“Don't Expect Luxury”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leesburg, Virginia
“Don't Expect Luxury”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for 10 days in June2014. We had booked a deluxe oceanfront through the hotel website. We were greeted by Noah at the front desk. If you can avoid dealing with that man please do so. Noah misled us by saying that all the rooms in building 6 were all great. However, the room he gave us at the far end in building 6 was a real disappointment for our first night. The room had a view of a chain link fence and was obstructed by unkept bushes and right next to the noisy parking lot. Not deluxe at all. Noah gave us the worst room he could have in bldg 6 and lied about it. Nice guy! We demanded to be moved to another room. The next morning we were move to the other end of building 6 on top of Black Rock. In that section of building 6, the view is spectacular with both Lanai and Molokai island in the distance. You could also hear the waves of the ocean, something you couldn't even hear at the other far end.
Now if you expect a luxury room this is not the place to stay, the furniture is very dated and the bathroom needs major update. I will say, however, the bed is very comfortable and housekeeping did an excellent job cleaning and arranging our room. Building 6 looks more like a motel than a resort with the doors facing an outside hallway. Also worth knowing is that building 6 is far away from the main resort, you must ride 3 individual elevators in order to get to the breakfast area, the pool and beach, but if you want a spectacular view and peace and quiet it is the place to be. We really enjoyed sitting on our private balcony and watching the sea turtles every morning and the sunset in the evening. The grounds of the resort are beautiful, spacious and well kept. The pool is nice but if you want free shade by the pool you probably will need to get down there by 6:00AM and put your towels down to claim a beach chair. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's what we observed, not a lot of shade by the pool and it will cost you $45 dollars for beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach and on top of that the beach chairs will be taken away at 5:00PM. A bummer when you want to enjoy the beautiful sunset from the beach. During our last couple of days in Maui, the beach at the Sheraton became very crowded. It is possible to rent "Tommy Bahama" beach chairs and be practically alone on a beach. We found such a beach near the Ritz on the north side of the island. Can't comment on the food at the Sheraton, we only had the breakfast bar which was included in our rate and ordered nachos at the pool bar, maybe twice. Breakfast was decent but wouldn't want pay $35 pp for it. None of the the drinks at the pool bar were memorable. One restaurant we really enjoyed was the Hula Grill, a short away on the beach walk. One more thing, if you go to Maui with young teens and can't decide between the Sheraton and the Westin, I would say the Westin may be better because of the awesome water slides and pools.

Room Tip: Building 6 is 3 buildings connected by walkway. Ask for the section closest to black rock on fourth...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovetotravel114
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Aloha lovetotravel114,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time on Maui and that we were able to get you into a room that satisfied your requests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful stay in March 2014. Hotel and rooms are a little dated but everything else was great. Breathtaking views with a rainbow seen from my balcony every evening. Within walking distance to shops but shuttle service around the area and beyond made getting around very convenient.

Stayed March 2014
Aloha Elina N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback from your stay in March. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at our resort and that you were able to see so many rainbows. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great hotel, the grounds are very spread out which is nice for those of us that don't like to be on top of each other. i had stayed in Kaanapali two other times at other hotels but had always wanted to give the sheraton a go because of its prime location @ black rock and just liked being at the end.

plenty of buildings with good views - we liked the one close to black rock. those are suites however but the views and space is worth it.

Pros:
1. Very spacious grounds not cramped at all even when having outdoor events (weddings) not an intrusion at all
2. Good pools - with lagoons
3. Best beach scene - every comes down to be in front of sheraton for beach and black rock experience
4. great snorkel and scuba site right at your front door - if your are certified diver as we are, you can get a great private guide that will do 4 great dives - one of which being black rock about 30-40' for just under an hour at hotel. you can do night dives here as well. the other 2 are just on other side of black rock and there is finally the mala pier which is an awesome dive complete with white tip reef sharks
5. scuba outfitter onsite for guided dives and night dives if needed
6. staff was cool
7. free internet

Cons:
1. we had some ants in our bar area but I think it was a byproduct of our rooms being very old structurally and being built into the blackrock mountain - not a big deal
2. no sushi bars onsite, japengo is awesome at the hyatt - the two onsite restaurants were okay - I ordered a filet and it was over-cooked. the other one was a benihana type setup which is very tired and 1980's.. the day food grills were fine - the club area for suites was not impressive either - just chips and dips stuff - lots of pacaged carb food - breakfast stuff - okay
3. you had to pay $45 to reserve a cabana type lounge chair (2) package on beach or pool
4. I don't think this is a con, but if your looking for a quite beach front, this is not the spot and you will be irritated. if you enjoy being around other folks that are just having clean relaxing time and watching kids and adults doing crazy jumps off of black rock point, you will dig it.
5. not a big deal either, but if your room is situated to look down the beaches of Kaanapali, the fact that this hotel is situated at end of the strand and part of buildings wraps aound the tip of black rock, you will miss sunsets if on your balcony - solution go down to beach (2 minutes from room door) and watch it. :)

bottom line, hard hotel to beat unless you want the best dining in house and quiet beaches. We will be going back - mainly for the grounds, location black rock, beach activities, scuba right there.

best, Rich

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard H
Aloha Richard H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

