“Nothing special”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Moose McGillycuddy's
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I was not crazy about the food. My husband had the BBQ chicken and I had the chicken tacos. The waitress suggested the chicken tacos and forgot to tell me they are Hot and Spicy! I would not order these again. I did however love the lava flow drink it was very good and during happy hour it was only $4.

There are newer reviews for Moose McGillycuddy's

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Moose's is not a fancy French restaurant -- it's just a dive bar where you can have some casual comfort food and a few drinks before you head back to shopping or get back to the inflated prices at your hotel.

With those expectations, we've visited Moose McGillycuddy's several times over the years and have been happy. For the market the prices are reasonable and the food isn't bad -- for what it is. Our most recent trips to the establishment weren't as pleasant.

The first visit was very uncomfortable; a regular was very much over-served and kept troubling us. He had written a book and insisted on talking about it with us again and again, incoherent and invasive. We were sitting at the bar, and the bartender did nothing to help us with the obvious annoyance.

We finally bought him a drink and that got him to go away, but we decided to leave without eating because we weren't comfortable. When we tried to leave he accosted us again, grabbing my wife by her wrist. The failure of the staff to intervene was very disappointing.

The next visit, just a couple days later, was much more peaceful. We had decided to give it another shot; we agreed that if we saw the drunk we'd just leave. He wasn't there, so we ordered some food and some drinks. At a certain point, I asked the bartender about the menu; he said he was busy and get back to me. There were less than eight people at the bar, but after 15 minutes he hadn't returned so I wasn't able to order lunch after my appetizer. We closed our tab and left.

I'm willing to forgive the Moose, but my wife now hates it. When the management realizes that women are uncomfortable there -- even in the early afternoon -- such that guys won't drink there either, the place might turn around.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

After a good meal, I had a bad experience when moving from a table with my family, who continued shopping, to the bar to watch a hockey game. I told the bartender that I wanted another long island but was dealing with my waiter. He brought me one and then 10 seconds later another one. After explaining I only wanted one he said it was my problem and shouldn't have ordered two drinks. I tried to explain the miscommunication but he was very confrontational and kept walking away. Very surprised over a $4 happy hour drink on an $75 bill. Ruined my afternoon.
Stay away.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We visited Moose's for a late breakfast and I had the Beach Boy Omlette because I love ham and pineapple! It was pretty good. I substituted the hashbrowns for a huge banana muffin. Lots of food, average tasting. I liked the balcony seating, nice view of Lahaina town from up there. It wasn't the cleanest place but not too disgusting. The server was nice enough.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Whenever we're on Maui, we always hit Moose's. Last night the special was Prime Rib for $15. Now granted I've had much better prime rib but I paid big bucks for it. This special was good and it was a huge meal, you won't leave hungry. It was happy hour so there are 6 or 7 drink specials. I had the Lava Flow which was only $4.... huge blended cocktail which was more like a dessert! The service is always very good with friendly staff. Wednesday night they have a burger special for $6.95. Are they crazy or what?! Back at our resort a burger and fries is $12.95 and they whack you another $1.50 for cheese. You can't go wrong with da Moose!

1  Thank SlotQueen655