“On top of the ocean!”

Kahana Beach Resort
Nesbit, Mississippi
“On top of the ocean!”
Reviewed 19 May 2008

All I can say is WOW. We just returned, and we were completely surprised by this condo. From their website's pictures, it looks like the beach is kind of yucky and small, but nothing could be farther from the truth! There is plenty of room on the beach for everyone to have plenty of room. There is good snorkeling right outside your condo!

Amazing views of Lanai and the sunet, until the vog got too thick. Vog only affected our viewing pleasure, not the air quality as far as we could tell.

Kahana Beach is a quieter beach about 5 minutes north of Lahaina. There are plenty of little shops and grocery stores to keep you stocked, and it is very close to a few of the best restaurants on Maui. The rooms do not have a full kitchen, but we did keep drinks and snacks in the room easily in the large refridgerator. We stayed in a studio, which I think all the studios have a beach-front balcony. The sound of the ocean is like sleeping to music! We were not bothered at all by other sounds in the night - the ocean was so loud, I think it drowned everything else out!

We also slept on a Murphy bed. Yes, it was hard, but it slept fine. We were exhausted every day and hardly noticed the bed at all, other than to fall into it and listen to the ocean.

The staff was nice, and we stayed away from the activities desk, as they just wanted to sell us a timeshare next door. There is no restaruant but there is a small one at the Sands of Kahana next door - do not eat there for dinner! So many other nice places to eat for that kind of money.

The parking lot was always full, but we hardly saw any of the other people. It was a refreshing vacation and a lovely place to sleep away frm the hustle and bustle of Lahaina. Please email me if you'd like to hear about what we did on the island. It was the best vacation we've ever had!

• Liked — Ocean views and sounds
  • Disliked — No bar/restaurant, murphy bed was hard
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennirust

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Just got back from the Kahana Beach Resort. I would have to say that the view was totally awsome and the location is good, just the resort is really pretty old.

We had a studio so we slept on a murphy bed which was pretty hard and my son slept on the sofa sleeper. There are no restaurants, no vending machines if you happen to want a drink. Pretty much not a place if you have children.

The pool is very small and the above ground jacuzzi wasn't really what you would expect. Overall, I wouldn't say don't go there, but if you had kids it is not a place where you would want to take your family unless you plan on leaving the resort every day to be at the beach.

• Liked — Located on the Beach
  • Disliked — Beds, pool,
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank wabocabo
m1ssx
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed for 2 days at the Kahana Beach Resort and the view was excellent! We were on the 11th floor and our room directly faced the ocean. We saw several humpback whales in the morning while sitting on the balcony! The beach was right there and we fell asleep listening to the waves. It was very quiet and serene. The room itself was pretty clean, except you have to pay extra for each day they come to clean the room. Our only complaint is that the bathroom was kind of small. We didn't use the pool either because it was nothing spectacular (just play at the beach). Other than that, we loved it! :)

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Pool and extra amenities were boring, but basic
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2008

Date of Stay: August 29-September 6, 2007
Reviewer: Amanda, Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

My husband and I decided to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon and were delighted with our experience at the Kahana Beach Resort! As inexperienced travellers anyway, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was a good size for two of us and the view of the ocean was great (this was also my first trip to the ocean)! The resort is in Lahaina, a great little place with a good amount of shopping, great cultural experiences, and fantastic restaurants. The resort itself doesn't have a restaurant in it, but it's sister resort right next door does, and it's open nice and early for a reasonably priced breakfast practically on the beach. Another great quality about this resort is the private beach. There wasn't one day when we couldn't find a spot on the beach, at any time of the day, and it was always clean too. We'll definitely go back again, soon!

• Liked — Private Beach, Ocean View
  • Disliked — The murphy bed.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda_kiel
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 March 2008

First, let me mention that the Kahana Beach Resort is NOT located in Lahaina. It is not a big deal, but it is well north of Lahaina, it is north of Kaanapali, it is north of Honokowai. It is between Honokowai and Kapalua. Really, it is closer to Kapalua and is closest to the Kapalua West Maui Airport. If you don't believe me, look on the map yourself!

This is not a big deal if you have a rental car. But, if you are using public transportation or walking everywhere, then it would suck to think you will be in Lahaina (which is a beautiful town, well worth exploring) and find out you are miles from any of the "action" you may be seeking. Lahaina is a happenin' place, lots to see and do, day and night. You must go to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and do for a nice walking tour (find one on-line and print it off). I found a couple online at http://www.hawaiischoolreports.com/lahaina/lhistorictour.htm
and http://www.frommers.com/destinations/maui/0015010008.html
I used the Fromer's one.

Just plan to spend at least one full day in Lahaina.. be there for breakfast and spend a day checking out the shops. They have some awesome restaurants, lots of galleries and shops. Avoid being there when the cruise ships are docked.. it can be quite crowded. Get your souveneirs and "bring-home gifts" at the Super Kmart near the big Airport (in Kahului).. they have the very best prices on everything you will find in the shops.. tee shirts, macadamia nuts, hula skirts, Kona coffee, you name it.

Back to the resort.. We booked our stay at Kahana Beach through our timeshare. The timeshare check in day in Wednesday and checkout is the following Wednesday. In my experience, it sort of causes a bit of a cluster, so we flew in a day earlier and stayed at a place in Kihei for $99 for the one night with a garden room with a partial beach view.

Anyhow, the next day, we drove down to the Kei Lani Resort in Wailea.. the one place I knew had the "classic" swim-up bar and those big hollowed-out pineapple drinks (which my g/f wanted to do, so badly). So we went to Kei Lani and acted like we owned the place, hung out at the pool for about 3 hours and spent $50 on drinks.

