“OW Certification is hassle here”

Hawaiian Rafting Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaiian Rafting Adventures is a full service dive shop and boat dive operator working out of Lahaina on the island of Maui, Hawaii.We offer a range of scuba classes from PADI discover scuba to TDI technical rebreather diving. Our boat does daily trips to the island of Lanai and along the Maui coast. Come enjoy scuba diving with Hawaiian Rafting Adventures!
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Just noticed my review was responded to with bs, so feel compelled to weigh back in for the betterment of fellow travellers who rely on Trip Advisor.

The comments related to the terrible experience we had completing an Open Water certification course with these guys, after paying a small fortune for their program. I asked twice when I was there what needed to happen after completing my dives, and the only answer I got, from Mr. Juarez, was that they didn't handle it for referrals, and I had to take my log book back home and get that dive shop to process it.

Interesting that he now says I did't have all my paperwork with me. Interesting for two reasons. 1. I actually did have it all, having been told to have it with me when I went for my referral course. 2. It's mysterious that Mr. Juarez is even able to have an opinion on the matter, since he never actually asked for it, and therefore couldn't possibly know.

I now have correspondence from PADI, who were great advocates on my behalf, and their confirmation as to who was at fault, and it wasn't me. The run around has also been equated, by experienced divers I've talked to, to the stuff they've only ever heard about at dodgy Mexican and Thai shops.

Bottom line - new divers beware! I was ripped off and apparently lied to for the sake of saving $40, but I'm satisfied to know how many people I've been able to forewarn and steer elsewhere in these few short months, now that I'm active member of the dive community!! I hope the $40 was put to good use, given the over $10k and counting they've lost in new business.

3  Thank Geoffrey P
"dive companies"
in 3 reviews
"white tip reef"

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Had a family reunion beginning of august ...booked with them and was verbally accosted on the phone when I called to confirm. The person stated we will let you know if there is a cancellation and abruptly hung up. I called back and said may I speak to the person in charge there? He responded I'm the owner .. what part don't you understand ? Do I have to spell it out for you? Uh excuse me I said, I was hung up on when asking info on our very expensive trip we just paid you for , and im having second thoughts now that your so rude. He said there's plenty more where you come from lady!. Duh I'm a man and he knew I was a man but insulted me with great joy. I hung up and decided to go anyway since it was too late to book elsewhere. When we arrived they led us to the boat and we lined up to get on. All of a sudden my name was called by a small tattooed boy in a wife beater shirt. He said , step over here please. I'm the owner and we can refuse service to anyone . He turned towards the captain Steve, pointed to me and said that's the one. I said thats the one what? He said I can cancel your trip and you will be charged a fee for wasting our time ! I obviously was not interested in getting on the boat now and my wife was appalled as was I.
I said ok your the owner now refund me my money. He said your card Will be processed for 15% of the total trip price.that's when it got ugly. The small boy/man? Puffed out his little chest and said you will see it on your credit card statement and now get out of my face. He was in my face! My wife now intervened and said ok, can we just start over and work this out ? Little guy says look b**** its over ,now beat it back to wherever you came from, its people like you that ruin it on Maui for every one. My card was charged 167.34 for total b.s. I'm filing a small claims lawsuit .

2  Thank marclopez
Steve J, General Manager at Hawaiian Rafting Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Do not know who this person is and have never charged anybody for a trip they did not take and the charge he is claiming is not even accurate!
All of our customers are checked in at the shop all the equipment is then set up on the boat and they are then guided from the shop down to get on the boat. Who ever sent this is a fraud and is trying to discredit our shop for who knows why. You can see from our other trip reports we are a small family run business with most of our business generated by repeat customers. The advantage to paying with a credit card is it is very easy to deny the charges with your credit card company and get a refund but we have not received any charge backs from credit card purchases.
We would never have sent a customer to the boat directly with out having checked in at the shop and fitted them with equipment and set it up on the boat before walking them down to the ramp so the story does not ring true and does not follow our procedures for our trips.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Hawaiian Rafting Adventures/Dive Maui was the absolute best dive experience I have ever had. I have had the opportunity to dive throughout Australia, the Caribbean, and French Polynesia as well as other parts of Hawaii (and even Maui on past trips), and this is by far the most professional, knowledgable, and all around best company I have ever had the pleasure to dive with.

I can’t thank them enough- I was absolutely thrilled with the experience. Captain Steve, Jason, and Micah absolutely know what they are doing- they know the best dive spots, accurately read conditions, share their wealth of knowledge about the area, diving, and marine life, and moreover just take great care to ensure that everyone is having the best possible experience. Jason even let me borrow his camera housing for my GoPro- though Captain Steve’s photos are still lightyears better then mine.

The open air raft was excellent for someone like me who tends to get a bit boat sick on other vessels, and the group was limited to a nice intimate size- I hate getting lost in the shuffle of 24+ people on a boat followed by a dive in which you feel surrounded. Everything about Hawaiian Rafting adventures is perfect- if you are trying to decide between the millions of pamphlets and suggestions, this is definitely the shop to choose.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

If you want to dive Lanai with a captian and dive master that knows exactly where to take you and find the things you want to see, this is the shop you want. I had read several reviews when looking for an operator and choose to dive with Steve and his crew. Steve has a passion for diving and for him you can tell his boat is more than just a sorce of income. When you dive with him he is almost obcessed with finding all these amazing critters and fish and he is passionate about the marine life. I found myself just following Steve to see what he would find next. I woul highly recomend them if you want to dive Lanai. They only dive monday through friday but you will get your moneys worth. The crew, Nick and Micha are also great and cater to your needs wonderfully. Sean in the shop is also very helpful. It is my understanding they do shore dives also but the boat dives to Lanai are the best.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 September 2013

After a long hiatus from diving my wife and I decided it was time to go again. Before Children, we dove alot, but changes in gear and simply being rusty had us looking for an operator who would both get us up to speed and give us a great experience. Well we found it. We started with a simple beach dive one evening with JJ, which went very well. JJ did an excellent job orientating us to the gear as well as taking us to a good beach dive spot where we had lots to see. The next day we went out on the boat with Steve who is clearly competent at his job. The pre-dive briefing was excellent and we followed the script on both dives. Steve was very knowledgeable about the fish and aquatic life, managed to find a lot of cool stuff including eels, octopus, rays, sharks and uncommon fish. (Hint, stay close to him and he will point out lots of things)

The company was very professional, we felt very good going with them. Nothing fancy but good stuff. While the deepest we went was 65', they do go down to about 110' on some dives. We saw plenty at 65' max which gave us a bottom time of something like 53 minutes.