“Lovely stay at the Hololani 4-18 thru 4-27” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hololani Resort

Hololani Resort
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Michigan
“Lovely stay at the Hololani 4-18 thru 4-27”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2007

We stayed in unit A-601 which we rented through VRBO. It was a beautiful unit and well-maintained with many updates. Our view of the ocean was wonderful, and we saw quite a few whales.

As another person mentioned, part of the pool deck is under construction - the result of a nasty storm last winter. However, this wasn't an inconvenience at all. There was still plenty of room.

Kahana beach is not a great beach when compared to the many other beaches on Maui. However, you can swim there, and there were a few snorkelers, though I doubt they saw much. There is not enough beach to lay out on, but we always drove to other beaches anyway. Not a big deal.

While we rented directly through the condo owner, I wouldn't hesitate to rent through Hololani management. From what we could tell, they do their best to keep the property well-maintained and clean. Our interactions with staff were always pleasant. These condos are nice, clean, quiet, and have a great view! I would definitely rent there again.

• Liked — The ocean view and good price
  • Disliked — The elevator - those doors close really fast!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank MrsAgent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hamilton,Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2007

We stayed at the Hololani Resort from March 29 through April 5. We had a wonderful stay. It is right on the water and great views from the lanai. We stayed in unit A-702. The unit istself was clean and comfortable. It could use some updating, but nothing that is absolutely necessary. Part of the pool deck was closed due to work being done on it. The pool itself was open and there was room for lounging around the pool. The only inconvenience was accessing the beach. Instead of being able to walk through the pool area, we had to walk around it. There are three barbeques that are available for the guest. The pool and the barbeques were cleaned every morning. The unit does not air conditioning, which wasn’t a problem because of the ceiling fans and the trade winds. The worst night was our first because it was closed up before we arrived. Beach towels were provided. The unit was well equipped. Parking was great and it was a short walk to a small general store, McDonalds, Outback Steakhouse, Maui Brewing and another restaurant whose name escapes me. The beach isn’t that great or large, but was walk able. We did swim a little in it, but there were many rocks in the surf. Our favorite part was the view! We had beautiful sunsets between Lanai and Molokai every night. We also saw many whales from the lanai. This is a wonderful place to stay and would stay there again.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank khut
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2007

My sister is at the Hololani now and is pleased with their ground floor accomodations. I just wanted to let everybody know that if anybody is planning a vacation in the immediate future, that the oceanfront is all torn up. We stayed next door at the Pohailani and up to when we left on Feb 19 it was still quite a mess at the Hololani. The grounds on the ocean side were all torn up, grass removed, pool under renovation, and rocks in front of the property. This doesn't affect your view if you are high up, but it didn't look so nice from the ground. My sister lost half her lawn space in front of her lanai. Make sure you ask the condo owner when this will be fixed if this matters to you. Otherwise, it's a great spot and the beach is much better than people say it is. Lots of sand and no seaweed. Quite a few big rocks right in front of Hololani but we walked passed them and sat in front of the Valley Isle, right next door.

Stayed February 2007
10 Thank orangelollypops
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2007

I stayed in B403 for a week in January. I knew the property was an older condominium (perhaps built in the 70s) but had read positive reviews and spoke with Hololani staff before booking. The first impression from the exterior is somewhat of a concern, in that it does look dated and is unimpressive from the front (you enter into an underground parking lot to an assigned spot). The elevators looked old and not very appealing. Note that by the elevators there are luggage carts and a grocery cart, so getting the luggage upstairs wasn't a problem.

When I arrived, my suite was unlocked, drapes open, TV on and lights as well, with a stunning ocean view. There was a supply of dishwasher detergent, one box of laundry detergent, paper towel, etc. There was a washer/dryer (old) but new appliances. The B building suites are in the shade most if not all of the day. This was perfect for me since the Hololani has no air conditioning. The trade winds, and in suite ceiling fans kept the unit cool but the A building units seemed to have full sun all day. Because of the angle of the building you could not see the sun at sunsets straight on, but would from units in the A building.

The grounds are well maintained and the pool area is nice, but quite small. BBQs are nice and worked well (there are 3), though mats installed in front of them were slippery. Lanai's are spacious - mine with a table and chairs and one lounge chair (only wish there were chair pads). The unit I stayed in was extremely clean, with two full bathrooms. Again, not brand new decor, but very clean and tasteful and Hawaiin - with plenty of reference material and local info. The master bedroom has ocean views but the second bedroom with two twin beds face the outside corridor which looks out onto another condo (I stayed there for 3 days - Royal Kahana a few days later...no comparison - Hololani was better). There is not a lot of shade by the pool if that is of concern. You are right on the ocean but it has virtually no beach and is not good for swimming. There are always a mix of people, I found that since the area was small, when there were a few kids in the pool it did get loud but nothing that wouldn't allow you to enjoy the sun and ocean. Don't go there expecting to spend time in the ocean at that location; it really isn't good for that, which is true in my view, for the Kahana area as a whole. There are nice beaches (Napili Bay, Kaanapali), but all are a 5-15 minute drive away, and parking can be tough.

There is a new plaza just around the corner. It has McDonalds, an Outback Steak House, gift shops, a couple of other restaurants - Maui Dive Shop, etc. There is also a gas station and convenience store that has most staples. Better to buy groceries in Lahaina at the Safeway (Lahaina Cannery Mall) and join the club (free) to get reduced prices on groceries (worth it because the prices for some things are just not wort it otherwise). I think the club must be used to track who shops there. Also, stop by the Costco / Walmart and Kmart all near the airport if you want to stock up. Internet access is available in that same plaza, at the coffee shop. The front desk person who was very nice, wasn't aware and sent me to Napili. For those with young children, note that the Hololani is on a patch of rough road that has minimal lighting at night and no sidewalk.

