“Great resort”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
“Great resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed 5 nights, travelled as family with 4 year old child. The rooms (apartments) are very new, nice and spacious with kitchen and laundry machine. The resort is nice, also the beach is very nice. Sleep quality was very good. The only improvement would be the laundry machine, because it is very loud, therefore it is not possible to wash during the night. Would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank 3sashimi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I visited both Kauai and Maui in June of 2014 - we had a wonderful trip and will detail some of our adventures. After staying 5 nights at a hotel in Kauai, where every meal or snack represented a small fortune, it was a relief getting to the Honua Kai. These are condos, not hotel rooms, and each furnished with a spacious updated kitchen. The friendly staff pointed us to a grocery store just on the other side of the property, where we loaded up on some essentials (of course we had already stopped at Costco...). Having the ability to bring the family up for lunch instead of dining out was more healthy and certainly saved some money.

The Staff: the staff was always pleasant - greeted with an Aloha at every turn. Extra towels? no problem. Best snorkeling spot? they will tell you. Really impressed with their attentiveness.

The Venue: this couldn't have been a better place - at least for our family of 6 (kids are 13, 11, 9, 7). Located among many other resorts in Lihue, the Honua Kai has everything we needed - wifi to stay in touch, fitness room and classes, beautiful pools with plenty of areas to either be seen or find a cozy spot to read a book. The pools themselves are tons of fun for the kids - water slides, tunnels, lazy river, etc. A Beach Walk crosses the properties of all the resorts, and for the most part is right along the beach - great for runners, walkers to get out and enjoy the scenery.
Our favorite part was the natural beauty that is preserved along the beach. There is a huge reef right off of the property, loaded with colorful fish of all kinds. My daughter and I came across a sea turtle within 20 minutes of putting our masks on - she will never forget that moment. There is an award winning Duke's restaurant right on the property - great food and something for everyone.
Finally, the sunsets! The property's beach faces west, with the silhouettes of Lanai and Molokai off in the distance. Every night, my wife and I would head down to the beach with a glass of wine to watch the beautiful sun set deeply into the horizon. Truly spectacular. We will definitely come back here.
I do have to plug our Travel Coordinator - if it weren't for her, I would have done my normal safe bet and booked at a Marriott or Hilton. So glad she placed us here for we would never have found it. Melinda Fortunato at Classic Travel: THANK YOU!!

Room Tip: The Ocean-view rooms are fanstastic. Resort-view just means "not ocean view" and looks out...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark S
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 stay here July 24 -31. We were in 1 bedroom unit thru vrbo. It was nicely furnished with all the amenities of a hotel minus the daily cleaning. The over all feel of the resort is upscale and the room still feel newish.The pool area however is too crowded with kids. It is well located in the North Kaanapali Beach area.. A good place for family vs staying in hotel room

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank fiddlersu
Sherwood, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Great place for families. The rooms are spacious and in great shape. The pools are nice and offer variety for kids or adults. The beach was right there by the pools. We would spend hours at the pool then head to the beach and back to the pool. Family of five had plenty of room with the 2 bedroom. One of the best resorts I've been to

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tim F
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

After seeing how highly rated this hotel was on tripadvisor, I really wanted to book it for my honeymoon. I called the front desk and got transferred to reservations who didnt pick up, I got sent to voice mail. Called back and "Angela" at the front desk who told me it was an error and sent me to reservations again. After getting vm again, I called back a 3rd time thinking this must be a routing error. Angela picks up takes my information and after asking her if they offer a group discount, she told me she had to end the call "to answer all of the other phone calls". At 10:15pm EST Sunday, Im not looking to stay on the phone either but dont want to be hung up on as I am looking to spend $$$ on my vacation.
After 30 minutes of waiting, I call back and get Angela again. She finally asks "Oh do you want someone from the front desk to help" and I said "Yes please let me just book my room I just want to book with the group discount." I get transferred to another woman who had no background of what was going on and couldnt help... they were just going to take my information again. Its now 11pm EST and according to Angela and the other lady I spoke with staff closes up shop at this point.
This experience was so frustrating I just give up. I really wanted to book this hotel for my honeyon but now all I have is a headache to show for it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank amai1110
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay here recently. Family of 5 with my wife and three teens. We had plenty of space and the having the full kitchen was nice. Property is gorgeous and access to the beach was fantastic. Having ability to choose between the many pools and the beach was great. Great bar at the pool. Concierge, Kimmy, was fantastic and helped us book zip line tour. We loved the entire trip. Would certainly recommend this property for families with small children. Might avoid if we were looking for a more "adult" experience without kids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Yucaipa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This resort could not have been more beautiful! We were in Hokulani tower room #708. Well....It was gorgeous! It was on the top floor of this section, and on the end so we had no one on the right side. We were super close to an elevator, which was awesome. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean (we booked a partial ocean view) due to the fact that there as an empty lot next door. That made for a full view of the ocean! It was also super quiet. I am a light sleeper and have major problems sleeping in hotels due to doors slamming or people talking, but there was absolutely NO NOISE! The king size bed was so comfy, I didn't want to come home to my own bed. My 2 teenage girls said the roll out sofa wasn't very comfortable, so if we go again in the future, which I DEFINITELY would love to do, I would book a 2 bedroom instead of 1. Gorgeous Kitchen with granite countertops and upscale apliances.
There was a big hurricane headed to Maui on the 5th day we were there and it started storming and the wind was fierce. The resort handled this beautifully! They sent a letter to each room asking for the furniture from the Lanai to be moved inside the night the hurricane was to hit. They even came to our room personally that evening to see if we needed help and to make sure we were safe. Our flight was pushed back 4 hours due to this storm, and they graciously let us have a later checkout with no extra charge.
There was underground parking, (which is free), so we used that in order to get away inside safe. The elevator from this structure took us straight up next to our room. I loved that!
We stopped at Costco on the way from the airport, which was suggested by many of the reviews, but with only the 4 of us, it was almost too much food. We ended up leaving a lot of food in the fridge. There is a safeway right down the street and if I had to do it again, I think I would have gone there instead. If you have a large family though, it would be well worth it! The resort has lots of BBQ's that you can use so that is great too.
We used the washer and dryer in the room everyday and were able to come home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. That made me incredibly happy!
The beach that the resort is on, Kaanapali, is awesome. We did a ton of snorkeling and saw sea turtles and even a large group of stingrays (or maybe they were manta-rays, I'm not too sure), but they were amazing!.
We went zip-lining with skyline eco adventures, which was about 3 minutes from the resort, and it was incredible! Never had so much fun in my life.
We ate at Duke's beach house, which is right on the resort, numerous times and loved everything we ordered. It is a little pricey, but worth it! Your on vacation, right? We also ate at cheeseburger in paradise on Front Street and that was such a terrific place with an amazing view of the water.
There was a little cove that one local recommended named Honolua bay and it was such an incredible place to snorkel. You walk through a wooded area and then come out on this beautiful cove that has the most amazing fish and other sea life. I even saw a big Morey eel! You have to go there.
The little coffee shop in the resort had the most delicious mocha I have ever tasted. I was sad to have to leave those perfect morning drinks!
We took a snorkel tour to Lanai, which we booked through the concierge in the resort, and saw tons of dolphins! My poor daughter got super sea sick and threw up, so make sure you buy some Dramamine or the like if you tend to get sea sick.
Ok, I know my review is really long, and I could probably write a book, but I cannot tell you how amazing this place was. PLEASE consider it if you are heading to Maui. You will not regret it for one second!

Room Tip: LOVED room #708 in Hokulani tower. This was an outside room so it was super quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family