“Saw Whales!”

Kahana Beach Resort
m1ssx
“Saw Whales!”
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed for 2 days at the Kahana Beach Resort and the view was excellent! We were on the 11th floor and our room directly faced the ocean. We saw several humpback whales in the morning while sitting on the balcony! The beach was right there and we fell asleep listening to the waves. It was very quiet and serene. The room itself was pretty clean, except you have to pay extra for each day they come to clean the room. Our only complaint is that the bathroom was kind of small. We didn't use the pool either because it was nothing spectacular (just play at the beach). Other than that, we loved it! :)

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Pool and extra amenities were boring, but basic
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2008

Date of Stay: August 29-September 6, 2007
Reviewer: Amanda, Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

My husband and I decided to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon and were delighted with our experience at the Kahana Beach Resort! As inexperienced travellers anyway, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was a good size for two of us and the view of the ocean was great (this was also my first trip to the ocean)! The resort is in Lahaina, a great little place with a good amount of shopping, great cultural experiences, and fantastic restaurants. The resort itself doesn't have a restaurant in it, but it's sister resort right next door does, and it's open nice and early for a reasonably priced breakfast practically on the beach. Another great quality about this resort is the private beach. There wasn't one day when we couldn't find a spot on the beach, at any time of the day, and it was always clean too. We'll definitely go back again, soon!

• Liked — Private Beach, Ocean View
  • Disliked — The murphy bed.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda_kiel
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 March 2008

First, let me mention that the Kahana Beach Resort is NOT located in Lahaina. It is not a big deal, but it is well north of Lahaina, it is north of Kaanapali, it is north of Honokowai. It is between Honokowai and Kapalua. Really, it is closer to Kapalua and is closest to the Kapalua West Maui Airport. If you don't believe me, look on the map yourself!

This is not a big deal if you have a rental car. But, if you are using public transportation or walking everywhere, then it would suck to think you will be in Lahaina (which is a beautiful town, well worth exploring) and find out you are miles from any of the "action" you may be seeking. Lahaina is a happenin' place, lots to see and do, day and night. You must go to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and do for a nice walking tour (find one on-line and print it off). I found a couple online at http://www.hawaiischoolreports.com/lahaina/lhistorictour.htm
and http://www.frommers.com/destinations/maui/0015010008.html
I used the Fromer's one.

Just plan to spend at least one full day in Lahaina.. be there for breakfast and spend a day checking out the shops. They have some awesome restaurants, lots of galleries and shops. Avoid being there when the cruise ships are docked.. it can be quite crowded. Get your souveneirs and "bring-home gifts" at the Super Kmart near the big Airport (in Kahului).. they have the very best prices on everything you will find in the shops.. tee shirts, macadamia nuts, hula skirts, Kona coffee, you name it.

Back to the resort.. We booked our stay at Kahana Beach through our timeshare. The timeshare check in day in Wednesday and checkout is the following Wednesday. In my experience, it sort of causes a bit of a cluster, so we flew in a day earlier and stayed at a place in Kihei for $99 for the one night with a garden room with a partial beach view.

Anyhow, the next day, we drove down to the Kei Lani Resort in Wailea.. the one place I knew had the "classic" swim-up bar and those big hollowed-out pineapple drinks (which my g/f wanted to do, so badly). So we went to Kei Lani and acted like we owned the place, hung out at the pool for about 3 hours and spent $50 on drinks.

Then we drove up the coast, checked out some boutiques (the Wailea Shops are like Rodeo Drive in Hollywood) to the Kahana and checked it around 6 pm. No lines, no crowds. We put our bags up in our room, put on our swimsuits and went down to watch the sunset on the beach.

The Kahana Beach Resort is a no-frills place. I did see signs for an ice cream social and some other activities, but we were too busy to participate. We checked out the grounds at the adjacent hotels and we didn't even try the bar or restaurant at the Sands, next door. I agree with others, go to "Dollies' Sports Bar, about a 3 minute walk up and across the road. Great food, cool staff and they have big TV with sports playing all day. A bit further up the road is a strip mall with a McDonalds, an Outback and other restaurants and shops. We went to the one "fancy" steakhouse there (not Outback, the one upstairs by the elevator, I think it is Roy's) and it was quite overpriced. The service was awful. The food was pretty good, but not worth the prices. The best thing at the mall was the coffee shop. We went there for a coffee and muffin (or bagel) each morning and I was able to use the free wi-fi with my laptop to keep up on my e-mail. I limited myself to 15 minutes a day.. it is a vacation after all!

So again, back to the Kahana Resort. We never did use the pool. We basically just crashed in the room. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Try to get a room on the ocean side, above the 4th floor. The view is spectacular, particularly at sunset. It was nice to be able to watch the parasailers in the heavy winds, really rockin' and rollin', wile we were cozy in our room!

Speaking of wind.. plan your water (ocean and beach) activities in the morning. The trandwinds start to kick up around 2 pm and by 4 pm, they are in full swing until sundown. It can be very choppy on the water in the afternoons, so unless that is your thing, do the morning trips.

Speaking of trips, we went over to Boss Frog (located across the street, and down a bit, next to Dollie's Place. Go in and ask about coupons and the $100 timeshare deal. They give you $100 cash (or credit toward activities) and they sign you up for all of your excursions at 1/2 price (2 for 1). We did the Hana Bus tour (a must-do but get the bus that does 10 to 12 person busses with Captain's Chairs, not the 20 person bench-seat busses. Big difference! We also went on the Molokini and Turtle Bay snorkel trip (again, the early launch) that was hosted on the Boss Frog II. Again, all of these were quite reasonable at half-price and the Boss Frog guys know what is best in the tours and what is a waste of $$ or time.

So, we got the $100 credit toward our trips and paid for the balance with a credit card. They also take a credit card imprint for the $100 and the difference in the prices. Once you go to the timeshare presentation (ours was at the Sands), then you get a receipt that you bring back and they give you that imprint to tear up. The presentation was about 20 minutes and included lunch. We were not interested, but we let them do their song and dance while we ate, then we asked for a tour of the grounds and got our receipt and left. All-told, we were done in under 45 minutes, got lunch and we made and saved roughly $350. No pressure at all.

So, all in all, I highly recommend the Kahana Beach Resort for those looking for a quiet place to retreat from the crowds. I suggest you get a rental car becasue other than the small mall, Dollie's Sports Bar and Boss Frog's, everything else (the marinas, the fine dining, the activities) are all a short drive away.

If you like really good (I mean world-class) sushi, I do recommend you go up to Kapalua and check out "Sansei" it is a fantastic seafood restaurant & sushi bar in the Kapalua Shops (mall). A bit pricy, but well worth it! If you are going to go to Moose McGillycuddy´s Pub and Cafe in Lahaina, get those coupons at Boss Frog's! I know this seems like a big Boss Frog's ad, but I must say, they really helped to make our trip fantastic and they do have some killer offers/deals and coupons!

Enjoy your trip and be sure to post a review!!

• Liked — Quiet place located away from the crowds. Right on the beach.
  • Disliked — Limited parking and no concierge service to speak of. No internet in the room
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MM4L
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 13 March 2008

For the price, there is no better place to stay on Maui than Kahana Beach Resort. I went with my family in July of 2007 and got an ocean view room and absolutely loved it. We were on the second floor, and every day we fell asleep and woke up to the sound of the sea. The sunset there was gorgeous as well. The kitchenette was stocked with all sorts of utensils and using it certainly saved us money on the pricey food.

Service was exceptional. When we checked in we found there were not enough blankets so we called the front desk and requested some. Even though this was at 11 PM and no one was manning the desk, they sent someone up within 30 minutes! The maid doesn't come around everyday (I think it's like twice a week) but that wasn't really a huge issue with us.

The beach next to the hotel is pretty rocky and murky, but it is a good place to slash around in after a day touring Maui.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 6 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 9 days while we were on our Honeymoon, I had tried to stay next door at the Sands where we own a 2 bedroom. Fortunately they were booked! I thought that this was much nicer, smaller, but nicer. IT was quiet and romantic enough. Bec. we were on our Honeymoon, we appreciated our privacy...we were in a studio on the 3rd floor and it was as though we were the only ones there. We didn't spend much time in the unit, as we were out by 6am daily exploring, diving and snorkeling. We typically got back took a dip in the ocean then had cocktails on our lanaii, watching the sunset before dinner. At night we would leave the sliders open to listen to the Ocean all night, great breeze!

THe following year we went back for a week here and our week at the Sands...I like this one better for singles!!! We used the amenities next door..ie bar, pool, beach etc..... THe staff were soooo helpful and accomodating, as the week went on, we were greeted by name!! THe only negative is the parking, we usually came home late and had to park elsewhere most of the time, didn't really mind, it wasn't too far and we needed to walk off dinner. I would recommend staying here!!

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2004
Florida
Reviewed 31 December 2007

My Husband and I got married in Hawaii Nov 2007, both our first time to Hawaii, we were very impressed with Kahana Beach. We're the kind of people who like to stay away form huge resort and "touristy" locations, we really like to see the place that we visit. Kahana Beach offered us a beautiful view from our ocean side studio- clean, comfortable, spacious. It was more low key without bustling crowds. We were able to enjoy the pool, spa, and beach with just the right amount of people around. The staff was very friendly and their concierge was super helpful and accomodating. We had the most wonderful vacation and we can't wait to go back. We'll defientley be staying at Kahana Beach in the future.

• Liked — spacious and comfortable
  • Disliked — the blinds
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here in July 2007. I was a bit nervous going, because I had read mixed reviews, people saying that the rooms weren't very clean, decorated badly, bad staff. Well...those people are wrong, or should have stayed at the Marriott if they wanted 5-star rooms (with ridiculous prices).

The Kahana Beach Resort is peaceful and quiet (no one ever bothered us...no one harassing us for time-share seminars, etc.) I only ever saw one or two people out by the pool or hot tub. (The pool is small (but clean), and seriously, did you really come to Maui to go swimming in a pool? But the hot tub is nice, too.)

I was pleasantly suprised by the room. We stayed in a studio and it was plenty of space We were barely in our room anyway, always out and about. The Murphy bed was kind of quirky and cool. There is a cute little kitchenette, nice TV, DVD Player. The room and bathroom were clean, I never felt grossed out.

The best was the view from the lanai. So beautiful, it looked right out onto the beach and sunset. We ate cereal out there every morning, it was so peaceful. We left the doors open at night, and all you could hear were the waves on the shore. I didn't hear any neighbors (no screaming kids, no drunk idiots)...it felt secluded and nice.

Parking seemed to fill up fast, but there's a little public lot next door, and you could also park at the Sands next door as a last resort. But we never really had a problem.

Kahana is a nice little area- the shopping center up the street was convenient- a couple of restaurants (Roy's!), coffee shop, etc. It was nice to be a little farther up, instead of in the heart of Resort row in Kaanapali. There was no restaurant at the resort, but that was better, because it made us get out and try different places (go to Mama's Fish House- it's seriously amazing. I'm not a seafood person, but I ate their Sashimi and LOVED it!)

Overall, this is a great little place to stay. I miss it, and Maui.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple