“Flawless Execution of Hospitality”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I visited both Kauai and Maui in June of 2014 - we had a wonderful trip and will detail some of our adventures. After staying 5 nights at a hotel in Kauai, where every meal or snack represented a small fortune, it was a relief getting to the Honua Kai. These are condos, not hotel rooms, and each furnished with a spacious updated kitchen. The friendly staff pointed us to a grocery store just on the other side of the property, where we loaded up on some essentials (of course we had already stopped at Costco...). Having the ability to bring the family up for lunch instead of dining out was more healthy and certainly saved some money.

The Staff: the staff was always pleasant - greeted with an Aloha at every turn. Extra towels? no problem. Best snorkeling spot? they will tell you. Really impressed with their attentiveness.

The Venue: this couldn't have been a better place - at least for our family of 6 (kids are 13, 11, 9, 7). Located among many other resorts in Lihue, the Honua Kai has everything we needed - wifi to stay in touch, fitness room and classes, beautiful pools with plenty of areas to either be seen or find a cozy spot to read a book. The pools themselves are tons of fun for the kids - water slides, tunnels, lazy river, etc. A Beach Walk crosses the properties of all the resorts, and for the most part is right along the beach - great for runners, walkers to get out and enjoy the scenery.
Our favorite part was the natural beauty that is preserved along the beach. There is a huge reef right off of the property, loaded with colorful fish of all kinds. My daughter and I came across a sea turtle within 20 minutes of putting our masks on - she will never forget that moment. There is an award winning Duke's restaurant right on the property - great food and something for everyone.
Finally, the sunsets! The property's beach faces west, with the silhouettes of Lanai and Molokai off in the distance. Every night, my wife and I would head down to the beach with a glass of wine to watch the beautiful sun set deeply into the horizon. Truly spectacular. We will definitely come back here.
I do have to plug our Travel Coordinator - if it weren't for her, I would have done my normal safe bet and booked at a Marriott or Hilton. So glad she placed us here for we would never have found it. Melinda Fortunato at Classic Travel: THANK YOU!!

Room Tip: The Ocean-view rooms are fanstastic. Resort-view just means "not ocean view" and looks out...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Mark S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,287)

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 stay here July 24 -31. We were in 1 bedroom unit thru vrbo. It was nicely furnished with all the amenities of a hotel minus the daily cleaning. The over all feel of the resort is upscale and the room still feel newish.The pool area however is too crowded with kids. It is well located in the North Kaanapali Beach area.. A good place for family vs staying in hotel room

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank fiddlersu
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great place for families. The rooms are spacious and in great shape. The pools are nice and offer variety for kids or adults. The beach was right there by the pools. We would spend hours at the pool then head to the beach and back to the pool. Family of five had plenty of room with the 2 bedroom. One of the best resorts I've been to

