Aina Nalu
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lahaina Inn(Lahaina)
View Hotel
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort(Lahaina)
Kaanapali Alii(Lahaina)
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)
1,223 results
All reviewsfront streetparking feethe salt water poolwasher and dryercleaning feetwo blocksliving roomwithin walking distancefull kitchenper daylarger poolflat screenhot tubdowntown lahainaair conditionerbaby beachrestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We stayed during quiet season, so the hotel was virtually empty. Therefore, when they gave us one of the worst locations in the complex, we were puzzled. We had booked their most expensive two-bedroom garden apartment and they gave us a room opposite the very noisy and busy highway, away from the two pools and right near the bins and cleaner's building. The room decor was nice but location was terrible!!!

It took our husbands quite a while to convince the staff that it was a bad location and that we should be moved. The staff tried to convince us that it would be noiser near the pool. Anyway, we moved and it was perfect. The pool was hardly being used and has reasonable pool hours for noise anyway. Most people would rather hear laughter coming from the pool than airbrakes from huge trucks, I think. Once we were moved, the rooms were beautiful and were perfectly located amongst gardens near the pool and balinese daybeds.

Unfortunately though there was only enough chairs in the apartment for 3 adults - 2 seater-lounge and one arm chair, which was also a bit strange, considering the apartment is for families of at least 4.

The daytime staff were definitely less than helpful but the pool, gardens, rooms and price made up for their disinterest. Just make sure they don't put you anywhere near the main highway. Request a room facing the main pool and Balinese entertaining area, that isn't on the highway side of the complex.

Don't expect the staff to go out of their way to help and just enjoy the location close to Lahaina old town, the pool and nicely furnished apartment. Based on price, room style and location in Lahaina, I would stay there again but I would be very specific about room location.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank sydneyzebra
Reviewed 10 October 2008

2 Nights from Oct 9th to 11th.
2 Guest
Unit: K-204 (2 Bedroom, 2 Bath Condo Unit)
Room Rate: $150 a night (Kamaaina (Hawaii Resident) Rate)

Pros: Walking distance to Lahaina Town, Beautifully remodeled units, Friendly staff, nice swimming pools.

Cons: $15 a day parking, sprawling resort, swimming beach about 10 minutes away.

About a year or so ago, the former Maui Islander, economy hotel was converted to a beautifully redone Outrigger managed condotel. All units were remodeled from top to bottom with marble tiles, black counter tops and bedding.

We really love the convenient location to Lahaina town, with its abundance of shopping and dining. We had reservations for a 1 bedroom unit, but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. Unit K-204 had a full kitchen, with all the amenities. Everything was still brand new.

With visitor counts down due to the declining financial market and high fuel prices, this sprawling resort was practically empty. The only exceptions were the permanent residents and a handful of guests. We had the pool, all to ouryourselves and could park our car, anywhere we wanted.

I would definitely recommend this property and return the next time we are on the West Side of Maui.

SGS Pearlridge, Hawaii 101108

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SGerard_S84
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Great location a couple of blocks from the waterfront making it convenient and not as expensive as hotels on the water. Property appears to have recently been renovated. Our unit was a studio and had a nice kitchenette area. Unit had a bit of a musty smell & a window-type A/C unit that was noisy- neither of which was unbearable. The downside: our unit (F101) was at the back of the property by the dumpsters (allowing us a daily view of the dumpster divers) and the highway (noisey!!). The studio units are narrow, so to accomodiate the bed they use king size headboards and put queen size beds on the "longways." To sleep on the bed in the correct orientation, one of us would have had to sleep "longways" up against the head board. We opted to have our heads at the headboard, which meant our feet dangled over the end. Because of a table in the room, this was the only way the beds would fit into the room. After one sleepless night, I went to the front desk & asked to be moved. The clerk refused & said that all studio rooms were this way; to move me would require an upgrade (at my expense). She went further to state that had I paid for a 1 bedroom she would upgrade me to a 2 bedroom at no cost; but could not upgrade me to anything as I only paid for a studio. When I pointed out that the property was not anywhere near capacity (parking lot was very empty & there were not many people around) she again refused. So in short, the property was nice, but the main purpose of a hotel room is to sleep and this property did not live up to that expectation. They would be better to remove the tables & have guests comfortable in the beds.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Normally we don't like to stay in Lahaina, but I planned on getting my scuba certification at an area dive shop (as well as run the Maui Half Marathon from Kaanapali) and I wanted a condo where I could walk to & from school every day. I also wanted my husband to be able to walk to Front Street and occupy his time while I was diving. Aina Nalu fit the bill nicely (thank goodness, because there aren't too many places to stay in Lahaina).

I found a good rate on greathawaiivacations.com, and though I don't normally book through a third party, I was glad I did, as our rep was able to waive the stupid $15/day parking fee. (On my own, I wouldn't have been able to do that - Aina Nalu is cracking down on waiving that fee to the general public.) Parking on the street was somewhat doable depending on time of day, but parking in their (almost-empty) lot is way preferable.

As the other posts mention, the decor of the condos is quite lovely - modern but warm. Our room didn't get a lot of sunlight (weird for Hawaii) and our uninspiring view was of the parking lot, but the amenities were good - well-equipped kitchen, comfy bed, washer/dryer with detergent, flat-screen TVs, elegant shower, etc. We could sometimes get a weak WiFi signal in our room. (I refuse to pay for internet access.) There were always a handful of teeny-tiny bugs about, but I saw them elsewhere on the island and there's NO way to keep them out. We kept our food well-stored and didn't care about them. Having a full kitchen was awesome. (Bring/obtain a Safeway club card and save an armload at the store in the Cannery Mall just up the highway. Nice wine selection, everything you could need.)

The immediate feel as you enter from the street is that of a high-end motel with the parking spaces everywhere, but once inside, the place is like heaven. The grounds are immaculate, though as mentioned, the larger pool in the back is next to the highway and there's traffic noise. Not horrendous, but the smaller pool is very quiet (though we got bitten by mosquitoes more there). The neighborhood is residential and felt like our stay on Grinnell St. in Key West.

If you're planning a get-together, the large pool has an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL covered party space (with free WiFi). The bathrooms rival those I've used in fancy NYC restaurants, there's a wet bar, lots of seating/lounging areas, a dining table and a beautiful view of the pool. It can be reserved, and with the tiki torches lit at night, would be a dreamy location for an event.

Service was wonderful. We hang a "do not disturb" sign most days, but when we wanted our towels changed or more laundry detergent, we got excellent service. The front desk was helpful and we got a nice, reusable "green" (literally & figuratively) shopping bag with coupons when we checked in. I used the tote the entire vacation and still do back at home. The free 8 am coffee at the large pool was nice, though we usually take coffee much earlier, so we usually brewed in-room.

I took tons of photos of the property and room if anyone's interested.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Martrese
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay and were very pleased. We stayed in a Studio B106 which was quiet and very nicely furnished. It was more like a standard hotel room with a kitchen including a small fridge and microwave. It was big enough since it was just the two of us. We also chose not to pay the $15 per night parking fee and always found street parking right in front. This may be a problem during busier times.
The grounds very nicely landscaped and there are 2 pool areas. We would spend a couple of hours in the morning at the smaller one. We were lucky and always had the pool to ourselves to swim, read and relax. There is also fresh coffee each morning by the pool.
The location is great, less than a 5 minute walk to Front Street with lots of shopping and restaurants. Also many of the water activities leave from Lahaina which also makes it convenient.
Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple