“Great hotel more like a condo”
Review of Royal Kahana

Royal Kahana
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying here. We were upgraded to a bigger suite for free. It was like living in your own home. Great view of the ocean. Very convenient to just put on your swimwear and go swimming in the ocean out back. They lit torches at night. We also won a trip to a performance in Lahaina. In a quiet area not far from shopping. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013
OutriggerRoyal K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Aloha LeadSledder,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay.

rkr@outrigger.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at the Royal Kahana for a few days in November. I had seen a lot of mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, and was a little nervous! The staff were very friendly. In room 712, we had sunshine from about 10am until sunset, and the weather was gorgeous every day but one. We overlooked the pool, which sometimes had lots of screaming kids and babies, which was a bit obnoxious. (However, to have a room on the other side of the building means you get zero sun!) We only heard our upstairs neighbors twice, when theY moved a chair or two around. Unfortunately, there was also construction going on on the building opposite us. This could've been much worse, in my opinion, and we were simply over the moon waking up and going to sleep listening to the crashing waves. The bedroom had great big windows with blackout curtains and it's own TV.

The flat was well equipped and comfortable. The furniture wasn't aesthetically pleasing, but was comfortable enough, and the bed & pillows were very comfortable. There is a big walk-through closet that connects the bedroom to the bathroom. The toilet clogged once, but we were able to fix it ourselves pretty easily. The shower's temperature seemed to fluctuate daily, but that could be due to the maintenance they were doing (one day, they shut off the water for a few hours, but we were given plenty of notice).

The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, cups, glasses, dishwasher, can opener, corkscrew, coffee pot, kettle, toaster, colander.... Just about everything! Not oil or anything of that nature, but we just popped to Safeway and stocked up on the basics. Be aware that the cost of EVERYTHING will shock you. In AZ, I pay about $0.90 for a gallon of water.... here, we paid $3.50 or more.

We didn't get to much exploring in the way of nearby restaurants since we cooked for ourselves most nights, so I can't be much help as to what is nearby.

I think the worst part about 712 was being right across from the elevator. In the dining room & bathroom are thin glass slats you can open for ventilation, but closing them doesn't block out any sound. People constantly walking to the lift having animated conversations that you can hear word for word (and, of course, shouting children) can be tiresome!

Our first choice was the Kuleana Resorts because we thought it would be quieter, more private, less kids, but we didn't book fast enough. We were very happy with
the Royal Kahana Outrigger and would happily stay here again (in an oceanfront, south side of the building ONLY, I see no point being here if you don't have the sun) but if we come back to Maui, we might look into a more private area.

The only reason we gave 4 of 5 stars is because of the noise, which challenged our relaxation (as I write, I listen to heavy machinery back up at 06:53 on a Sunday!) The R.K.O. exceed out expectations in many ways.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JustJo26

Aloha Jocelyn W,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. You have provided a lot of information that may be helpful to other guests. I will be sure to pass along your comment about the staff and the condition of the unit to management.

I apologize the noise was too much for you. Please be sure to contact the Front Desk staff the next time you stay if you are unhappy with your unit as they will try their best to accommodate you. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Upon check-in the clerk was on a personal call and continued to be for a few minutes before we were assisted. There were two occasions which required us to call the desk and were met with rudeness. A glass was broken in our room and it took almost 2 hours for housekeeping to deal with it. On a positive note , the grounds have been well maintained. Pool refreshing and the BBQ grill very clean daily. We would not stay at this property again.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank pdbrown4
Ponoloa, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Aloha Pdbrown81,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize the service did not meet your expectations. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay at the property.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

stayed here for a girls trip in November for 10 days and it was really beautiful. the view is amazing - the beach is just a few steps outside the lobby and e oceanview is ENDLESS! we rented through vrbo.com so the transaction was smooth and hassle free - didn't even have to check in! free parking is a bonus, but there are a handful of good restaurants in walking distance (dollie's has the BEST pizza and kalua pork sandwich) and there's a general store as well with everything u could want from beach umbrellas to produce to yummy Hawaiian candy and even souvenirs. we took cabs to front st and kaanapali and it as easy and cheap ;) good value for the price and nice mellow beach :) only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because the construction going on on the building next door but it's minimal...just early in the morning lol.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank joti d
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed oct 13 to the 20th in an ocean view studio on the 12th floor. My husband, ten year old daughter loved it!

So what did we love?

We arrived early after our Bay Area flight! we had stopped off at costco, before arriving. We had groceries that needed in the fridge. Our room was not ready, so I told the lady at check in about our groceries. She went above the mark and let us put our numerous items in the staff fridge! The maid actually took out several lunches to accommodate us!

