“Awesome with very minor tweeking”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Positives:
whale & turtle watching right from room - Amazing
Clean, well presented , friendly staff

Opportunity for improvement:
Pool areas & service stay open until diver completes evening dive
Pool bars have a "carry 1 drink rule" - check your demographic, I see extremely few "one ofs", hence it should be a 2 drink limit so I can bring my spouse a drink without making two trips

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdpower56
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2010

Aloha jdpower56. Mahalo for your positive feedback from your recent stay. Unfortunately the 1 drink per person rule has to do with the liquor laws here on Maui, however I do see your point about wanting to carry a drink to your spouse. I have sent your comments on to our food & beverage department for consideration. Thank you again for taking the time to share them.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,521)

Reviewed 14 December 2010

This was our third trip to Maui, but the first time we have stayed at the Sheraton. All of the hotels on Kaanapali beach are amazing, but we liked the Sheraton the best! Our room was large, with a very comfortable king bed and large balcony with amazing ocean views. The grounds of this hotel are the prettiest I've seen and the location simply can't be improved on. The endess pool was wonderful-it never felt crowded even though we were there at a busy time (Thanksgiving and the Maui Invitational Tournament). Although we didn't eat often at the resort, the food we had was excellent-great breakfast buffet in the morning and a wonderful Thanksgiving buffet. (When my husband expressed disappointed at the lack of cooked green veggies at the buffet , the chef came out and offered to cook some especially for him. Now that's service!) . We were able to watch the sun set nightly from our balcony, as the torches were lit on the black rocks and the Cliff Diver took his sunset dive. Unforgettable! We try to go back to Maui every few years for Thanksgiving and the Tournament, and the Sheraton will be our resort of choice in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Aloha and mahalo for your positive feedback from your recent stay with us. The week of Thanksgiving and the Maui Invitational is a very fun time to visit our resort and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back for future tournaments!

Reviewed 13 December 2010

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it! We booked a partial-ocean view room, but to our surprise had (what we think) was an ocean front. We could see and hear the waves from our bed! It was truly amazing! I felt that everyone really captured what Hawaii calls "the Aloha spirit." Each and every staff were extremely friendly, always greeting us with an "Aloha" and a smile.

The resort was clean, rooms were spacious. The pools were great, although very cold. We did not get a chance to try the spa. The nightly cliff dive was relaxing to watch during sunset at the poolside bar. They have cocktail hour from 3-5pm.

We had the breakfast buffet included with our stay. There was a large variety and everything was delicious. We did not get a chance to try any of the restaurants (one was closed), but I'm confident that they were just as good. They also had a deal where every third night was free, so we paid for 4 nights and stayed for 6 (not bad!).

The location was great, right on Kaanapali Beach. There is a path from the Sheraton to Whalers Village (shopping area/restaurants), which is about a five minute walk. Front Street (shops/restaurants/luaus/surfing) is less than a 10 minute drive. And there are lots of other restaurants and shops (including a mall) within a 10 minute drive as well.

I would highly recommend staying at the Sheraton in Lahaina if you plan to visit Maui. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MT0308

Mahalo for the positive review of the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, and congratulations on your recent marriage! I am very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable honeymoon with us.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton for 4 nights in early December. We were fortunate to get upgraded to an ocean view room which definitely made the stay more enjoyable. If you want to snorkel - you can't beat the location, drop your towel at the pool and head into the ocean right in front of the resort - we saw sea turtles and many multicolored fish. Beach was great, soft white sand - no shade though. Plenty of shade by the pool however. As others have mentioned you can rent a cabana and two chairs for 40 dollars - did not seem worth it and a little exorbitant to us. Food - we did not eat at the property, did try Hula Grill and Lealani's at Whaler's village which is about a 10 minute walk along the beach from the hotel. Also went to several places in Lahaina such as Pacifico which was fantastic but a little over priced. Also - another tip - one day we stopped at the TIme Supermarket bought some sushi and pokey and had a little picnic at one of the beaches up North. I know it sounds crazy but that was probably some of the best sushi we have ever had. The Sheraton was the most 'natural' of all the resorts along the Kanapalli stretch of beach and has done a nice job of maintaining the natural beauty of the Black Rock into the design of the resort. I did a massage day at another resort and did not like how they had built the pool areas to look like a circus and block the ocean view . The Sheraton did a great job of allowing you to sit by the pool but still see the Black Rock and occasional views of the ocean. Plus they put these red bean bag floaties in the pool for you to use. Fun! Another plus that we loved was our room had a microwave and fridge - not sure if these are standard to all rooms so maybe ask when you book your reservation. We were able to save a little money and time that way as we just had cereal in the mornings instead of going out for breakfast. We would stay here again. Con - The front desk staff and some of the other staff are not the friendliest. Competent and helpful, definitely. But we were hard pressed to ever see someone genuinely smile. My husband thought the rooms were a bit outdated, he stays at other Sheratons for work, but I thought they were fine and clean. We were in building 6, which is a bit of walk to the rest of the resort, but not a big deal as the walk is enjoyable. Just don't forget something in your room :) One of the pool bars was closed a couple days during our stay for some maintenance, but the pool and deck were still open for the most part. Product of going during the two week downtime before the holidays. We did not have an issue getting chairs when arriving at the pool at about 9:30, but again it was a low season time of year. Things to do - We travel a lot to various outdoorsy type places and personally thought the Road to Hana was nothing special. we only went halfway and for the most part the views were what we have seen in Oregon, Montana or Vietnam. Instead might I suggest the drive up along the north coast of West Maui to see the blowhole Much better ocean views than Road to Hana. If you want vegetation - do Road to Hana - if you want cliff views of ocean do the north shore of West Maui. The 25 dollar resort fee for internet, parking and morning paper is annoying - just include it in the price. Not sure why they don't. Overall happy with our stay and if we go back to West Maui would choose to stay at the Sheraton again. Very relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelkat62
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

Mahalo for taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent stay! I've passed your comments on to the staff as you had a lot of great feedback. In regards to a couple of your comments, our pool staff just recently added those red bean bags to the pool, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them, and all of the rooms do have refrigerators, but not all the rooms have microwaves - those are only the deluxe ocean view rooms and suites. We hope that if you do choose to come back to West Maui again we will see you at the Sheraton Maui.