There is no housekeeping unless you stay over a week, and of course you pay a cleaning fee. They certainly ensure it is clean and I think beach towels for each guest (up to standard occupancy - 4 per condo) are provided.

They take pride in their property and asked that an evaluation form be completed after our stay.

I also stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club and really enjoyed being right on Kaanapali ocean, which was in my view, the nicest beach (though the most commercial since condos and hotels front it).

You can't really enjoy Maui without a rental car. There are times when I wished I had rented an SUV, mostly because some of the turnoffs were bumpy and a bit rough on a normal car. But you won't want a big car on the windy and narrow drive to Hana and in some parts of north Maui.

In summary, Hololani owners and the staff they employ really want to make the stay special, and maintain their units, and the grounds to meet high standards. The Hololani is reasonably priced accommodation and a good bargain. You are sure to enjoy your stay if the weather cooperates.

• Liked — Large units, ocean front location.
  • Disliked — Great view of ocean, but not good for swimming.
  • Stayed January 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
27 Thank Tdotontario
Ritzville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2007

Our family of five spent Christmas 2006 here and loved it. The pool was warm and lovely. The barbecue area was always clean and nicely kept. We always saw the maintenance man around cleaning and the grounds were well kept. Wow - the ocean waves were sooooo loud at night we had to keep the door sliding door closed. We stayed in unit A502 and rented directly from the owner on the [-] website and saved some money renting directly from him. Our older kids could have used a gym and we could have rented from the Valley Isle gym next door but decided to use the great outdoors instead and save some money. I would highly recommend staying here and renting our unit to save some money. Why am I sharing this because now my unit might not be available! The lady at the front desk was so helpful with places to eat. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no hot tub
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank Lynn G
Eau Claire, Wis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2006

Comfortable accomodations for 4 -6 adults. The manager was very friendly and helpful. The pool area was very nice and a great place to relax after our daily activities. Our room was on the 7th floor, each apartment overlooks the ocean beach and the island of Molokai-a picture post-card scene every day.
Three gas grills poolside, so meals were convenient to prepare.

• Liked — Beach location and pool
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
7 Thank perrotcamper
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2006

We just returned from a 10 day stay in Maui at the Hololani. We stayed in unit A203 and it was wonderful.

The staff is very friendly and easy to work with. The condo was ready when we arrived and felt like home. We had four adults staying in the one unit and did not feel crowded in the least. There was plenty of room to hang our clothes and lots of drawer space. The kitchen was fully equipped and had dishwasher detergent, dish soap, towels, aluminum foil, cookware, you name it! There was also a coffee grinder. We bought ground coffee at Costco, but if we get to go again, I'll remember this so we can grind our own. The condo also came with beach towels, had I known this I would not have packed my own, but they are there (at least in this unit) if you need them.

The grounds were nicely maintained. The staff cleans the pool and the pool area every morning, and the grills are cleaned daily as well. We ate out for the majority of the trip, but we saw other residents using them and the pool area has tables so you can dine al fresco.

The units are not air conditioned!!! This was not a problem for us as the trade winds and the fans in the condo kept us cool enough that we really barely noticed. However, I know this can be an issue for some people so please be aware that none of the condos have a/c at this time.

The beach is really not a good swimming beach, but great for taking a stroll. There was a lot of high surf for the majority of our trip (this affected all beach areas, not just the area where Hololani is located), but the water is a little rough and the water area is pretty rocky (under the water). The pool was lovely for swimming and relaxing when we weren't out exploring. They do like for the pool area to be relatively quiet, so you may want to keep this in mind if you feel like partying it up!

The condos are located in a very convenient area and I think look to be nicer than some of the other condos in the same location. It is right around the corner from some very good restaurants, including a brew house & rotisserie that makes nice local microbrews. It is a short drive to both Kapalua and Lahaina as well. We loved that the location was so convenient and still felt secluded.

We had a very late flight off of the island (11 pm!) and asked to be allowed to stay in the unit past our check out time. The staff was very accommodating and had no problem letting us check out later. If you need to do this, it is nice to check in advance to make sure no one is checking into your unit right after you leave.

The views are really unmatched in this complex. I stayed in a hotel on my first visit to Maui and to get the view we had at the Hololani, we would have to pay about a thousand bucks a night. In this unit, we were literally less than a hundred yards from the beach. I can only imagine what it is like during the winter when the whales come. It's just breathtaking, and you can see both Lanai and Molokai. Unreal.

There were only two things that bothered us a bit during our stay: 1) they started working on the outside of the pool area during our last few days, and we saw a few nails on the walkway on the way out of the pool. Not good for bare feet or flimsy flip-flops! and 2) the sound of the ocean. I know that sounds like a ridiculous complaint, but the surf is LOUD. It's not an issue during the day, but if you are a light sleeper, it can wreak havoc on you, and it did for me. I did not sleep through the night once in the whole 10 days we stayed. We finally got desparate and closed our sliders one night but got too hot and had to reopen them. It was not enough that I would not stay here again, because I certainly would, but I will bring some sort of sleeping pill with me next time!

I would recommend that anyone stay here! Mahalo Hololani!

• Liked — The amazing view!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends