Honua Kai Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$343
US$251
US$406
US$376
  • Beachfront
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$300
US$362
US$318
Official Website
US$550
US$491
US$347
Official Website
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$422
Hotels.com
US$1,093
US$1,053
US$402
Hotelpower.com
3,336 results
All reviewskonea towerduke's restaurantaina marketgourmet marketbosch appliancesfull kitchensewage treatment plantocean viewthrough vrbokaanapali beach rentalsevery other daywasher and dryertimes marketquiet poolgrocery storehigh end appliancesunderground parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2014

There is no doubt...this is a beautiful property. The rooms are well maintained and have everything you need to call it home during your stay. The location on the beach and boardwalk was perfect. We walked for about two hours every morning and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The pools are nice, although the one big pool did get a little cloudy and foamy around the edges during our stay. It might be all of the sun screen in the water but if you are a resort in Hawaii you would think you would be prepared to deal with this.

There are many kids at this resort, but unlike many who have wrote about them they weren't a issue. In most cases it's the parents trying to entertain their kids that are more loud and annoying!!

We ate at Dukes two nights for dinner and the food quality and service was top notch! We had a few drinks at the bar as well and found the bartenders to be very engaging and attentive. All in all I would highly recommend a visit.

We booked through a third party and found that you get treated like a third case citizen by the front desk staff. They need to learn to treat guests as guests...perhaps a little personality would help.

All in all though, I don't mean to come across too negative. We had a great stay and will definitely return. It's just when you pay as much as you do to stay there you expect perfection and it just wasn't there.

Aloha :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean P
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We choose this resort for the Maui portion of our honeymoon based on the positive reviews. Overall the experience was pretty good, but I think I might have chosen a different location knowing what I know now. The beach and the path along it was probably the highlight of the resort for us. The room was also pretty good, but the pools were typically pretty crowded and the staff could have been more welcoming. I've written more details below...

The facilities are nice and the bell hop/valet guys were very welcoming. The front desk was the opposite. When I made the reservation I put in a request for a specific building and a preferred floor/side. When I arrived I was in the opposite building and on a different side. Not a huge deal, but not the best way to start off the experience. Other times when I stopped by the front desk they seemed annoyed and overall weren't as friendly as the valet guys. I think this might be in part because this place also has units for sale for ownership. This results in a lot of units being rented out for vacations by the owners and the front desk has to act as the resort police asking everyone what room they're in to figure out if they'll get towel service and housekeeping benefits.

The beach is quite nice, but be aware of where you enter the water. There's a lot of coral in some spots while others are easier to get in and out of the ocean. While on the beach we were able to see whales from time to time in the distance and there were several times while snorkeling that we'd come across a large sea turtle.

The facilities are well kept and the path along the beach through the other resorts is very nice for a stroll or a jog. We stayed in a 1 bedroom with a partial ocean view....which overlooked a lot with the foundation for a building. The room was good, but half the time housekeeping wouldn't come because we'd sleep in and when we left the room around 9am, they had already passed us up. At other resorts, I'd expect the room to still be serviced, but apparently not here. I ended up calling and requesting service another day as well as requesting they restock the soaps.

The pool areas look nice but are often overflowing with kids. We tried to go one night later in the evening and even then there were dozens of teenagers hanging around looking bored and miserable. The Duke's onsite is convenient but they're quite busy. The service isn't the greatest and if you'd like to have dinner there, be sure to make a reservation well in advance.

Overall, I'd go back as a family, but not as a couple.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Derek F
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a two bedroom/two bath partial ocean view room. The room was beautiful with large glass doors that opened up onto a large balcony. We had breakfast and had room for three of us to do yoga on the balcony (which was a necessity for us after our adventures)! The staff was very nice and always helpful. The market has a great selection of items in a pinch but there is a more reasonably priced supermarket directly across the street. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JulieS87
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family and I (hubby and 3 children ages 26, 23 & 17) stayed at this resort from May 26 through June 2, 2014. We were celebrating our 8th year anniversary as well as our 17 year old son's high school graduation. Based on the reviews I had read from previous guest, along with other sites and the recommendation of our American Express travel agent we decided this would be the best resort for all our needs. Upon arrival, front desk staff were nice and polite and got us checked in immediately. We were directed to our room which was located in the Konea building Room 243, which was a short drive from the main building. We were very pleased with our room. We had a 2 BR/2 Bath oceanview suite with a pretty large balcony. The suite was equipped with Bosch kitchen appliances including a washer/dryer. Overall, we were all please with our suite until we noticed a few critters (roaches) in the kitchen area and bathroom. We were all disgusted by that, called the front desk and they informed us that roaches were an issue on the island. I was not happy with that response. Maintenance came up and placed sticky traps in the areas thinking that would work. Unfortunately, it didn't so in the middle of the night we were moved to room 643 which was much better. We did not see any critters from then on and was a tad more satisfied. Aside from the bug issue everything else was superb.
The resort is absolutely beautiful and the landscaping is immaculate. Each morning while my hubby and I sat on the balcony with our morning coffee we could see the grounds being taken care of by few of the employees. The pool area is very nice and clean with more than enough lounge chairs for its guest. we loved the fact that there were some secluded areas by the pool if you wanted to just get a way from small children playing in the water. We were impressed with the grills that were provided for the guest in the grill areas. We cooked out at least 4 times during our stay. The Jacuzzi was so relaxing with the water at the perfect temperature at all times. There is an onsite restaurant ( Dukes) and they served breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
Now for the beach, absolutely beautiful clean clear water. It was a tad rocky in some areas so you may want to bring your swim shoes just in case. The best part was that there wasn't any seaweed I'm not a fan of yucky waters filled with seaweed. The beach was never crowed and no one harassing you to buy things like how it is on some of the other island. I would have preferred if they had more lounge chair and umbrellas in the beach area. Nevertheless, we all enjoyed the beach very much.
In terms of activities, there is so much to do on the island we didn't have enough time to do it all. The concierge desk can arrange all your activities. We booked the guided Hana Highway tour, and a Luau at the Hyatt Regency through the concierge desk and they are a "must to do" in my opinion. Other activities we booked on our own. Keep in mind that Maui is expensive so prepare yourself to dish out some $$$$ for just about everything especially groceries. I almost forgot to mention that it's a great idea to stock up at the Costco right by the airport before you leave for the resort. Great savings and they even sell alcohol. Overall, we all had a wonderful time and would definitely stay at this resort on our next trip.

Room Tip: Definitely oceanfront of oceanview on the higher floors gives you a much better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank bsw2006
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is a great family oriented resort with lovely accommodations. The rooms were spacious and furniture very comfortable. The kitchen was fully stocked making breakfast an easy task in the early morning prior to excursions. The layout in the bathroom was just a bit odd; but I really can't complain, we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends