“Both got ill probably due to airborne mold spores from the hotel AC”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Vernon, Washington
“Both got ill probably due to airborne mold spores from the hotel AC”
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We suspect we both got mold sickness from the AC unit in our room. We asked the maid and the front desk manager to check the AC in our room, but no one ever did!

My husband has been very ill for several weeks now. He has been to the ER twice lately for severe shortness of breath.

The hotel manager denied this has been a problem, but our research showed that airborne mold sickness has been a real problem both in Oahu and Maui.

We both were so sick, we were barely able to get back home!

1 Thank Tropic53
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Aloha Tropic35. Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback and am very sorry to hear about your illnesses. I encourage you to contact our Guest Services team directly by calling 808-661-0031 so that we may look into your situation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,071)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 31 December 2010

amazing place.. it is really cool to come home and find a picture of the resort you stayed at on the cover of a calendar of beautiful places!!! if you go make sure you say hi to "V. W."

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Aloha & mahalo for your positive review of your recent stay! We do have a beautiful location, so it is very exciting to hear that a photographer deemed it calendar-worthy. We will tell the turtles you said "hi".
De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I’ve been on Maui before and in terms of value have to give this resort three stars. I had a bottom garden room without much of a view. We had some noisy people in the room next to us that wasn’t appreciated. I suppose I have to blame myself though for not asking to move. But the grounds are beautiful and location is wonderful at the end of Kaanapali, “Dig Me” beach and next to Black Rock. The pool area is fantastic and the service was really good. I did think though that the prices were high for food and drinks.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KnightLight631
Aloha KnightLight631. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear that your neighbors were noisy during your stay. Next time I hope that you will notify our guest services department while you are on property so that we assist with the situation and create a more comfortable stay. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our grounds and location. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and choosing the Sheraton Maui.
kansas city
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Could have stayed many other places but really wanted to stay here because we had been to sunset dive & snorkeling at Black Rock on our last visit 4 years ago, & we thought this property was beautiful. It is. The setting is lovely & so spread out that you are not always on top of other guests, like at some other resorts in this area.
Unfortunately though, we had questionable service impressions. We were upgraded, which was great, but room was not ready for over an hour after promised delivery time & we had to check back with them. Towel attendant was totally rude. Just having arrived late in the afternoon, we had no idea what the towel turn in time was & we were very flippantly told we would have to carry our dirty pool towels with us if we wanted clean replacements the next day. Hauling dirty towels to see dive at sunset ceremony was not cool. No time to get to room & back. I did report this & the person I spoke with seemed to understand. The Mai Tai pool bartenders were very nice & worked really hard to ensure guests were pleased. Nice view from bar stools with catamarans off on the distance.
The room itself was clean & cozy. Bathroom was not as functional as others we have had, with everything including closet in the bathroom. Lanai was very dirty upon arrival, but they did clean when requested, then it was very enjoyable.
A lot of sand & kids in the pool. Floating bean bags were fun though. Beach seemed much more crowded and dirty this time, & unfortunately although we saw a lot of fish while snorkeling , the coral reef seemed really stressed compared to others we saw. Will probably not stay in the Lahaina /Ka'annapali area again, but would stay at the Hyatt again if I did. I would recommend this place to families only.

