“Awesome 90 Minute Outrigger Experience”
Review of Maui Paddle Sports

Maui Paddle Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Maui from the local perspective. Take part in a unique Hawaiian tradition and feel the thrill of paddling an outrigger canoe. Enjoy a leisurely pace as you view Maui’s incredible coastline from the water. Your guides will tell the story of Polynesian navigation while searching for the ‘honu’ or Hawaiian green sea turtle and in the right season humpback whales! Take a ride in a traditional Hawaiian outrigger canoe- enjoy breathtaking views of Maui, Molokai & Lanai. Families as well as individuals and couples can all participate for unforgettable memories & incredible photo opportunities.
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We booked the Outrigger Canoe Rides at a small stand makai of the Westin in North Kaanapali, just along the beach walk. We had excellent and enthusiastic guides and were fortunate to see large sea turtles and entered a very large pod of Spinner Dolphins. The latter is rarely expereinced so we were very fortunate on our early morining paddle. The guides are friendly and helpful; they do expect a certain amount of agility and common sense about safety. I would not go out if one has mobility problems and/or cannot swim. If you enjoy paddling, kayaking or dragon-boating, this is a great Maui experience. It is moderately expensive but not out of line with other Maui attractions. There are sea bags for cameras but leave everything else behind.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was likely my favorite activity we did on Maui.

First of all, Amy was really nice and helpful, both on the phone in setting everything up and in person. When we got to the beach we hung around for a few minutes while we waited for the guys to get back from their first trip of the morning. Then a few of the guys came over and showed us in about 2 minutes what we would have to do...row! They were really laid back about everything...no pressure, just a focus on having a great time.

Once we got out on the water, our guide gave us a wealth of information on real Hawaiian culture...it was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for - to be educated and not just treated like an outsider/mainlander. These guys were super cool and really knowledgeable. I really enjoyed catching the momentum of the ocean and being in sync with everyone on the wa'a (outrigger). Feeling the energy of the ocean was the same as the feeling of catching your first wave...indescribably awesome.

We didn't see any dolphins or fish, but we did see a pretty massive sea turtle!

I highly recommend spending some time on the water with this outfit - very well run and worth every penny.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My sister and I are visually impaired so there are very few things we are able to do. We met Jamie in front of our hotel and he told us about the Canoe trip, we signed up, best thing we did all week! We went out on the 8am trip along Kaanapali beach, we saw turtles, heard about the Hawaiian culture, paddled about 3 miles, saw Black Rock then headed back in, then it happened! They spotted a school of spinner dolphins, paddle they yelled and we did, we got into the middle of the school and stayed with them for about 15 minutes. The dolphins were jumping and playing all around us, even my sister and I could see some of them. It was wonderful! We will do this again and again.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was our favorite excursion. Mike and Jamie were excellent guides and we really enjoyed their sense of humor and stories. I expected to see a few turtles and enjoy a nice paddle, but it far exceeded my expectations. We were lucky to see some spinner dolphins out in the channel and it was fun to go a little further out into slightly bigger waves. I felt totally safe and confident in our guides abilities and knowledge. We had 3 generations on our canoe and it was a lot of fun for all of us. I did not expect to learn so much about the Hawaiian lifestyle, culture, philosophies, and language. Not a tourist trap tour, this was the real deal and one of the highlights of my trip. I highly recommend them.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We heard about this trip at the resort that we were staying at. A great professional staff with very energetic and competent guides. The outriggers are very nice and easy to paddle with instruction from the guides. (If you are a little challenged in this area, don't worry, they won't press you.) We had a great tour, seeing numerous sea turtles and nice reefs, as well as a rare sighting of a nice group of dolphins right along side our canoes. The guides are awesome in their friendly, helpful explanations of their Hawaiian/Polynesian culture and background and history as to how these islands were settled many generations ago. Their enthusiasm for their native land and the ocean that surrounds the islands is contagious. Definitely a must do!