“Good Hotel, but”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 October 2004

Fabulous position with other resorts close at hand, particularly Whalers Village which is a good place to eat if the prices are too high at Sheraton. Rooms show signs of wear with grouting missing from bath and wallpaper stained. Furniture shows signs of wear. Good size suites with comfortable beds.
We bookeed a King bed Ocean View room several months ago paying a full package price (rental car included). On arrival we were given a double bed room that smelled musty. Requested reception to change room to our (booked) King bed room only to be told that Sheraton's policy did not guarantee a booking. They moved us to another double bed room immediately and agreed to move us to a King bed room the next day when one became available.
Staff are excellent and very accommodating.
A superior class hotel showing signs of age.

1  Thank WWwatkins

Coto de Caza, CA
Reviewed 28 September 2004

My only question is, why go through an extensive remodel of your hotel and only put double beds in the rooms? There certainly was enough space to put in queen size beds. Our family of 4 stayed for a week recently and overall loved the Sheraton Maui, the beach, pool, restaurants and staff were all
wonderful. However, after the second night of squeezing into these beds, we quickly became sleep deprived. We are not large people and the kids are little. We even inquired about upgrading to a larger suite and found out that these too only had double beds. It is the only reason we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2004
LaCrosse, WI
Reviewed 27 September 2004

My husband and I went to Maui last year in October 2003 for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Sheraton Maui and had a wonderful time. After a day of flying from Wisconsin to Hawaii we arrived at the hotel in our rental vehicle (a must have in Maui) at about 8:00 pm. We were greeted by a very welcoming staff. When booking our honeymoon through a travel agent we only booked a garden view room, but per the advice of our travel agent we asked about the possibility of an upgrade upon our arrival. The front desk stated the hotel was booked the first 2 nights but said we could be upgraded to an ocean front room for the remaining days of our stay. Our 1st floor garden view room was nice and the hotel had a bottle of champagne waiting for us too. It has a lanai/patio and was next to the croquet lawn. We got the culture/sticker shock of Hawaii when we just wanted some water and ordered 2 bottles of it from room service and it was over $11.00 (we found a pop machine down along the beach walkway that had bottled water at a great price, so we stocked up!) Also - be wary about having your lanai door open because we did find a cockroach in our room. I called the front desk and they apologized but advised those are common in the islands. The next day while we were out the hotel transfered our bags to our new room and we were set in a room with a spectacular ocean view and large bathroom (and no cockroaches!).

When we were booking our honeymoon we were debating on whether or not to include the breakfast buffet in the package. We didn't, and although we did eat at it one morning and it was very good I am glad we didn't pay the extra money to have it included. Activities start rather early in Maui because by noon time it is very hot. We were usually on the road to an activity and wouldn't have had time to eat the buffet anyway.

We booked our activities through the concierge desk at the Sheraton, and I wish I could remember his name because he was great! He was so helpful and helped us decide on what we wanted to do and then made the calls to arrange everything. He had great advice, especially when we were debating between options because he had done practically all of the activities so he gave us first hand advice. Things we did: *Haleakala (since we were off on the time difference it was perfect opportunity to get up VERY early and drive to the top to watch the sunrise on our first morning. There are biking tours, but we choose to drive ourselves since we had the vehicle). *Luau at the Hyatt Regency. Highly recommend it because it is Hawaii! Also nice because you can just walk down the beach to it. *Snuba & Snorkeling, through Aqua Adventures. Would definitely recommend them over the large boats that take alot of people. The crew with Aqua Adventures were great! I was nervous to Snuba but they helped me and they got to know everybody by their first names. It is a smaller boat (about 20 or so people) so you get great service. *Road to Hana, Beautiful sites! but very curvy road, but very glad we did it. Don't forget to stop and fill up with gas, buy snacks because there are no stores along the way. We also bought the Hana CD that was being sold at a stand next to a gas station and it was helpful. You play it while driving Hana and it points out things we would have missed (you also get a styrofoam cooler w/ ice too.) *Dinner cruise aboard the Teralani 2. This was great! Relaxing dinner and drinks on a boat that was casual. Can't wait to do it again. *4-wheeler adventer ride on Haleakala (then walked over the vineyard next door!) *Surf lesson. Was great fun!

The Sheraton has the best beach along the stretch of Ka'annapli. The other hotels seemed very nice too (Westin, Hyatt, etc) but the beach was the biggest at the Sheraton. The Sheraton is spread out with lots of garden and walk ways/grass areas but it does not take but minutes to walk the area. The bartenders were very nice and made great cocktails. The pool area was also very nice and had many chairs spread out around it (in contrast to the other hotels where they had many chairs but were practically on top of eachother). My husband went for a quick swim while I was finishing packing and he said he say something floating in the water, but who knows.
Whalers Village is also right down the beach bath and has a couple restaurants and a variety of shops. (We ate at Lelani's and can't wait to go back)

All in all we had a great honeymoon and can not wait to go back to Hawaii. We truly enjoyed our time at the Sheraton but there are so many nice hotels in Maui that we may try something new.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 September 2004

We just returned from a 6 day stay (9/9 to 9/14) and have to say overall were very impressed with the hotel. My wife and I (no kids) went just to get away from the grind at home and relax and that is exactly what the Sheraton is good for. After reading all the reviews on this webpage, I was a little concerned about certain things but am now very pleased that I overlooked these and came here anyway. Highlites:
Upon check in, we were greeted with nice leis and walked right up to registration with no lines. We had booked a partial O/V room, but were immediately upgraded to an O/Front room on the top floor of building 3 (6th floor). The view was very nice although blocked by alot of palm trees (we are in Hawaii, right?), but you could see the grounds, the ocean, and the island of Lanai across the water. The balcony was very small which was a drag as my wife and I like to sit out in the morning with our coffee and enjoy the view. It was hardly big enough for both of us to be out there at the same time! I was told the lower the floor, the bigger the balcony so being at the top I guess that is what we sacrificed. My only other complaint about the room was the size of the bathroom, it was tiny. I could not imagine having a whole family trying to use this let alone just the 2 of us. The room was very clean though and all the fixtures and furniture seemed to be in good shape. We did not have the A/C noise problem that I have read about in several reviews, we slept well. The beds are comfortable but the pillows were not nice to sleep on. If you like a firm pillow, you may want to bring your own, these were so soft it felt like there was nothing there.
Overall, the resort was very uncrowded, we found out that they were at 60-65% capacity which was great for us. No offense, but when I go on vacation the last thing I want is a crowded environment or a bunch of kids running around and screaming. It was quiet, mellow, and allowed us to really relax. I don't think I have ever been to a resort that size that was so peaceful! I kept waiting for the traditional party animals to break out in the pool in the afternoon (which usually happens at most resorts) but it never did.
The pool was awesome, a large deep 8' pool to swim laps in (if you like) that turns into a floating canal of a river that winds through the property lined by lava rock and waterfalls. My only complaint would be that they need a pool bar of some kind as you have to get out of the pool every time you want a drink and go stand with the people eating their lunches to get a drink.
Drink prices are way high, $8-10 a drink. Suggestion for those who like a strong drink: order the "old style mai tai". You will only need one or two of these and you are good to go for the day, wow! Also, the hours of operation of the bars are strange: there are 2 poolside bars and they are both closed by 8pm (one closes at 3pm) with an inside bar closing at 10pm, nowhere to go for a late night drink if you want to wander. You can take the 10 minute walk down to Whalers Village if you want to continue your party or a 5 minute cab ride into La Haina where there are plenty of bars and clubs.
Back to the pool..if you lay by the pool the chairs are free and there were plenty of chairs every day we were there, we never had to go without. If you wanted a prime spot (like by the waterfalls) you did have to go down early and claim your spot but it was easy to do. As for the beach chairs, I had a real problem with having to "rent" these. These should be an a first come, first served basis. Paying $30 a day to sit in a chair is outrageous and I could not justify doing it. Sit by the pool for free and walk onto the beach, it is right there!
Also be prepared to rent snorkel, fins, mask, rafts, and anything else you want to use in the pool or ocean, none of it is included. I brought my own mask and snorkel and figure I saved myself $75 by weeks end!
You will want to snorkel at Black rock and I believe it is one of the best spots on the island to snorkel, and it is right there in front of the hotel! I took a day and went to 2 other places around the island that were recommended to me as the "best" spots and I was disappointed with both as they were not clear and the variety of fish was nowhere as good. At Black rock I swam with Sea turtles, Eagle Rays and dozens of other varieties of tropical fish. I went out at least once a day and was never disappointed.
The sunset ceremony each night was a nice touch and a great way to end the day. With acoustic live music and a torch carrier that runs through the resort and up onto the cliffs, lights the torches for the evening right as the sun is setting, then dives into the water was great. We went every night we could and saw some incredible sunsets.
As for food, we had the breakfast buffet a couple times and most of it was real good. The omelette bar was great and all the frest fruit and juices were nice. The preheated remainders were a typical buffet type of food. We did have dinner one night in the main restaurant and had a very nice prime rib dinner, and I also experienced an amazing coconut shrimp dinner via room service. Overall, the food was very well presented and very tasty.
The staff were great. They were always super friendly, corteous, and always greeted us with a smile and asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay more pleasant. This went on throughout the entire week, we did not have one unfriendly situation.
Lastly, if you are going, 2 recommendations:
The sunset cocktail cruise on the Terelani 65' Catamaran was a definite highlight of the trip.
Drinks, food and a cruise off the coast on a beautiful boat was a perfect end to one of our evenings and last,
If you are a scuba diver, I did several dives with LaHaina Divers. It was a great experience, the crew was nice and helpful, the boats were clean, plenty of room and the gear was all up to date. I have been out with many dive companies and these guys were one of the best.
Any questions at all, please don't hesitate to email me

