“Outstanding experience”

Top Shot Spearfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With locations on Maui and Big Island, Top Shot Spearfishing is proud to offer the most unique and unforgettable spearfishing excursion in Hawaii. Our professional spearfishing guides train on safety, speargun control, freediving form, breathing techniques, fish identification, and many other techniques that will have you spearing fish quickly and safely. We are proud to focus our efforts on removing invasive fish from Hawaii's reefs and we are confident that your spearfishing excursion with Top Shot Spearfishing will be the experience of a lifetime!
Los Altos, California
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I went out for my 3rd time with Spearfish Maui. On this excursion I was guided by John and Chris, who were both EXCELLENT guides. They really made it a great experience, in several ways:
1. They were 100% focused on putting me on fish. There was just me and one other participant, and the 1:1 ratio was hard to beat!
2. They are incredibly expert teachers. It was fun to learn new techniques and push myself, while always feeling safe.
3. They have great equipment. I was provided a very comfortable full body wetsuit, a high quality speargun, gloves, etc and they would have given me fins, booties, mask, snorkel etc if I needed it
4. Have been out 3 times and gotten fish every time... but even if I did not get fish this would be worth it. What a bargain for a new experience, diving beautiful sites, and potentially getting dinner in the mix!

Overall, my very favorite activity on Maui, and I have done many.

Missoula, Montana
“A life-changing experience”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I were all set to go spearfishing on a Thursday, but the conditions were choppy and brown. Deferring to the expert opinion of Keoni to not test the murky marine waters, we went through an in-depth, on-shore training on gun safety, water safety, fish identification, hunting technique, free-diving technique, and ethical snorkeling and spearfishing, and rescheduled our dive for later in the week with no charge for Keoni's time and knowledge. Keoni is incredibly knowledgeable, and I hope to dive with him when I return to Maui. Good luck in AK K1!

On the following Sunday, we met up with John, Chris, and CJ, three talented and personable spearos that gave their knowledge of technique and diving freely and with kindness and patience. There was one other client so it was one-on-one, guide-to-cient for our dive.

John is an amazing guide with over 40 years of experience spearfishing. He instilled in me a sense that I could spear fish, and that's exactly what I did; 12 Kole, 1 umaumalei on my fist day! He worked with me the entire time I was in the water improving my technique and introducing me to different aspects of the complexities of spearfishing and free-diving in an advanced and accessible fashion. He is the man to look to for information on ethical reef diving on Maui. He's an amazing person.

His son, Chris, is also a great spearo, and he led the on-shore training on Sunday. We were not required to repeat the training; however, I wanted to refresh myself with the target species lecture again. Honestly, I wanted to absorb every bit of information about spearfishing that I could, and Spearfish Maui is an organization with employees that have a wealth of knowledge extending past spearfishing into ethical diving.

CJ worked with my wife, and she speared the biggest fish of the day! CJ is also a super-talented spearo, and he and John helped me with information about proper gear I would need for spearfishing lake trout and carp here at home in Montana.

The dive was so spectacular we scheduled a dive for Monday. The cost of repeat dives is reduced! Even if you don't spear a fish (they're wiley), you'll have an amazing time snorkeling and hunting, and you'll learn so much too. I saw turtles, a 6ft Morey, pufferfish, and the state fish, Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa. Try saying that five times fast! In my opinion, if you don't go spearfishing, you'd be missing out on the best experience on Maui. And Spearfish Maui is the best spearfish outfit on Maui! So do yourself a favor and choose right! Choose Spearfish Maui!

Mahalo, John, Chris, CJ, K1, and owner Jeremy! Where's that billfish footage you were telling me about, Jeremy!?

Peace outside!
-Mat

1 Thank graphroot
Leduc, Canada
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Instructors are awesome! They pay very close attention to individuals experience levels and ensures the safety of even the most inexperienced snorkeler. Being safe and having a good time is what these guys are about.
I learned a ton about spearfishing in a very short period and got a chance to eat some local fish (Kole and Umaumulei) in the process.

Jeremy Sleg was awesome to chat with and was the reason o felt comfortable booking.
I would rebook with spearfishmaui.com in a heartbeat!

