Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
3,331 results
All reviewskonea towerduke's restaurantaina marketgourmet marketbosch appliancesfull kitchensewage treatment plantocean viewthrough vrbokaanapali beach rentalsevery other daywasher and dryertimes marketquiet poolgrocery storehigh end appliancesunderground parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our room, Hokulani 634, booked through VRBO, was beautiful. It looks both north and west, and while you can't hear the ocean, the views are beautiful and it feels very large. It had plenty of towels and beach accessories - cooler, chairs, sand toys. The resort is lovely with a good beach plus three pools that my kids (age 9 and 12) loved. It's a quick walk to the beach in front of the Westin for good snorkeling. You can also walk to the grocery store and a shave ice spot across the road.

Duke's restaurant is delicious through pricey, but for such a kid-friendly resort their children's menu is terrible.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is just flat out excellent. A great place for families with kids of all ages...3 pools fit each age group and the grown-ups too. Duke's on the beach is on the property for thosr occassional adult Happy Hour cravings. The units are all new with beautiful high-end Viking kitchens and double vanity baths and walk- in showers.
If you are looking for a wonderful Hotel alternative....this is it!

2  Thank Alan K
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Let me start off by saying that I have a few things to list but there is one that is of major concern.

My wife and I were staying at the Honua Kai for 4 nights as a part of our 30th wedding anniversary trip. Before booking this place I did a lot of research to find something that was newer, CLEAN and was in in a great location. I even used TripAdvisior for their recommendations and settled on the Honua Kai.

Here's where it begins… My wife and I arrived at the Honua Kai and were given studio room 737 in the Konea building. Initially to room looked nice, view so so but acceptable. On the first two nights I noticed that I had a hard time sleeping, wheezing, coughing and I couldn't understand why because it was only happening at night. This hadn't happened before, not even during the first 7 days of our trip where we stayed at other hotels on two other islands. I just chalked it up to the fact that I was coming down with something, maybe because of the flights in between.

On the third night I awoke again coughing and stuffed up. This time I got out of bed and went over to the sink in the kitchen area to get a bottle of water thinking that it would help. When I turned on the lights I immediately noticed something moving on the countertop. It was a cockroach. I then saw a number of others scampering towards the toaster and the oven and refrigerator, one of them had a large egg sac on it. As I stepped back my wife awoke and said that there was something that had just crawled across the blankets on the bed. Wen I looked I could see another roach running across the comforter and one on the bedside table. Needless to say that this alarmed us both and we immediately called the front desk to alert them that we were leaving, this was at 3 AM in the morning.

The front desk informed me that they would move us into another room. That was not acceptable and we didn't want to stay there at all since cockroaches had already made it into the a room on the 7th floor of the building. If there in one room the chances are is that they are in many others.

When we called the front desk we were told that the manager would not be in until 8 am and that they would contact us once they arrived. in the meantime we packed up our belongings and drove to a number of hotels in Maui and eventually found one at around 8:15 AM that day in an area called Weiliea. The unfortunate part was that we hd to wait until around 3 PM to get checked in because the room was not ready. We wasted an entire day of our vacation on this and we were exhausted once the evening rolled around. Not acceptable.

At around 2:30 or so we received a call from the manager / supervisor from the Honua Kai and they apologized to us saying that this was not up to their standards, He also let us know that we would be refunded for the first two nights of our stay and that we wouldn't be charged for the other two. This was a great jester but it still doesn't explain why we even had to deal with this. We were told by a few folks at the Honua Kai that roaches are common on the islands. I can't remember if it was the person at the front desk and the bellman who told us that but there were at least two individuals that did. Common or no they DO NOT belong in a place that someone is paying for to sleep in.

Needless to say that the manager did the right thing by refunding us. Unfortunately now I have to contact AMEX to ensure that the credit goes through. Not to mention that I wouldn't be wasting time to write this review.

Oh and if you are wondering why I was coughing and wheezing, it appears that I may have an allergy to cockroaches. Now I need to go to my doctor to be sure. , (see http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/Pages/cockroach-allergies.aspx for related article). And yes the wheezing and coughing stopped the next day after we were gone from the Honua Kai.

I also mentioned that there were a few other issues…

- We arrived and had to unload our own luggage from the car even tough we used the bellman/valet services.
- We waited over 45 minutes in the rooms for our luggage to be sent up only after we had to call asking for it.
- The water pressure in the shower was poor at best.
- When in the room the view looked out into other rooms on the other side of the building. If you went to the balcony to get a better view you heard nothing but noise from the other folks on their balconies.
- The drive from the main building from the Hokulani building to the Konea building is a mess. You need to drive around the outside of their parking lot and find the entrance to the other building. It would be nice if the guests are informed before arrival as to which building they were put in. We asked for the Hokulani initially when we booked our reservation since it had the market only to find out that were we put into the other building one we arrived.

To sum it up I would have stayed here regardless of the list above BUT the cockroaches chased us out.

Would I recommend this place???? The answer is simply a big NO.

Last I would like to thank the Honua Kai for ruining a full day of our 30th anniversary celebration / vacation. Hawaii isn't a cheap place to get to or stay at, especially when you're coming from the east coast of the US.

---Mforder

Room Tip: If you still want to stay here then don't be mislead by the photo's Be sure to ask for a room that has a great view if you are paying for it. The buildings have very few rooms that are private from a balcony perspective. Most look out onto the main courtyards and yo have a view of the other balconies. Not a gray ocean view even though you are paying extra for it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Mark F
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a very expensive resort with not too much for your money
The reception give you NO help with what is happening about the resort
They want you to buy their apartments !
The kids club was closed just before we got there great when you have three kids
The room had a lot of the kitchen equipment missing
Very limited umbrella you could hire them or little beds for a $100 a day
The pool and towel shop very pushy
Some of the staff very rude
We had to pay an extra $100 for a portable cot for the baby
We didn't get a view of the water but the car park and mountains
All apartments had washing machines with was a plus
This resort is on the beach no shade but if you want to hire an umbrella that is extra
If you were in the pool longer then a hour your belonging we're removed from the deck chairs
I would not go back

Room Tip: It is a very expensive resort the water view are the best if you can Afford them
2  Thank Charmaine S
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This resort is beautiful. Lots of pools, and the beach right at the front door. Dukes is a cool little restaurant, with lots of historama for those interested in learning about the Duke, and the area. It's not cheap, but overall the resort has pretty much everything you could need..but if you want to keep costs down there's a supermarket/takeaway places right across the road to stock up.
Top tip, if you head out of the resort and turn left, about 5 minutes away there is an AWESOME little roadside truck place where they sell the tastiest taco's for ridiculously cheap prices, like $2! We went there a LOT.
Also get out and find the chicken stalls on the side of the road, they're the most delicious things on the planet.... and don't forget to try the shaved ice. Not sure why we don't have this in Australia!
If you want to be right in the mix of things, try further along the road toward Lahaina, but for a resort style holiday, this place is great.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this place!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family