2 Thank mahalowannabe
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the aspects of our resort including the Mai Tai Bartenders, the location and the new floating bean bags. I also sincerely apologize that some of your service encounters were not positive experiences. The Cliff Diving Ceremony is very special and I can understand your frustrations with having to hold on to your towels during the ceremony. Your comments regarding this incident have been passed along to our Operations Managers so they may speak with their staff. I hope that if you do decide to return to Maui in the future you will again consider the Sheraton Maui so that we can create a more positive experience for you.
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Just spent a weekend at this hotel. We rented a cabana at the pool for a special birthday party. The pool staff were very professional and attentive - we couldn't have had better service! The valet parking staff are awesome and very friendly - they were very helpful and great employees. But, I have to say the front desk staff was not very friendly to me, especially when they realized I was a local from Hawaii and then the aloha was gone and I felt like a bother. All in all, I would stay there again if I couldn't find anything else, but certainly not at their full listed price. I am lucky to get "kama'aina" (local resident) rates which makes this hotel more reasonable (and I've stayed at all sorts of hotels around the world). Was clean, room was comfortable, with nice bed. If you have a difficult walking and want to be nearer the restaurants then request a closer room - the hotel is very large and spread out so lots of walking. Did not eat at the restaurants as my daughter lives in Lahaina and made other local plans.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Aloha and mahalo for sharing your feedback about the Sheraton Maui. I am very sorry to hear that you felt as if our Front Desk staff treated you as a "bother" because you are a kama‘aina guest. We are very appreciative of our kama‘aina visitors as they are oftentimes our biggest supporters. Your comments have been passed on to the Front Office Manager so she may discuss them with her staff. I hope that in the future you will choose to stay with us again so we may share our aloha with you in all areas.
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Amazing. I can't even explain in words. If you like warm pools this is not the place for you. The pools are freezing. FREEZING

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Aloha & mahalo for your positive review of the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. Our pool can get colder during the winter months, especially after having a couple rainy days in a row. Hopefully the sun will warm it up again soon!
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We booked the Sheraton Maui on Priceline, so we were given the bottom-of-the-barrel room type. I've stayed in garden-view rooms before and sometime preferred them as they tend to be quieter and have pretty views, but this one overlooked a concrete service breezeway. Because it was ground-floor, it really seemed like a basement apartment and was very dark, even midday. The bathroom was average size but really needed to be freshened up and updated. Nice bathroom amenities though, and the robes were appreciated.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful with strolling pathways and lots of plants. The pool is fantastic and probably the best thing about the hotel. I would have thought it was one of the best I'd seen, until we went to the Westin and saw theirs! Some directional signage would be a good idea though since it is sometimes difiicult to get your bearings and find things like bathrooms or the towel kiosk.

The beach is wonderful with a great view of Black Rock. We didn't snorkel here as we did a snorkel cruise on the Gemini (very highly recommended). We saw the cliff dive ceremony twice but didn't get pictures either time. The first time my camera battery died just as the diver was climbing to the top and the second time a bunch of kids were hanging out on the top of the rock while the ceremony was happening so the shots were obstructed.

The location of the Sheraton is very convenient, both for walking and driving. We used the beach walk path a lot to get to other hotels, restaurants and Whaler's Village, and we also used the shuttle service to go in to the Old Lahaina Luau (so fantastic). The shuttle worked out really well for us although the pickup location at the hotel needs some explanation. We were told by the bellman to go down to the end of the driveway to get it there, but what he didn't tell us was that you have to go into the little circular driveway off to the side into what looks like an abandoned secondary reception desk. Sit on the bench and the shuttle, marked "Westin" will come for you. There are multiple pickup spots in Lahaina, none of which are marked either, so a little map would really be handy.

As we had a rental car, we parked, first using the complimentary valet service and then once we got situated in our room, started using the self-park at the back of the hotel (by the tennis courts). It was very convenient to our room and we never once had a problem.

We only had drinks at the resort, no food, so the only thing I can comment on are the high prices, which we came to accept. There is no booze sold in the gift shop at this resort so if you want bevvies in your room, you'll need to get them off-resort and bring them with you. Something else to note is that as a Sheraton guest, you also have signing privileges at the restauarants at the Westin and Ka'anapali Beach Resort.

Service here was pretty good, at the front desk, housekeeping, bell desk and bar.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Aloha & mahalo for your very informative review of the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. I am very glad to hear that, besides your room location and bathroom, you found many of our amenities agreeable. Your comments have passed them on to our management staff for review and consideration. I really like your map idea for the shuttle to Lahaina. Thank you again for your feedback, I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!