Open today: 06:00 - 22:00
Review Highlights
Worked hard and put us on fish

Great day on the water with two (capt. Fuzzy and Andy) knowledgeable fishermen. The boat was clean... read more

Reviewed 7 January 2021
SIDNEYPOINTERS
Yippie Ki-Yay

First of all - after reading some of the previous reviews - it seems like this disclaimer should be... read more

Reviewed 11 December 2020
Grey056
Los Angeles, California

Recommended experiences in and around Maui
from US$31.74
from US$79.95
from US$75.60
from US$45.22
More Info
All reviews yellowfin tuna bait fish private charter great trip hooked up small tuna non stop action rough seas highly recommend these guys boat ride hr trip blue marlin top notch buoy trolling fuzzy fished
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 October 2015

We did a great deal of research on fishing charters before booking with Die Hard. One thing we learned, was ask for Captain Fuzzy (which we did). We showed up as we were told to though there was no Captain Fuzzy, we were less then thrilled. There were wave warnings out and I was very glad I'd read to take motion sickness pills the night before and the day of (well BEFORE you're on the water - if you take it on the water, it's too late). A couple other people on the boat, chummed the water for us.

We were excited that we were able to go out and fish for bait though. It proved to be more difficult for some then others, my husband (an avid fisherman) caught most of the bait. The rest of us didn't fare so well, and one lady spent most of this time trying not to vomit. My husband even got to catch a shark that came after his bait - we did not take the shark out of the water due to Hawaiian culture and it was released quickly.

We eventually got to the FID we were going to fish at. We drew cards for who got the 1st fish, etc. When the rods started going I was a little disappointed - we do no get to touch the rods aside from reeling in. No casting, no jigging, nothing. Basically all the work we did was just turn the crank (boo). I didn't actually feel like I was fishing at all. We caught a lot of tuna, despite my husbands desire to catch a Mahi, we didn't.

The crew pretty much kept to themselves the entire trip and weren't much for socializing and asking if we had any questions, etc. Most of the time they were working on the lines, or they were upstairs away from the "tourists." The entire journey back to Maui they stayed up top while the guests got to know each other.

We pulled in with our flags flying high saying we'd caught tuna and a shark. They were great with filleting the fish for us and helping us package it to make at the condo. The fish was excellent (and I don't like fish).

My husband was still disappointed he didn't have a chance to get a Mahi Mahi so we went back to the docks a couple days later and talked directly to Fuzzy. He got my husband on a boat with him the following day. Because of the expense I decided to save us a couple bucks and hope that he'd catch his fish.

They set out and it sounds like he had a much different experience with Fuzzy. He, and another guy had spent a large portion of the travel time upstairs helping spot for whales. Fuzzy was very outgoing and kept them entertained. They came into the dock with a couple Mahi as well as some tuna! My husband had a great time out the 2nd time.

I would have given Die Hard 3*s for our 1st experience, but I bumped it up to 4* because they did produce the fish with Fuzzy the 2nd day and it sounds like a better crew.

Date of experience: December 2014
2  Thank vegas_gurl
Reviewed 30 June 2015

We travelled from New Zealand and booked this trip four months in advance. As previously discussed with them we contacted them the day before the trip to find out our trip was cancelled because they had not paid there docking fees. They made no effort to contact us and other charters were booked out. ....... What more can you say??

Date of experience: June 2015
3  Thank kater761
Reviewed 17 May 2015

I have been sport fishing in Hawaii, Mexico, and California numerous times in my life time. Some were good, but never really gave me the impression what sport fishing should be like. I wanted to work for my fish. Not sit back and have the deck hand bring it in. Die Hard has been the only charter where you worked for your fish and you got a lot of them. Captain Fuzzy is all business. When the bite is on, you become one of his crew. His night trip started at 1 am. You motored out for about 1 1/2 hours and stop and catch the live bait needed to fish. You compete with the sharks to get your bait into the box. Once you have enough, its 4 hours to the buoy. By the time you get there the sun is beginning to rise. You are in open water now and its rough. Waves are coming over the bow and the deck is wet. "Fish On"! is shouted over the wind and you grab your pole and the fight is on. As you struggle with your 30 lb. fish the guy next to you has one on. Then another. For 3 hours the bite is on and I never sat down. Fuzzy is constantly yelling at you to get the line back in the water or grab your pole again. By far this was the best fishing I have ever experienced.

The only thing I wish they would do was let you have more of your catch. They sell most of the fish that you catch and keep the money. They did give me enough to last my trip.

Date of experience: February 2015
Reviewed 22 April 2015

We spend our winters on Maui and for the past few years I have tried several other fishing charters but none of them even come close to fishing with Captain Fuzzy and Sam. A local friend of mine insisted that I try fishing with Captain Fuzzy so I gave them a try. Been out 4 times with them so far and can't wait for my next time. This is the real McCoy you get up early to be out where the fish are when the sun comes up. You are on an ocean so the ride might be a little (or Very) rough. It's hard work to bring in the bigger fish but what a rush. When the fish are biting it can be downright exhausting but if you love to fish put on your big Boy/Girl pants and get out there with Captain Fuzzy. p.s My worst day fishing is still better than my best day working.

