“Amazing!”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Albany, Oregon
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The accomadtions are spacious, the property and pools are awsome and the staff is great. We ate at Dukes and I am very picky when it comes to eating out and this place exceeded my expectations.
This place is wonderful!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
wheaton, il
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We returned to Maui to celebrate our wedding anniversary by renting a one bedroom condo at Honua Kai (from the owner). We were actually sad to leave this beautiful property! The beds were comfortable, the kitchen is very nice, and the grounds are gorgeous.

Although the one bedroom condo has a sofa bed, I think it would be a bit tight for a family of four, unless the kids were little. But, it is much larger than a regular hotel room, and you do get more bang for your buck. Plus, the added features of underground parking, a washer and dryer and full kitchen.

The only drawback was the occasional smell from the treatment plant, dependent upon the wind direction. We just closed the doors of the condo, or moved to a different spot at the pool. Also, they haven't built the "spa" so it's really just Honua Kai Resort.

Because this property is so new, it was not very crowded and this was a nice way to enjoy our vacation. The boardwalk is wonderful, Times Market is across the street, Duke's Restaurant is on site, it's close to other hotels and Lahaina that this makes it a perfect destination.

I would definitely recommend Honua Kai to family and friends, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luvmickey
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Everything about our stay was easy and comfortable. Location was great, property is beautiful, even parking was simple!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Orange County
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Just returned from 6 nights with family and in-laws at the Honua Kai. We stayed in a wonderful 2 bedroom corner in the Konea Tower. Everything felt (and is) new at this property. The state of the art Bosch kitchen was a great plus with a toddler. We did the Costco and Safeway runs shortly after arriving.
The unit is spectacular as we had a wrap around lanai that provided great sunset views. The windows are floor to ceiling and are a nanawall system that opens up the lanai completely to open up the living room. True Hawaii living with the outside coming inside. It almost doubles the living space. Beds, sofas and lanai furniture was all top notch and comfy.
We did rent from a private party and not the hotel itself. The staff still treated us great and gave us a wristband at the pool. Speaking of the pools, they were great for our little 2.5 year old. He made all kinds of friends at the sandy bottom kids pool. Great thing is, most of the pools were 3-5 feet at most so it was easy to carry him around and catch him jumping in. The beaches were beautiful but not the best swimming beaches. I saw one guest get cut from coral after jumping in at sunset. It is a great walking beach and the sunsets there were awesome. We did some fun sandcastle building on the beach so it is fun near the shoreline and my son was able to run back and forth in the shallow waves. i snorkeled 3 mornings and found it great right in front of the hotel, but even better the more South you go towards Black Rock and in front of the Westin.
We did eat at Dukes and its a great place for a sunset dinner. The food was really good, but Happy Hour was lacking in regards to the drink special selection. Not one Hawaii brewery on you Happy Hour list? I find that just not right for a place named after a Hawaiian icon.
Even though we cooked and grilled (on Viking grills!) on property, We did get the chance to eat out. Suggest the Gazebo in Napili for breakfast and if youre a sushi fiend, you have to go to Sansei in either Kihei or Kapalua. Don't miss Aloha Mixed Plate too. Cheap local grinds and scenery to die for. Good happy hour starting at like 2pm with surprisingly great mai tais!
Honua Kai is a short drive to Lahaina and Kaanapali, but far away enough form that hustle and bustle. The path in front allows you to walk (a long one!) all the way to Whalers Village and the south Kaanapali area.
If you have a family or group of friends that wants a resort feel, and doesn't mind cooking in a few nights with cocktails on the lanai, you can't go wrong with this great property! Mahalo!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank outof714
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I don't know what those people are smoking that come with complaints about Honua Kai. There are no surprises, including the $25 daily resort fee. There is maid service everyday, and they warn you that a thorough cleaning is every few days, not everyday. There is not millions of staff roaming the property which would be overkill because the real treat about this property is that it is very resort-LIKE but condo comfortable. You can live as "sloppy" as you prefer on vacation and yet have access to high-end appliances to cook or clean or dishwash your own mess on your own timeline. The maid service won't do it for you so there is no surprise around this. You also don't lose mounds of tip money each day which would easily happen at a 5-star resort if staff had to take care of your every move. Our 3-year old enjoyed the Family Fun Club and was the only child that the morning while we went and surfed. A good deal for $30 if you ask us as he had the full attention of the child care manager. I would recommend a 1st floor courtyard facing room if you have toddlers like us. The Lanai-style opening doors really made it fun to watch our toddlers play on the patch of patio grass that comes with a first floor room while watching the other guests stroll by, and not have to worry about traveling daily via elevator.
We loved this place - it was comfortable, clean, quiet, not in the heart of Kanaapali and Lanai and definitely not tore up like those high-traffic tourist spots. Be sure to check on the next phases of construction and the start dates. Looks like they're ready to start that up again as they enhance and expand which is only a good thing for us next year when we hope to return.
Enjoy future Honua Kai guests. You'll love it here!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RGRGATWORK
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Let me just start by saying, I am a travel agency owner of 13 years and I have traveled the world and by far this resort is in my "Top 5"!!! I am sooooooooooooooo very picky and I absolutely, positively loved this resort, the relaxation, and the wonderful staff. This was a fabulous surprise because I was very tempted to stay somewhere else, but I am sooooooooooo glad that I tried it out. I did transfer to another well known brand hotel for a few days in Wailea and became Very depressed. As a matter of fact, my depression started when I was packing my things up to depart from this hotel. We did not want to leave for nothing in the world. Because of this wonderful experience, I am now looking into spending from 2 weeks up to 6 months there very soon (leaving within the next 2 weeks). I did not expect this at all and NO I am not getting paid to say none of this. As a matter of fact, I don't usually write reviews, but when something stands out to me, such as this...........I can't help myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much Honua Kai!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank rlbAtlanta
Osseo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Ok I will admit that when I made the reservation I was worried I am picky and hard to please I like high class places and realy was thinking of staying at one of the other hotels on the island. But we took the chance and it paid off the place was great just like the pictures online the rooms wonderfully top of the line Bosch appliance and a open glass Lani ( patio) three wonderful pools. Great maid service and all around nice people.

• Stayed October 2010