Missoula, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had to go back for seconds!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The guys at Spearfish Maui will get you in the water, free-diving, and shooting fish. My husband and I had no experience free-diving or spearfishing and very little experience being in the ocean (we live in Montana). After a couple hours of on-shore training and a few shaky initial dives, we able to feel comfortable and confident in the water thanks to the knowledge and experience that our guides (CJ, John, and Chris) shared with us. We were supposed to go on the second day of our trip, but the conditions were murky, so we rescheduled the dive portion after getting a top-notch on-shore lesson about free-diving, fish identification, and spear gun use from Keoni. Then we had such a great time when we finally got in the water that we joined them the next day. If we had more days left on our trip, I am sure we would have gone again! All you need when you show up is a good attitude, and these guys provide the rest (wet suits, snorkel gear, weight belts, gloves, fins). Just don't forget to put sunscreen on the back of your legs and arms ;)

The passion that all the Spearfish Maui guides have about spearfishing is contagious and inspiring.

Mahalo to Keoni, John, CJ, Chris, and Jeremy
We will be back as soon as possible!

1 Thank Laura M
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
“Review from the locals”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Me and my buddy was just cruising outer islands for the weekend and decided to hit up spearfishing -- Keoni and Evelyn took us out and it was nothing short of ka 'oi.

The day we went out was some weird conditions for the pre-planned spot -- water was murky. They asked if we wanted to reschedule for a better day but we couldn't so instead they accommodated us and relocated a shorter distance from Lahaina where it turned out to be calm and clear. They really understood the water and knew the reef, where the runoff took the dirt and where the currents carried. By that point it was already reassuring that we were in safe hands.

Prior to getting in the water, we had a little informative session. Real easy, informal, natural vibe -- talk story. These guys really make you feel comfortable. We learned about the kind fish you like, regulations, safety, the basics. They taught really good techniques like how to breathe, how to maximize your underwater time and dive efficiently while pressurizing yourself. They go over fish behavior and what to expect. How to outsmart them. It seemed like a lot of information at the time but you seriously learn by doing and it's not a problem at all.

So then it was time to get in the water. They gave us our suits, dive belt, our gun and we were off. We swam out to the spot and on the way, Keoni and Evelyn would point out certain fish. Evelyn was taking pictures all along the way with her awesome camera so no worries if you are concerned about pictures. For a small price, I forget -- it was around 70-80 bucks -- she will share with you a file on dropbox and you can save your pictures she snapped.

Anyways -- we get in our spot. And from here on out it was just cruise and try to catch fish. For me and my friend, we're not strangers to water. The spearfishing guys - they gauge your on your level of comfort in the water and I can imagine if we were more timid, they would be there all the time. But my friend and I kind of went off in our own directions (of course always staying within range of the diving flag). They pointed out an easy fish to catch and both of us successfully snagged em. But after awhile you like a challenge and try to go for the smarter fishes which are super hard.

You see Keoni diving and hiding in the crevices of the coral creeping on fish. Eve is taking pictures and cruising around having fun. At one point, she brings this small he'e (octopus) to us. And we all have a moment playing with it, holding it. Taking pictures with it before releasing it. That was a pretty surreal moment actually, octopus are so much cuter when they tiny. She also comes up with other cool stuff, sea cucumbers, little reef suckers, but the octopus topped it.

We were out there for a while. I want to say like 3 hours or something. It was fun -- me and my friend caught one fish each. Keoni caught us two more of the fish we were trying to hunt for the past hours but failed and we got to take all of the fish home for eat (no extra charge). It was a great first time experience and to start off with the mana'o of people who have been doing it for years is the best way you should start off any hobby. Ho -- when we got back home to our island, we bought our own gear and are now taking what we learned and building on it.

For tourists -- these guys are the ones you want to go to for a spearfishing/diving experience. They are professional, they are the perfect guides, and you feel safe with them. For locals who like experience -- no be shame. There is no way that this will seem touristy or tacky -- the guys at Spearfish Maui are just trying to nurture and preserve safe and efficient spearfishing/diving technique. Plus they're super cool and fun. They get much respect. Thanks Keoni and Eve.

Visited January 2014