Then we drove up the coast, checked out some boutiques (the Wailea Shops are like Rodeo Drive in Hollywood) to the Kahana and checked it around 6 pm. No lines, no crowds. We put our bags up in our room, put on our swimsuits and went down to watch the sunset on the beach.

The Kahana Beach Resort is a no-frills place. I did see signs for an ice cream social and some other activities, but we were too busy to participate. We checked out the grounds at the adjacent hotels and we didn't even try the bar or restaurant at the Sands, next door. I agree with others, go to "Dollies' Sports Bar, about a 3 minute walk up and across the road. Great food, cool staff and they have big TV with sports playing all day. A bit further up the road is a strip mall with a McDonalds, an Outback and other restaurants and shops. We went to the one "fancy" steakhouse there (not Outback, the one upstairs by the elevator, I think it is Roy's) and it was quite overpriced. The service was awful. The food was pretty good, but not worth the prices. The best thing at the mall was the coffee shop. We went there for a coffee and muffin (or bagel) each morning and I was able to use the free wi-fi with my laptop to keep up on my e-mail. I limited myself to 15 minutes a day.. it is a vacation after all!

So again, back to the Kahana Resort. We never did use the pool. We basically just crashed in the room. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Try to get a room on the ocean side, above the 4th floor. The view is spectacular, particularly at sunset. It was nice to be able to watch the parasailers in the heavy winds, really rockin' and rollin', wile we were cozy in our room!

Speaking of wind.. plan your water (ocean and beach) activities in the morning. The trandwinds start to kick up around 2 pm and by 4 pm, they are in full swing until sundown. It can be very choppy on the water in the afternoons, so unless that is your thing, do the morning trips.

Speaking of trips, we went over to Boss Frog (located across the street, and down a bit, next to Dollie's Place. Go in and ask about coupons and the $100 timeshare deal. They give you $100 cash (or credit toward activities) and they sign you up for all of your excursions at 1/2 price (2 for 1). We did the Hana Bus tour (a must-do but get the bus that does 10 to 12 person busses with Captain's Chairs, not the 20 person bench-seat busses. Big difference! We also went on the Molokini and Turtle Bay snorkel trip (again, the early launch) that was hosted on the Boss Frog II. Again, all of these were quite reasonable at half-price and the Boss Frog guys know what is best in the tours and what is a waste of $$ or time.

So, we got the $100 credit toward our trips and paid for the balance with a credit card. They also take a credit card imprint for the $100 and the difference in the prices. Once you go to the timeshare presentation (ours was at the Sands), then you get a receipt that you bring back and they give you that imprint to tear up. The presentation was about 20 minutes and included lunch. We were not interested, but we let them do their song and dance while we ate, then we asked for a tour of the grounds and got our receipt and left. All-told, we were done in under 45 minutes, got lunch and we made and saved roughly $350. No pressure at all.

So, all in all, I highly recommend the Kahana Beach Resort for those looking for a quiet place to retreat from the crowds. I suggest you get a rental car becasue other than the small mall, Dollie's Sports Bar and Boss Frog's, everything else (the marinas, the fine dining, the activities) are all a short drive away.

If you like really good (I mean world-class) sushi, I do recommend you go up to Kapalua and check out "Sansei" it is a fantastic seafood restaurant & sushi bar in the Kapalua Shops (mall). A bit pricy, but well worth it! If you are going to go to Moose McGillycuddy´s Pub and Cafe in Lahaina, get those coupons at Boss Frog's! I know this seems like a big Boss Frog's ad, but I must say, they really helped to make our trip fantastic and they do have some killer offers/deals and coupons!

Enjoy your trip and be sure to post a review!!

• Liked — Quiet place located away from the crowds. Right on the beach.
  • Disliked — Limited parking and no concierge service to speak of. No internet in the room
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MM4L
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 13 March 2008

For the price, there is no better place to stay on Maui than Kahana Beach Resort. I went with my family in July of 2007 and got an ocean view room and absolutely loved it. We were on the second floor, and every day we fell asleep and woke up to the sound of the sea. The sunset there was gorgeous as well. The kitchenette was stocked with all sorts of utensils and using it certainly saved us money on the pricey food.

Service was exceptional. When we checked in we found there were not enough blankets so we called the front desk and requested some. Even though this was at 11 PM and no one was manning the desk, they sent someone up within 30 minutes! The maid doesn't come around everyday (I think it's like twice a week) but that wasn't really a huge issue with us.

The beach next to the hotel is pretty rocky and murky, but it is a good place to slash around in after a day touring Maui.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 6 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 9 days while we were on our Honeymoon, I had tried to stay next door at the Sands where we own a 2 bedroom. Fortunately they were booked! I thought that this was much nicer, smaller, but nicer. IT was quiet and romantic enough. Bec. we were on our Honeymoon, we appreciated our privacy...we were in a studio on the 3rd floor and it was as though we were the only ones there. We didn't spend much time in the unit, as we were out by 6am daily exploring, diving and snorkeling. We typically got back took a dip in the ocean then had cocktails on our lanaii, watching the sunset before dinner. At night we would leave the sliders open to listen to the Ocean all night, great breeze!

THe following year we went back for a week here and our week at the Sands...I like this one better for singles!!! We used the amenities next door..ie bar, pool, beach etc..... THe staff were soooo helpful and accomodating, as the week went on, we were greeted by name!! THe only negative is the parking, we usually came home late and had to park elsewhere most of the time, didn't really mind, it wasn't too far and we needed to walk off dinner. I would recommend staying here!!

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2004