Neil Engman Alberta Canada

Date of experience: February 2015
Reviewed 10 April 2015

Let me start off by saying I have fished charter boats in various countries, including Costa Rica, South Africa, Japan, Mexico etc. so this is not my first rodeo, or should I say fishing trip?
The Boat is a solid Bertram Fishing Vessel. It may not be the most elaborate boat, however I did not charter a luxury yacht, I chartered a Fishing Boat. When you charter a Fishing Boat, you obviously want it to be safe (IT WAS), in addition you want quality gear and tackle (IT WAS) and you want an experienced Captain and First Mate (THEY WERE).
The day before our trip, we received a call around noon (as promised) and were advised we would set sail at 1am the next day. On Monday April 6th, my Son and I started off at 1AM as we met both Fuzzy (The Captain) and Sam (The First Mate) at the Docks. They were fueling the boat, and once fueled, they assisted us in loading our gear on the boat. They had a ice chest full of ice, and we brought drinks and food, as we were told to bring our own food and drinks. We were also told not to bring any bananas, as my understanding is bananas are bad luck.
As we set sail it was apparent it was going to be a rough trip, as the seas were not friendly. I had checked the weather forecast in advance, and was aware we were in for a rough one, however it was even rougher than expected.
It took us a good 2 - 3 hours to get to our main fishing location, and throughout the journey, we were getting bounced around pretty good. My son laid on the bench seat and was tossed off it several times. Each time Sam checked to make sure we were ok. My son and I looked at each other several times and realized this was probably going to be the roughest trip we had ever had on the seas and it turned out it was. (Please note Fuzzy and Sam do not control the seas so the fact we were in high swells was obviously not their fault). I later learned the high winds were causing "rougher than normal" seas, so while most days the seas are fine, this was not going to be a normal day. Just like in life, you have Sunny days and you have Rainy days. Rainy days do not necessarily have to be bad days.
When we reached our fishing site the rough seas continued, however that did not stop Sam from trying to catch a fish. My son and I tried to stand however the boat was rocking, so Sam basically stood at the back of the boat and fished. After a few minutes my son looked at me and told me the seas were getting the best of him and he wanted to head in. I immediately informed Fuzzy and without hesitation, we turned around to head in.
The truth is not only was my son not feeling well but even I was starting to get sea sick, and this was only the second time in 52 years that this happened to me. (Please note this just happened to be a tough day a sea and this is not the norm, so I would not let this deter you from fishing in Maui).
Next comes the shocking part. My son and I fell asleep and were unaware, that while we slept, Captain Fuzzy and Sam were trolling for fish on our way in. Before we knew it Sam was yelling at us to wake up and grab a rod, as we hooked a beautiful Mahi Mahi. I reeled the first one in and just when I finished my son caught a second one.
Captain Fuzzy could have just called it quits, saved fuel and headed in and collected a paycheck, however he didn't. Captain Fuzzy and Sam were determined to catch us fish and they did. So even on a bad day the experienced crew of the Die Hard caught us fish, even when my son and I had accepted the fact we wouldn't catch any.
When you charter a boat there are never any guarantees, however a good Captain and First Mate can make all the difference in the world. Captain Fuzzy and Sam did not quit and you can't ask for anything more in a crew.
We ended up with two beautiful Mahi Mahi's and Captain Fuzzy filleted one of the fish for me (we were offered both fish however I only wanted one) as it was more than enough for my family of four. It is customary to take what you can use and allow the crew to keep the rest as it helps supplement their income as they often sell them to restuarants and/or individuals looking to buy fresh fish.
When we arrived back at the dock Sam made arrangements to deliver our fish to the Makani Kai Island Grill & Bar 658 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761 (808)661-4900. My family went to this restaurant at 5pm for dinner. It turns out Monday is the Chef/Owners day off, however he came in special when he heard Sam had delivered some fresh fish for a family vacationing on the Island. He prepared the fish 3 different ways, charged us a very reasonable rate, and it turned out the food was delicious! I provided his contact information as I am extremely impressed he came in on his day off just to prepare a meal for my family. When you fish on the Die Hard and catch fish, have Sam deliver it to Makani Kai Island Grill, you will not regret it.
In summary, if I could have controlled the weather I would, but I don't have that power. I will tell you Captain Fuzzy and Sam worked hard to catch us fish and you really can't ask for anything more from a crew. They were polite and pleasant and certainly knew what they were doing. It would seem to me on a tough fishing day, if they managed to help my son and I catch fish, that on almost any day they will catch fish. If they don't, it certainly will not be from a lack of effort.
Growing up I read a children's story about how "Fuzzy Wuzzy" was a Bear. Well I can tell you this Fuzzy is a Great Captain. And as far as Sam goes, I am sure you have read Doctor Seuss and "Sam-I-Am", well this Sam can say "Sam-I-Am" a great First Mate.
When I return to Maui, I will certainly fish on the Die Hard again.
MAHALO!!!!!