“Did not feel safe here...”
Review of Camp Olowalu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lahaina
Camp Olowalu
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This was my first camp site once I reached the island. I am a single woman who wanted to see this island in a unique way. This Camp reminded me of a place where old soldiers or drug destroyed men who otherwise would be homeless hang out. Most tents there had been there a very long time (months to years), some even had a "garage/storage" tent set-up. These guys are here to stay. The rent/mo is cheap there ($300-320). The campsites were right up near the beach which was nice, and the man next to me was nice enough to warn me about the painful sting of the caterpillars, thorns on the trees, etc. I do think as some of the other reviews that the campsites need to be freshened up, the fallen trees are definately seen in other parts of Maui, it just needs a bit of attention (limbs, etc) - it is rather dusty too.

Will I stay here again? No, I won't. I would rather pitch my tent on a more open beach or drive to Hana and stay at Wainapanapa State Park where it is impeccable!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Laurel D

Reviewed 25 September 2011

A combination of US and international travelers and homeless people on Maui.

The campground could be cleaner and better configured, but I have to admit that it was one of the quietest campgrounds (at night) I have ever stayed at. I also liked the fact that no one was burning (or trying to burn) open campfires -- so you could enjoy the good air quality. You can also hear the waves breaking at night.

I think my nerves were steady in regards to staying in a semi-homeless encampment, but I could easily see how many people would feel uncomfortable in that type of situation. In the defense of the "permanent" residents there, they seemed fairly mellow and not overly friendly or unfriendly.

I played it safe and put everything inside my tent in my rental car when I left for the day (I just left my tent there during the day -- nothing else).

Suggestion to owners: have a max stay limit (2 weeks to a month). Maybe clean up the campground and the grounds around it a bit.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank d d
Reviewed 26 July 2011

A perfect place to stay right on the beach in beautiful Olowalu Maui for very cheap. Tent camping or cabins are available. Beautiful coral reef right out front great for kayaks and snorkeling and stand up. All are here for rent for a good price as well.

I am a little confused by all the previous negative reviews, we have expereinced nothing but good. Come check it out for yourselves! One of our favorite places on Earth...We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank SunnnyDays
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The campsite is dusty and dirty. Camping are is full of fallen trees and broken branches. Mobile restrooms were nearly full of excrements. Showers are very primitive. Manager is not very friendly and polite. Wireless internet connection is available only in a proximity of the "office". There is no place to put notebook and connect it to AC if a dirty table normally used as work table is not accepted. Campers are not admited to the cabin area where are tables present. Not respecting it causes shower from irrigation system switched on personally by manager. It seems that the manager takes some care for cabins but campers are intruders for him. Homeless people are present but i do not consider it to be main problem of this camp. I have to admit that position of the camping is very useful and no other camping is in a proximity.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jan2616
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Camp Olowalu has a website with reservations - which do NOT work. Don't count on having a spot after using their website. The campground was just OK. It felt dusty and dirty, but it was quiet and the beach location was beautiful. We noticed that several campers were there for a long stretch and they seemed pretty happy with the modest accommodations. Don't expect to take a nice hot bug-free shower, or use a decent restroom and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trout99
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Really cool, hidden gem, perfect for camping, you can also rent little cabanas right on the beach, very simple though, only cots to sleep on, if you are a cleanliness freak you will not appreciate, it is only one step up from tent camping, but the spot is great, right on the beach, good people around, mellow, relax, quiet, absolutely charming if you like simple. If you are a hotel queen, forget it. They rent kayaks, surf and stand up boards (no surf break there, but ok to stand up paddle). Loved it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Aloha,

We are residents here on Maui. We are relatively new residents to the island, although we do have experience on the island from vacationing for years here. We had never heard anything good or bad about this place and we got the itch to go camping. So we went to check it out. As you pull up there is a cute little sign and at the office and front area looked normal. So we decided to give it a shot. The tent sites are all the way in the back of the property and heavily wooded. When you first walk back there it smells a little funny, but nothing you will run from. When you really look around is when it should hit you that you are one of few part timers their!! Oh yes this place should be called Olowalu homeless shelter. I am not kidding some of these folks have furniture in their tents. So here’s how it went down creepy, creepy, weed smoke smell from the residents, and more creepiness. So next time you’re driving around in Maui and you see a “Bum” asking for money it is probably to pay his site fee at Olowalu, and to get some weed!! Oh yes and then two of the permanent residents decided to hook up in the middle of the night about 2:45 a.m., yeah I was still awake to creped out to go to sleep. I am not kidding please especially if you have kids DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

OMG almost forgot about the creepiest thing and most scary part of the night!!! While at the shower area after Dark we were washing out feet off before entering our tent, and we looked down at the ground with our flash light and all you could see were thousands of cockroaches. But most important was I killed a scorpion YES I did say a scorpion!!! I don’t know if they are common here in Maui but I don’t think they are.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank davebdcb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Camp Olowalu? Share your experiences!