“Honua Kai, yer doing it right!”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Brisbane
“Honua Kai, yer doing it right!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Units are roomy, very nicely furnished and appear brand new. If you can afford it – get an ocean-view room, you will NOT be disappointed by the views. I holiday frequently, all over the world, and I’ve never seen a more beautiful view in my life than from this resort. It’s well worth it. Despite being more apartment style accommodation (full kitchen, with cooking utilities, etc) than hotel room, they still provide all the hotel style services you’d expect from a hotel such as daily maid service, 24hr reception and bellhops. From memory, I don’t think they had in-room dining which was a bit of a shame…

The staff are super friendly and helpful, I found everyone was very laid back but still efficient and approachable and I found other resort staff were pushy and too rule-oriented, not so here… and I like that.

The grounds are massive and beautiful and the views are breathtaking. The pool areas are fantastic with stunning gazebos and kabanas available to rent, loads of pool toys available to rent and buy, cocktails flowing all day, and pool side meals on demand. Again, a lot of other resorts and water parks really annoy me with too many pushy rules and regulations, too quick to forget whose actually the paying guest… That wasn’t the case here, this place is much more laid back and friendly without compromising on safety.

There’s a quiet relaxing pool for adults as well as waterslides and adventure pools for kids and a party pool as well near the bar. The beach is directly adjoining the resort and the reef isn’t the best I’ve seen, but it makes for some ok snorkeling all the same.

In front of the resort is a large shopping complex with basically everything you could ever need from snorkel gear to physiotherapy to groceries, etc. Would be nice to see a bank here, but other than that, you got everything you need on hand.

The in-resort restaurant is beautiful both in its appointment and its menu. And the prices were very reasonable! I had a 2 course dinner with my family of 4, including cocktails, and it came to $90 which blew me away for the quality of the place.

I plan to return to this place in October and this time I’m bringing a much larger group of guests and going to book even larger rooms and facilities – this place is my new BFF. Thanks for having us Honua Kai!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view if you can afford it - it's WELL worth the money, the views are breathtaking!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank NickBuick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
NAPA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The entire staff was warm and accomadating!! New facility and it looks it! The snorkeling right in front of the hotel was awesome for a family with kids. Keep in mind this is a family vacation condo/hotel. Lots of kids! Great place for family reunions. If I were going as a couple to get away, I would choose another place. It's a great value for families. Love how the room doors open the full length of the room. It brings the inside out and visa-versa. Dukes is right there, 3 pools, parents can find a quite spot at the pool if they want. Go and get you pool chairs early, because the umbrellas get taken fast.

I'll be back!

Aloha

3 Thank PETER M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My family and I stayed here and it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. The pool and beach area were absolutely beautiful. We were a group of 6 adults and 3 kids and we spent the majority of our time at the pool and beach for our 10 day stay. The pool by Duke's was much quieter than the kid pool and kids were still able to play in this pool. You definitely need to bring water shoes for the beach because there are large rocks even in the shallower part. If you want to rent a gazebo by the pools, you need to reserve them at least 6 months before your trip. Hotel room and bathroom were VERY clean. We were able to request late check-out at 5:00 because our room was not rented out the next day so that was nice because we basically could spend all day at the pool and then could shower before our flight. It was pretty windy at hotel the entire trip which was nice because it felt cooler. Some reviews mentioned a bad smell at resort and we did NOT notice that at all. We definitely would recommend this hotel to all of our friends and family. We honestly can't wait until we can go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Melissa P
Columbia City, IN
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed in an ocean view studio suite on the 8th floor during our last visit to Maui. Our initial impression of Honua Kai was positive. The friendly bell staff was excellent. They unloaded our luggage and groceries and promptly delivered them to our suite. The bellman then explained some features of the suite, such as how to open and close the sliding door/wall. The suite included a full-size kitchen, washer & dryer, and the bathroom included a shower separate from the tub. Unfortunately, there is no full-length mirror in the suite. (The only mirror in the suite was the one above the sink in the bathroom.) Everything was nice and clean. However, housekeeping refreshed towels only every other day and cleaned/changed the bedding only every 4th day. So be sure to leave a note for housekeeping regarding how many towels, toiletries, etc. that you need to last for the 2-day intervals. As time went on, we realized that housekeeping efforts were half-hearted and they only did what was absolutely necessary. There was no attempt to even pick up a Q-tip that had been dropped by the bathroom's waste basket. Also, our housekeeper never even wiped off the railing on the lanai during our stay, even though there were obvious bird droppings on the railing. Nevertheless, there is an additional $29 per day resort fee charged at checkout time.

Honua Kai Resort includes 4 swimming pools: a family pool (3.5' deep) with a shallow kiddie end separated from the rest of the pool, a lazy river pool (5.5' deep), a "quiet" pool for adults (3.5' deep), and a very noisy pool with 2 waterfalls and a slide. There are also 4 hot tubs at various locations near the pools. Pool towels are also available for checkout. Duke's Beach House is located on the beach in front of Tower 1 and waiters circulate around the pools for drink and/or food orders, which was very convenient.

The worst service was from the front desk staff, who seemed bothered by any questions. In fact, when I asked about printing the boarding passes from their self-serve station, I was coldly told to use the drop down menu. When I said I had tried that and nothing happened, the desk clerk very reluctantly came out from behind the desk to help and then realized the computer was down. She said she would contact their tech person to fix it. Luckily, it was working the next day when I needed to print the boarding passes before we left for the airport. Finally, since our flight was a late flight, I asked for a late checkout time. Not surprisingly, the answer was "no."

