“Tropical Oasis in the Heart of Lahaina Town”
Review of Aina Nalu

Aina Nalu
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 10 October 2008

2 Nights from Oct 9th to 11th.
2 Guest
Unit: K-204 (2 Bedroom, 2 Bath Condo Unit)
Room Rate: $150 a night (Kamaaina (Hawaii Resident) Rate)

Pros: Walking distance to Lahaina Town, Beautifully remodeled units, Friendly staff, nice swimming pools.

Cons: $15 a day parking, sprawling resort, swimming beach about 10 minutes away.

About a year or so ago, the former Maui Islander, economy hotel was converted to a beautifully redone Outrigger managed condotel. All units were remodeled from top to bottom with marble tiles, black counter tops and bedding.

We really love the convenient location to Lahaina town, with its abundance of shopping and dining. We had reservations for a 1 bedroom unit, but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. Unit K-204 had a full kitchen, with all the amenities. Everything was still brand new.

With visitor counts down due to the declining financial market and high fuel prices, this sprawling resort was practically empty. The only exceptions were the permanent residents and a handful of guests. We had the pool, all to ouryourselves and could park our car, anywhere we wanted.

I would definitely recommend this property and return the next time we are on the West Side of Maui.

SGS Pearlridge, Hawaii 101108

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SGerard_S84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed 28 September 2008

Great location a couple of blocks from the waterfront making it convenient and not as expensive as hotels on the water. Property appears to have recently been renovated. Our unit was a studio and had a nice kitchenette area. Unit had a bit of a musty smell & a window-type A/C unit that was noisy- neither of which was unbearable. The downside: our unit (F101) was at the back of the property by the dumpsters (allowing us a daily view of the dumpster divers) and the highway (noisey!!). The studio units are narrow, so to accomodiate the bed they use king size headboards and put queen size beds on the "longways." To sleep on the bed in the correct orientation, one of us would have had to sleep "longways" up against the head board. We opted to have our heads at the headboard, which meant our feet dangled over the end. Because of a table in the room, this was the only way the beds would fit into the room. After one sleepless night, I went to the front desk & asked to be moved. The clerk refused & said that all studio rooms were this way; to move me would require an upgrade (at my expense). She went further to state that had I paid for a 1 bedroom she would upgrade me to a 2 bedroom at no cost; but could not upgrade me to anything as I only paid for a studio. When I pointed out that the property was not anywhere near capacity (parking lot was very empty & there were not many people around) she again refused. So in short, the property was nice, but the main purpose of a hotel room is to sleep and this property did not live up to that expectation. They would be better to remove the tables & have guests comfortable in the beds.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Normally we don't like to stay in Lahaina, but I planned on getting my scuba certification at an area dive shop (as well as run the Maui Half Marathon from Kaanapali) and I wanted a condo where I could walk to & from school every day. I also wanted my husband to be able to walk to Front Street and occupy his time while I was diving. Aina Nalu fit the bill nicely (thank goodness, because there aren't too many places to stay in Lahaina).

I found a good rate on greathawaiivacations.com, and though I don't normally book through a third party, I was glad I did, as our rep was able to waive the stupid $15/day parking fee. (On my own, I wouldn't have been able to do that - Aina Nalu is cracking down on waiving that fee to the general public.) Parking on the street was somewhat doable depending on time of day, but parking in their (almost-empty) lot is way preferable.

As the other posts mention, the decor of the condos is quite lovely - modern but warm. Our room didn't get a lot of sunlight (weird for Hawaii) and our uninspiring view was of the parking lot, but the amenities were good - well-equipped kitchen, comfy bed, washer/dryer with detergent, flat-screen TVs, elegant shower, etc. We could sometimes get a weak WiFi signal in our room. (I refuse to pay for internet access.) There were always a handful of teeny-tiny bugs about, but I saw them elsewhere on the island and there's NO way to keep them out. We kept our food well-stored and didn't care about them. Having a full kitchen was awesome. (Bring/obtain a Safeway club card and save an armload at the store in the Cannery Mall just up the highway. Nice wine selection, everything you could need.)

The immediate feel as you enter from the street is that of a high-end motel with the parking spaces everywhere, but once inside, the place is like heaven. The grounds are immaculate, though as mentioned, the larger pool in the back is next to the highway and there's traffic noise. Not horrendous, but the smaller pool is very quiet (though we got bitten by mosquitoes more there). The neighborhood is residential and felt like our stay on Grinnell St. in Key West.

If you're planning a get-together, the large pool has an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL covered party space (with free WiFi). The bathrooms rival those I've used in fancy NYC restaurants, there's a wet bar, lots of seating/lounging areas, a dining table and a beautiful view of the pool. It can be reserved, and with the tiki torches lit at night, would be a dreamy location for an event.

