We booked unit 446 in the Konea (newer) tower for five nights through Kaanapali Beach Properties. This is an important distinction as you don't get access to all of the resort amenities when booking through a property manager or the owner. Therefore, your experience will likely vary from most reviewers on here when discussing things like cleanliness, customer service, etc. We only dealt with the front desk to pay for parking and had no housekeeping. This review is only about the property itself and not about the rental company.
The Honua Kai was a great choice for our family of four (including kids ages 10 and 6). Our unit is a one bedroom with fold out couch bed and included all the convenient and modern amenities you would expect like full size fridge, washer/dryer, stove, microwave and the highlight - big lanai with partial ocean view. Our unit faced the beach public access parking lot and we found it peaceful as there were rarely more than a handful of cars and mostly joggers running up and down the path. Our unit also came with all the beach/pool equipment necessary like beach towels, snorkeling gear, boogie boards, etc.
It's pretty clear from the reviews that this is a family-oriented resort so anyone complaining about not finding peace and quite while on a honeymoon or romantic retreat clearly did not do their homework.
I agree that staying here is ideal for families. We stayed in early June and a vast majority of fellow guests were families. That said, I never thought it was zoo like or out of control. In fact, I thought most of the guests were very respectful. The resort is well kept and the busy pool area stays clean and free of debris and trash that you might see in other busy resorts.
A few other tips/comments:
1) Right across the street from the Konea Tower is a convenient shopping center that includes Times Supermarket that has a better and more unique selection than the Safeway in Lahaina. We stocked up on all our groceries here including yummy spam musubi. The shopping center also has a video rental and snorkel bobs.
2) The property fronts one of the best beaches around. There is fantastic snorkeling about 10 min walk south down the board walk at what is Kahekili Beach (aka Old Airport Beach) right in front of the Westin Villas. The coral reef is right up on the beach, in great condition, and spans for the good length of the beach. We saw two giant sea turtles resting on the reef and more exotic fish than you can count.
3) The area is generally windy but you really feel it by the pool and it starts to pick up in the late morning. Get there early or expect to feel the breeze.
4) We only at Duke's once. The location is great and convenient but the quality average. Too many good places to eat in Lahaina as well as saving cooking in the condo.
5) The only true ocean view units are the few that directly front ocean at the tips are what is a giant U-shaped building. All others are partial ocean at best. We didn't mind but I've seen this question come up in my research.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on world-famous Kaanapali North Beach, Honua Kai provides an unparalleled level of service and all the amenities of a luxury resort with expansive one, two, and three bedroom suites. Perhaps the greatest luxury of all is simply the space to spread out. Inside, the feel is that of a luxury Maui vacation home, graciously furnished in exotic wood and polished granite, and tastefully equipped with top of the line appliances. The gourmet kitchens contain everything you need to make a fantastic meal. Or simply make reservations at one of our spectacular restaurants. This is the Hawaii vacation you have always imagined, exactly as you imagined it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Honua Kai Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honua Kai Hotel Lahaina
- Honua Kai Resort And Spa
- Honua Kai Resort & Spa Maui/Lahaina