• Stayed: September 2004
6  Thank drumeister
Richmond,VA
Reviewed 16 September 2004

My wife and I spent eight days and seven nights from 8/17/04 - 8/24/04 at the Sheraton, Maui. We were celebrating our 40th wedding aniversery and it was also also our primary vacation during 2004. The Sheraton is a beautiful property, and our ocean front room in building 6 was spectacular. The staff is wonderful, and helped to make our anniversary/vacation a splendid experience that we will cherish forever. When we return to Maui our hotel will definitely be the Sheraton, Maui.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 September 2004

We had a two-part honeymoon that started August 17th at the Sheraton Maui at Black Rock for four nights. In short, we loved our stay and we both feel that the Sheraton is easily the nicest resort on Ka'anapali Beach. Positives and negatives are below:

1. Overall Resort "Ambiance": The Sheraton was renovated in 1995 and it shows. As you drive along Ka'annapali road past all the other resorts, it is clear that the Sheraton looks newest, most modern and most well kept. In fact, as we were driving up the road, I was initially concerned because I noticed that several of the resorts had an outdated feel and I wanted something nicer for our honeymoon. When we arrived at the Sheraton, I was relieved. The lobby, which is outdoors, frames the ocean nicely and is ventilated by a wonderful cross-breeze. The guests represented a reasonable mixture of honeymooners, families and probably a few business guests (very few).

2. Rooms: It seems that many people took issue with their room quality. We stayed in a "deluxe ocean view" room, which was on the 5th floor (of 5) and directly faced the grounds and ocean. The room had clearly been updated (as I thought the entire hotel had been in 1995). Our room had a digital electronic thermostat that we could manually adjust to our liking and we had a large bathroom in which the toilet had its own miniature room and door separating it from the remainder of the bathroom. The view couldn't be beat from our room.

3. Cost: While we signed up as Starwood Preferred Guests (which you can do online) to get a better rate, we actually got the best rate with our AAA membership (surprise). We paid $300/night which after the state tax, occupancy tax, and resort charge ($14.58 per day) brought us to $349 per night. I hate resort fees and if I was given the choice to stay at an equivalent resort without the additional fees, I would. The Sheraton was expensive, but so is everything else in the area and like I said, it is the best hotel on Ka'anapali.

