“Meh...”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The room wasn't clean; mirrors, doors, molding, headboard, AC - all were so clearly dirty and not cleaned, which really makes it irritating to pay cleaning fee, when clearly they're not cleaning. There were two nice pools (one salt water), but good luck getting a spot - they were always full. Woman at check in was so rude. Talked with her three times (check in, getting parking pass, and to inquire about wrist bands for pool) - rude every single time. You can hear everything outside the rooms - people walking, talking. And when you're walking outside the rooms, you can hear nearly everything inside ( people brushing teeth, showering, talking, TV). You have to pay $17.50 per night for parking. Close to everything, so that was a plus. Bottom line, we won't be back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: You hear everything no matter where you are. You pay for ALL extras.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jodie K
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Aloha AK_Dragonfly,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly to discuss your stay.

Please let me know if you change your mind in regard to staying with us again.

oan@outrigger.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our family of 5 stayed in 2 units for 5 days in early January. Amenities varied greatly between the units. The kids' 2 br unit had a small kitchen and w/d. Our unit only had a microwave. The furnishings in the units and the common areas are very dated - lots of stains and worn spots. My daughter was happy to have her own br, but the tv in it did not work. The showers were nice, but the toilets were from the stoneage. Whatever they saved with low flow water was used up by multiple flushes. Wifi is only available in a couple of common areas and it is very weak. Staff was consistently mediocre, just going through the motions. I never saw one worker smile. There is no sense of customer service. Daily parking fee is just silly. On the other hand, the accommodations are adequate and the location is very handy for walking to shopping, restaurants and the waterfront.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time on the first day free breakfast welcome. It is a very poor sales job.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mary s

Aloha mary s,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize it was not communicated to you ahead of time the differences between a studio and 2 bedroom unit.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay at the property.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We were at Aina Nalu last May for our 30th anniversary. We got in late at night and were given our room where we just crashed. It was a nice room but very small so we got up the next morning and went to the front desk and asked I'd it was possible to upgrade to a larger room. They could not have been more helpful and we moved to a one bedroom. It was just what we wanted. We had the best time, so good in fact that we are going back this May. Aina Nalu and it's staff are awesome!

Room Tip: You need a one bedroom or it is like being in a dorm room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TamiL720

Aloha TamiL720,

thank you for posting your favorable review! We are so pleased to welcome you back to the property to celebrate another anniversary. Please let me know if you need any assistance prior to your stay or would like to make any requests on this reservation.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We traveled with a fairly large group of 12 people the end of December and beginning of January and we had three condos. When the reservation was made it was requested that we be near each other and they did an acceptable job of doing so. I absolutely loved the location of this resort. With 7 kids ranging in age from 14-21, it was great that they could walk to wherever they wanted to go without depending on a driver to get them there.

Our rooms were nicely furnished, although it seemed the kitchen was missing a few basic items, most noticeably measuring cups. I also found it odd that a 2 bedroom condo (that sleeps at least 4) only had dining seats for 2 people (at the bar). We ended up hauling our meals to the pavilion to eat together several times and also ate at the picnic table near the BBQs. The rooms needed some deep cleaning and to be repainted in some areas. The master bedroom air conditioner gave off a bad odor (musty, moldy) so we didn't use it. The bathrooms and kitchen were nicely done.

The only truly negative experience was the discovery of an infestation of bed bugs in one of the bedrooms. While this was not in my condo and I didn't directly deal with the staff about this matter, I believe it was handled satisfactorily. It also seems the $15/day parking fee was a bit steep considering the nightly cost of the condo; however this was adequately advertised and not a surprise upon checkin.

In all we had a very nice stay and I would be likely to stay here again with the location being the biggest plus.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Aloha CAF2014,

thank you for taking the time to post your mainly favorable review. I apologize you were not able to eat together in the unit. We do have some plastic tables and chairs available for guests on a request basis.

I'm glad to hear our staff was able to address your travel companion's issue in a timely manner and it was handled satisfactorily. This is a global issue that we take very seriously and we work hard to prevent situations like this from escalating (or happening in the first place).

It seems that you had a nice time in all and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I liked this hotel, but it was a little like I was living in the stone age. There was no internet in the rooms, only by the pool and in the lobby. It is very annoying to have to walk down to the lobby to use Facebook. I liked the rooms. It had a lot of space. Also they didn't clean your room. You had enough towels to last you your whole stay but, I like it when someone comes and makes your bed every day. I liked that it had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen with a full size fridge, an oven, a microwave and a sink, and a living room. Each bedroom and the living room had their own TV. The only difference was that the TV in the living room had more channels. The bed's were huge. And the air-conditioning was really good. There was a internet cord to plug strait into your laptop, but you had to go to a wifi hotspot to use your phone. I also liked that you could walk ten minutes and you were at restaurants, the beach and shops. Overall I liked it, but would have liked the internet to be more modern.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TK K

Aloha TK K,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize you were not aware ahead of time that we no longer provide daily housekeeping or provide WiFi in the units. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay in spite of those inconveniences. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This is a decent option for those that want the convenience of being very close to town and want simple, home-style lodging. The hotel is an easy walk to shops, bars and a couple of beaches.

Rooms may look a little dated, but are clean and modest. Air-conditioning only in the lounge room. There is a sofa bed in the lounge, with a double in the bedroom. A small kitchen makes it ideal for families. There is also a laundry room, where they provide washing powder and a dryer for you. The bathroom is a good size, with some amenities also provided to guests. Given this is more an apartment style lodging, there is no housekeeping around to clean up your mess, which may suit a few people. Note there is a $15 cleaning fee everyone pays for housekeeping to clean up after you check out.

The place has a choice of 2 pools. One has barbecue facilities, but poor wifi access. The other pool is slightly bigger and there is a complex next to it for shade, toilets and stronger wifi access. You can also find cabanas and a spa here.

Parking is available at $17.50 plus taxes per day. Staff are generally ok. Friendly and courteous, but we had little interaction with them aside from checking in and out.

Overall, a decent place if on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Aloha TravellingCarlito,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. You have noted a lot of information that may be helpful to other guests. I'm not sure which $15 cleaning fee you are referring to but you are correct that there is a check out cleaning fee for each of the units when you check out.

There are also grills located for guest use behind the building at the saltwater pool. So guests may grill at either pool.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent there only three night but we loved to spend more. Very nice apartment with all kind of furniture, It is a bit expensive but it has absolutely everything. Close to the beach, to supermarket and church.
The attention of the desk is regular. They didn't have our kids booked and they had to sleep on a very uncomfortable sofa bed with a lot of dangerous pieces of irons very easy to step on them and hurt your knee...
The pool is very nice warm plus the jacuzzi very hot! too much probably!
For the price you pays it should have the cleaning service as well but it is ok.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Aloha freewave,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I do apologize it was not communicated to you ahead of time about the bedding. You may want to consider 2 bedroom accommodations for your next stay with us.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us.

oan@outrigger.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului

Been to Aina Nalu? Share your experiences!