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim F
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After seeing how highly rated this hotel was on tripadvisor, I really wanted to book it for my honeymoon. I called the front desk and got transferred to reservations who didnt pick up, I got sent to voice mail. Called back and "Angela" at the front desk who told me it was an error and sent me to reservations again. After getting vm again, I called back a 3rd time thinking this must be a routing error. Angela picks up takes my information and after asking her if they offer a group discount, she told me she had to end the call "to answer all of the other phone calls". At 10:15pm EST Sunday, Im not looking to stay on the phone either but dont want to be hung up on as I am looking to spend $$$ on my vacation.
After 30 minutes of waiting, I call back and get Angela again. She finally asks "Oh do you want someone from the front desk to help" and I said "Yes please let me just book my room I just want to book with the group discount." I get transferred to another woman who had no background of what was going on and couldnt help... they were just going to take my information again. Its now 11pm EST and according to Angela and the other lady I spoke with staff closes up shop at this point.
This experience was so frustrating I just give up. I really wanted to book this hotel for my honeyon but now all I have is a headache to show for it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank amai1110
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay here recently. Family of 5 with my wife and three teens. We had plenty of space and the having the full kitchen was nice. Property is gorgeous and access to the beach was fantastic. Having ability to choose between the many pools and the beach was great. Great bar at the pool. Concierge, Kimmy, was fantastic and helped us book zip line tour. We loved the entire trip. Would certainly recommend this property for families with small children. Might avoid if we were looking for a more "adult" experience without kids.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This resort could not have been more beautiful! We were in Hokulani tower room #708. Well....It was gorgeous! It was on the top floor of this section, and on the end so we had no one on the right side. We were super close to an elevator, which was awesome. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean (we booked a partial ocean view) due to the fact that there as an empty lot next door. That made for a full view of the ocean! It was also super quiet. I am a light sleeper and have major problems sleeping in hotels due to doors slamming or people talking, but there was absolutely NO NOISE! The king size bed was so comfy, I didn't want to come home to my own bed. My 2 teenage girls said the roll out sofa wasn't very comfortable, so if we go again in the future, which I DEFINITELY would love to do, I would book a 2 bedroom instead of 1. Gorgeous Kitchen with granite countertops and upscale apliances.
There was a big hurricane headed to Maui on the 5th day we were there and it started storming and the wind was fierce. The resort handled this beautifully! They sent a letter to each room asking for the furniture from the Lanai to be moved inside the night the hurricane was to hit. They even came to our room personally that evening to see if we needed help and to make sure we were safe. Our flight was pushed back 4 hours due to this storm, and they graciously let us have a later checkout with no extra charge.
There was underground parking, (which is free), so we used that in order to get away inside safe. The elevator from this structure took us straight up next to our room. I loved that!
We stopped at Costco on the way from the airport, which was suggested by many of the reviews, but with only the 4 of us, it was almost too much food. We ended up leaving a lot of food in the fridge. There is a safeway right down the street and if I had to do it again, I think I would have gone there instead. If you have a large family though, it would be well worth it! The resort has lots of BBQ's that you can use so that is great too.
We used the washer and dryer in the room everyday and were able to come home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. That made me incredibly happy!
The beach that the resort is on, Kaanapali, is awesome. We did a ton of snorkeling and saw sea turtles and even a large group of stingrays (or maybe they were manta-rays, I'm not too sure), but they were amazing!.
We went zip-lining with skyline eco adventures, which was about 3 minutes from the resort, and it was incredible! Never had so much fun in my life.
We ate at Duke's beach house, which is right on the resort, numerous times and loved everything we ordered. It is a little pricey, but worth it! Your on vacation, right? We also ate at cheeseburger in paradise on Front Street and that was such a terrific place with an amazing view of the water.
There was a little cove that one local recommended named Honolua bay and it was such an incredible place to snorkel. You walk through a wooded area and then come out on this beautiful cove that has the most amazing fish and other sea life. I even saw a big Morey eel! You have to go there.
The little coffee shop in the resort had the most delicious mocha I have ever tasted. I was sad to have to leave those perfect morning drinks!
We took a snorkel tour to Lanai, which we booked through the concierge in the resort, and saw tons of dolphins! My poor daughter got super sea sick and threw up, so make sure you buy some Dramamine or the like if you tend to get sea sick.
Ok, I know my review is really long, and I could probably write a book, but I cannot tell you how amazing this place was. PLEASE consider it if you are heading to Maui. You will not regret it for one second!

Room Tip: LOVED room #708 in Hokulani tower. This was an outside room so it was super quiet.
3  Thank KStarbird5
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family of 5 stayed in room 526, a "resort view" classification. The only resort view we saw was the hotels next door from our room. Our room had a mountain view (n/e view towards the street) and was booked through Costco Travel.

Let me start with the positive(s) for the hotel. The lobby and pool area(s) were very nice as well as the ease of getting to the beach. Hotel staff was also very nice.

Now for the bad. When we first walked into the room the carpets had numerous and very large stains everywhere. We have never stayed in a hotel where the carpets were that stained. Even the blinds had stains on them. The couch also had stains on it. The room had a kitchen with stove, frig, dishwasher, dishes, etc., nice for eating in but there was a lack of silverware and dishes in general. It seemed like we were running the dishwasher all the time and even had to hand wash some of the silverware so we would have them to use. We had to ask for dish soap and a sponge when we first arrived as staff did not provide for this in our room at the start. The kitchen faucet was not tightened to the counter so when we turned it side to side the entire faucet moved instead of top portion of it. The kitchen could have used a cookie sheet to cook with. There was a casserole type dish but that's not the same. There was also only one storage bowl with a lid to store leftovers/cut-up fruit, etc. in. Could have used more. Enough has been said about the dryer by other people. The showers have the worst heads on them. The spray was in different directions from some of the water holes (mineral build-up ?) and the water streams were small and not adjustable making showers take longer. The shower door handles in both showers were lose. One of the toilets had water constantly running. You get air conditioning but you are not in control of it. It was set at 78 deg. and was not adjustable. One of the rooms was nice and cool but the living room area and the other bedroom were always hotter than the "cool" bedroom.

Maybe our room was an exception for the condition but what do people say about first impressions??? I told staff at check-out I would not stay at the resort in the future nor recommend it to anyone to stay at. Staff was nice and asked if any of the issues had been addressed and advised I could write a review on Tripadvisor. My point to her was why should they need to be addressed in the first place? The hotel was supposed to be an upscale hotel which should be reflected in the room condition.

8  Thank David E