“Luxury Condo on Maui”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been to Maui many times, and if you are looking for a luxury hotel there usually is no problem. A luxury condo is a different story. Most of the condo complexes on Maui have been build over 30 years ago and it is rare to find a new and updated place. Honua Kai is the spot. The property is only a few years old, and the units have luxury BOSCH appliances, granite countertops and substantial lanai furniture. They are very nicely decorated with neutral colors. The property has more amenities than your avarage condo, with an on site grocery/deli, spa, beach activities hut, and DUKES restaurant. We would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trm1128

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We could not have chosen a better resort. Rooms were luxurious and staff were courteous. We were not advised there would be a 20% surcharge prior to the spa treatment, which we would have paid anyway. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a great vacation in Muai.

1  Thank ManuelGraves
Reviewed 16 June 2014

By most of the pervious reviews American consumers are happy with average or below. The rooms are nice,clean, modern very comfortable but the publicity spin doesn't deliver. Breakfast at Dukes was crap. Eggs delivered virtually raw,cold potatoes,forgot the bacon,forgot the toast. They didn't deserve payment it was so bad. Pools, nice for kids but 3 foot deep pools are a joke for adults. I just can't believe so many Americans are happy with such average quality and service and embrace it. Wake up people, you are paying good money for very average and the expectation of 20% plus tips on top for someone just doing a very average service performance is a joke. Wouldn't rate this place if you want some peace,it is a busy,loud zoo of kids having fun and that's what they should be doing but hey the parents are paying so give a little consideration to them and some adult space. This is a hard review but I believe very fair and is a warning to adult couples travelling without kids that this is not the place if you want to chill and relax. I only wish someone had been honest in their reviews that would have warned me off this place. We left 3 days earlier than planned as it just wasn't delivering.
Peter, New Zealand

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PETER R
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are repeat visitors to the island of Maui. Honua Kai fully meets our expectations. We spend a lot of time at the pool and Curtis at the towel desk made our stay here very enjoyable. From his knowledge of Maui Jim sunglasses to skin care, he assisted us to make our trip wonderful! The free snuba demo in the pool kept the younger kids occupied and Adam wasn't pushy at all to make us book a snuba dive. Trust me, you won't be disappointed at Honua Kai.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Tpaddyoregon
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is my second time staying here. The first time a=was three years ago. I brought my two teenage daughters and they each brought a friend. At the time as a single father it was awesome. The kitchen facilities made food prep breeze and very cost effective.

This time, I'm here with my bride and eldest daughter on vacation. We are staying in HH841. It was a wrap around balcony, which we absolutely love. My wife loves the convince of home here rather then having to go out for everything. The pool is stunning. Wwe have spent two days on the beach. It is fabulous. Dukes is a plus. I would recommend the Hula Pie if you want desert. It's incredible.

The only improvement I would suggest is doubling the excursive room. It is just slammed all morning and the free weight section is way to small and very inadequate. This is a downside. The good far exceeds anything else available. For families, I would definitely recommend this as the only alternative. I believe I have stayed at every five star resort on this island and this is on pair with all with a few special features that nothing else has.

Room Tip: Go high and close to ocean. Other then that, everything is great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Rodney N
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This resort definitely exceeded our expectations. The room was like a small condominium. We stayed in the one bedroom king, and it was two adults and our 6 year old son, which was perfect. In addition to the bedroom, there was a side room with a queen size sofa bed. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The kitchen, along with washer and dryer were perfect for a 2 week stay. We ate breakfast there every morning , which was certainly convenient especially with our son. The bathroom was large with a separate bathtub, and the living area was spacious. We could have stayed there for an additional 2 weeks without feeling cramped. The lobby had a small market that sold a little bit of everything from eggs to steaks. As for the resort itself, it was very family friendly. The pools were my son's favorite amenity. The beach had quite a bit of sea life without having to go too far into the ocean, which made it fun to snorkel. Just note that this side of the island is quite breezy, however not as bad as other spots.

The only reason I didn't give this resort a five was because of the view. We booked a partial ocean view, however you had to stand on your tip toes at the edge of the balcony to catch a glimpse of the ocean on a breezy day when the palms were blowing just enough to allow you to see some ocean blue. When I complained they were accommodating to some degree, however not a way to start off your vacation in paradise.

Additionally, I read some reviews about problems with the check-in process, and we didn't have any. I would recommend booking directly via the resort and not with the individual condo owners.

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank LondoFam
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Beautiful accommodation in Maui (we stayed in a two bedroom/ two bath unit 726HH). This is such a nice NEW resort. Unfortunately, most condos in Maui need significant updating(unless you love the 80s). What we liked:
1. clean furniture, bathrooms, kitchen, halls, pool areas EVERYTHING.
2. Close to groceries and quick bites at the strip mall a block away.
3. The stacking doors in the living room. The breeze was heavenly. Very little noise from the road ( this unit was on the mountain side).
4. More than one pool, something for everyone.
5. Friendly staff. Roland and Curtis at the pool. Daniel at Dukes.
6. Okay, this is something not directly at this resort, but if you need/want a new swimsuit, try Macys at the Hyatt just south of Honua Kai. Best selection and prices of anywhere on the island. Super friendly staff too.
What needed improvement:
1. a shopping cart in the parking garage to bring up groceries.
2. Beach towel swap instead of cleaning them daily yourself. I know this is a condo, but this was a pain. Our resort in Kauai provided pool and beach towels.

I would most definitely stay here again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Grizzlyteacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!