Service was wonderful. We hang a "do not disturb" sign most days, but when we wanted our towels changed or more laundry detergent, we got excellent service. The front desk was helpful and we got a nice, reusable "green" (literally & figuratively) shopping bag with coupons when we checked in. I used the tote the entire vacation and still do back at home. The free 8 am coffee at the large pool was nice, though we usually take coffee much earlier, so we usually brewed in-room.

I took tons of photos of the property and room if anyone's interested.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martrese
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay and were very pleased. We stayed in a Studio B106 which was quiet and very nicely furnished. It was more like a standard hotel room with a kitchen including a small fridge and microwave. It was big enough since it was just the two of us. We also chose not to pay the $15 per night parking fee and always found street parking right in front. This may be a problem during busier times.
The grounds very nicely landscaped and there are 2 pool areas. We would spend a couple of hours in the morning at the smaller one. We were lucky and always had the pool to ourselves to swim, read and relax. There is also fresh coffee each morning by the pool.
The location is great, less than a 5 minute walk to Front Street with lots of shopping and restaurants. Also many of the water activities leave from Lahaina which also makes it convenient.
Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AZSun
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We had an overall bad experience. When we checked in we were hungry so we did some light unpacking, then headed into town for dinner. When we came back to the room it was dark, and upon turning on the lights we saw dozens and dozens of cockroaches scurrying through the kitchen - on the counters, in the sink - EVERYWHERE. Note that we hadn't stored or made any food in the kitchen to attract the bugs, it was simply infested! I called the front office, and they responded by sending a man with a can of Raid. He began spraying the Raid all over the kitchen counter, in and under the sinks, etc. I didn't think this was an adequate response (spraying Raid on the kitchen counters didn't seem very effective, appetizing or safe!) So I called the front desk and told them this was not acceptable. We were told to come pick up keys for 3 other rooms and pick a different room. We looked at the other rooms and found no cockroaches, so we moved. Management didn't seem to care about our situation very much. No one helped us move our luggage, and we never got an apology.

All of the rooms did have small ants, but I won't hold that against the resort (plenty of other things to hold against them). We saw those ants everywhere in Lahaina. Just gotta deal with them.

While the rooms were decorated prettily, they were dark, dingy and smelled very musty. Unlike the other resorts that we stayed at on the other islands, there was no lanai. Not a place in which you'd want to spend much time.

Another issue - the $15/day parking charge. This was the only place that charged an additional parking charge (even on Oahu we didn't pay add'l parking), seems like a ripoff.

When we got home from the trip I got an email from the resort, claiming that we broke a refrigerator shelf. The e-mail said they were going to charge my credit card $50, possibly more depending on the final bill. I e-mailed the woman right back, saying that I disputed the charge. Quite frankly, we were so grossed out by the cockroaches in the first room that we were hesitant to use the kitchen or any appliances. We ate out every meal! The woman never responded to my e-mail, and they put a $50 charge on my credit card. I'm disputing it now.

The only thing we did enjoy was the pool. Nice landscaping, and I have to admit that the pool was clean. Even still, I could not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank laurabCanton_MI
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We spent five nights at the Outrigger in Lahaina while attending a wedding elsewhere on Maui. The hotel was great. It's a condo-style hotel so don't expect a restaurant or bar on the property but you're so close to main street Lahaina none of that matters. (While the hotel is close to Lahaina's main drag, the few blocks separating it mean the hotel is quiet and relaxing, not in the thick of it.) The rooms are arranged in blocks within a garden setting. Previous reviewers have complained about the outside of the buildings but the didn't bother us. We were upgraded to a two bed room/two bath room, as were two other couples in our party, so it seems they do this if it's your first reservation. The room was fantastic -- clean, spacious, and well equipped. The large full kitchen came in handy for breakfast or snacks throughout the trip. We didn't go swimming in the pool but they have two of them that looked pretty nice. There's also an Expedia travel agent on the property who can book day excursions, for a small booking fee. We used this to book a jet ski trip and the convenience was worth it. All in all, a perfectly nice hotel to which we'd definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smp13
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My Husband and I arrived at Aina Naul Resort on Aug. 10, 2008. It was ALL that I expected to be from the reviews and more. We were greeted by wonderful Islanders and Host of this resort with open arms. Our check-in was so fast and by the time I received my key the bellman had our bags going to our room, we did not have to left a finger. Our one-bedroom condo was so wonderful and it was everything we needed. The condo was so clean and the bathroom was out of this world. We had lot of space and we felt like we were at home. Our room was G106, right by the front lobby so this was a great and quite spot. The pools were great even the salt water pool. My husband and I would go out every morning to the salt water pool and it was just a quite place to be for hours.

One of the previous reviews stated that they had bugs, well let me tell you that there were a few little tiny bugs, but if you don't clean up behind your self you will see them. I guess some people do not even clean up behind themselves at home either. We did not have a problem with bugs.

We were minutes away from front street where all of the shopping and all kinds of great food places.

I had no dislikes of this property and everything was so perfect. If you choose this property you will not go wrong.

Aloha!!