If you have read any of my other reviews, I am easily entertained and easily made happy… So…I chose this hotel over the Hyatt due to the snorkelling and cliff diving as portrayed on the website. The snorkelling is good. We saw turtles and lovely fish. The nightly cliff dive was a huge disappointment. My 12 year old daughter and I looked at each other after the hullabaloo and said, "that was it?" The pictures portrayed and what actually happens is disappointing. My credit card was charged $4k, no joke, based on "the 12 days we were spending there" according to the front desk. I have a 10k limit, which would have been used up by day 8. We were in room 3205 with a lovely view of stucco. I did not complain, as I knew we wouldn't be staying in the room for long periods of time. Again, just happy to be in Maui. The shuttle service to different properties and Front St is nice. Had no problem with staff, very friendly. What I did find is that the Cliff Bar is VERY understaffed. I actually for the FIRST time ever, did not leave a tip as it took an hour to order and pay for a glass of wine. The "adult pool area" bar closed at 4. There were many people willing to PAY to buy another drink, not sure why the Sheraton wouldn't cater to people willing to spend money. Ate at the steak house with a reservation. No sign of a hostess for 5 minutes. Watched her turn away many customers staying at the hotel…no night life if you are looking for any. Everything is closed by 10pm. Very limited lounge chairs and beach towels. Had to wait for towels and chairs on several occasions. If you want to pay…there are many cabanas and chairs available. Luau was so-so. Nothing special. Called the front desk on the date of check out to ask if they would email my bill. "No problem". Three weeks later, I have again contacted the hotel for an itemized list of my expenses….On the whole, we LOVED Maui, look at my other posts for many positive reviews…just wished I'd stayed at the Hyatt….hope this helps…I am a Starwood Preferred Guest if that helps….

Room Tip: Don't get booked on the 3rd floor garden view…you get stucco.
1 Thank kandofrank
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Aloha kandofrank,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time on Maui and appreciate your feedback. We will review your feedback with our management team and use it as a tool to better server our future guests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again and to exceed your expectations.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My 50th birthday celebration turned into the worst hotel experience of my life. I have never filled out an online review, but this experience was too bad to ignore.
The following are highlights of our experience:
- We were given the wrong room type upon check in and had to go back to front desk to switch rooms. Our reservation was for Deluxe Ocean front and we were first given a room with an ocean, mountain and parking lot view.
- When we checked in, the front desk agent told us to use our key to access the gate to our building (6) which was a quite distance away but the key did not work and several other guests had the same issue, we had to call and have someone to come and open the gate...
- After coming back to our room on the first night, we brought our dinner home and by the time we grabbed a drink form the fridge our food was covered in ants. So we went the first night without any dinner as we were too tired from over 8 hours flight and time zone change. When we called the front desk, we were told that someone will come by in the morning to spray for ants. The next day we called the front desk again to state that no one showed up to spray for ants and to tell them that we discovered that we had roaches and other insects in the rooms as well (we took picture and videotaped the different types of bugs), also, we had blood stains on the side of our bed sheets (horrible). (Took pictures as well and showed the housekeeper). The girl at the front desk transferred us to the manager on duty who after interrogating us on whether we had food in the room, told us that he would send someone to spray the room and when we voiced concern about the smell of the bug spray and cleanness, and we probably should not be in the room, he stated that it will be completely safe with no offer of switching or upgrading our rooms, but did remove the resort fee to compensate for the dinner and snacks we bought. (Really!!!!)
- The next morning we woke up again to find ants on the on the dresser by the TV (which we took videotaped again and showed the front desk), and we asked to speak to the manager, she stated that he was helping another guest. An hour later we received a call from the same manger and I told him that we were celebrating my 50th birthday and indicated to him that I am celebrating my fiftieth birthday with my family and not want to spend our time takin care of the room maintenance. He assured me that he would see to it personally that it gets sprayed again and the room would be cleaned. By 3:00 a.m., my wife and I woke up with sore throat and severe headache, I guess from the heavy spray in the room and spent the next day exhausted from the lack of sleep, sore throat and headache. At that point we saw no point in contacting him anymore and could not wait to check out. Simply put, the 50th birthday in paradise was ruined and made worse by the lack of care from the hotel management.

We will never go back to this property and will never forget this bad experience.

Room Tip: Nice property but horrible service and cleanness
16 Thank lla65
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Aloha lla65,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. It is regrettable to hear how disappointing your stay was. We apologize for the inconveniences and lack of customer service you experienced. Your feedback will be reviewed by our management team and used as a tool to better serve our future guests. Our guest's happiness is very important to us and we sincerely apologize for the events that occurred during your stay. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I booked via Expedia as we get points. Booked a King Room (but received a room with 2 Queens) apparantely they were newly renovated. Only thing renovated was a new carpet, new paintings on the wall. Bathroom was pretty old and used. We were moved to a differfent room the very next day. The person that assisted us with luggage came approx 30 mins late, then he used our suitcase to hold the door open, told us where the new room is and then he dissapeared and not to be seen for another 25 mins. We didn't even have keys to the new room. I spoke with the manager upon departure and got an apology.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an Ocean View.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luxrytrvlr
Aloha luxrytrvlr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is regrettable to hear about the lack of customer service you experienced and we apologize for the inconveniences. We appreciate your feedback and will review it with our management team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

duxbury ma
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We arrived at 10 pm Maui time (and bedtime for us) and had an issue with a sucky room. Woman got us in to a much better room in the morning, so we crashed for the night and moved along. Breakfast every day was available to us as Platinum guests and it was good. We went out twice just for a change. I loved the resort. we never had a problem, all the employees were very friendly and professional. Our room was small but adequate. Great view. Wanted a suite but not available. Other issue was the gate to the parking lot was always broken. Somehow we managed, and it was great to have a spot near our room.
Luau at the hotel is lame. PLEASE make a reservation at the Old Lahaina Luau. we did not. It is supposed to be the best.
The Sheraton is a Sheraton. It is fine and the service is great. We had a blast

Room Tip: Ask?? Make sure you ask for an oceanfront room.
Green Features: We never had a maid come till midway thru. Just got towels every day.
3 Thank jakesmaw
Aloha jakesmaw,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!