“Local Fare, Great Flavors, Good Prices”

Ono Kau Kau Mixed Plate
Ranked #83 of 264 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Chinese, Hawaiian
Dining options: After-hours
Description: This is a new restaurant that just opened on September 24, 2010
Denver
“Local Fare, Great Flavors, Good Prices”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a place where the locals frequent. They have a large menu and 4 specials daily. As we came to expect, there is always rice on the plate. The servings are huge. They serve excellent curry. It is a good meal with good service and the price is right. Be fair warned - there is limited seating inside.

Visited October 2013

Stayton, OR
“Outstanding Plate Lunch at a terrific price”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Okay, I'll admit it - after having been stationed for four years in Hawaii in the 80s, I really seriously missed authentic Hawaiian Plate lunch. This place had good reviews on another, restaurant specific review site, so when I was in Ka'anapali, I decided to give it a try.
It was just what I'd remembered - Chicken Katsu, some Macaroni Salad, and a lot of rice. My wife had a BBQ Beef and something else combo, and the total bill was just around $20. For that you might be able to get hot dogs and share an order of fries at a hotel restaurant. We ended up saving half the food for lunch a couple days later, there was that much of it. Pretty good dipping sauce for the Katsu as well.
The first time we took another family along and their report must have been pretty good, because later that week we were asked to take another couple in our party there as well - this time my wife and I split a Teri Beef and an additional order of Mac Salad, and other than wishing the beef was cut up in to a bit smaller pieces, we thought it was really good as well. The other couple got the Jumbo Garlic Shrimp and one of the curry plates, and reported back that they were delicious. After seeing the Garlic Shrimp I wish we'd stayed longer just so I could go back and try those.
So if you are looking for something other than the big fancy (expensive) restaurant experience in the Ka'anapali area, give Ono Kau Kau a try - I'm going to bet you'll like it.

• Visited October 2013
Vancouver
“Went because of high reviews and did not enjoy!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We went one night and picked up 4 plates to take out and of the 4 only one was close to good. Don't know what the fuss is. Go to Aloha Mixed Plate or Star Noodle to have a really good experience.

Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Hands Down Favourite for Family Meals”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The name means Good Food, and it is. Something for everyone. Burgers and fries for the kids, great mixed plate or chinese style food for the adults. The honey glazed shrimp was absolutely delicious!

Visited August 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“ONO!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed next door, had to have some local fare. The locomoco is outstanding, and the BBQ chicken was great. Very clean, neat, and they had great service. Only 4 tables, so get there early, or you might have to wait. We will be back!

• Visited August 2013