“Amazing Experience”

Top Shot Spearfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With locations on Maui and Big Island, Top Shot Spearfishing is proud to offer the most unique and unforgettable spearfishing excursion in Hawaii. Our professional spearfishing guides train on safety, speargun control, freediving form, breathing techniques, fish identification, and many other techniques that will have you spearing fish quickly and safely. We are proud to focus our efforts on removing invasive fish from Hawaii's reefs and we are confident that your spearfishing excursion with Top Shot Spearfishing will be the experience of a lifetime!
Leduc, Canada
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Instructors are awesome! They pay very close attention to individuals experience levels and ensures the safety of even the most inexperienced snorkeler. Being safe and having a good time is what these guys are about.
I learned a ton about spearfishing in a very short period and got a chance to eat some local fish (Kole and Umaumulei) in the process.

Jeremy Sleg was awesome to chat with and was the reason o felt comfortable booking.
I would rebook with spearfishmaui.com in a heartbeat!

Visited April 2014

Missoula, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had to go back for seconds!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The guys at Spearfish Maui will get you in the water, free-diving, and shooting fish. My husband and I had no experience free-diving or spearfishing and very little experience being in the ocean (we live in Montana). After a couple hours of on-shore training and a few shaky initial dives, we able to feel comfortable and confident in the water thanks to the knowledge and experience that our guides (CJ, John, and Chris) shared with us. We were supposed to go on the second day of our trip, but the conditions were murky, so we rescheduled the dive portion after getting a top-notch on-shore lesson about free-diving, fish identification, and spear gun use from Keoni. Then we had such a great time when we finally got in the water that we joined them the next day. If we had more days left on our trip, I am sure we would have gone again! All you need when you show up is a good attitude, and these guys provide the rest (wet suits, snorkel gear, weight belts, gloves, fins). Just don't forget to put sunscreen on the back of your legs and arms ;)

The passion that all the Spearfish Maui guides have about spearfishing is contagious and inspiring.

Mahalo to Keoni, John, CJ, Chris, and Jeremy
We will be back as soon as possible!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Laura M
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Review from the locals”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Me and my buddy was just cruising outer islands for the weekend and decided to hit up spearfishing -- Keoni and Evelyn took us out and it was nothing short of ka 'oi.

The day we went out was some weird conditions for the pre-planned spot -- water was murky. They asked if we wanted to reschedule for a better day but we couldn't so instead they accommodated us and relocated a shorter distance from Lahaina where it turned out to be calm and clear. They really understood the water and knew the reef, where the runoff took the dirt and where the currents carried. By that point it was already reassuring that we were in safe hands.

Prior to getting in the water, we had a little informative session. Real easy, informal, natural vibe -- talk story. These guys really make you feel comfortable. We learned about the kind fish you like, regulations, safety, the basics. They taught really good techniques like how to breathe, how to maximize your underwater time and dive efficiently while pressurizing yourself. They go over fish behavior and what to expect. How to outsmart them. It seemed like a lot of information at the time but you seriously learn by doing and it's not a problem at all.

So then it was time to get in the water. They gave us our suits, dive belt, our gun and we were off. We swam out to the spot and on the way, Keoni and Evelyn would point out certain fish. Evelyn was taking pictures all along the way with her awesome camera so no worries if you are concerned about pictures. For a small price, I forget -- it was around 70-80 bucks -- she will share with you a file on dropbox and you can save your pictures she snapped.

Anyways -- we get in our spot. And from here on out it was just cruise and try to catch fish. For me and my friend, we're not strangers to water. The spearfishing guys - they gauge your on your level of comfort in the water and I can imagine if we were more timid, they would be there all the time. But my friend and I kind of went off in our own directions (of course always staying within range of the diving flag). They pointed out an easy fish to catch and both of us successfully snagged em. But after awhile you like a challenge and try to go for the smarter fishes which are super hard.

You see Keoni diving and hiding in the crevices of the coral creeping on fish. Eve is taking pictures and cruising around having fun. At one point, she brings this small he'e (octopus) to us. And we all have a moment playing with it, holding it. Taking pictures with it before releasing it. That was a pretty surreal moment actually, octopus are so much cuter when they tiny. She also comes up with other cool stuff, sea cucumbers, little reef suckers, but the octopus topped it.

We were out there for a while. I want to say like 3 hours or something. It was fun -- me and my friend caught one fish each. Keoni caught us two more of the fish we were trying to hunt for the past hours but failed and we got to take all of the fish home for eat (no extra charge). It was a great first time experience and to start off with the mana'o of people who have been doing it for years is the best way you should start off any hobby. Ho -- when we got back home to our island, we bought our own gear and are now taking what we learned and building on it.

For tourists -- these guys are the ones you want to go to for a spearfishing/diving experience. They are professional, they are the perfect guides, and you feel safe with them. For locals who like experience -- no be shame. There is no way that this will seem touristy or tacky -- the guys at Spearfish Maui are just trying to nurture and preserve safe and efficient spearfishing/diving technique. Plus they're super cool and fun. They get much respect. Thanks Keoni and Eve.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Branden S
Newark, Delaware
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great Experience, Keoni is the best!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I went spearfishing 3/4/2014. Keoni met the group and it began to rain hard so our instrucional session had to be rescheduled. They were very accomodating and even took me back to Lahaina as I had been dropped off because my wife was shopping in town. Later that morning I was contacted and Keoni was kind enough to reschedule me later that day and what a surprise to find out that I was getting a one on one lesson. He was very knowledgable about reef fish and spent time teaching breathing and free diving. After getting familiar with the speargun and reloading it we spent 2-3 hours spearfishing. Unfortunately the currents were a bit strong and the visibility not its best but what an experience. I had many opportunities to shoot but the better fish were a real challange to get near enough to spear. Great equipment and instruction, I will definately be back. I'm a Hunter Education Instructor back home and I felt completley prepared to safely go about spearfishing after Keoni's detailed instructional session. I will go again on my next visit to Maui.

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had a great time spearfishing. We saw plenty of fish & turtles. Jeremy was very informative about which fish you can actually shoot. Great technique and tricks how to free dive and lure in the fish you're trying to shoot. I would highly recommend this activity if you're into fishing. Worth a try even if not but do not expect to catch a ton of fish on your first day. Spearfishing takes time and lots of experience to master!! Good luck Jeremy. I hope you were able to expand your business to the Big Island.

Visited October 2013