take it off outside on the beach. The therapists attempt to keep you covered while you get under the sheets, but it was a little clumsy. But relaxing and getting a couple's massage near the beach is an amazing experience. The only other issue I would say is the shower. They only have one, so it's a little cumbersome to take turns showering and getting all the oils off after your service. But the staff and therapists were great and the option to have your massage beachside is great!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa is truly amazing and the best place to stay on the island. We had our Wedding their and it was a dream come true! Shelly our wedding coordinator was top of the line and the views, wedding dinner and treatment was first class all the way! To be on snorkeling with Sea Turtles and boating with Dolphins was just another bonus! The restaurants and shops along the beach were expensive but beautiful and the food was AMAZING!! Cant wait to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rrblanquie
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Aloha rrblanquie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are delighted to hear how wonderful your wedding was and will be sure to share your kind words with Shelly. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year for your anniversary.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I know I'm super late on the review but better late than never! I don't know how people wrote so many bad reviews the only complaint I had was the $30 a night for the wifi ! Nice rooms and great views right on the beach. If your maui then this is the hotel to stay at!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a great experience at the Sheraton Maui. Gorgeous property, good customer service and sweeping views. Upgraded to an ocean front room and was in Building 6 on the 5th floor. Worth every penny! However, it's quite a walk to get to the pool area, but I didn't mind. The property is extremely well maintained and you can not beat the location. We rented snorkeling gear off property (savings of $50) and were able to snorkel every day and saw turtles every day. Best time to snorkel is the AM. The beach gets super crowded after 11am. The lazy river pool was awesome and we rented both 2 person cabanas ($47 per day) and a large 5 person cabana )$65 per day).

The food is quite expensive and is typical resort cuisine. We did the breakfast buffet a couple of times and was not worth the $25 price. The food at the Cliff Dive Bar was equally awful. Drinks are pricey as well. Explore the area for meals. We had some fantastic meals around town (Kimos, Lahaina Grill, Mala, Slappy Cakes, Castaways).

My only major issue: We unfortunately were lodged next door to a smokers. Although they did not completely ruin our room experience, it came very close. I called and complained to Guest Services 6 times but received no follow up the hotel staff. The horrible couple next door would not stop even after 2 direct confrontations. I eventually went the front desk to escalate my complaint. The offered to move us but it was basically our last day. I should have gone earlier. Grace in Guest Services was extremely kind and concerned. She They removed the $31 a day resort fee off our bill, which I did not really feel this was enough based on what we had to put up with. I requested them to knock off a night off our bill but they said no. I was a bit disappointed with this but l let it go.

Overall, I would definately stay at the Sheraton Maui again.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, try for a room in building 6 - Mohana Hale. The views are amazing. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank latravelgirl
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Aloha latravelgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and your time by our pool. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Our resort is a non smoking resort and there should be no smoking in any of our guests rooms. We appreciate you sharing this feedback and will be sure forward it to our management team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you read my previous reviews, I am not sure I have ever posted a negative review on TA, but here is one. We are here now and are wasting our pol and beach time dealing with another screw-up on behalf of the staff. We are Starwood Gold members and are so disappointed with the service here- Totally unlike every other Starwood property we have stayed in. Save the aggravation and spend the money to stay at the Westin or Westin Villas! I will post the details later.

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank LauraTexan
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Aloha LauraTexan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback during your stay. We are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to learn more about your frustrations. Please reach out to us with more details at your convenience at sheraton.maui@sheraton.com.

Guest Experience Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!