“Be sure to bring your ear plugs...”
Review of Lahaina Inn

Lahaina Inn
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
San Francisco, California
“Be sure to bring your ear plugs...”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I really want to like this hotel as it is in one of the oldest still-standing buildings in Lahaina Bay. But the first thing to hit you when entering the lobby is a strong dank musty odor, similar to old used gym socks. There is no elevator and one has to lug their luggage up the stairs. Parking is $15 extra and 3 blocks away. We upgraded to the "junior suite", which looks as though it has been renovated with new paint and updated bathroom fixtures. The worst of the experience is the noise. It started at 8:30pm when we returned to dinner to hear a couple down the hall screaming at each other. This was to go on again from 12:00am til 3:30am. They were periodically drowned out by the Mexican band that played until midnight. Lastly came the powered leaf blower that started in the parking lot right below our window at 5:45am on a Sunday morning! We will not return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carolynn S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
El Paso, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was pretty excited to stay at the Lahaina Inn when my trip was booked to Maui. Like everyone says, the location is great! I could walk just about everywhere I needed to go, including the two blocks to my car for the hotel parking. Ugh...
I arrived about 7:30 pm, not realizing the lobby closes at 7, so I called the number posted on the door and waited 20 minutes until someone could arrive to let me in. The place looks historic for sure, and cozy, and it does have a certain charm. My room was tiny. As in, tiny. Bathroom had a stand up shower, no tub, and faucet that dripped so loudly I had to shut the door to the bathroom at night because it kept me up! I mentioned something to the girl at the desk and she said, "Yeah, we keep trying to fix it, but it keeps breaking." No offer for another room or anything.
The sound of the trash trucks emptying the dumpster at 6:00 am was all the alarm I needed to get a fresh start on my day. Oh, and one night I had no hot water.

Bed was comfy, staff seemed nice and the location is great if you don't mind sleeping above Maui's nightlife. But the microscopic rooms, faulty plumbing and sticky floors will have me looking for a new place to stay next time I come to Lahaina.

Room Tip: Opt for a room that faces the main street and not the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Dan D

Travellers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel was in a great location, as mentioned... But, there were too many inconveniences to mention. Luckily, I only had to endure one evening there. If you got back to the hotel after 7pm, which I did, the entrance door is locked and you need the passcode to get in.. I was fortunate that I threw that tiny little piece of paper into my wallet when I checked in, or I'd still be standing out front, frustrated..

That was only the beginning. After spending the entire day out on the water, I arrived back at the hotel after 7pm, cold, salty and hungry. I was hoping to have a warm, comfortable place in which to spend my one night in Lahaina. Instead, I couldn't get the air conditioning to turn off. I was wet and freezing (yes, even in Lahaina). Then to my horror, there was NO HOT WATER. Not a drop of any kind of warmth to be had. A cold room, a cold shower. Not a happy camper. I spent the night on the most uncomfortable bed, to be awakened by cockroaches in bed with me!! Yikes.. double yikes, triple yikes. They close the front desk down after 7pm, and there is no one to attend to your complaints or concerns. When calling the main hotel, they have an attitude that seemed to say 'well, you wanted to stay in a cheap hotel, what did you expect?' And yes, the floors were so sticky and gross, the last thing I wanted to do was hang out in the room, feeling as dirty as when I was out on the raft a few hours earlier. The parking is a block away, and you have to carry your luggage that far, and then up several flights of stairs to get to your room. There is no elevator. In the morning, when I went downstairs to inquire about the lack of hot water, they said, oh yeah... we have solar heated water and it only goes so far.... WTH, I'll say it again..... Had I known, I could have showered out on the beach, it would have been cleaner and warmer, and probably more inviting. I didn't think the price for the room was that inexpensive. Especially when considering I barely slept and just wanted a simple shower, a warm, clean shower. That would have made me happy. They barely apologized for the inconvenience, and then comped my $15 parking, expecting that to make up for a night of misery... wow, buddy can you spare a dime? If those issues aren't important to you, then by all means, have a go at staying here. I just think for the price, there are better options. BTW, there isn't a chair or any other place to even sit down in the room.. beds only and a small dresser.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank J A
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My boyfriend and stayed here for one night. It is a pretty interesing place to stay and has a lot of history. The hotel is exactly what we imagine the Eagles' song Hotel California would be. I was waiting to see a ghost... anyways, great location!!! Right in the heart of downtown Lahaina. You could walk to all the shops and restaurants right there. There are no elevators, so we had to lug our bags up to the room. The room was prety small and there really isn't much privacy. The patio was in the back near the parking lot and very early in the morning, its very noisy with tash trucks and gardeners. The hardwood floor was super sticky and we did NOT like walking around barefoot. We kept our flip flops on at all times except for in bed. Still at times, we thought our feet were going to slip out of flip flops because they just wanted to stick to the floor. Overall, it was okay. We would stay again if we had to for a couple days, but would rather try other hotels in the aea.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Courtney C
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Yes, the location was convenient and easy, but the next trip I will find another accomodation. There were little ants all over the chest of drawers, the wood floors appeared not to have been cleaned or buffed in years, the bathroom could have been better maintained and cleaned, the shower molding around the glass was falling out, the bathroom shelf between the mirror and sink was shifty and ditched items into the sink if set off balance. Supposedly the Royal Lahaina Resort either owns or is affiliated with this place. The inn has boutique qualities, but these little nuances bring it down. 2 of 3 staff encountered were awesome and helpful, the other was not wanting to be there and showed it, which was odd, because the front desk attendent hours were very limited for this establishment. The inn has great potential, it just needs more care and attention.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MAR_INTL
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed two nights at the Lahaina Inn at the tail in of our stay on Maui. This property has lots of character and is centrally located in downtown Lahaina.

The check in process was painfully slow for reasons I could not comprehend. There is a charge for parking and the parking lot is located a short walk down from the hotel. They still use real room keys and tell you that its a $100.00 charge if you lose it!

Finding parking near the hotel can be challenging. The rooms are located upstairs from the lobby, and there is no elevator. This makes for a good workout if you have heavy bags! The rooms are tiny but clean. This is a very old property and the decor reflects that. The beds are not Starwood or Marriott class, but better than expected. Our room had a covered balcony overlooking the street and had a view of the ocean to the right. This allowed us to see and hear the evening sounds of downtown Lahaina which are abundant.

The room is not the quitest, the walls are thin, and we were awakened by the sounds of garbage and delivery trucks each morning. The rooms are well air conditioned, and the fans make white noise cancelling out some of the exterior noise of downtown. There are few amenities, but staying at this property is about location, location, location. The famous Lahaina Grill restaurant is located on the first floor.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the Hotel if you are looking for street action. The rooms at the back loo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BruceS911
Reviewed 10 February 2013

It's in a perfect location. Well worth the price. I loved the real keys you get and the porch rocking chairs. Best part is, we paid a 1/4 of the price as their sister resort goers and got use all of the same amenities!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Maui Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Kahului
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger

Been to Lahaina Inn? Share your experiences!