4. Beach: In fairness to the resorts in Kapalua and Wailea, we didn't spend our time comparing several beaches. However, as far as Ka'anapali is concerned, black rock is the place to be. Several folks staying at other hotels come to the Sheraton's beachfront to snorkel, jump off black rock, and enjoy the gentle sloping beach. My wife, who is a bit snorkel-phobic, had no problems snorkling in the calm waters in front of the Sheraton and while it isn't the best snorkeling I've ever done in my life (Australia), it was quite good and much better than what I have seen in the Carribean. One note about the beach is that if you want either an umbrella, or a beach chair, or the slightly nicer wooden beach chaise/umbrella combo, you need to purchase it for the day. The nicer combos rent for $30 and have two chairs, while a single typical beach recliner with rubber slats will run you $10 for one, $15 for two and then another $15 for the umbrella (so $30 for two chairs and an umbrella). The nicer combos were often rented out a day or sometimes two days in advance while the beach chairs were available until about 9AM on any given day (at which point they were generally rented out).

5. Food: Overall, we thought the food in HAWAII (i.e. as a whole) was groosly overpriced and poor in quality. We didn't eat at the Sheraton except for breakfast so I can't comment on their dinner selections. The breakfast buffet was generally excellent, with a large selection of fresh fruit, omelette station, and all the other usual accoutrements that one would expect of such a buffet. The food at the poolside bar was adequate and what you would expect for a pool bar.

6. Bar: The poolside lagoon bar served standard drinks with pre-mixed commercial drink preparations (e.g. pina colada mix, daquiri mix, et cetera) at relatively exhorbitant prices but this was par for the course on the island. Expect $9 per drink. You CAN get a fresh fruit drink upon request but sometimes it takes a bit of arm wrestling. It seems a bit absurd to me that after all the money we're spending, we can't get decent drinks, but this, again, is island-wide. In addition, since the beach is publically owned (as are all the beaches on Hawaii), you can't get bar service on the beach.

7. Pool: If you are a pool-devotee, then you may be a bit disappointed with the Sheraton. The pool is still quite nice, but relatively small for a resort of its size. It also lacks the large waterfalls and slides that give kids an all-day distraction while the adults frolic elsewhere. I'm NOT a devotee, so this didn't bother me, but the pool is not the strongpoint of the resort.

8. Grounds: The grounds in front of the hotel are mainly composed of large lawns that are analogous to the fairway cut grass one would find on a golf course. I am not a big fan of such a look, but I also don't really care and it doesn't affect my vacation in the least, but some people seem to take these things into account. The Hyatt in Kauai, in contrast, has amazingly well-tended tropical grounds that really "wow" you when you enter the lobby.

Summary: The Sheraton Maui was a wonderful place, with a great beach and a relaxing atmosphere. When we initially arrived, I knew we should have booked a longer stay but we were trying to economize as we were Kauai-bound during Honeymoon: Part II. My only grievances really concern the ticky-tack extra fees and the lack of a slightly better bar with beach service (though we're not big drinkers, by any means, it's nice to "change your whole Latitude" as Corona says without having to move from your chair! When my wife pined for a fresh fruit drink instead of a premixed corn-syrupy one, the manager was very responsive so I can't imagine that you couldn't get an upgrade or a changed room if you were unhappy with the room you intially are given. I am essentially "anti-demanding" and basically skiddish when it comes to comlaining in general, but if we had any needs, they took care of them without a fuss.

Feel free to email me if you have specific questions that I haven't covered. Enjoy your stay. We did!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2004

We stayed at the Sheraton in Maui a few days. I was disappointed in the rooms. They are in desparate need of upgrading. The grout is discolored and cracked, the wallpaper stained and peeling. the A/C unit very loud. The furniture very old and worn. Fortunately the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The hotel has a nice location near black rock and walking distance to Whaler's village. The pool is lagoon style and very layed back. The Sheraton allows you to use its sister property at the Westin. That place is much nicer than the Sheraton, at least on the outside, I can't vouch for the rooms, and the pool is great. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. The Sheraton was expensive and quiet, the westin had lots of activities and was busy.

• Stayed: August 2004, travelled on business
1  Thank mgiedlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!