“Wonderful Family Resort with great amenities”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We rented a 2 BR Oceanview room through Harris Hawaii. Brooke Moore was fantastic and very easy to work with. The room was exceptional with a separate bedroom and bathroom for the kids (ages 7 and 9) and they even broke the bed into two twins so the kids didn't have to share a king. It has a wonderful kitchen with everything you could need, washer and dryer and, in general, high end furnishings. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in away from home. The lanai was huge and the wall of windows that you could open up was a very nice touch. The entire property was very well maintained and beautiful.

A few pointers we learned that may be helpful to some others:
1. This is a great family resort. If you are looking for a quiet couples resort, there may be other that are better. It is also very new. The Konea Tower (Which we stayed in) just opened last year and the other tower opened in 2009 so everything is pretty new.
2. The pools are fantastic, water slide, lots of hot tubs, waterfalls and free form pools. I did not see any that were explicitly only for adults. They also do not have lifegaurds, so the rules are loosely enforced but we saw no disarrary during our time there.
3. Food and drink service by the pool during our stay was excellent. Happy Hour from 3-5 was one of our favorite things - $5 Mai tais and drink specials as well as appetizer specials. As with anywhere, the level of service is probably impacted by how friendly you are or how well you tip if you have a couple wait staff waiting on 300 people.
4. The Beach is great and very close as is the reef. You can literally see exactly where the reef starts and it is close to the shore. Swimming is better just to the south area of the resort. If you are an idiot and go walking out on to the reef with bare feet you will definitely get hurt. Having said that, the snorkeling is fantastic, especially in the morning. We saw tons of different fish, see turtles, and all sorts of life just a few yards away from the sand. The beach was also not crowded. The resort will set up chairs and umbrellas for you if you want, but we never used this.
5. We did the Royal Lahina Luau which was a nice walk down the beach walk to the Royal Lahaina Resort. There are some bad reviews on this but we found it to be fantastic. Again, if you want a romantic luau with table service this might not be your choice. For a family with kids, it was incredibly good. Hint - buy your tickets on the Royal Lahaina website - you get VIP table and free blender drinks all night and most importantly do not have to wait in line for about the same price as the tour operators will charge.
6. Pizza Paradiso across the street had fantastic pizza, Moose Mcgillicudy's in Lahaina had great breakfast. Very nice dinner and atmosphere at the Hula Grill in Whaler's village. Betty's Beach house in Lahaina has a beautiful sunset on one side, sports bar in te other direction and front row seats to a luau that you can watch for free directly in front of you starting around 7 if you want to (Get a table around 6:15 or 6:30). Ululani's shave ice was our favorite and we tried a few.
7. Road to Hana is not difficult and fun, especially if you explore some of the trails and swim in the waterfalls. Leave early in the day.
8. Haleakala was cool, we didn't do it at sunrise. Waited until 9:30 to leave the resort and avoided the crowds.
9. The coffe at the Aina coffee shop in the resort is exceptional.
10. Duke's restaurant at the hotel is quite good. Make sure you get the hula pie.
11. If you rent form a owner or property manager, you get a slightly different experience than renting as a hotel room through the resort (no daily housekeeping, free towels at the pool or room charging), however, we got garage parking directly under our unit and a huge cost savings as a result. We also got a closet full of beach toys.

Honua Kai proved to be a great home base for a wonderful family vacation and we wouldn't hesitate to come back or to rent from Harris Hawaii and Brooke Moore.

6  Thank TexasTX_Travelers
Write a ReviewReviews (3,221)

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Read previouse reviews as you should but please take with a grain of salt. This resort is absolutely top notch! The accomodations were excellent, the staff ultimately accomadating, and overall value exceeded expectations - check for deals during certain times and 7th day free. Dukes - great food and great people. Cost is comprable to Big City meals and quality is equal.

Stayed in a mountain view on 7th floor - great. Really did not see need for ocean view as by the time we were in the room it was dark.

I normally do not take the time to write reviews but felt compelled as our families experience was just that great. Oh, I agree with one con - there is no spa. But, go elsewhere for that if you really need it - this place is, as my son put it ,"Beastly!".

Room Tip: Ask for highest level floor
1  Thank Benw2011
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We just returned from 4 weeks in Hawaii, the last 2 in Maui at the Honua Kai. The resort itself is very nice, very clean, and the room was perfect and spacious (we had a 1 bedroom plus den, so each of my 2 kids had their own bed, and we had a king in the bedroom) I have no complaints about the resort or the service. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the valet, to the bell service, to the concierge, were very friendly and helpful (although housekeeping was a bit inconsistent). But whoever decided to build this resort right where the valley funnels the trade winds down the mountain directly into it should be fired. I'm not talking gentle summer breezes, which would have been welcome, but most days it was so gusty that nothing stayed put--not your beach towels, not your food/drinks, and not even the pool chairs! We spent 12 full days here and it was always windy, which became very annoying, especially when a 5 minute walk down the beach and there was NO wind. We left the resort most nights and went to Lahaina to enjoy the beautiful, calm, warm nights there. We have always travelled to tropical destinations at Spring Break, and this was our first time to Hawaii in the summer. The wind did not blow like that in Honolulu, nor anywhere on the Big Island (we were at Hilo and Kona), nor anywhere else in Maui for that matter (we drove to Hana) When we inquired about it at the resort, we were told "That's the Trade Winds". It's too bad there was such bad planning to put a beautiful resort in such a bad spot. Our kids enjoyed the pools, we enjoyed the hot tubs and watching the sun set at night, but we definitely won't return in the summer. Next time we will stay closer to Lahaina where it is hot and the WIND DOESN"T BLOW.
**a note about Duke's Restaurant: if you think you are getting a deal at Happy Hour, you are not. They fill the cups with twice the ice and charge half the price. Same goes for the Happy Hour food menu, much smaller portions. $9 for a cocktail in a plastic cup full of ice at the pool is too high, but I guess that's Maui.

