“Condo #204”
Review of Valley Isle Resort

Valley Isle Resort
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We spent 2 weeks in this condo from February 1st 2014 through February 14th. The price was very good at $130.00 a night. First of all my first impression was "filthy". I did however like the location. Here is what we found....1) The picture by the front door was caked in dust, I don't think it had ever been dusted. 2)The bathroom drawers had hair in them, rubber bands, some sticky slimy stuff & dust in them. Groused me out! Nasty! 3)Behind the dresser in the bedroom was filled with dust, a couple of dirty socks & some change. Obviously had never been cleaned. 4) All the pictures in the place were also filthy, & dusty. (by the way who ever decorated this condo had no idea how to decorate!).5) All the drawers in the big dresser in the bedroom were broken, when I tried to open them, they wouldn't go back in. 6) The carpet had nasty dirty spots all over it! It needed cleaned beyond belief! 7) Dust above the toilet in medicine cabinet, never had been cleaned! 8) The top of the refrigerator also had an inch of dust on it! 9) The key holder outside the unit only worked part of the time! It was old & nasty looking also, never kept the key in it for fear of not getting back in. 10) The clock in the bedroom & dining room didn't work. I tried to replace the battery in one & red rust slime was where the battery went. 11) There were sugar ants all over the place! On the counters & walls! I know not to leave food out because they will come, but there was no food out! 12) The bedroom TV was dusty (imagine that) & all the knobs were caked in guck! never used it. 13) All the light switch plates & outlet plates were old & dirty. 14) There was a picture on the wall in the kitchen right behind the freezer door, so every time you opened the fridge it would hit it. I finally just took the dusty thing down so I didn't have to deal with it! The smoke alarm was filthy & dusty. 15) The plug in for the lamp in the dining room had exposed wires & was mickey moused together with some electrical tape, (never used either). 16) The shelf in the closet had numerous items just thrown up there, snorkels, boxes, tennis rackets etc. They should of been in bins & labeled. 17) All the boogie boards, ice chests, rocks, floaties etc were just thrown against the wall on the lanai. For the price it was tolerable, because I had to reclean all the counters, fridge, everything before I felt even remotely clean! House keeping apparently doesn't exist in this unit. Our friends stayed in condo 1105 & talk about night & day! Their place was clean, modern & decorated with class. Our condo also had the wallpaper pealing away in it. Just beware if you rent this place & bring your cleaning products!!!

Room Tip: The fitness center still doesn't exist & total construction site...for years now!
3  Thank islands

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Just finishing up a stay at the Valley Isle Resort. My wife & I are members of Worldmark, and are staying in one of the 14 units they own here (room 701). First, the complaints, then I will follow with the positives (I promise). Apparently they had a fire here over 1-1/2 years ago which wiped out the fitness center, and Worldmark didn't see fit to mention that to us in any communication. They still have the fitness center listed as an amenity on the Worldmark website - and I'm not real happy about that, especially since there apparently has been no effort to come up with a "deal" on alternate facilities close by. Reception only offered the suggestion to use another resort's facilities down the road for full rate. No hot tub on site, the ventilation fan in the unit's bathroom doesn't work so there's absolutely no ventilation in the small combined toilet/shower area. No A/C so it gets a little stuffy in the unit unless you open the front door and the lanai slider to get a cross breeze - but ceiling fans help keep the air moving. Neither bed (this is a 1-bedroom unit with a Murphy bed in the living area) is particularly comfortable, on the soft side & kind of lumpy/saggy,. They are also not the worst I have ever slept on, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them with something firmer. No full length couch, only two love-seat sized chairs with wooden arms leaving you nothing except the beds or floor to stretch out on. Parking spaces are a little tight so rent a smaller car, otherwise park a ways away from the building & walk a few extra feet.
The positives: great location, right on the beach with a good view of the water and sunsets from the lanai. Lanai has four chairs & table, & also there is a table with 4 chairs inside. Unit is clean & living area is good sized. Full kitchen with all necessary items - pots/pans/dishes/cutlery. Unit has washer/dryer. Multiple whale sightings, bring your binoculars. Pub across the road has good but pricey food. Boss Frog's outlet across the street sells & rents water/snorkel gear, also has some decent deals on excursions - the best deal being their 2 for $30 whale watch excursions. They will try to sell you the excursion on their boat which leaves Maalaea Harbor (40 minute drive) but ask them for the same deal on a noon departure from Lahaina (less than 15 minutes away). Reception is friendly but I get the impression they are tired of operating out of unit 105 rather than having a real reception area. I did not notice or hear any construction going on to replace the destroyed reception area & fitness center - something is keeping them from doing any work even though obviously it is a construction area. Also, reception has a limited supply of beach chairs/umbrellas to loan out - we got lucky and snagged a couple of chairs & a beach umbrella to use during our week at no cost. Much appreciated little "extra".
All in all, I am a bit disappointed in this overall experience - falls short of Worldmark's standards of offering excellent value due to the issues I listed above. Although I have been coming to Maui for over 30 years and always have stayed on the west side, I most likely will stay in Kihei on my next trip if I use Worldmark.

Room Tip: First three room#'s for each of the first 6 floors (ex. 601, 602, 603, 501, 502, 503, etc.) hav...
5  Thank Neilzig
VIR-Rental-Owners, Owner at Valley Isle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

As we have mentioned many times before, of the 120 condo units at Valley Isle Resort, there are 35 timeshare condos operated by 2 timeshare companies, a small number of full-time residents, and the majority of the remaining condos are privately owned vacation rentals that are rented directly from the owners or through on-island agents. We mention this so that potential guests realize that negative comments about the timeshare units and communications from the timeshare companies, do not apply to all of the Resort condos. There are many non-timeshare, personally decorated, privately owned and well-maintained condos that are available at the Resort.

As representatives of vacation rental owners’ group, we would hope that Neilzig has voiced his complaints regarding the poor communication and furnishings he felt in need of replacement, directly to Worldmark, as they are the only ones who can do anything to address his concerns. Looking at their website, they do indeed still advertise the fitness center which was on the Resort property, but was not operated by Worldmark and required a private membership. However, the Worldmark website does not include a hot tub in the list of amenities, and it does clearly state that “units do not have air conditioning”, so there is no reason that the guest should have expected these amenities.

We do want to thank Neilzig for the positive comments, since we feel that all of the condos at the Resort, whether timeshare condos or privately owned and operated vacation rentals offer some of the best oceanfront views available on Maui and a quiet, tropical home base for exploring Maui.

Regarding the reconstruction of areas affected by the fire, work is underway to restore the front office reception area and completion is expected in May 2014. Other than a less than desirable appearance from the parking lot, the Resort is back to normal, offering guests the enjoyable tropical experience they have come to expect from the Valley Isle.

Due to legal issues with the health club owner, the Association has not been able to proceed with steps to rebuild the health club building. The process of obtaining the necessary permits from Maui condo, which is expected to take about 2 years has now been started. Actual construction will probably not start for another 2-3 years. Continued status and pictures regarding the fire restoration and resort appearance can be found at: www.ValleyIsleResort.com/fire.html.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have stayed here in a 2BR, 1BR and Studio...and actually the Studio had the best view, although ALL were view accommodations. The staff we dealt with last (Sept 2013) were the best we ever had (they were having to work in an office that has been displaced into an actual unit due to the fire). I've never had any issues with any units (the ones I use are owned by Worldmark, BTW) Never any issues getting a comfy beach lounge chair on their beach, but watch for the sudden drop-off once you get out a bit in the water! For groceries I've had the best luck with nearby Napili Market. The pizza joint across the street is LOUD but has decent pizza. Cheap breakfast is next door at Kahana Sands for limited times on certain days, is $5.00!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jusjada
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in unit #906. The view was spectacular and the unit had been recently recarpeted. It's a studio though and the Murphy bed could have been more comfortable. But that's our only complaint. The unit was quite large. We will definitely be back. The whales gave us entertaining shows every day from our lanai.

The week we were there (the first week of February) the renovation walls came down around the pool area and we could once again walk through the front atrium area. Yay. It's been over a year since the fire at the health club.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed in Valley Isle room #902. We loved our stay! The view is remarkable!!! We felt comfy and at home in our condo. Drinking coffee and looking off our lanai was most wonderful in the early hours of the morning, you can even see the whales in the distance! The area was perfect for us. Would love to come back again!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank dberglund
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I reserved a two bedroom at Valley Isle through Vacations International - my parents have some timeshare points with VI. We were assigned a top floor (12th floor) room overlooking the ocean. Excellent view. We love the snorkel in Hawaii and enjoyed going to Kaanapali (south) or Napili (north) from Valley Isle. I have to say the snorkeling at the building was very bad. We discovered a lower cost restaurant next door with a happy hour but we never got a chance to check it out. The restoration of the front of the building after the fire is progressing slowly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ksamsed
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Unit 804 was perfect, as always. There still is construction going on in the fire damaged areas, but the noise was minimal, and it does not affect the condo area. The grounds and pool area are beautiful. Our condo was equipped with all the essentials, including snorkel gear and bogie boards. The views from the lanai are beyond compare, and the sandy beach was perfect for walking and swimming. We saw whales galore, and the sea turtles came to visit each day. I wouldn't change a thing, and we hopefully will be back for years to come.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple