“BEAUTY, COMFORT and GREAT LOCATION - LOVELY.”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Ontario, Canada
“BEAUTY, COMFORT and GREAT LOCATION - LOVELY.”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

No complaints. We stayed in a one bedroom on the first floor, gorgeous accommodations. Bed was so comfortable, kitchen very modern, washer/dryer a great benefit, lanai huge with mountain view. Perfect location - minutes from lahaina but close to golf, beach, restaurants, and a 24 hour grocery store down the street. Parking was a breeze. The beach is beautiful but not the best for swimming. The pools and hot tubs were super clean and nice to sit in at night while the ocean winds come in. The spa was still being constructed when we were there but the staff was more than helpful directing us to spas very close by. This was by far the nicest place I've stayed yet - we even snooped around other resorts in the south to compare. Honua Kai was the perfect blend of class, comfortability and convenience. I would recommend it to anyone. It's also the only Canadian owned resort on the island. We went in march while the humpback whales were in full breeding mode - the islanders called the ocean whale soup during that season. We saw the entire island in seven Days but i would recommend staying atleast ten days to have some time to do nothing. I'd go back in a heartbeat and Maui will always have a special place in my heart. Aloha and a hui hou kakou.

Room Tip: The mountain view looks over the parking lot but the mountain is beautiful too so the value is good.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jenn G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We love the Honua Kai. The rooms are immaculate and everything is brand new. The Konea tower is the newer tower but they are both excellent. We have stayed here previously. We have stayed in an ocean front 3 bedroom as well as a studio. If you get a studio above the 2nd floor you are guaranteed to have an amazing view. The three bedroom oceanfront rooms are huge inside and on the lanai. You won't be disappointed of you stay at this resort style property. The gym is great and they also offer yoga and Pilates classes mon-sat. Everything about this property is wonderful!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank DJSC007
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We went to Maui for my wife's birthday and after reading all the good reviews I decided to book the Honua Kai. I booked a roundtrip flight, hotel room and car through Travelocity. Big mistake! They offered a $100 discount off if the flight and hotel were booked through American Express, but I didn't receive it because I also booked a car. I requested airline seats, but when I checked with the airline I found that we had completely different seats in the back of the plane. Fortunately, the airline rep corrected that for us. I requested a one bedroom, one bath, partial ocean view. We arrived after dark and couldn't properly evaluate the room. We heard traffic and elevator noise throughout the night. In the morning we saw that the room was facing the opposite building and also facing the main highway. It was more of a mountain view; you could see a glimpse of the ocean only if you stood in the far corner of the lanai. I went to the front desk to request a better room. The previous night, Katie said that there was nothing else available, but that she would leave a note at the front desk advising them of our request. I met Jerome at the desk and asked if we could move to a better room. He told me that there were only two other rooms; one was on the fourth floor facing construction and the other was on the ground floor facing the courtyard. He smiled and "convinced" me to take a look at the room on the ground floor. I obliged and was totally amazed to discover that it was an true upgrade to a much larger two bedroom two bath room with a huge lanai and our own private yard surrounded with lush foliage. Take two steps into the courtyard and you had a full view of the ocean. I went back to the front desk and asked Jerome if he made a mistake since I was still in shock. He just smiled and he said "I guess you like the room!" I cannot thank Katie and Jerome enough for the upgrade!! Everything about the hotel is amazing. Fantastic room, great amenities, wonderful staff. Duke's restaurant was only a short distance away and had great drinks and food, and a wonderful ocean view. I only have a few negatives - the wi-fi reception was poor, and one day the housekeeping staff left our lanai door unlocked. We couldn't get the A/C to work, but it wasn't really necessary. It will not turn on if any of the doors are open, but it wouldn't work with all doors closed. We didn't feel it was necessary to contact maintenance, since we really didn't need it. It would be nice if they added an "adults only" pool, since kids were just about everywhere. We had some fabulous meals at Duke's, the Lanai Grill, Star Noodle, and the Pineapple Grill. Zip-lining at Pi'iholo Ranch was icing on the cake. What a wonderful place to stay!!!

5 Thank Bill M
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Honua Kai resort was an outstanding place to stay for me and my 13 friends on Maui. The rooms were outstanding - sparkling clean, beautiful, spacious, nicely appointed. I especially loved the open-air lanai; the broad glass doors opened accordion-style for a breezy, open, relaxing setting for morning coffee, afternoon cocktails, whatever. The pool area is beautiful and arranged so that privacy is enhanced, and there are areas where families seemed to congregate vs. groups of adults (which we were). There are outdoor barbecuing areas that we used with great ease and convenience. The on-site beach bar/restaurant was fun, easy, served delicious food, and even easily handled our group of 12 for dinner one night with ease and hospitality. (I also love the poolside wait staff for pool drinks!) The on-site market was lovely and offered lots of tasty treats that were healthy and local / organic (love the kale salad!). Lastly, the concierge staff was extremely helpful and always readily available to help with any activity planning. We used them many times.
Bottom line: Honua Kai was fabulous. A note, however: they do not yet have any spa services. They do have two nice gyms and offer yoga and pilates / toning classes, but I hope they add true spa services soon.
A note of advice: in case you've never been to Maui, you definitely need a car. I often travel without a car, maximizing use of local mass transit. But my group of 14 had four cars among us and we definitely needed them. Sites and "things to do" are spread out on Maui and a car was definitely necessary.

Room Tip: Our ground floor partial ocean view room was oustanding. The mountain view rooms would also be fine...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet_in_Nashville
Roseville, California
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

We just returned yesterday from a 6 night stay at the HonUa Kai resort. We used a travel agent who booked a one bedroom suite directly through the resort. We got an ocean view and couldn't have been more pleased. Our room was located on the 4th floor of the Hokulani tower and it looked exactly like the photos. I would definety recommend an ocean view and not the mountain only because if you're going to Maui you should be able to see the ocean! The room was specious and housekeeping kept everything tidy. The lanai was great and we were able to open the doors the whole way. There was even a light on the terrace so you could go outside and read in the evening. We always had clean towels and linens were changed after 3 days. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes and silverware as well as a coffeemaker and toaster. The resort staff was friendly and courteous. The grounds and pools were beautiful, but we spent our time on the beach. It was windy as most other reviewers have sad, but it didn't spoil our fun. We sat on the beach a couple of times just to watch the beautiful sunset. We didn't snorkel in front of the resort, but I saw a lot of people who I'd. Equipment cn be rented right at the pool.

There is so much to see and do on Maui. We took a snorkeling trip, took our rental and drove the road to Hana and hiked up 2 miles to the most beautiful waterfall that I've seen and even went zip lining. Right down the street is Whalers Village where there is plenty of shopping to be done as well as a couple of restaurants; the Hula Grill and Lalani's. You should also take a trip to Front Street were there are more shops and restaurants. Be prepared to spend Lots of money because it's very expensive. Gas was almost $5.00 a gallon and the food is also ridiculously priced, but since it was our vacation I didn't let it bother me. Heck, you only live once! You won't be disappointed with your stay.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank ny1st
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We just got home yesterday and honestly wish we still were there. We love the Honai Kai Resort. Beautiful accommodations including those amazing lanai doors we opened twice a day. Everyone was so nice and we loved Duke's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So beautiful in evening for sunsets. All their staff seemed very happy and worked well together. Concierge services were great. Katy & Kimee were simply wonderful and soooo helpful. A few items we wish we're better; better drinks at Duke's, music and entertainment at the pool. We did get a bit board during the day and found other places to get entertained. It still needs some fine tuning on this front, but we had an amazing time and LOVED it. We will be back. Dallas, Texas

Room Tip: Liked VRBO. Great selection and good pricing.
4 Thank BakerDesignGroup
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed for 5 nights and the staff was very courteous and helpful. Valet took some time to find at times but it was fine. Grounds were great with a lot of places to sit pools side or even better on the cooler grass areas. Having Dukes on property is a plus for sunsets and dining and very convenient for getting those poolside cocktails. Also, don't miss getting the Hula Pie at Dukes! We had the same problem with hot water but the water pressure is strong and goes through water pretty quick so don't dottle. Love the decore and amentities in the room and if you forgot anything the shop has everything from wine to coffee, sandwiches to desserts and much more with milk, eggs and other convenience items. Even enough items to cook in your room. We stopped at Costco and stocked up on wine and easy lunch and breakfast stuff as we had activities most mornings and loved having the kitchen area. It would be nice to have an adult only area but not a big deal as some have made it out to be. At night, leave your windows and doors open and enjoy the cool air. Hope others enjoy this wonderful get away hotel as much as us!

PS - No spa stuff yet.

3 Thank rjmkrieger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!