We rented a 2 BR Oceanview room through Harris Hawaii. Brooke Moore was fantastic and very easy to work with. The room was exceptional with a separate bedroom and bathroom for the kids (ages 7 and 9) and they even broke the bed into two twins so the kids didn't have to share a king. It has a wonderful kitchen with everything you could need, washer and dryer and, in general, high end furnishings. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in away from home. The lanai was huge and the wall of windows that you could open up was a very nice touch. The entire property was very well maintained and beautiful.
A few pointers we learned that may be helpful to some others:
1. This is a great family resort. If you are looking for a quiet couples resort, there may be other that are better. It is also very new. The Konea Tower (Which we stayed in) just opened last year and the other tower opened in 2009 so everything is pretty new.
2. The pools are fantastic, water slide, lots of hot tubs, waterfalls and free form pools. I did not see any that were explicitly only for adults. They also do not have lifegaurds, so the rules are loosely enforced but we saw no disarrary during our time there.
3. Food and drink service by the pool during our stay was excellent. Happy Hour from 3-5 was one of our favorite things - $5 Mai tais and drink specials as well as appetizer specials. As with anywhere, the level of service is probably impacted by how friendly you are or how well you tip if you have a couple wait staff waiting on 300 people.
4. The Beach is great and very close as is the reef. You can literally see exactly where the reef starts and it is close to the shore. Swimming is better just to the south area of the resort. If you are an idiot and go walking out on to the reef with bare feet you will definitely get hurt. Having said that, the snorkeling is fantastic, especially in the morning. We saw tons of different fish, see turtles, and all sorts of life just a few yards away from the sand. The beach was also not crowded. The resort will set up chairs and umbrellas for you if you want, but we never used this.
5. We did the Royal Lahina Luau which was a nice walk down the beach walk to the Royal Lahaina Resort. There are some bad reviews on this but we found it to be fantastic. Again, if you want a romantic luau with table service this might not be your choice. For a family with kids, it was incredibly good. Hint - buy your tickets on the Royal Lahaina website - you get VIP table and free blender drinks all night and most importantly do not have to wait in line for about the same price as the tour operators will charge.
6. Pizza Paradiso across the street had fantastic pizza, Moose Mcgillicudy's in Lahaina had great breakfast. Very nice dinner and atmosphere at the Hula Grill in Whaler's village. Betty's Beach house in Lahaina has a beautiful sunset on one side, sports bar in te other direction and front row seats to a luau that you can watch for free directly in front of you starting around 7 if you want to (Get a table around 6:15 or 6:30). Ululani's shave ice was our favorite and we tried a few.
7. Road to Hana is not difficult and fun, especially if you explore some of the trails and swim in the waterfalls. Leave early in the day.
8. Haleakala was cool, we didn't do it at sunrise. Waited until 9:30 to leave the resort and avoided the crowds.
9. The coffe at the Aina coffee shop in the resort is exceptional.
10. Duke's restaurant at the hotel is quite good. Make sure you get the hula pie.
11. If you rent form a owner or property manager, you get a slightly different experience than renting as a hotel room through the resort (no daily housekeeping, free towels at the pool or room charging), however, we got garage parking directly under our unit and a huge cost savings as a result. We also got a closet full of beach toys.
Honua Kai proved to be a great home base for a wonderful family vacation and we wouldn't hesitate to come back or to rent from Harris Hawaii and Brooke Moore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on world-famous Kaanapali North Beach, Honua Kai provides an unparalleled level of service and all the amenities of a luxury resort with expansive one, two, and three bedroom suites. Perhaps the greatest luxury of all is simply the space to spread out. Inside, the feel is that of a luxury Maui vacation home, graciously furnished in exotic wood and polished granite, and tastefully equipped with top of the line appliances. The gourmet kitchens contain everything you need to make a fantastic meal. Or simply make reservations at one of our spectacular restaurants. This is the Hawaii vacation you have always imagined, exactly as you imagined it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Honua Kai Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honua Kai Resort And Spa
- Honua Kai Hotel Lahaina
- Honua Kai Resort & Spa Maui/Lahaina