When we arrived to our 12 th story room! The view was beyond real!! It was like looking at a painting! our room was super clean with modern bamboo cabinets stone bath!

The washing machine was a godsend! They do not offer daily maid but come onc during midweek to clean and give more towels! I actually like this because if I want to be in the room I can and not have to leave for the maid service!!

The area where we were is so conveinant to where we wanted to go! Please get the roadside hulk huli chicken sold on Sunday!!!!!! It is just a half mile down from the hotel!!!!

We loved the royal kahana so much we have booked for April 2014!!!!!!! Aloha

Room Tip: Higher is better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank K s
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've struggled writing this review. On the one hand I feel we got what we paid for - I knew we weren't staying in a luxury condo, on the other hand I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed. We arrived about 2 o'clock and were told that they were completely full so we couldn't check in until 3:00. A little after 3 we went back and were told our room was almost ready. At that point the desk clerk looked at our reservation again and said she had mistakenly thought we were booked for an ocean view rather than ocean front and there were no 2 bedroom ocean fronts available. I was naturally upset as we had booked our room several months before. After talking to her manager, she said they could put us up in the ocean view the first night for no charge and move us to an ocean front the next day. As there really wasn't any other choice we took the offer. I asked how it would work as far as changing rooms with checkout at 11 and checkin not til 3. She assured me it wouldn't be a problem as the room they were putting us in would not be used the next night. We were told housekeeping was just finishing up and we could go on up and wait for her to finish. We get up there and it looked like she had actually just started. Kitchen was in the process of being cleaned, bathrooms were dirty and the floor hadn't been vacuumed. At 4:30 we went ahead and left all our stuff there and went to find something to eat. Not sure what time they finally finished! Room was ok - dated but about what I would've expected for the price.

The next morning we stopped by the front desk about 8:30 to leave my cell phone number so they could let us know when our new room was ready. The same lady was there and she said she had good news - the people had already checked out so our room would be ready by about 9:30 and she would call. We didn't hear anything until about 12:30 when she called and said it was ready and wondered how quickly we could be there to move. I said we were in Kihei and were getting something to eat and then we'd be back. She asked if our stuff was packed and if they could go ahead and move it because they needed the room. I told her no - we hadn't packed and reminded her that she had specifically said they weren't going to use the room that night. I couldn't believe she had the nerve to act angry at me when the fault lay entirely with them. Why would we be expected to spend an entire morning of our vacation waiting on them!

When we got back I asked what had took so long when she had said 9:30 earlier. She said she had talked to my husband "Kevin" earlier and told him there would be a delay. Not sure who Kevin is - but it's not my husband and I'm the only one that had my phone. Never did get an answer on what the delay was.

We got access to our new room (1110), which we were told had been recently updated. It's the one pictured on their website and looks really good in pictures but isn't quite the same in person. It's obvious it's more updated then the first room we had, but if the renovation was recent someone sure has been hard on it. The chairs at the dining table are worn and extremely uncomfortable, the paint on the walls is marked up, the drawers in the dresser of the 2nd bedroom were almost unusable they were so difficult to open and close, half the blinds in the master bedroom had fallen off and were stuck under the bed. The clothes dryer barely dried at all and the showers were so poorly designed there was virtually no way to avoid getting water all over the floor. When I booked the room it was advertised as a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath - but neither unit we saw had the 1/2 bath - not a big deal but misleading. It did have a very nice kitchen and very comfortable beds.

Overall the unit and location were ok. It didn't ruin our trip. If we hadn't had the staff issues initially I probably would have been satisfied with what we got for the price. On the one hand they did try to fix the situation by reimbursing us for the first night. However, none of it should have happened in the first place. Bottom line there are a lot of places to stay in Maui and I don't see any reason to stay at the Royal Kahana again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 29 October 2013

"We stayed in Maui @ Royal Kahana for 2 weeks in # 808."
We arrived late one evening due to a lengthy flight and were impressed from the start with our accomodations. I would have preferred towel rods to rings in the bath vanity area, a vegetable steamer in the kitchen and more lighting in the living room but my husband was satisfied. The condo had been renovated about a yr. ago with granite counter tops and other modern amenities but did not have free wi-fi. We used the pool and beachfront but also travelled to Kapalua Bay for snorkeling and saw weddings galore. We traveled to the southern part of Maui, where we had stayed many yrs. ago with some of our children. We did sightseeing north of Kahana. We dined at Honu and Fleetwoods, the former being our favorite. We shopped at Lahaina Cannery Mall. SO much to see and do! It would be a dream to return again and even be able to have #808 for our accomodations. We might even travel to Haleakala National Park although we had travelled the road to Hana in the past.

Room Tip: "Oceanfront condos have extraordinary views"
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple