“Mixed Feelings”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Could have stayed many other places but really wanted to stay here because we had been to sunset dive & snorkeling at Black Rock on our last visit 4 years ago, & we thought this property was beautiful. It is. The setting is lovely & so spread out that you are not always on top of other guests, like at some other resorts in this area.
Unfortunately though, we had questionable service impressions. We were upgraded, which was great, but room was not ready for over an hour after promised delivery time & we had to check back with them. Towel attendant was totally rude. Just having arrived late in the afternoon, we had no idea what the towel turn in time was & we were very flippantly told we would have to carry our dirty pool towels with us if we wanted clean replacements the next day. Hauling dirty towels to see dive at sunset ceremony was not cool. No time to get to room & back. I did report this & the person I spoke with seemed to understand. The Mai Tai pool bartenders were very nice & worked really hard to ensure guests were pleased. Nice view from bar stools with catamarans off on the distance.
The room itself was clean & cozy. Bathroom was not as functional as others we have had, with everything including closet in the bathroom. Lanai was very dirty upon arrival, but they did clean when requested, then it was very enjoyable.
A lot of sand & kids in the pool. Floating bean bags were fun though. Beach seemed much more crowded and dirty this time, & unfortunately although we saw a lot of fish while snorkeling , the coral reef seemed really stressed compared to others we saw. Will probably not stay in the Lahaina /Ka'annapali area again, but would stay at the Hyatt again if I did. I would recommend this place to families only.

2  Thank mahalowannabe
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the aspects of our resort including the Mai Tai Bartenders, the location and the new floating bean bags. I also sincerely apologize that some of your service encounters were not positive experiences. The Cliff Diving Ceremony is very special and I can understand your frustrations with having to hold on to your towels during the ceremony. Your comments regarding this incident have been passed along to our Operations Managers so they may speak with their staff. I hope that if you do decide to return to Maui in the future you will again consider the Sheraton Maui so that we can create a more positive experience for you.

Reviewed 26 December 2010

Just spent a weekend at this hotel. We rented a cabana at the pool for a special birthday party. The pool staff were very professional and attentive - we couldn't have had better service! The valet parking staff are awesome and very friendly - they were very helpful and great employees. But, I have to say the front desk staff was not very friendly to me, especially when they realized I was a local from Hawaii and then the aloha was gone and I felt like a bother. All in all, I would stay there again if I couldn't find anything else, but certainly not at their full listed price. I am lucky to get "kama'aina" (local resident) rates which makes this hotel more reasonable (and I've stayed at all sorts of hotels around the world). Was clean, room was comfortable, with nice bed. If you have a difficult walking and want to be nearer the restaurants then request a closer room - the hotel is very large and spread out so lots of walking. Did not eat at the restaurants as my daughter lives in Lahaina and made other local plans.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Aloha and mahalo for sharing your feedback about the Sheraton Maui. I am very sorry to hear that you felt as if our Front Desk staff treated you as a "bother" because you are a kama‘aina guest. We are very appreciative of our kama‘aina visitors as they are oftentimes our biggest supporters. Your comments have been passed on to the Front Office Manager so she may discuss them with her staff. I hope that in the future you will choose to stay with us again so we may share our aloha with you in all areas.

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Amazing. I can't even explain in words. If you like warm pools this is not the place for you. The pools are freezing. FREEZING

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Aloha & mahalo for your positive review of the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. Our pool can get colder during the winter months, especially after having a couple rainy days in a row. Hopefully the sun will warm it up again soon!

Reviewed 23 December 2010

We booked the Sheraton Maui on Priceline, so we were given the bottom-of-the-barrel room type. I've stayed in garden-view rooms before and sometime preferred them as they tend to be quieter and have pretty views, but this one overlooked a concrete service breezeway. Because it was ground-floor, it really seemed like a basement apartment and was very dark, even midday. The bathroom was average size but really needed to be freshened up and updated. Nice bathroom amenities though, and the robes were appreciated.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful with strolling pathways and lots of plants. The pool is fantastic and probably the best thing about the hotel. I would have thought it was one of the best I'd seen, until we went to the Westin and saw theirs! Some directional signage would be a good idea though since it is sometimes difiicult to get your bearings and find things like bathrooms or the towel kiosk.

