“perfect family accommodations”

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
West Sayville, New York
“perfect family accommodations”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We rented a 2 bed 2 bath condo in April and it was the perfect set up for our family. The condo was spotless and updated beautifully. (think Hawaiian pottery barn style). Tons of floor to ceiling windows and light. Convenient for warming up leftovers and having snacks, drinks, and breakfast always on hand. the staff was friendly and helpful. The washer dryer priceless on a beach vacation. we loved the pools and spa. The grounds were constantly being maintained. only seemed very busy once in the whole 6 days we were there. otherwise very quiet and peaceful. You can walk to just about anything in town as well.

Room Tip: stay on the second floor if you want more privacy with the shades and windows open.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Aloha readbook3,

thank you for taking the time to post your complimentary review. I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It's wonderful when travelers who stay with us for the first time, truly enjoy their stay. I will pass along your comments about the staff.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

oan@outrigger.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I go to Maui yearly, and this will be my pick from here on out. We’ve stayed at most of the major resorts and wanted to try something different.

Disclaimer: If you’re someone who needs free daily maid service, room service, spa or kids club, and food & alcohol onsite, this isn’t for you. You DO have the option to pay extra for daily, or twice weekly, etc maid service if you need it. I believe it was somewhere around $25-50/day depending on what you needed. We stayed 7 nights and didn't need a maid to come in once. There are stairs only, no elevators here.

There were lots of couples young and old, families and singles, truly a one fits all kind of place.

We had a nice one-bedroom condo on the 2nd floor of the eucalyptus building. (It had a pull out sofa, so we could’ve gotten 4 people in there). It was clean and quiet.

What I LOVED:
• Location: This is about 1 block back from the banyan tree on Front Street in the heart of Lahaina. This means you’re walking distance to tons of restaurants, shops, etc. Lahaina also has events Friday nights (art lovers) and a Saturday craft fair (under the banyan tree). You’re also walking distance to the harbor where many of the boats offering activities depart from.
• Our condo was recently updated, all the furniture was new-ish and didn’t show any wear and tear, the kitchen and bathroom were both nicely updated. (Our kitchen was FULLY stocked with cookware, blender, toaster, Tupperware, etc etc.)
• Washer/dryer in the unit and I only had to ask the front desk to receive more soap. Many condos I’ve stayed at, would charge for extra soap or wouldn’t offer it and I would have to purchase at a grocery store.
• Grocery store (foodland) within walking distance (3 blocks) (We were on LA time, and up at 4am almost everyday, I was thankful to be able to get breakfast stuff so we weren’t starving by the time nearby restaurants opened)
• Two pools to pick from, the larger salt-water pool being my favorite, it was also never crowded like the large resorts. Theres also a large grass area by that pool.
• Free cabanas & BBQ’s at the pools (first come first serve)
• You can enjoy that cocktail at dinner and walk back to the condo, no worries.
• SAFE- I mostly travel alone with my young daughter, we had no issues walking around the resort or to and from Front Street at any hour of the day. We didn’t have one questionable experience, or even that feeling of it being a possibility.

What I didn’t love:
• I like really nice sheets, and they weren’t really nice. I’m guessing these were average sheets.
• Our unit could have used a new mattress; it felt like an older one.
• No WIFI in the rooms, only hard connections
• Mosquitos at the pool. Apparently, I am delicious, they loved me.

TIPS:
Rental car: Unless you plan on driving to sightsee everyday, you don’t need a car your whole trip. We had one, but several people we met did not and they didn’t seem to be suffering without one.
Parking: If you don’t want to pay $17/day for parking, park on the street.
Washer/Dryer: The studios do not have washer/dryers
1st floor vs 2nd floor: parking is in front of each building (there are 4 with parking on each side) so almost ALL first level condos will have cars parked in front of them at some point(think going to bed and lights from a car parking just in front of your unit.) Also all the buildings look alike, we found many people lost looking for the pool, the trash etc so there’s a lot of foot traffic by the 1st floor units as well. Given they all have the glass shutter-like windows, this means you hear when people walk by. 2nd floor units also have vaulted ceilings and are brighter than 1st floor units.
Short cut: there’s a shortcut to front street, walk out near the main gate and there’s a street called “hale street” it looks like an ally that ends behind a building, but there’s a walkway through the large building which puts you on front street.
Exercise: we found that by walking down Wainee street to prison street, then prison street towards the ocean, then front street towards Dickenson, then back to wainee, was a nice 2 mile walk. You can extend another several blocks easily.
Fees: There are fees for parking and for cleaning when you leave. It’s listed, people just have a hard time seeing it because it’s written and not included on the total with taxes.
View: Garden/pool. There are no ocean view rooms as you’re about 2 blocks from it.
Small children: The salt-water pool is about 5-7 feet deep all the way around, this wouldn’t be my pool pick for kids who aren’t great swimmers, though many little kids had arm floaties and seemed to do fine.
Beaches within walking distance: There are two walk-able swimmable beaches on either side of the harbor. The one to the left (facing the ocean) is better for surfing; the one on the right <baby beach> is better for small kids and paddle boarding (no waves)

Must do activity: Clear kayak rental. This is great for people who are not fond of swimming, or smaller children who don’t like snorkeling. My daughter isn’t big on swimming, so I rented the clear kayak (seats two) for two hours (Makena Landing on the south side of the island) and it was INCREDIBLE. The bottoms of the kayaks are some kind of plastic and you’re able to see everything you kayak over. Plus they launch them near two lava tubes, which had an amazing array of live coral and sea life. We even had a turtle come and say hello to us. (BOOK the 7am time slot, less people and more active sea life) www.clearkayaksmaui.com

Room Tip: book 2nd floor rooms, not 1st floor
8 Thank liz e
Aloha liz e,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable and very informative review. Your disclaimer is very helpful as staying in a condo while on vacation while not for everyone is a great choice for many travelers.

Please contact me in regard to the unit you stayed in as we would like to pass along the mattress comments to them. I will be sure to forward the other things you did not love to management.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property soon. Please contact me if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is our third stay at Aina Nalu, and once again, we loved everything about our condo. The check-in process is smooth and welcoming, and our vacation home was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The setting is amazing, with lush gardens and beautiful pool areas offering the serene setting of a tropical paradise with mountains as the backdrop, and yet only 5 minutes from the shops and restaurants of Lahaina. What a perfect place to unwind and relax after a day of touring! We love the new policy of a one-time cleaning fee at the end of our stay, as we don't need someone picking up after us each day, but for those who desire it, daily cleaning is also an option.

Aina Nalu is an inexpensive way to experience all that Maui has to offer. We consider it our Maui home, and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper level with a view of the mountains!
1 Thank Luvztravl2
Aloha luvz2travl,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I would also like to thank you for continuing to stay with us here at the property. You have also noted some helpful information for our future guests.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your 4th stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We are a Make A Wish Family that had the fortune to spend 8 days at the Aina Nalu. It was perfect for us. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit on the first floor and found it to be quiet, clean, spacious and well maintained. Upon arrival I thought I was going to have to take care of some of the room incidentals but the manager was wonderful and told me that they were taking care of it for us as we were a Make A Wish family. My sons both used the saltwater pool and loved it. Access for my son can be an issue as he uses a prosthetic or crutches, but the grounds are laid out in a way that makes them very accessible and easy to get around. The grounds are beautiful; full of lush tropical vegetation. We used our kitchen for breakfast every morning and made use of the washer dryer. Next time we will bring less clothing as it is so easy to wash and dry in the unit. The only downside was the concierge who turned out to be more of a poor saleswoman than concierge, I tried 3 times to get information from her that wasn't a sales pitch, but never did get what I wanted. In the end I used my guide books and my smarts to get our family the vacation they had dreamed of. Do the drive to Hana, which she had told me not to do, it's worth every single breath-taking and scary moment!! We were able to walk every night to Front Street to eat and not worry about driving. Safety is a non-issue, we walked around the entire town early, late, day, night; no one ever even came close to bothering us. Mahalo to the people at Aina Nalu who helped make my son's wish come true!! We hope to see you again in the near future.

2 Thank Bridgit123
Aloha Bridgit123,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm so glad your family was able to enjoy your stay with us. I will pass along your comments to the Front Office Manager as I'm sure she will be pleased you enjoyed your stay as well.

I apologize that our concierge was not able to provide you with the customer service you were expecting. If you would like to contact me directly to provide more information I can be sure to pass this along to the appropriate person.

I'm glad you were able to do the drive to Hana and also felt walking around the general area felt safe. I realize that is sometimes a concern while on vacation.

We are so pleased that your son enjoyed his stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Please let me know if you need any assistance with a future stay.

Great Falls, Montana
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We just got home yesterday (two adults)after spending 5 nights at Aina Nalu and loving it. We had a one bedroom overlooking the pool area with a full kitchen. Upon arrival, they were not quite ready for us and then upgraded us for having to wait and it was worth it. The king size bed was very comfortable, the washer and dryer in the bathroom was perfect because we had traveled light and washed several small clothing loads. Aina Nalu is within easy walking distance of the water and all the shops on Front Street. Of the staff we met, all were very nice, friendly and helpful. We spent time in the salt pool which was nice and also the Jacuzzi. The other pool was a bit too cool for us. We had just spent 3 nights on Oahu in a dump and were glad to find what we did in Lahaina. Aloha and I hope this helps someone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ksmc M
OutriggerAinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Aloha ksmc M,

thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm pleased our Front Desk was able to upgrade you to the 1 bedroom unit. The washer and dryer as well as full kitchen definitely helps with a 5 night stay.

I will be sure to pass along your comments in regard to the staff. I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations after your other stay in Hawaii. It's wonderful you were able to enjoy the convenience of our location as well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Not so nice facility, but in convenient location, that is only good thing about the hotel.
Rooster woke us up in 4:30 am in the morning. They charge you $17.50 for parking per day and $115 for cleaning. Well, too bad.

1 Thank Sam K
Aloha Sam K,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us and were not aware of the fees that are charged. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your stay and find out other ways it could have been better. I'm glad you enjoyed the convenience of the property.

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We just got back from Maui and I thought i would review our stay at the Aina Nalu.
we had a 2 bedroom / 2 bath condo that was very clean and well maintained. The washer and dryer were also in top shape. The kitchen looked as though it had been through a recent reno. We loved the grounds around the place, even the chickens running about near the saltwater pool. there are huge amounts of different trees and flowers making for a very tropical vibe. The big pool was very busy most of the time we spent there. There were lots of kids and their families hanging about making it sometimes difficult to grab a loung chair. The staff was always friendly and easy to deal with. If you want to be right in Lahaina then I would have no problems recommending the Aiana Nalu. I found it really nice to go out for drinks and dinner and not have to worry about finding a taxi after.

1 Thank BCAI
Aloha BCAI,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is hard to know on which days the pool area is busy but I'm glad you were able to enjoy the plants and flowers around the property. It seems you were also able to enjoy our convenient location.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.