“Another Great Trio”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Mississauga, Canada
“Another Great Trio”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here last year and returned again this year. Our condo was clean and well equipped. Loved the lanai for morning breakfast or drinks at sunset.
This year the spa was open and we were able to try their facility. We had a Hawaiian massage and a hot coconut oil head massage ...simply fabulous after a busy day. However we also were not told there would be a 20% percent surcharge added at the end! we would have paid this but it should be told ahead of time,
Curtis at the Pool facility hut is great, talk to him about the Absolutely Natural Products they sell, we bought them last year, loved them and came back and stocked up again. He is very knowledgable about skincare.
We didn't use the pools as we like the beach. Too many children jumping in and screaming , they need to have one pool for just children ONLY!!!!
We only ate at Dukes for dinner our first evening as we were tired after a 11 hour flight, the rest of the time we tried dinners or drinks and appetizers at other places to get a feel for the island.
Rentals for chairs and an umbrella for the beach are expensive.
Great time at the Honua Kai

Room Tip: Loved the ocean view rooms!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Canadasunny53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here the first week of March 2014. We rented a studio condo through vrbo. It was huge for a studio and we had plenty of room; however, I imagine folks with kiddos might need more space. It was perfect for the two of us. We loved having our own kitchen and being able to cook. No need to wait in line at Duke's for breakfast - we cooked our own each morning. My husband grilled on the outdoor patios and we ate on the lanai most nights.

The hotel is huge, clean, and of course very well-kept. I admit I was concerned that no outside alcohol was allowed at the pool (don't judge...I'm on vacation) but we made our own cocktails in to-go cups and no one was the wiser. The pools are just fabulous; sure, there are a lot of families with children, but that's kind of par for the course at any big resort. Our pool time was 2-5 each day after the kids had meltdowns and were napping anyway. :) Overall, great place and we'd definitely go back.

The market in the hotel is very overpriced (but the gelato is delicious!) - go to the supermarket across the street or the Farmers Market down the way.

Only thing I was not wild about was the gym; it was too small and cramped for my liking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EDeNat08
San Jose, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been to Maui many times, and if you are looking for a luxury hotel there usually is no problem. A luxury condo is a different story. Most of the condo complexes on Maui have been build over 30 years ago and it is rare to find a new and updated place. Honua Kai is the spot. The property is only a few years old, and the units have luxury BOSCH appliances, granite countertops and substantial lanai furniture. They are very nicely decorated with neutral colors. The property has more amenities than your avarage condo, with an on site grocery/deli, spa, beach activities hut, and DUKES restaurant. We would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trm1128
Fresno, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We could not have chosen a better resort. Rooms were luxurious and staff were courteous. We were not advised there would be a 20% surcharge prior to the spa treatment, which we would have paid anyway. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a great vacation in Muai.

1 Thank ManuelGraves
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 June 2014

By most of the pervious reviews American consumers are happy with average or below. The rooms are nice,clean, modern very comfortable but the publicity spin doesn't deliver. Breakfast at Dukes was crap. Eggs delivered virtually raw,cold potatoes,forgot the bacon,forgot the toast. They didn't deserve payment it was so bad. Pools, nice for kids but 3 foot deep pools are a joke for adults. I just can't believe so many Americans are happy with such average quality and service and embrace it. Wake up people, you are paying good money for very average and the expectation of 20% plus tips on top for someone just doing a very average service performance is a joke. Wouldn't rate this place if you want some peace,it is a busy,loud zoo of kids having fun and that's what they should be doing but hey the parents are paying so give a little consideration to them and some adult space. This is a hard review but I believe very fair and is a warning to adult couples travelling without kids that this is not the place if you want to chill and relax. I only wish someone had been honest in their reviews that would have warned me off this place. We left 3 days earlier than planned as it just wasn't delivering.
Peter, New Zealand

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PETER R
Ione
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We are repeat visitors to the island of Maui. Honua Kai fully meets our expectations. We spend a lot of time at the pool and Curtis at the towel desk made our stay here very enjoyable. From his knowledge of Maui Jim sunglasses to skin care, he assisted us to make our trip wonderful! The free snuba demo in the pool kept the younger kids occupied and Adam wasn't pushy at all to make us book a snuba dive. Trust me, you won't be disappointed at Honua Kai.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Tpaddyoregon
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is my second time staying here. The first time a=was three years ago. I brought my two teenage daughters and they each brought a friend. At the time as a single father it was awesome. The kitchen facilities made food prep breeze and very cost effective.

This time, I'm here with my bride and eldest daughter on vacation. We are staying in HH841. It was a wrap around balcony, which we absolutely love. My wife loves the convince of home here rather then having to go out for everything. The pool is stunning. Wwe have spent two days on the beach. It is fabulous. Dukes is a plus. I would recommend the Hula Pie if you want desert. It's incredible.

The only improvement I would suggest is doubling the excursive room. It is just slammed all morning and the free weight section is way to small and very inadequate. This is a downside. The good far exceeds anything else available. For families, I would definitely recommend this as the only alternative. I believe I have stayed at every five star resort on this island and this is on pair with all with a few special features that nothing else has.

Room Tip: Go high and close to ocean. Other then that, everything is great!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Rodney N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!