The beach is wonderful with a great view of Black Rock. We didn't snorkel here as we did a snorkel cruise on the Gemini (very highly recommended). We saw the cliff dive ceremony twice but didn't get pictures either time. The first time my camera battery died just as the diver was climbing to the top and the second time a bunch of kids were hanging out on the top of the rock while the ceremony was happening so the shots were obstructed.

The location of the Sheraton is very convenient, both for walking and driving. We used the beach walk path a lot to get to other hotels, restaurants and Whaler's Village, and we also used the shuttle service to go in to the Old Lahaina Luau (so fantastic). The shuttle worked out really well for us although the pickup location at the hotel needs some explanation. We were told by the bellman to go down to the end of the driveway to get it there, but what he didn't tell us was that you have to go into the little circular driveway off to the side into what looks like an abandoned secondary reception desk. Sit on the bench and the shuttle, marked "Westin" will come for you. There are multiple pickup spots in Lahaina, none of which are marked either, so a little map would really be handy.

As we had a rental car, we parked, first using the complimentary valet service and then once we got situated in our room, started using the self-park at the back of the hotel (by the tennis courts). It was very convenient to our room and we never once had a problem.

We only had drinks at the resort, no food, so the only thing I can comment on are the high prices, which we came to accept. There is no booze sold in the gift shop at this resort so if you want bevvies in your room, you'll need to get them off-resort and bring them with you. Something else to note is that as a Sheraton guest, you also have signing privileges at the restauarants at the Westin and Ka'anapali Beach Resort.

Service here was pretty good, at the front desk, housekeeping, bell desk and bar.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Aloha & mahalo for your very informative review of the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. I am very glad to hear that, besides your room location and bathroom, you found many of our amenities agreeable. Your comments have passed them on to our management staff for review and consideration. I really like your map idea for the shuttle to Lahaina. Thank you again for your feedback, I hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 December 2010

It's very unfortunate that I have to write this review in this manner, as I had no issues with the hotel for the most part, until the last day, and from there, the bad experience just seems to drag on...

The day that we were checking out, my wife was not feeling too well, and asked if I could go get her a cup of hot tea. As it was mid-day, the hotel restaurants were closed. I went to the front-desk and asked if they could help me get a cup of tea. I was first told to go down to the bar, which I did, and the bartender told me they had no hot tea. I went back to the front desk, where concierge said she would call for a food services manager and they would bring one to me. I sat and waited for about 5 minutes, went back to the concierge to ask again, where I was told that she got "too busy" and missed the call from food services. She called again and was able to get one of the service manager to the front desk this time, where I was told again that it could be obtained at the bar. I followed the food manager down to the bar, where she asked one of the bartenders there to help her with getting me a cup of tea (as she was fairly new and did not fully know her way around yet), we waited for a couple of minutes while the bartender simply walked around tending to other guests while completely ignoring us. Finally the service manager took it upon herself to look in the back room of the restaurant and was able to get me a cup of hot tea. The entire ordeal from start to finish, to get ONE CUP OF HOT TEA, took close to 30 minutes; all the while my wife was feeling ill.

Unfortunately, there is more. I booked my trip through Costco, where one of the perks stated with staying at the Sheraton was a $100 resort credit. Upon check-out, my final payment was $236.66. When I brought up the credit with the front desk, they said okay, and said they would charge me $136.66. Upon my return, I checked my credit card statement, and noticed that in addition to the $136.66, there was another $100 charge on it. I called the hotel THREE TIMES now to try and have this corrected, and so far, nothing has happened. Each time I am told they would "look into it right away and get the $100 credited back to my card", but absolutely nothing has happened so far.

2  Thank Harvard_Wang

Aloha Harvard_Wang. I am very sorry for the difficulties you have encountered regarding your billing and the hot tea for your wife. It is especially unfortunate to know the rest of your stay was pleasant and these items have, understandably, created a bad experience for you. I checked with the Front Office and they have credited your account as of last week. So you should see the charge removed soon. As for the tea, our Front Office and Food & Beverage teams have been made aware of your experience so that it may not occur again. I appreciate the time you took to share your encounters with us. We pride ourselves on the highest quailty of customer service, and your feedback will help us to improve in the future.

Reviewed 19 December 2010

This is a long overdue review....my wife and I went on our honeymoon back in June this year. We were blown away by Maui and the Sheraton. I'm an SPG platinum member, but booked our whole trip (airfare, rental, and car) through Orbitz for 7 nights. I contacted the resort ahead of time, and confirmed an upgraded room with points, not to take any chances. Definitely recommend doing that if you want a nice room!

When we got there, we were overlooking black-rock on the top floor, with a great room. The other reviews are all correct - when you stay over there, you're a good 5-7 minute walk down to the beach/pool and to the restaurants. However, you feel like you're the only ones on the island and its a perfect spot for honeymooners.

We were treated well for being platinum guests though. We had the free breakfast buffet, which was incredible! The pool was nice, crowded at times, and definitely had to play the towel game to get some shade. We rented cabanas at the pool a few times, which were a little costly ($40 if I remember correctly), but worth it. The beach was awesome, and so was the snorkeling. We also drove into Maui quite a few times for dinner, got massages at the spa which was great, and went zip-lining near by!

In summary, a perfect honeymoon and I'd love to go back to Maui some time, and would absolutely stay at the Sheraton again. We walked over to the Westin but it seemed like a much more family oriented resort with a lot of kids, where-as the Sheraton had much more honeymooners.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeW_CO
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2010

Aloha MikeW_CO. Congratulations on your marriage this summer! I am so happy to hear that your honeymoon at the Sheraton Maui was a perfect experience. That is very high praise! Building 6 is a little further away from the rest of the building, but I am in total agreement that it is the perfect place for those looking for seclusion on their vacation. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2010

Just stayed here a week... was really impressed with how well this hotel is run. I am very picky and prefer to stay a little nicer usually, but this time I didn't really care and found a very affordable price online. Even got an upgrade! Had a classic, relaxing, old school Hawaiian vacation experience.
For a mid-level chain, the Sheraton is uniformly stylish and immaculate. It's on manicured grounds at the end of a long beach. The room was very attractive and spacious. You can almost believe it's a Ritz circa 1999 if you squint (except for the lack of separate shower, the absence of marble on the bathroom walls and floors and some not good-looking curtains). It's not newly redone, but holding up well.
Public areas and gardens are perfectly maintained, unlike, say the Hyatt down the beach. Staff was very friendly throughout. A cart serves Starbuck's coffee and breakfast sandwiches in the lobby, which meant we didn't have to leave the premises in the morning.
Some cons... a resort fee of $25 (though it does cover self-parking)... though this is pretty typical these days. The beach is also WAY too popular with non-guests, who can park in the garage and stroll through the grounds. The food is VERY expensive (on par with a Four Seasons) and not memorable. The pool is not heated, deep in places and COLD until the late afternoon.
Lastly, the visitors at Kaanapali (versus Wailea or Kapalua) tend to be a little heftier, a little more tattooed and overall, quite a bit less photogenic. It's not the Four Seasons or Ritz Kapalua, but then, it's priced 50 to 100% less and you're not dealing with the piggy, overprivileged, entitled tourists that seem to takeover those higher-end hotels.
If you're looking for a really good place to stay on this side of the island, don't need the full high-end resort experience, and can overlook the cons, this is a great place to be.

1  Thank Andrew W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!