“A Perfect Stay in a Perfect Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Canberra, Australia
“A Perfect Stay in a Perfect Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We chose the Sheraton due to its location - we researched it was the best and safest part of Kanapa'ali beach (and this was correct). The hotel and location exceeded our expectations, everything was so perfect, the accommodation was large and comfortable, our view was amazing right out to the water with the odd kayaker or snorkeller going by. Beds and sheets were comfortable, easy to get the shuttle to Whalers Village (or a nice walk) and shuttle to Lahaina to shop. The price of the food at the pool bar was really reasonable and they had a good selection, so we didn't feel we were being held to ransom having to eat at the resort! The beach was divine, the activities available through the hotel concierge were we felt reasonably priced for what you got. We had a 14 month baby and I was pregnant so unfortunately didn't get to do the more extreme sports but my husband did go on a jetski which he loved. I bought Maui Jim sunglasses at the pool bar - nothing seemed to be overly "marked up". The yoga session which I attended at the hotel was great, friendly and reasonably priced. We dined at the restaurant one night with the baby. A high chair was provided with no fuss and the food, wine and service was great. The pool and beach was fantastic for wallowing around with the baby. Lots of tropical fish and people snorkelling not too far from shore.The cot provided was comfortable with crisp clean white cot sheets and a valance. It was a perfect holiday and I can highly recommend the Sheraton for families. We met people around the pool who went there year after year.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AngeTufui
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Aloha AngeTufui. Mahalo nui loa for your kind comments! I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our location and our amenities. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Korean first
Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

This place has some beautiful views. The view from the lobby is just absolutely gorgeous. The location near Whaler's Village is really nice for meals (a very pleasant 10 minute walk at the most). We went to Dukes, which is a 30 minute walk to the North for breakfast (highly recommended). Very friendly staff at the Sheraton, including the maids. They are obviously a part of the team that makes one's stay here very enjoyable.

Visit the Concierge's desk shortly after arrival. They can be very helpful with ideas for activities and meals. If you have a bellman help you with luggage, you'll get a wealth of free information (excluding the tip of course!). Parking is free and they had plenty of spaces while we were there during our 5 day stay. Internet is free from your room. Well, parking and internet are included in the resort fee ($26.00 or so), so it isn't really free, but take advantage of the services offered.

We were not upgraded, which several of the postings said happen to them. Nevertheless, the garden facing room was very nice. Nice sleep, except for one night that our neighbors decided to stay up late outside on the patio and talk up a storm. I was half asleep, but too tired to complain.

You can't beat the location. The torch lighting at night and dive off the cliff are a nice way to start the evening. Snorkeling at Black Rock is the best. Short drive to Lahaina for shopping and more restaurants (less than 10 minutes).

The time share presentation (which we went on) offered through the Westin/Sheraton is about 3 1/2 hours, so don't be fooled by the "90 minute" timeframe. While not a real hard sell, you will be there for a while, but I did find it interesting.

Overall, a great location and I'd certainly return to this hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
Aloha HOnestABE18 and mahalo for taking the time to share your experiences. It is great you thought our housekeeping staff was obviously part of a team. We strive to create a positive environment among our staff which will translate to our guests and it is wonderful to hear that you picked that up. I hope that you do return and visit us again. Aloha!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

This place is amazing and has plenty for kids of all ages! The rooms are amazing with spectacular views. The beach is beautiful and private with the best snorkeling on Maui. Lahaina is just minutes away with plenty of shopping and dining, but you can walk just two properties down the beach to the Whaler's Village for the best shopping and dining! Fantastic seafood. This property is so clean and the spa is to die for! My husband and I have been to this property twice in the last five yeras and we just got back from spending the week with our whole family. Our daughter is 9 and we could not get her out of the surf and the pool. My nieces are 16 and 19 and they had a blast shopping and paddle boarding. Great family place!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha threekars. Thank you so much for your continued visits to the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to bring your whole family to stay with us. I hope that we will see you again for a third visit!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

We loved this resort and plan to go back. Had two connecting rooms for our family of five. The location is excellent with access to Black Rock, boardwalk, Whaler's Village shops and restaurants, golf courses on foot and Lahaina by shuttle or car. Little foot-traffic across the beach since it dead-ends at Black Rock. Never too crowded (over Christmas time!) and no problems finding chairs at the pool. Lovely resort and a perfect size for having activity options without being a mega-resort. Lots of families and newlyweds but not overrun with young children. Rooms were a generous size, updated and very clean with fabulous views over the pool and ocean. We were given a room upgrade to ocean view which was much appreciated. Beautifully landscaped and well-tended. Rooms were immaculate after cleaning. One issue with parkiing card not working and desk staff were unhelpful to our son (early 20's)- they could have easily resolved ID issues by calling up to the room. Otherwise, staff were friendly, professional and helpful. Room has small fridge and microwaves were available at front desk (we did not get so not sure if there is a charge)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kdoyle196
Aloha kdoyle196! Thank you very much for your visit, and your positive review. I am very glad that you and your family enjoyed our property!
butler, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

On my first trip to Maui with friends (20 years ago) we stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. I always said that on my next visit to Maui, I was going to stay at the Sheraton Kaanapali.

Well, this was my second trip to Maui and my husband's first trip. It was also his 50th birthday gift from me. I was so excited to book the Sheraton (I had booked a room with a partial ocean view) and couldn't wait to arrive!

We were here for Christmas week and arrived very late in the evening on Christmas Eve. Upon entering the hotel, it was everything I dreamed it would be and more! My husband was very impressed with the lobby and grounds. The staff were very nice and couldn't be more accommodating. The front desk informed me that we were upgraded to an ocean view and I was tickled pink! On our way up to our room (which was on the 6th floor in the 3rd building), we both were excited and couldn't wait to see our upgraded room! When the bellhop opened the door and let us in, we were a bit disappointed. Yes, we were upgraded and the view was incredible, but the room was in need of some updating! The rug was worn and the furniture a little beat up. The bathroom was dated and in need of remodeling. The tub/shower was in need of new fixtures and tiles, the hairdryer the hotel supplied was a cheap Conair that was in need of a cleaning around the vents. If I had to pay for an Ocean View room, I would have been a little ticked because for the price, the room was far from the cost. The other negatives were the price of the food and a promise of a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine be awaiting us in our room at check in when I made the reservations. We had breakfast one day at a cost of $50. Nothing but eggs for my husband and pancakes for me. When I made the reservations I was told the hotel would offer us a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine in our room as it was for my husband's 50th birthday. There was nothing in our room and when I contacted the front desk the next day, they told me they would speak to the manager and it would arrive that evening. Long story short, we never got that bottle and I didn't want to make a fuss over it so I let it go. We were having too good of a time in Maui! We also figured that we were just in the room for sleeping and not to let a few "dings" get in our way!

What the hotel has going for it is the view, friendly staff, beautiful settings and the beach! If we were to visit Maui again, would I stay here, yes! Maybe by that time the hotel will remodel the rooms.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Aloha iluvpits! Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent stay. I am very glad to hear that overall you had a great stay and that the resort location and staff lived up to the expectations you have been building for 20 years! I do apologize your bottle of sparkling wine never made it to your room. That would have been a nice touch for your husband's 50th birthday and it seems we missed the opportunity! I will bring this up with our reservations staff so they can look into the incident. Your comments regarding your room have also been noted. I hope that you will come and visit us again so we can create a perfect trip for you and your husband.
Mount Vernon, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

We suspect we both got mold sickness from the AC unit in our room. We asked the maid and the front desk manager to check the AC in our room, but no one ever did!

My husband has been very ill for several weeks now. He has been to the ER twice lately for severe shortness of breath.

The hotel manager denied this has been a problem, but our research showed that airborne mold sickness has been a real problem both in Oahu and Maui.

We both were so sick, we were barely able to get back home!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tropic53
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Aloha Tropic35. Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback and am very sorry to hear about your illnesses. I encourage you to contact our Guest Services team directly by calling 808-661-0031 so that we may look into your situation.
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

amazing place.. it is really cool to come home and find a picture of the resort you stayed at on the cover of a calendar of beautiful places!!! if you go make sure you say hi to "V. W."

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha & mahalo for your positive review of your recent stay! We do have a beautiful location, so it is very exciting to hear that a photographer deemed it calendar-worthy. We will tell the turtles you said "hi".