2  Thank travlfamly
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a lovely property w/ lovely big rooms w/ ktichen and washer/dryer. Perfect if you have little children. The grounds are well manicured, lobby well maintened and there's a grocery store across the street. The beach is right here and snorkling is just a short walk away. This is the absolute perfect place for those with children under 8 or elderly parents or both. I wish this place existed when my kids were small.

However, now that they're older this place is just slightly less appealing. (again the rooms are still big and beautiful). The place was filled w/ little ones running around so sitting around the pool was not relaxing. There are no water activites (surfing, canoeing, stand up paddling) on the property so you have to shift to another resort.

Also, this is mostly time share, condo owned so i often felt that we were not part of the resort. sort of hanging around and nobody knew whether we belonged or not. (i.e. don't bother asking the front desk for anything if you rented from the owner. they can't/won't help you like a normal hotel would). There might have been poolside drinks/food service, but we never saw anyone come by like at other resorts.

FYI, it's the Honua Kai Resort and Spa, but there's no spa, yet.

It's very windy here, which we didn't mind, but others might. i.e our food blew away, our umbrella blew away, our books blew away...

This place is comfortable, clean and big, but if you like to do and see things or you want quiet, then you might like someplace else. I'd stay here again just for the washer/dryer.

1  Thank moragalisa
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed in unit #622 for 9 wonderful days. From the moment we walked into the condo we immediately felt "at home." The unit was spotless and included high end linens, towels and very comfortable King beds. Everything you would find in a luxurious hotel, but with a lot more space and a smaller price tag!

Also included in the condo was just about everything we needed for a great day at the beach including chairs, boogie board and cooler. Unit #622 was so well equipped, the only thing we needed to buy was groceries--which was conveniently within walking distance!

Nikta was an absolute pleasure to work with. She repeatedly followed up with us during the booking process and throughout our stay. She even offered to help with luau tickets and
had the hotel concierge contact us for additional assistance prior to our visit! The welcome basket was also a nice, personal touch. A definite "extra" that you wouldn't find in a hotel!

The resort is a great place for families or couples looking to relax. Overall, we agree that our stay was a very good value and we would highly recommend it!

2  Thank Lisa A
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I am here (35 YR OLD MALE) now and after checking in, I am very surprised at this resort. first of all... it is mostly a time share property which means that the rooms are VERY nice and have a comfortable "homey" feel. I am 35 years old and I have my mother with me (of who I brought with me to spend some quality time). The staff are awesome.

OH... RENT A CAR AT THE AIR PORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!@!@!!!@!!@!@!!@!! cab ride here was 100!!!!!! Rented a brand new RED jeep for 179.99 for 7 days!!! OMG!

The "ocean view" is bull pooo! You can see the ocean, but as I write this... 60 people are watching me with my shirt off from their balconies and from my bed... all i see is 60 balconies!

The bar (Dukes Restaurant) does NOT play music during the day, so sitting there drinking a frosty beverage is just about as boring as playing bingo by yourself! There are 4 kids to every adult and when they say they have "adult pools".... BULL MESS!!!!!! The property is first class, the staff are ... first class, the food and bar are.... well done, but the truth is.... please do NOT come here looking for excitement! This hotel is, hands down the BEST place to bring your loved one for some ONE on ONE time. The views are great (not from your room), the air is clean, and the ocean is near. Bring your "best friend" and have a romantic theme in mind... and you will have a great time.

Anyone under 40 who are here with no kids..... its not just this hotel. Its Maui! Boring!

I am a retired 35 yr old who does not party or even go to clubs. I have been there and done that over 7 years ago..... This place is 100% boring unless you have a lot of 1 on 1 time with your best friend in mind, but tomorrow I am taking my mother fishing for an 8 hour marlin hunting adventure, so I will keep you posted.

Please do NOT think I am being negative. I am being honest on my experience and I wanted to give back to this website because it has given me a lot over the years.

Cheers to ALL vacationers and no matter what.... have a great time away from the daily grind of our rush rush lives!

Peace to all! I hope this helped

8  Thank houstontx1976
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I travelled to Maui on our honeymoon and have nothing but GREAT reviews of the island and of this resort. We booked the condo through Chasing Rainbows and they made our arrangements very easy. Our air didnt work (it was our fault) so we called Chasin Rainbows and within 15 minutes someone was there to fix it. Our studio condo was perfect for the 2 of us. Anymore would have needed a larger room. Everything was spotless and our view was breathtaking. The pools were perfect and we had three to choose from. The beach was nice and quiet and when we wanted something a bit more we travelled down the road to Kanapali West beaches. Dukes and the speciality store were great places to eat. All staff was polite and courteous! We cannot wait to visit this property again and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NicoleOnrario_Canada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!