Reviewed 7 December 2010

Just returned from a fantastic week at the Sheraton Resort in Maui. This is our 5th stay at this beautiful property and it gets better and better. Check in was nice and easy, valet parked the car, bellman grabbed the bags and we were off to our room in a golf cart. We received room 4610 and let me tell you it was perfect. We had two balconies one facing the pool and the other facing the ocean and Black Rock. It was an incredible view. Slight problem with the A/C, called the front desk and it was fixed in ten minutes. Everyone at the resort could not have been more pleasant everyone had that "ALOHA SPIRIT". Breakfast was included in our room rate and the food was great. Variety and preperation was great. Concierge helped us with a snorkel trip and set up a tee time for golf, arranged for club rentals for my wife and I from a local vendor who delivered the clubs direct to the hotel. The location is perfect, we snorkeled Black Rock almost every day saw sea turtles, tons of tropical fish eals and rays. Pool was great, rented a gazebo on two of our beach days. Whalers village was just a short walk away and gave some nice options for dinner. Would like to go on and on about local restaurants and side trips but I need to go back to work to pay for this great trip. Thanks to everyone at the Sheraton for making this another special trip. We will be back next year the week after Thanksgiving can't wait.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I have been meaning to write this review since we came back from our honeymoon and have just got round to it!! My partner and I were married in Las Vegas and decided to have our honeymoon at the Sheraton Hotel, Maui.

My wife had previously stayed at this hotel some four years previously and loved the hotel and the island of Maui. It was a bit of a brave decision to return for our honeymoon (would I like it as much as she had done??). But she didn't need to have worried because I loved this hotel and location just as much as she did!!

The Sheraton is a wonderful hotel, really luxurious and in possibly the most perfect location in the world. The hotel grounds are perfectly manicured and simply beautiful. The room was clean and modern with a very comfy bed. The pool was gorgeous - lots of different sections and areas to make it interesting. The dining rooms were also fantastic, we especially loved the indoor - outdoor dining experience. Our breakfast was included in the hotel price which we were very pleased about. The breakfast was awesome - everything you would ever want for breakfast!!

The location of this hotel is wonderful, built right on Black Rock. We spent lots of time snorkelling around the rock, especially early in the morning when it was very quiet and saw fantasitc marine life. Our last day was the best when we swam with three green turtles, loads of colourful reef fish and eagle rays - it was stunning - all within 100yds of the beach!!

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank the Sheraton Maui for making our stay and our honeymoon such a wonderful experience. Maui certainly has that ability to get into a persons soul - I think it is the beauty of the island coupled with the contentedness of the local people. We certainly can't wait to come back again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesW44

Congratulations on your recent marriage, and thank you again for choosing to spend your honeymoon at our resort. I am so glad to hear that the resort lived up to your wife's fond memories and that you found everything you were looking for on your trip. Thanks again for sharing your story, I hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2010

The location of this hotel is fabulous for snorkeling. One of the best locations for snorkeling in Hawaii is just steps away, which is super convenient when you are traveling with a toddler. My husband and I took turns watching our son while the other watched him. And, when I think of the huge effort it is to drive to a snorkel beach with a little one you really value location. Here, we woke up at 8 a.m. got dressed, grabbed some towels and hit the beach before 9 a.m. While later on our trip when we went to Hanamanu Bay in Oahu we had to wake up at 6 to get dressed, pack our stuff, get lunch and snacks, get in the car, drive, park and then carry all our stuff to the beach to get to the beach by 9 am. Huge difference. My vote is for location when traveling with small kids. And, then the pool was nice. I thought it was strange at first since it's more a meandering stream. It just looks visually different then an olympic size pool. But, my son loved it. It was fun roaming the pool. They had a hula dancer one afternoon. Another day they had a lei making class, and that man was soo friendly. Even with all the family activities, I did not see that many little children. The hotel seems to attract lots of early risers, who are out running and walking.

We lucked out and got a free upgrade to the ocean view room that overlooked the pool. It was amazing view to wake up to! That view is all I remember about the room. I know there were minor things to whine about but they all pale in comparison to the view. Three weeks later I don't remember what the were. Most reviews are accurate. This place was not the fanciest place. But, I don't care about the lack of granite counter tops more than a fabulous location. I would say this place was near perfect except I was upset that one day housekeeping did not come to clean. We did leave our "do not disturb" sign was up past the late morning but I called and told them we were leaving and please come now. They never came! I called and complained and all I got an apology. But again after a free upgrade to an ocean view, I will still say I would come back here in a quick second and hope that I get that view again for a garden price.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences from your recent stay. I agree that the location is great - especially if you have small children and don't want to travel very far to experience the island. I apologize about the miscommunication regarding your housekeeping. I've passed that comment on to our Property Operations department to review with their staff. We hope you will visit us again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!