In summary, the condo itself is nice, the pools are nice, the bell staff is excellent, Duke's is very good, but housekeeping and the front desk staff leave you dissatisfied with the overall service during your stay. We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if you want ocean view suite for best views. Tower 1 is closest to Duke's...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JackieNChuck
Mission, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We rented a 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo on the first floor (#103 through Kaanapali Beach Rentals) which included a fabulous kitchen, dining area, living area, washer/dryer, small yard and patio with dining table and chairs plus a lanai plus an outdoor kitchen with a Viking grill, fridge and sink. A secret path of stepping stones led to the pools and on to the beach. Being on the first floor was private and just perfect for enjoying coffee in the morning and cocktails while watching the sunsets - which are glorious and ever changing. We stayed two weeks. The first week our two children and their families joined us and the second week two couples we love to travel with moved in. Two completely different vacations and both fabulous! After a day or two we found a staircase near our door at the end of the long hallway that led down to the garage so we started parking at that end of the garage and it was a huge help. We rarely had to take an elevator and you know how helpful that is when you have children and beach stuff. We just walked out our little yard to wherever we were going and when we returned with wet shoes, towels, toys and boogie boards we just left them in a corner in our little yard. The resort has multiple pools including a 'quiet' adult pool. Duke's Restaurant is on site which is really handy when you don't feel like cooking or going out to a restaurant. Very helpful when the children were with us the first week. The owners of our condo left a closet full of beach chairs and boogie boards which was a lovely bonus. We read their guest book to find suggestions for restaurants and activities. While there we snorkeled, surfed, spear fished, zip lined, and hiked in the rain forest. One special night with our family we hired Hiram, an incredible chef, who came to our condo and made us the most incredible meal. It was all island delicacies, fish, pineapple, homemade pastas, etc. and he even pleased our vegan family members without skipping a beat. I hope we can return someday.....aloha!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view but make sure it isn't close to one of the Trash rooms found on the secon...
3 Thank Virginia M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was the first time we got a condo in Maui, b/c we were bringing 2 teenagers. The condo in the Konea building was fabulous, however the partial ocean view wasn't much. The ocean was far away. Didn't expect that after talking to the agent. The huge patio was unbelievable. All the glass doors opened like an accordion. However, most of the time it was too hot to have them open. My only complaint was the washer/dryer. They were so tiny and didn't hold much. And didn't work most of the time. The dryer made the clothes more wet. Finally my son got on youtube and put in the kind of dryer to see the problem. Can you believe there was a video from someone about the dryers at the Honua Kai Resort explaining how to clear the water and debris out. After my son did as instructed it worked much better. The washer didn't wash the clothes very clean most of the time. In the room we were in, which was privately owned (rented from a mgt. agency) had a huge closet with all kinds of things previous renters had left, which was wonderful. Several ice chests and boogie boards that we didn't have to buy. Love there was 3 tv's and two huge bathrooms. I am used to seeing the beauty of the hotels' lobbies and grandness of the flowers and what they have to offer. There wasn't much to the lobby of this hotel, but it was very nice. We took the kids over to the Hyatt to show them what nice Hawaii hotels look like (and an expensive breakfast $114 for 4!). Once down in the lobby the beach and pool were not far away. There wasn't a big pool, but several small ones. Loved the big slide in one. Good for kids & adults. The conceirge was very helpful and planned our activities/dinners. Every thing is so expensive!! You pay for self parking right when you get there. Duke's was close by, but never saw the general store/deli, b/c it was in another building far away. Didn't get a chance to use the spa, but looked nice. The gym was nice. No Maui beach to look out too like the Hyatt, but it was a normal hotel gym with enough machines. If I stayed there again (with kids) I'd spring for more of a view. We ended up not using the kitchen liked we planned and ate out most meals, except breakfast. Everything is provided for you, even washer soap. They even gave us beach towels. Mgt company (kannapalibeachrentals.com) was very helpful. We stayed in Konea 818. Would definitely recommend if you have more than 2 people for the space and kitchen.

Room Tip: Definitely rent through a mgt. company. They make better deals. Get a room with a patio, but don'...
3 Thank readytotravelanytime
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My family of 4 recently stayed here in a two-bedroom suite, and we all absolutely loved it.

Our condo was very spacious for my family of 4, and it even felt like home. All of the silverware and kitchen appliances were clean. One of our only problems was the dryer- it took FOREVER. The washer was fine, it was just the dryer. Another problem we had was the poor lighting in both bathrooms. We called multiple times about this issue, and almost every time we called, they sent up a worker to switch the lightbulb. But, that didn't change a thing. Our lanai had a great view. Its view was mainly of the courtyard and one of the pools, but it also had a great view of the ocean, even though it said ours was "partial oceanfront".

The kids loved the pools and the waterslide. The pool with the waterslide gets very loud and crowded, with all of the kids screaming and running. My family normally only went to that pool to ride the waterslide- it is short, but fun. The other pool is much less noisy and crowded, although I will say that there are still many kids in it. The hot tubs are enjoyable, if you enjoy being in very HOT water. If you plan on lounging in the chairs, I recommend either getting towels the night before, or getting them right when the towel booth opens in the morning. If you already have towels from the night before, I also recommend setting them out early in the morning, as many people start doing that at 7 or 8 AM.

There is access to the beach, by the pools. You can only go in a few steps, as the water is extremely rocky. I recommend wearing water shoes if you want to go in farther than ankle-deep.

The Duke's on property is great, and I heard about the fitness center in one of the buildings, but I unfortunately never went, as it sounded nice. My family did the free photo session that was offered by the photographer in the building, which was great. His studio is by the Aina Gourmet café.

All of the service and staff members are wonderful. I can say that my family would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Stayed July 2014