“Great experience! ”

Die Hard Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Die Hard Sport Fishing catches fish 9 out of 10 times we go out fishing. We leave earliest and use Live bait, We fillet your fish and tell you how to cook it. We supply all the Bait & Tackle. We specialize in Our early departure 8hr fishing trip. We also have 6hr and 4hr fishing trip. Including Bottom fishing Great fun!
Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I went out on Fuzzy and Sam's inaugural charter in their new slip and had a great time! I went really just to watch and experience the deep sea fishing culture. I was a bit leery about leaving at 11pm and going all night but turns out these guys know what they're doing! They said that's when the fish were biting and they were. They caught bait fish on the way out to the buoy which was fun. When we got closer to the buoy Sam woke us up and gave us a quick lesson as to how to handle the rods and what not. Then the fishing began. They baited the rods and got them started. Once a fish bit on, my husband took over and reeled them in. We caught 6 fairly large yellowfin tunas and 2 smaller tunas. Even with only 1 fisherman, they still managed to get all these fish. Fuzzy and Sam are very passionate about sport fishing and very knowledgable. They both helped Jason learn the techniques needed to get the fish in. I was also impressed with how well the managed the boat. They were both constantly doing something, when fuzzy was driving, Sam was getting gear ready and cleaning the boat. If Fuzzy needed to cut the fish or do something else Sam managed the wheel. They worked effortlessly and fluidly as a team with great communication. Would recommend this to anyone who is looking to fish in Maui and we WILL be back!

1  Thank Nicole M
captfuzzydiehard, Director of Sales at Die Hard Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Hi Nicole!

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. Look forward to your next trip with us.

Aloha & Mahalo,
Capt Fuzzy Team and Crew.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"sea sickness"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 2 October 2015

We did a great deal of research on fishing charters before booking with Die Hard. One thing we learned, was ask for Captain Fuzzy (which we did). We showed up as we were told to though there was no Captain Fuzzy, we were less then thrilled. There were wave warnings out and I was very glad I'd read to take motion sickness pills the night before and the day of (well BEFORE you're on the water - if you take it on the water, it's too late). A couple other people on the boat, chummed the water for us.

We were excited that we were able to go out and fish for bait though. It proved to be more difficult for some then others, my husband (an avid fisherman) caught most of the bait. The rest of us didn't fare so well, and one lady spent most of this time trying not to vomit. My husband even got to catch a shark that came after his bait - we did not take the shark out of the water due to Hawaiian culture and it was released quickly.

We eventually got to the FID we were going to fish at. We drew cards for who got the 1st fish, etc. When the rods started going I was a little disappointed - we do no get to touch the rods aside from reeling in. No casting, no jigging, nothing. Basically all the work we did was just turn the crank (boo). I didn't actually feel like I was fishing at all. We caught a lot of tuna, despite my husbands desire to catch a Mahi, we didn't.

The crew pretty much kept to themselves the entire trip and weren't much for socializing and asking if we had any questions, etc. Most of the time they were working on the lines, or they were upstairs away from the "tourists." The entire journey back to Maui they stayed up top while the guests got to know each other.

We pulled in with our flags flying high saying we'd caught tuna and a shark. They were great with filleting the fish for us and helping us package it to make at the condo. The fish was excellent (and I don't like fish).

My husband was still disappointed he didn't have a chance to get a Mahi Mahi so we went back to the docks a couple days later and talked directly to Fuzzy. He got my husband on a boat with him the following day. Because of the expense I decided to save us a couple bucks and hope that he'd catch his fish.

They set out and it sounds like he had a much different experience with Fuzzy. He, and another guy had spent a large portion of the travel time upstairs helping spot for whales. Fuzzy was very outgoing and kept them entertained. They came into the dock with a couple Mahi as well as some tuna! My husband had a great time out the 2nd time.

I would have given Die Hard 3*s for our 1st experience, but I bumped it up to 4* because they did produce the fish with Fuzzy the 2nd day and it sounds like a better crew.

2  Thank vegas_gurl
Reviewed 30 June 2015

We travelled from New Zealand and booked this trip four months in advance. As previously discussed with them we contacted them the day before the trip to find out our trip was cancelled because they had not paid there docking fees. They made no effort to contact us and other charters were booked out. ....... What more can you say??

3  Thank Kate R
Reviewed 16 May 2015

I have been sport fishing in Hawaii, Mexico, and California numerous times in my life time. Some were good, but never really gave me the impression what sport fishing should be like. I wanted to work for my fish. Not sit back and have the deck hand bring it in. Die Hard has been the only charter where you worked for your fish and you got a lot of them. Captain Fuzzy is all business. When the bite is on, you become one of his crew. His night trip started at 1 am. You motored out for about 1 1/2 hours and stop and catch the live bait needed to fish. You compete with the sharks to get your bait into the box. Once you have enough, its 4 hours to the buoy. By the time you get there the sun is beginning to rise. You are in open water now and its rough. Waves are coming over the bow and the deck is wet. "Fish On"! is shouted over the wind and you grab your pole and the fight is on. As you struggle with your 30 lb. fish the guy next to you has one on. Then another. For 3 hours the bite is on and I never sat down. Fuzzy is constantly yelling at you to get the line back in the water or grab your pole again. By far this was the best fishing I have ever experienced.

The only thing I wish they would do was let you have more of your catch. They sell most of the fish that you catch and keep the money. They did give me enough to last my trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 April 2015

We spend our winters on Maui and for the past few years I have tried several other fishing charters but none of them even come close to fishing with Captain Fuzzy and Sam. A local friend of mine insisted that I try fishing with Captain Fuzzy so I gave them a try. Been out 4 times with them so far and can't wait for my next time. This is the real McCoy you get up early to be out where the fish are when the sun comes up. You are on an ocean so the ride might be a little (or Very) rough. It's hard work to bring in the bigger fish but what a rush. When the fish are biting it can be downright exhausting but if you love to fish put on your big Boy/Girl pants and get out there with Captain Fuzzy. p.s My worst day fishing is still better than my best day working.

Neil Engman Alberta Canada